Ufa Targets

Montreals' committed salary next year = 22.96 million.

Assuming the cap will be set at 41.5 million, we have 18.5 available to spend. It might turn out to be more if the cap hits 43 million but I decided to be conservative.

Now, the following players will cost 7 million to resign if all accept their 2006 salaries. I highly doubt that will happen. So, for arguments sake let's throw 3 million on that figure and round it up to 10 million. Now I'm being liberal.

Komisarek, Bouillon, Streit, Bulis, Perezhogin, Plekanec, Ribeiro, Ryder and Huet.

So, if we keep all of these guys it'll cost 10 million which is quite exaggerated.

22.96 million plus 10 = 32.96.

We still would have 8.54 wiggle room.

Jason Arnott $2,926,000.00 current

Danny Markov $2,356,000.00 current

That still leaves us with 3.25 million wiggle room.

Please everyone, keep in mind I was liberal. That is, I don't even see Komisarek, Bouillon, Streit, Bulis, Perezhogin, Plekanec, Ribeiro, Ryder and Huet costing 10 million, but if they did we could still afford D. Markov and Arnott, barely though because they will probably command raises this summer. But, these numbers are close to reality.

Your opinions?

P.S. Also keep in mind that D. Markov and Arnott's arrival could justify jettisoning Ribeiro, Bouillon or Streit (Nothing personal but they are at the lower end of the depth chart for their respective positions, or would be if we acquired these guys)

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i doubt Gainey will keep ribiero or bulis. No reason to, the younger players are better then them. I think Gainey will choose between either of Bouillon or Streit, probably not both. Obviously Sundstrom will be gone. I would expect to see a quality LD to play with Dandenault. Someone like Mara or something. I would also like to see BG go after Arnott or another top center, if that does not happen, Plekanek can take the second line duties. Then look to sign someone like Peca to center the third line. Signing Huet to a 2 year deal needs to happen, Aebi out and Danis backing up for a few years. Price is in the wings. I like Begin Bonk Downey as a fourth line, no reason to change it.

The reason I chose Danny Markov is because both him and Andrei were Russia's best D pairing in Torono. Andrei had the smarts and Danny just pancaked the opposition. :D

Why Arnott? It's as simple as he being a power forward at center and there's the Dallas conection too. Arnott would solve many issues up front.

Is Danny Markov a RD or LD. I like the pairing of Komi and Markov, will only improve in time. Rivet and Souray are ok, i'm probably the only person on this board who would want to trade Souray, he is slow and paired with Rivet they get beat alot. Then i would have Mara and Dandy as the third pairing.

WOW I would love to see these players with the Habs. I remember when just about every prospect with the habs turned out bad. its good to see Montreal has really improved on recruiting. Danny Markov is what the habs need. imagine how great that pair would be (with Andrei) with Huet in net.

Sorry guys, i know that pairing sounds great but the RD is the strong point of the D. Who are you going to sit? Rivet Komi or Dandy, say what you want about Dandy, he is plus 8, great speed and playing well. If the D gets upgraded it should be on the left side.

First, it's not because we have cap room that we will (nor should) spend it all. Gillett gives Gainsey a budget, and he'll have to stick to it. My best guess is that that budget is in the 37-39 millions range, perhaps a little more if we make it to the playoffs this season.

I agree with you that we need 2 things: another center for the top 2 lines to support Koivu, and at least a top 4 (preferably top 2) defenseman that can some offense to support Markov. I mentionned in some posts in the past that I was hoping for Daniel Briere and Philippe Boucher. Unfortunately, Boucher has resigned with Dallas, and my feeling is that Briere will stay with the Sabres.

I would love to see Arnott come to Montreal. If it weren't for Gainey and Carbonneau, I would say there was almost zero chance that he would choose the Habs, but if they they were all in very good terms in Dallas, there could be a chance. However, he'll cost more than 2.9 millions...

As for the defenseman, I don't know. Boucher would have been perfect, but he's signed. We can forget about the top guys like Jovanovski, McCabe, Lidstrom, Chara, Redden, ... that just won't happen. The only other options that have some offensive upsides are Danny Markov and Havelid, but I would stay away from them. That would leave the reliable, stay-at-home veterans lile Keith Carney or Ruslan Salei. Signing either of them to a 2-year contract could be a good idea, and it would buy us some time until some our prospects are ready, like Emelin and O'Byrne.

After that, we bring up some young guys, and try to get rid of some players on whom we are just wasting money, like Sundstrom, Bulis, Bonk, and Dandeneault.

Kostsitsyn-Koivu-Ryder

Perezhogin-Arnott-Kovalev

Higgins-Plekanec-Latendresse

Lapierre-Chipchura-Begin

Markov-Komisarek

Souray-Carney

Bouillon-Rivet

I know this won't happen, but that's what I would like to see. That's a lot of kids in the lineup, but if we want to be contenders in 2-3 years, they need to get NHL experience now. The defense however would be quite experienced, and reliable.

Sorry guys, i know that pairing sounds great but the RD is the strong point of the D. Who are you going to sit? Rivet Komi or Dandy, say what you want about Dandy, he is plus 8, great speed and playing well. If the D gets upgraded it should be on the left side.

....and there you have me :P

...but habchris, if not D. Markov, then who?

Or should we just go with what we have?

Some like Mara as i stated before, he is young, good size and speed. a Poti like player, good skater, moves the puck well will help on the PP. Some one like that. I like D markov, i just think that Dandy can't be traded due to his salary. BG won't take Riviet or Komi out of the lineup. As someone stated earlier, the habs won't land the top tier D, too expensive, i don't see the habs maxing out the cap to overpay certain players.

Gillette did give Gainey a budget. It was around $43M two years ago, I believe. And with the upcoming increase to the cap potentially up to as much as $46or 47M... We can afford stuff if we want it.

Arnott I'm sure is going to be heavily targeted. In fact I'm sure it's already been mentioned. I wouldn't at all be surprised if it's already done in everything but the official offer and paperwork.

As for the estimate of a $3M increase for those players including Huet and Komi, etc? I don't think yer being liberal. Huet is making $450K or something like that now. I could see him, by himself, getting a $2M raise. Add in all the little raises with the other players and you could be looking at closer to $5M.

Anyhow, that's quibbling. We have money to spend, that's about the size of it. Hopefully Gainey and Carbo are doing their job behind the scenes to continue to improve the lustre of Montreal.

Some like Mara as i stated before, he is young, good size and speed. a Poti like player, good skater, moves the puck well will help on the PP. Some one like that. I like D markov, i just think that Dandy can't be traded due to his salary. BG won't take Riviet or Komi out of the lineup. As someone stated earlier, the habs won't land the top tier D, too expensive, i don't see the habs maxing out the cap to overpay certain players.

Don't forget I was being very liberal. Even if we pay these guys the following:

Huet - $2

Komisarek - $1.5

Perezhogin - $1

Plekanec - $1

Ryder - $2

That's 7.5 million. I said 10 million (liberal) - It won't cost 10. :D

Chances are 2 out of these 4 will be gone.

That means 2.5 (very liberal again) to sign Bouillon, Streit, Bulis & Ribeiro.

Still even if it was 10, $22.96 million plus 10 still = $32.96.

If we only signed Arnott or we acquired any player for let's say...$5 million (liberal again), we would be paying 37.96 million which is even under this years' cap.

It is possible.

I don't know about anyone else, but I really am enjoying Montreal's defense right now. I think Markov and Komisarek are great Souray and Rivet are also doing well and Dadny with any of Streit, Bouillon or Simpson. Let us remember the Habs do have 3 defenseman with 30+ points at season's end most likely will have 5 with 20+ points. That is good spread out scoring and Markov will hopefully improve his offensive numbers next season.

As for the forwards I really do not see Arnott coming to Montreal, I would love to have him here but I have seen articles on him about how he has finally found a home in Dallas where there is not a ton of pressure. If that is the atmosphere he is looking for I do not believe Montreal is a good place. Also why would he leave a Dallas team that is arguably the number one contender for the cup in the West?

CerebusClone, I like how that looks :) do you think the Souray-Carney match would be slow though

Perhaps. It depends how well Carney is aging. But that was just an example, we could do different lines, or just acquire a faster defenseman. I just really love Carney for what he's done when the Ducks went to the finals. People only mentionned Giguere, but Carney was absolutely fantastic during those series.

As for Mara, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he a restricted free agent? I'd like sign him, but there is no way I would give up the 2-3 compensatory first rounders to get him in a Habs uniform. There's always the possibility of a trade, but that rarely happens with a good RFAs.

Gillette did give Gainey a budget. It was around $43M two years ago, I believe. And with the upcoming increase to the cap potentially up to as much as $46or 47M... We can afford stuff if we want it.

I don't think Montreal actually spent 43 millions (USD) 2 years ago. I think that was the total of all players on the roster at the end of the season, including for example Kovalev that we only paid for a few weeks. I don't remember the actual amount paid by Montreal on salaries, but I think it was somewhere between 34-36 millions (not 100% sure on that).

Edited by CerebusClone

SO how many UFA would we be content with? Assume that Gainey for whatever reason (players picked off, or no resign) Gainey has 15 Million that could end up for UFA players.. What would be figuratively speaking a good move?

Chara for 6 Mil?

Selanne for 4.5M?

Shanahan for 7M?

How much should Gainey invest in these UFA? Should we be more reserved and only go for one at whatever price or whomever (2 or 3) we can get that will be willing to sign for Kovalev and Koivu's price or less? 4.5 mil

This will be the main point for which we will be agreeing or disagreeing come next season!

Montreals' committed salary next year = 22.96 million.

Assuming the cap will be set at 41.5 million, we have 18.5 available to spend. It might turn out to be more if the cap hits 43 million but I decided to be conservative.

Now, the following players will cost 7 million to resign if all accept their 2006 salaries. I highly doubt that will happen. So, for arguments sake let's throw 3 million on that figure and round it up to 10 million. Now I'm being liberal.

Komisarek, Bouillon, Streit, Bulis, Perezhogin, Plekanec, Ribeiro, Ryder and Huet.

So, if we keep all of these guys it'll cost 10 million which is quite exaggerated.

22.96 million plus 10 = 32.96.

We still would have 8.54 wiggle room.

Jason Arnott $2,926,000.00 current

Danny Markov $2,356,000.00 current

That still leaves us with 3.25 million wiggle room.

Please everyone, keep in mind I was liberal. That is, I don't even see Komisarek, Bouillon, Streit, Bulis, Perezhogin, Plekanec, Ribeiro, Ryder and Huet costing 10 million, but if they did we could still afford D. Markov and Arnott, barely though because they will probably command raises this summer. But, these numbers are close to reality.

Your opinions?

P.S. Also keep in mind that D. Markov and Arnott's arrival could justify jettisoning Ribeiro, Bouillon or Streit (Nothing personal but they are at the lower end of the depth chart for their respective positions, or would be if we acquired these guys)

You better consider some wiggle room under the cap. Probably atleast $3 Million. Maybe more

Must add to this post that it comes to.... if we do have any raw talent within our ranks that can fullfill the roles that we could be hoping to patch with UFA or we dont and can't risk to find out and we should get them at any cost!

Arnott I'm sure is going to be heavily targeted. In fact I'm sure it's already been mentioned. I wouldn't at all be surprised if it's already done in everything but the official offer and paperwork.

As for the estimate of a $3M increase for those players including Huet and Komi, etc? I don't think yer being liberal. Huet is making $450K or something like that now. I could see him, by himself, getting a $2M raise. Add in all the little raises with the other players and you could be looking at closer to $5M.

Anyhow, that's quibbling. We have money to spend, that's about the size of it. Hopefully Gainey and Carbo are doing their job behind the scenes to continue to improve the lustre of Montreal.

THe cap will not be $46 to $47 Million. Not if Saskin is still in charge of the PA at the time the cap decision is made. Saskin is pushing for the cap to be around $43 Million, to keep possible escrow payments low. There is currently a fight in the players union about this. Stay tuned. The cap will be interesting this summer

Chara for 6 Mil?

Selanne for 4.5M?

Shanahan for 7M?

How much should Gainey invest in these UFA? Should we be more reserved and only go for one at whatever price or whomever (2 or 3) we can get that will be willing to sign for Kovalev and Koivu's price or less? 4.5 mil

Montreal does not have that kind of money to throw around...or more accuratley, will not throw that kind of money around

But if they were to go out and get something, I would hope its 1) A top flight centerman (which probably isn't available anyways) 1a) a top 2 defencman

Edited by kaos

you guys are aware that their will not be that many Top Quality UFA this summer and that second round choices although not that bad will probably be fought for at ridiculous prices... should we go after the tops or go for more realistic 3 round UFA...