Gainey's Potential Targets

gohabsgo252006

With the trade deadline coming up but no moves being made until at least Monday, i thought i would start a thread for some general discussion about possible deals for the habs. My intention is not for us to propose deals etc... but rather only to discuss the players that the "insiders" on the net say Gainey is interested in, and to discuss if we would want them or not. Obviously that discussion usually needs to include who we're giving in return but I think we can discuss generally as to whehter or not we like a player. I'll get this started and hopefully everyone else will join in too.

I've heard several names recently which inlcude; Sopel, Carney and Witt.

Of the three, the most attractive may be Witt, but I think I would prefer Carney. He is 35, but he provides excellent defence in his own end, some important leadership and does not usually take as many bad penalties as Witt. Sopel is the odd man out in this group, as he is more of an offensive defenceman. He would add another right handed shot on the PP. Although he has decent size he doesn't play very physically and according to tsn.ca he sometimes makes mistakes in his own end.

I'm not sure on Sopel's contract status but the other two are UFA at seasons end. Sopel is slated to make 2.4 M this year. Witt is at 1.6M and Carnet is at 2M.

Those are names I've heard to this point, I'd like other peoples opinions and if people have been hearing other names. HOpefully this thread will provide some fun and something to do until our beloved Habs begin play again, next Wednesday.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really any of those three would be welcomed to the habs for some reason or another. The do however all have their flaws.

I have all but given up on guessing who the habs might be interested in as Gainey seems to trade for unexpected players and not who we see commonly rumored to be heading to Montreal.

Unless Gainey is willing to part with a good prospect (which I wouldn't), I doubt he will acquire anyone that will have much of an impact on this team. With all the quality young prospects in this organization, the future finally looks bright for the Canadiens, and since Montreal is no where near being a contender at the moment, it would be stupid to trade away this potential for an aging overpriced rental veteran.

Personally, I would rather show some patience, and make sure that some of the top prospects progress to a point where they will be assets to this team in a year or 2. In the meantime, there will be 2-3 unrestricted free agents that I believe can help the team not only this year, but also on the longer run:

First, there is Daniel Briere, a Quebecer who would probably love to play for the Habs, and would fill the huge void we've had at second line center ever sinon Reggie Houle traded away (for practically nothing) Turgeon, Damphousse, Tucker, and even Conroy. I never liked Ribeiro, and I still believe he will never be a key element on a top contending team. He is too inconsistent, and has zero positive impact when the game intensifies, like in the playoffs. He's not a young prospect anmore, and will never get any better. Also, as much as I love what Chipchura can bring, he is not quite good enough for second line duties.

Then, there is another, Quebecer, Phil Boucher, who would providfe some much needed offense from the blue line in support of Markov. I never like Brisebois, and I was happy to see Markov take his place, however, nobody replaced Markov as the team's 3rd defenseman.

Finally, another guy who could help this team is Denis Gauthier, who is tough and quite reliable defensively.

Signing both Boucher and Gauthier would also mean getting rid of 2 of Souray, Dandeneault, or Bouillon... which I have no problem with. Bouillon could stay as a reserve player, which is what he actually is. Then gradually, Gainey should try to get rid of the dead wood (Bonk, Sundstrom, Zednik, ...) to replace them with the young guys, such as Kostsitsyn, Chipchura, Latendresse, etc ...

I agree that we should not give up any GOOD young prospects. I think there are some in the system which are tradable though and of course it all depends on the return.

In my opinion, if any moves are made at this deadline, they will be to get ride of the "dead wood". I believe that RIbeiro is as good as gone, we all know what he brings and that Gainey isn't a huge fan. He is a restricted free agent at years end and I doubt he will be resigned, so IMO he's gone by the deadline.

As for Sunny, i belive he is UFA at years end and if not dealt by the deadline will not be resigned.

Bonk, has some value to this team when playing like he has recently. There is rumor floating around that 2 teams are interested in dealing for him near the deadline. Don't know if i believe that but I could see it hapeneing.

Zednik, is to inconsistent and brings little else, other than the reputation of being able to score. I think with 1 year left on his deal at a low 1.8M and his reputation, I belive he is attractive to some teams and is probably going to be dealt by the deadline, however, i'm not as confident saying that about Zed as I am Ribeiro.

I think we have to look at teams that won't make te playoffs

the black hawks, coyotes seem to have the most appealing players.

a guy like lapointe if the price is not to high could play in my team or a healthy gauthier...

Really any of those three would be welcomed to the habs for some reason or another. The do however all have their flaws.

I have all but given up on guessing who the habs might be interested in as Gainey seems to trade for unexpected players and not who we see commonly rumored to be heading to Montreal.

I remember hearing rumors about Gainey wanting Kovalev a few days before the trade, but I will admit, that WAS unexpected.

Just don't see Montreal making any moves. No use making any minor deals, will it really help? Trading our problem for somebody else's.

With all the top teams looking for defesive help, the price for a decent blueliner will be steeper than usual, and not worth the price, especially for a rent a player. If Montreal is holding a spot 6 through 9 I say stay were you are, and play out the season. If were lower, trade out some of the parts for some picks or prospects, and if were higher (yeah right, but you never know), then maybe get a few decent players and make a run Lord Stanley.

I see us basically standing pat and doing nothing.

gelina's welcomed in my team at anytime..this guy really elevates his game when needed.

if the refs wouldve ruled is overtime goal against tampa in game 6 ( the one thas was disallowed and was really good) a fair goal. he would've gotten all 4 series winning goal.

talk about a clutch performer

Edited by marky_and_komi

I've been to HTR, Ek and Spectors today. Trying to get a read on who we will pursue.

Arnason

Gelinas

Todd White

Daigle

Selanne.

P.S. The need for a 20 minute blueliner couldn't have worse timing. With the Canucks in trouble and many other teams looking to get defensive depth...well, oh boy.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Gainey made only a sideways or tweak trade.

Is it worth our bluechips to bring in a rental we won't be able to retain?

If Gainey pulls a rabbit out of the hat in the next 11 days I'll be so :D

Jokinen, Viktor Kozlov, Salei, Lebda, Selanne, Gelinas, Carney, Mara, Arnason, Mitchell, Norstrom...

Any of these guys would be welcomed by me.

Selanne (Skill), Gelinas (Charactor), Witt (Grit)...

I'd be very happy to see them in the fold!

Go :hlogo: Go

I've been to HTR, Ek and Spectors today. Trying to get a read on who we will pursue.

Arnason

Gelinas

Todd White

Daigle

Selanne.

P.S. The need for a 20 minute blueliner couldn't have worse timing. With the Canucks in trouble and many other teams looking to get defensive depth...well, oh boy.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Gainey made only a sideways or tweak trade.

Is it worth our bluechips to bring in a rental we won't be able to retain?

If Gainey pulls a rabbit out of the hat in the next 11 days I'll be so :D

Daigle? :huh: Hmmm... I don't know if he'd feel good in Montreal. Do you think he'd be a good fit? :?-

Also just heard Kuba's name from the infamous CODE, he said that Gainey's made his pitch and it's up to the Wild.

I'd like to see him in a Habs uni

" CODE" ????

Not that infamous. Who is that....or did I miss something?

" CODE" ????

Not that infamous. Who is that....or did I miss something?

Glad I'm not the only one that didn't know what that was...

Here's what i would do. I'm not sure if it's what gainey is thinking but it would make the team younger and better.

Trade Souray and Sundstrom to Vancouver for Ruuto. (one there young D)

Zednick for Mara to replace Souray.

Trade Ribiero for what ever you can get.

Off Season Make a real run at Arnott.

Lines then become

Kostitsyn Koivu Ryder

Perez Plekanek Kovalev

Higgins Bulis Ruuto

Begin Bonk Downey

Komi Markov

Rivet Mara

Dandenault Bouillon / streit

Off season Look to sign Arnott and a #1 D man.

Here's what i would do. I'm not sure if it's what gainey is thinking but it would make the team younger and better.

Trade Souray and Sundstrom to Vancouver for Ruuto. (one there young D)

Zednick for Mara to replace Souray.

Trade Ribiero for what ever you can get.

Off Season Make a real run at Arnott.

Lines then become

Kostitsyn Koivu Ryder

Perez Plekanek Kovalev

Higgins Bulis Ruuto

Begin Bonk Downey

Komi Markov

Rivet Mara

Dandenault Bouillon / streit

Off season Look to sign Arnott and a #1 D man.

Not to tear this apart but Souray and Sunny is waaaaaaay too much to pay for an over penalized agitator like Jarkko Ruutu. Tuomo Ruutu of Chicago is a different story, but not the nucks version.

I'd take the Zednik for Mara deal anytime. Ribs for anything....maybe.

Arnott I have like for a long time but we could find a better player as a UFA. Arnott isn't getting younger either.

Arnott's just another #2 centre, if you guys dont believe in Koivu as #1, you sure as heck aint gonna like Arnott.

Glad to see everyone likes the idea of Gelinas, it would be a pretty sweet move for any playoff team really.