Can The Habs Buy Players Out?

Prime Minister Koivu

I guess you'd like to buy bonk's contract.

doing so, the rest of the contract will be counted as part of the salary cap.

I know he's not giving much for his salary but the siuation is not critical either.

sundstrom, streit, dagenais vandermeer won't be back so we save some cap room.

ryder won't get a big raise, huet could double his salary witch would bring him up to 1M

bulis should get 1.5M maybe

now, if with some miracle, we do get rid of theodore and his fat contract, I'm sure we'll be aggressive on the free agent market

as for brisebois, he wasn't bought out. the canadiens had an option on his contract and they decided not to use it.

If the Habs are really unhappy about some player and the cap room he is occupying they can always send him to the minors. If he isn't claimed we still have to pay his contract but he takes up no cap space. This costs the owner more money then buying him out would (if it were allowed) but it isn't a cap problem.

The SPECIAL buying-out option (one third of salary)) to accomodate the new cap was a one time feature for this unique occasion.

But the question remain: does the buying-out players (two third of salary) which has been

a standard feature in the pre-lock-out era still exist ?

I have been looking for the answer to this but I can't find it.

Was the team buy out option (that saw Brisebois bought out) a one time thing or can it be done in any offseason?

If it can......

I'm sure Bob has one or two players on his mind.

You are ALLOWED to buy out players at the now-historically standard rate of 2/3 of his present contract.

However, if you do so, the 2/3's that you paid out will remain against your cap till the end of the contract.

Example: Let's assume Player A has 3 years left at a 3m per season (a total of 9m). This summer GM B can buy out the contract for $6m (2/3 of 9m), but that'll mean having 2m per season against your cap for the next three years without any player to show for it.

Its moving along.....thanks GoHabs2002.

What about if instead of buying-out a player....you just shipped him down in Hamilton ?

I presume the team to be responsable in paying him the full amount until the

contract expired..........but is it going against the cap while hapenning ?

if the player passed through waivers, the salary would not count against the cap, bu tthose re-entry waiver is a killer, especially since if you later able to straight out trade the player to a new team, the player would still have to pass through re-entry waivers.

if the player passed through waivers, the salary would not count against the cap, bu tthose re-entry waiver is a killer, especially since if you later able to straight out trade the player to a new team, the player would still have to pass through re-entry waivers.

Which may no longer happen after this season. There's supposedly a deal in the making between the NHL, NHLPA and the AHL players union that would end the re-entry waiver clause of the CBA. The PHPA never liked the rule because it restricts the salaries for AHL veterans, it inhibits a players ability to get recalled to the NHL, and they were never consulted about the rule, nor did they get to vote on it, but it affects them as much as NHL players, if not more.

I guess you'd like to buy bonk's contract.

doing so, the rest of the contract will be counted as part of the salary cap.

I know he's not giving much for his salary but the siuation is not critical either.

sundstrom, streit, dagenais vandermeer won't be back so we save some cap room.

ryder won't get a big raise, huet could double his salary witch would bring him up to 1M

bulis should get 1.5M maybe

now, if with some miracle, we do get rid of theodore and his fat contract, I'm sure we'll be aggressive on the free agent market

as for brisebois, he wasn't bought out. the canadiens had an option on his contract and they decided not to use it.

I think rdyer well at least double his money(leading the team in goals)

I thought that the ability to buy-out players out was a thing of the past, but David Shoalts in today's G&M was speculating that JFJ would buyout Belfour remaining year at the end of the season. He was unsure of the cap penalty involved.