Game Thread | Canadiens Vs. Caps | 03/20/06

Spider-Man NL

KREX said in a post game interview that Koivu challenged the team, saying that they need to play ever shift and that if the habs want to make the playoffs they can have no passengers.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So who's going to stand up and challenge Koivu to score some goals. He looked brutal out there again. I think it was the first period and they were on the powerplay. He could have made a pass to a wide open player on the far side of the net for a good scoring chance and he tried some stupid move and gave the puck away.

THis guy needs a seat for a night or two.

The media should get off Ryder's back and onto Koivu's. Atleast he's scored since the Olympic break

Koivu also made some things happen out there. Are you seriously suggesting a healthy scratch of Koivu?

There are different ways to motivate humans, many are positive but when they are expended one must look to more drastic motivational measures.

How do you think the team would feel if BG benched their Captain?

I know we're all frustrated with Saku of late, but for sh*t's sake, show some loyalty, he does more than just what you see on the ice, and benching's can have a negative impact on the other players and the faith they have in their coaching staff.

I for one am trying to send out positive vibes for ALL of the underperforming Habs rather than single out a couple of guys. This is in fact a TEAM game.

Koivi is not the only one prone to looking for the pretty play rather than a workin' man's goal on this team, but they are coming around.

First of all, although I agree that Koivu is not playing his best hockey right now, he's not a goal scorer, but a playmaker. His job is to control the play in the offensive zone, and create opportunities for his linemates. I don't really care of he gets 10, 15, or 20 goals as long as he controls the play, and generate scoring opportunitites (which I agree he's not doing so well right now).

Now, Koivu has always given great hockey since he started his career in Montreal. He never really had the wingers to finish off his plays, but he always played his heart out, made everyone around him better (like Savage and Zednik), and somehow was always able to go toe-to-toe against the league's best centers, and came out on top more often than not.

This is the first time that I see Koivu struggling, and I think he deserves a bit more patience from the fans. He's a warrior, and I'm confident he'll turn things around sooner than later; maybe something is bothering him physically or mentally, who knows. Even the greatest Habs in history have gone through difficult times, and had some off seasons. The Rocket didn't score 50 goals every season; how would the fans have reacted today if after signing a huge contract following his 50/50 season, the Rocket had followed with a 27 goal, 48 point season in 50 games? He had another great season after that, but then followed with a 53-point and a 38-point (in 59 games) seasons... the media would have destroyed him at that point...

I'm telling you guys...Saku is coming out of it, he has looked much better the last two games and isn't fighting the puck as much look for a big effort tonight that will translate into more points on teh scoreboard for him, maybe not goals but points.

I wish i knew how to make a game thread....but I hope somebody does soon....we need to move on to tonights matchup

The thing is Richard was still winning the cup virtually every year. ;)

Yeah, but he had a great roster behgind him as well. The best player after Richard wasn't exactly a Petrov, a Savage, a Perreault, or a Zednik. You can't blame Koivu for not leading the team to a Cup; he never even had a chance, not even once. In the next 2-3 years however it will be different. With some of the prospects NHL-ready and a few good acquisitions by Gainey, this team will be in a position to at least be able to hope.

I dont know in what way the RDS comm... were whipping but I've heard it on CJAD as well from Murray! And I myself have bad mouthed him ... cause he gets on my nerves... he precisely has 25 goals ... and this is his second season and he aint progressing fast enough in my opinion! its not about what you do but what you should be doing! But he;; its a new NHL this year and he's still a freshman Hope we have enough Patience for him! Cause he should be a 30 plus goal scorer! if he doesnt wake up come playoff time (Anti Jinx) Then I'll start whipping him

Anyone know why Ovechkin was benched?

Well if he gets on your nerves what about Koivu Kovalev Begin etc etc etc who have fewer goals then him

I can't help but laugh. When some fans were talking about Ryder being a worthy candidate for the Olympic Team, I could hardly believe it was serious.

I'll just repeat now what I said then: Ryder's a good little uni-dimensional 2nd line sniper. Dont expect more than that. That's basically all there is to his game. Nothing more, nothing less. If he doesnt score goals, he's virtually useless.

Yeah we need 10 more useless forwards that score 25 goals each

Well if he gets on your nerves what about Koivu Kovalev Begin etc etc etc who have fewer goals then him

Yeah we need 10 more useless forwards that score 25 goals each

Yeah you put Ryder on a line with Crosby, Forsberg, Richards, Thornton and this guy scored 50. He's good, not great. He doesn't make the guys around him better. But with a superstar like one of the above, he'd be a great goal scorer.

THis guy has had more linemates then Planters has peanuts and this team has scored about 2.8 goals a game and he's been the biggest threat most nights.

Yeah you put Ryder on a line with Crosby, Forsberg, Richards, Thornton and this guy scored 50. He's good, not great. He doesn't make the guys around him better. But with a superstar like one of the above, he'd be a great goal scorer.

THis guy has had more linemates then Planters has peanuts and this team has scored about 2.8 goals a game and he's been the biggest threat most nights.

So if he gets better linemates Ryder will stop missing the open net??? I'm just asking for 1 out of 4 open nets thats all!

So if he gets better linemates Ryder will stop missing the open net??? I'm just asking for 1 out of 4 open nets thats all!

Thats not much different then half the other Habs. Atleast he's in front of the net, in scoring position.

@CoRvInA:

Ovechkin was benched for taking long shifts and not coming of when he was supposed to. That's what I heard on Prime Time Sports atleast (very good source). He played an amazing 28 minutes last night against Florida.

Speaking of this game, TSN showed a video of Koivu giving the team a pep-talk in the practice the morning of the game. We couldn't hear what he was saying though.