We Need Sixth!

JLP

The reason why we need to shoot for a sixth place finish is because Ottawa and Carolina are so fuggin' good.

Thank you.

yeah... wouldnt mind 6th, but it's not like the Senators and the Canes are surging recently...

agreed.

The Rangers/Flyers are still the better bet for teams that'll fold in the 1st round. To knock off Ottawa or Carolina would be in the order of a major upset.

Now, to be blasphemous, despite the fact that my first desire would be for Montreal to win the Cup, I don't expect that they will.

I hope that the Senators will finally attain that which they came so close to getting in the last few years.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

agreed.

The Rangers/Flyers are still the better bet for teams that'll fold in the 1st round. To knock off Ottawa or Carolina would be in the order of a major upset.

Now, to be blasphemous, despite the fact that my first desire would be for Montreal to win the Cup, I don't expect that they will.

I hope that the Senators will finally attain that which they came so close to getting in the last few years.

What? Getting past TO? :P

The Habs need to win as many games as they possibly can. Period.

Who cares who they play. Eventually they have to beat everybody if they want to advance. Might as well play the best first, and find out how good you really are

The Habs need to win as many games as they possibly can. Period.

Who cares who they play. Eventually they have to beat everybody if they want to advance. Might as well play the best first, and find out how good you really are

I agree, just like Koivu said in the Olympics, "We want to beat everyone!"

I agree with pretty much everything said here.

My pick would certainly be the Fyers in the first round. Though it might be a punishing series, I believe or speed and skill would take them out rather easily.

I wouldn't want to face the Rangers so much, as their probably especially hungry for the playoffs right now. And of yeah Kasperitis.

I'll wouldn't mind Ottawa or the 'Canes after they've gone through a tough first round.

Well if it all started today and I got to choose, I'd go after Buffalo. They are seriously struggling, a little beat up, and probably don't have much confidence after the Toronto thrashing.

Then maybe I'd pick Ottawa, while they are dangerous, it lookslike Hasek is out, and they are a little beat up as well.

But I'd take Buffalo first

Well if it all started today and I got to choose, I'd go after Buffalo. They are seriously struggling, a little beat up, and probably don't have much confidence after the Toronto thrashing.

Then maybe I'd pick Ottawa, while they are dangerous, it lookslike Hasek is out, and they are a little beat up as well.

But I'd take Buffalo first

It is impossible for the habs and sabres to meet in the first round.

Scores against Carolina this year: 5-3, 7-3, 8-2, and 5-1. They've completely killed us every single time. I'd prefer not to play them, even if they're slumping right now.

Mind you, Huet didn't play in any of those games. And some of those scores flatter the 'Canes because of some, ahem, poor goalkeeping from a certain departed goaltender. Still - the 'Canes have owned our guys for a few years now.

Habs would beat either the Rangers or Flyers. The Flyers D is too slow to deal with MTL's forwards, that series would look like 2002 and 2004 against Boston. The Rangers can be beaten fairly easily by keeping Jagr's line in check: the Habs have done an excellent job bottling him up so far this year and there's no reason to believe that wouldn't continue.

It is impossible for the habs and sabres to meet in the first round.

Thats why I said if I had to choose....HELLO.......try reading the entire post and understanding what is being said before adding your witty litty retort

Guys do me a favor I cringe when I read sarcastic confrontational posts knowing they do nothing but escalate and ultimately divide the board. If you are going to disagree don't snipe it is against the spirit of community -- for chrissakes just toss in a smiley or something to show camaraderie and good faith, ok? Pretty please?

Here Here! 6th place it must be. Not sure, who I'd want to play though between the Rangers and Flyers.

I think the difference would be mainly in goalkeeping where we would easily trounce the Flyers but have stiff competition with the Rangers.

I'm going to renege on my stated earlier preference and take the Flyers.

My preference would be

1st round - Rangers

2nd - Senators

3rd - Lightning (vengeance timeeee!)

Final - Red Wings

Altough it have only a very small chance of happening.. the standings would need to be like this at the end of the season

1 - Ottawa

2 - Rangers 110pts - Rangers go on a roll : 6-0-0 in their last 6

3 - Carolina 109pts - Carolina slump and go 1-4-1 in their last 6

4 - Buffalo/Philly

5 - Buffalo/Philly

6 - Tampa

7 - Habs

8 - Jersey

Rangers are 8 points behind Carolina with 6 games left to play for both teams as we speak.. mathematically doable, but almost impossible to happen.

First round

1) Ottawa eliminate 8) Jersey

7) Habs eliminate 2) Rangers

6) Tampa eliminate 3) Carolina

Buffalo/Philly - doesn't matter

2nd round

1 - Ottawa

2 - Buffalo/Philly

3 - Tampa

4 - Habs

4) Habs eliminate 1) Ottawa

3) Tampa eliminate 2) Buffalo/Philly

3rd round

2) Habs eliminate 1) Tampa

By the way, we don't really NEED sixth. It would make our first round easier but that's all. On the other hand, if we do draw a tougher team and we beat them (Carolina) then it bodes better for subsequent rounds.

Has anyone else noticed that we may be able to catch Philly to face buffalo? 6 games left, 4 points back. The have one game in hand. Why not eh?

Yeah I noticed that as well......I believe Philly also still has to play NJ twice more as well.............fifth place, although improbable at this stage, is still attainable for both the Habs & Devils.

philly has won it's game yesterday wich means they're 6 pts in advances from us. not impossible but highly unprobable.

I'll still be happy with a playoff spot regardless of the ranking. from there anything can and will happen.