Ufa Targets

Is anyone willing to wager against Bob and Co. taking a "D" in the 1st round of the draft?

If they don't I'll be surprised.

There are not a lot of quality defensemen for the bottom 15 of the first round this year. There are some very good early picks, but by the time Montreal makes it selection, there will be much better forwards. If we are very lucky, or if we trade up a few selections, Ty Wishart might still be available. He's huge, solid defensively, and is very much improving his offensive game.

Otherwise, we'll have to go for a forward. One guy I would like to see drafted is Chris Stewart, which would give us another quality power-forward in the ranks, along with Latendresse. If we're complaining that nobody is willing to crash the net the now, this guy is a solution.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are not a lot of quality defensemen for the bottom 15 of the first round this year. There are some very good early picks, but by the time Montreal makes it selection, there will be much better forwards. If we are very lucky, or if we trade up a few selections, Ty Wishart might still be available. He's huge, solid defensively, and is very much improving his offensive game.

Otherwise, we'll have to go for a forward. One guy I would like to see drafted is Chris Stewart, which would give us another quality power-forward in the ranks, along with Latendresse. If we're complaining that nobody is willing to crash the net the now, this guy is a solution.

Chris Stewart would be great. He plays for the Fronts and his dad is a monster Canadiens fan. During the winter he wears a Habs jacket to every game. Chris however is a Leafs fan but I am sure he would love to play for the Habs.

Chris Stewart would be great. He plays for the Fronts and his dad is a monster Canadiens fan. During the winter he wears a Habs jacket to every game. Chris however is a Leafs fan but I am sure he would love to play for the Habs.

wouldnt everyone?

I'm sure Gainey like always will take the best player on their list when their turn comes. All things being equal I'm sure the Habbers would love to draft a defenseman with the cupboard being rather bare in that area. But if a highly rated forward slips to them, who they conider the best player available, then I'm sure they would draft the forward.

But Montreal definitly needs to stock up in the defense department.

Thanks KAOS for pointing out the confusion,...(center),..typo error on my part.

Even thought Zednick was brought back on the second line a while back....he hasn't collect a point in his

last 13 games......he actually wont even be dressing-up for tonight's game......I cant see him back next year.

Zednick and Bulis have been regulars this years......their departure will leave 2 spots to be filled next year......Murray will do its best to pick-up the slack this year...but will be re-inserting the 4th line next year.

I believe with you, stats in hands, that our offense is crucially in need of a boost IF our desire to compete with

the better teams next year is serious,...unlike you thought,...except for Kostitsyn, I dont believe the other

non-regulars players that you have mentionned to be significant in that project next season.

I agree with CEREBUSCLONE that the step to the NHL from the AHL will be easyer on Kostitsyn than its

previous one from Russia to the AHL and that he ought to become a regular next season.....but I dont see

why, as suggested by JMMR, he would need to fill the top lines big shoes rightaway.

It was precarious by Gainey I thought to assigned Zednick and Dagenais top lines dutys instead of

bringing in an extra UFA player for the start of this season........as a consequence

we had to rely on a miracle ( Huet ) to avoid the '' humiliation '' of not being good enought for play-off participation.

If we could rely on a stellar first line the like Ottawa has,.....inserting a green Kostitsyn type on the second line would seem more than appropriate........but in our own context its to much of a gambling,......not again.

Bringing in an appropriate UFA would secured our fire power on the top lines and having the kids on

the third line will give us scoring depth......is there negative consequences relating with taking such a course

that could outdo the benefits ?