Time To Practice Shoot Outs

johnnyhasbeen

I think the time has come for BG to hold shootout practice and figure out who should take the shots. I love Ryder, but he is not one I would pick. Maybe Bulis or Pleks. He should figure this out, Huet did so well, and Kov and Zhog made the right moves but missed. Good effort again though. Too bad we didn't get 2 points.

or what about Markov even? I remember seeing Desjardins taking a penalty shot in a skills competition type event.....he had some moves, and we all know the russian's got some pretty solid hands...

This would be my list to choose from for shooters:

Non- Shooters:

Zednick-just not playing his best right now so he is a definite no

Sunny- only one comment needed.....NO

Higgins-good all round player, doesnt have spectacular skills in one area like dekeing so i would say no

Bulis- hes got wheels but still not the greatest finisher yet (even tho second on team in goals :lol: ), no

Bonk- not fast enough mentally to outsmart goalie....so.........ah..........................no

Begin- if he had a bit more skill i would say yes.....but no

Downey- NO

Shooters:(by priority)

1. Kovalev- he has the skill and expereince to know what to do, with poise, in this situation

2. Perezhogin- the defenition of speed, acceleration, shifty, and quick handed, all great shootout assets

3. Koivu- he definitely has enough skill, so if his mind is at ease he is a good candidate

4. Plekanec- he has shown his well thought out offensive presence enough to be a solid shootout shooter

5. Ribeiro- as long as he is not being pushed around, he can do wonders with the puck, give him a shot

6. Ryder- as a last shootout resort he is ok, but his SHOOT mentality makes him too one dimensional in shootouts

Bulis has showed scoring touch. He capitalize when he get's the chance. But I agree with umpalumpa with the others. But don't count Niklas Sundström out as he once was a goalscorer...

1. Kovalev

2. Plekanec

3. Perezhogin

4. Bonk

5. Markov

6. Koivu

7. Ribeiro

8. Bulis

9. Ryder

Kovalev is self-explanatory. Plekanec is possibly our best breakaway man. He's got skills, the second best (very close behind Kovalev's) shot on the team and is smart. We've seen him to do it against Carolina and Boston in pretty recent games. Perezhogin is fast and has good stickhandling skills. I'd prefer if he sped in and scared the goalie into thinking he was going to deke but then shoot high blocker side. In his first few games, he scored a couple of those on breakaways (Rangers game - 1st NHL goal). Most of you hate Bonk but face it, his our 3rd best stickhandler on our team after Kovy and Ribeiro. I'm not sure about his shot though because he's had trouble finishing this season. Markov is very good offensively. He's quick, has a decent shot and has skill. Sergei Zubov is doing well in the shootout for Dallas so maybe Markov can work too. Koivu is low down the list because he's a playmaker. He has decent skills and a decent shot and decent speed. He has a big heart and he's the kind of guy I can see winning us a shootout in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final in round 8 of the shootout. That's why it might be a good idea to use him as a late shooter. Ribeiro is very skilled but he's also a playmaker. I remember in the preseaosn when he tried very fancy moves that he couldn't really pull off. I'm scared he might try and be the hero every time and go for one of those which will probably result in a miss. Bulis has woken up and has started finishing. He's very fast and has decent stickhandling skills. I wouldn't put him as a top 3 guy but he could probably work. Ryder is a goal scorer and he scores goal scorers goals. The problem is that he can't deke and isn't all that skilled, not to mention that he's slow. His shot isn't enough when he's up against big goalies like Lehtonen. Not to mention that his choice of shot isn't always the best (going glove side when he had the entire right shoulder open PLUS Lehtonen injured his shoulder and even admitted that had Ryder shot there he wouldn't have saved it because he wasn't able to move his shoulder). I wouldn't feel safe with anyone else on the team shooting besides these 9 guys. Maybe Begin in a late round because he seems to have a flair for the key and timely goals or Souray if he can add some aim to his slap shot.

It's incomprehensible to me that Koivu has not been given shootout duties. OK, he's not really a goal scorer...but he's our leader, he's got moves up the wazoo and he's known for coming through at key moments. As another great leader said long ago, ya dance with the lady that brung ya. It's like the Nagano Olympics and Gretzky being left on the bench. We should stand or fall by our $4.7-million dollar man.

Zhogy may be shifty in practice, and I love the guy's skills, but I could tell by the look on his face that he didn't want the burden of doing the shootout in that Atlanta game. He's just a rookie and shows it in shootouts.

I'd also be curious to see Zednik get a crack.That game was the first in a long while in which he actually looked interested. Look for him to be a beast after the break.

I think the time has come for BG to hold shootout practice and figure out who should take the shots. I love Ryder, but he is not one I would pick. Maybe Bulis or Pleks. He should figure this out, Huet did so well, and Kov and Zhog made the right moves but missed. Good effort again though. Too bad we didn't get 2 points.

Hmm.... I wonder what Bob does during his practices. Gosh, with his thirty some years of experience in the NHL, I surely hope that he can see some of the weaknesses of his team... at least I hope so.

Sarcasm aside, it's appropriate to have our ideas as to who should participate in the shoot-outs but to go from there and say that Gainey isn't incorporating this kind of skill in his practices is inappropriate. Are you there to watch his practices? I doubt it.

I trust that Gainey and Carbonneau and the others are doing what they can to identify and attempt to strengthen what needs to be strengthened.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Maybe with the team playing as poorly as they have the practices have been spent trying to find lines that work, and get some sort of order to our attack. I would suspect that shoot out drills have yet to be a priority since the coaching change, although this is just conjecture on my part. I find it hard to believe they have spent much time on this, but I could be out to lunch. Just hard to believe Ryder would make the cut if they did, with his poor deeking abilities. Then again maybe he scores on shots every time in practice, shoots high stick side on Theo.

Maybe with the team playing as poorly as they have the practices have been spent trying to find lines that work, and get some sort of order to our attack. I would suspect that shoot out drills have yet to be a priority since the coaching change, although this is just conjecture on my part. I find it hard to believe they have spent much time on this, but I could be out to lunch. Just hard to believe Ryder would make the cut if they did, with his poor deeking abilities. Then again maybe he scores on shots every time in practice, shoots high stick side on Theo.

Nasty but funny.

I am positive that all NHL teams practice shootouts. If a team is not that is ridiculous for both the shooters and the goalies on the team.

Koivu should be given a chance to shoot for sure.

Zhog made an excellent move the puck was rolling a bit and he could not get it over Lehtonen's pad.

Tall players are excellent it shootouts if they can handle the puck because the goalie must respect their wingspan to bring the puck across their body that is what makes Dags a threat.

• 3 weeks later...

"You cannot call an illegal stick in a shootout. So a guy can basically come in with a bazooka and there's nothing you can do"

-Bob Hartley, 03/02/2006

I've got a plan, but it could cost a little bit of money.

First, Bob hires a Hollywood make-up artist. They send a player to him and have a mask made of that players face. But you'd have to choose carefully. Mark Streit ain't gonna cut it.

Second, with about a minute or less left in overtime, said player goes to the dressing room for an equipment adjustment. Once the overtime is finished and the shootout is ready to begin, said player returns to the bench for the shootout. However, said player isn't actually said player. It's actually Dags wearing the mask. He's been there since the third period, suited up and ready for the shootout.