Playoff Scenarios - The Quest For A Point

jackp

We need 1 lousy point to ensure the playoffs... and it's not going to be easy. As I'm sure all of you know, we have Buffalo and then NJ. It'll be hard to get that point.

I expect that we'll need to get that point to qualify. Here's why:

Atlanta has games against Boston, Washington, and Florida. They're probably going to win all of those games. If we should fail to get our single point, Atlanta ends tied with us, and they get the tiebreaker.

Tampa, *on the surface,* has 2 tough games against Carolina. But Carolina is in coast mode (as shown in their earlier 5-2 loss to Atlanta). Some may say that they're fighting for 1st overall, but I don't think so. Finishing 1st might mean facing Atlanta and I don't think anyone wants that matchup right now. It's not like they lose home ice advantage if they don't get first (unless they face Ottawa). I just think they're in coast mode like the Indy Colts went into in the NFL this year. Their other game is against Washington. They probably win this game. (And Tampa can afford to lose 1 of their games and still end up tied with us if we don't get our point. Guess who gets the tiebreaker.)

So we need to get that one point on our own... against 2 teams who are playing really well right now. Colour me scared...

- Jack

Well, that sums up my uneasiness right there! Well stated, jackp...

I don't think CAR will coast tonight, given that TB is a potential first round matchup... Still.. I WANT THAT POINT SO I CAN SLEEP AT NIGHT!

Well, that sums up my uneasiness right there! Well stated, jackp...

I don't think CAR will coast tonight, given that TB is a potential first round matchup... Still.. I WANT THAT POINT SO I CAN SLEEP AT NIGHT!

Carolina definitley will not coast, and I don't care who you are, its not easy to win three straight games in the National Hockey League (Atlanta). Right now Florida is no pushover. I could easily see them beating Atlanta. Besides Lehtonen is injured. Nothing is going to be easy for them with Mike Dunham in goal.

A simple loss eliminates them

I am usually a "Jinx aware" dude But I will go out on the limb for those not sleeping well at night! I can assure you we will get that point! There are 5 games to assure us of that! 10 points at play!! that the odds can be up to 90% in favour for us!

2 games under our own power and the 3 games left by Atlanta!

Either way...we get that Point ourselves ...which is the only thing I'm concerned about! or Atlanta loses one point in there three games!

I say Its in the bag! The question is Where do we end up in 8th or stay at 7th? and is it better to play Ottawa with Hasek back or play Carolina with our Poor record against them!?

THAT is the question! The playoff achievement is imminent! No one would bet against that!

I know I'm being overly optimistic, but with 2 more Habs wins and the Flyers beating NJ on Sunday, don't we get 6th place ahead of NJ?

I dont think so... they have beaten us 3 times already! What I mean is we tie them in points and wins! but the tie breaker favors the wins between the tied clubs! and the devs have had our number 3 times already!

Edited by CoRvInA

Of course, if Tampa lose tomorrow night, the Habs don't even need to worry about a point. Though it would be much nicer if the Habs would just settle this themselves... ;)

the best we can finnish right now is 7th..wich we'll do

GO HABS

Habs can still finish 6th but cannot pass the Devils.

If they Flyers lose out and the Canadiens win thier final two games Montreal would pass the Flyers on the wins and season series tie breaker.

If they Flyers lose out and the Canadiens win thier final two games Montreal would pass the Flyers on the wins and season series tie breaker.

To bad they have to play the Isanders still. Thats an almost guarenteed two points. As well, Forsberg will be back tonight. That'll give them a big lift.

As JMMR says we can still finish 6th. I posted this yesterday in another thread but since it has arisen here I'll repost:

Well I still think we have a small chance of catching the Flyers. It is true that their magic number versus us is 1.

But: If we win both of ours and they lose all 3 of theirs in regulation we finish 6th. How likely is this to happen?

The Flyers have 3 games left: Rangers, Devils, and the Islanders. The latter 2 are road games. Rght now they have a chance to catch the Rangers so that first game is important to both teams. If the Flyers lose in regulation to the Rangers, then the in their next game in NJ, the Devils have a chance to clinch 5th by beating them in regulation. I'd expect that to happen.

Meanwhile we have to beat Buffalo at home, I think we will (which would clinch a playoff spot for us and does nothing for Buffalo who will finish 4th for sure).

If the above does transpire then on the last day of the season, we play the Devils at home and they are already assured of 5th. We could beat them. The final brick in this wall is that same day the Flyers play the Islanders in NY. I'd expect the Flyers to win and clinch 6th but they could lose.

Summary: We have a slight chance to catch the Flyers.

We can also clinch a playoff spot with a Tampa Bay loss in regulation tonight. Tampa has 90 points in 80 games. If they lose against Carolina tonight, they cannot get more than 82 points, and habs are already at 93. So there's 3 ways that we can clinch tonight:

-A win vs. Buffalo (Abby in nets tonight by the way)

-A Thrashers loss vs. Boston

-A Lightning loss vs. Carolina (in regulation)

We need to get that point against Buffalo...New Jersey is just scary good lately.

In the good news department, Buffalo now has nothing to gain by winning tonight. They cannot change their playoff position. So we should be a little bit more intense than they are.

I was glad to see Carolina get that win last night. They were very lucky. I watched the game and they were thoroughly outplayed by Tampa. To top it all off, Tampa hit two goalposts during the shootout.

- Jack

The Habs have even less of a chance of finishing 6th than Atlanta and the Laughs have of getting us out of a Playoff spot! So in my opinion its not gonna happen... Like I said us finishing 7th or 8th is what matters... I still say were better off playing vs Carolina!