Amazed By The Level Of Venomous Comments After Game 3?

beliveau1

Wow -I'm just amazed by the volume of vitriolic comments posted here after last nights game?

Some of the comments bordered on the assinine and were almost slanderous at times......

I find it odd that some of the same fans who were so supportive of the Habs after game 2 seem to have turned hostile on both the league, and on some of the same players whom they had been so busy praising just a few hours earlier. Souray for one - and he played that game after almost losing the little old prunes? I'd love to see the critics manage that feat - even in the old timers league?

Yes the refereeing was below the level of acceptable at times in game 3, but my goodness it wasn't that bad.

But to suggest that the refs should die a slow painful death because they had it in for the Habs - get over it!!!!! And it certainly did not cost the Habs this game - with a 1-0 lead, the simple fact is the Habs failed to cash in on several opportunities. As such those missed opportunities almost always come back to haunt you - as a coach I've seen it happen far too often! The Habs didn't put it away when they had a chance to and they paid dearly for that in game 3.

In the end good coaches realize that there are going to be missed opposition penalties, as well as poor calls against you that can hurt you in any given game. I'm sure there are lots of coaches and players out there that have come out on the short end of the stick on at least one occasion. Carolina probably has a few legitimate greivances in this series as well? It's a part of the game that you have to work with - the human fallability factor. And you can't let it consume you or your team. Waving the white towel strategy may have worked for Roger Neilson once, but it was the exception to the rule. More often than not that loss of composure results in a loss of focus that makes things worse. Yes, the Habs lost game 3, but they still have a 2-1 lead in this series. Carolina has to win 3 games - the Habs on the other hand have to win just 2 more.

And the fact is the Habs were the better team last night for the vast majority of that game - 5 on 5 the Habs were far superior. To get wrapped up in the emotion of missed calls, no matter how bad they may have been will not help them one bit. Good teams build off these scenarios in a positive manner. Good coaches know how to micro manage players in this situation. Fans on the other hand get caught up in emotional rants that sometimes sink to new levels of obscenity and stupidity as reason gets tossed out the window.....

For those who lose their calm, or even on occasion their sanity, they should stop and think before they spew.

The NHL hires top notch officials who work at the highest level this sport offers. They call a high speed game played at the highest level, and have to make instant decisions - either way someone won't agree with it pretty much every time they blow that whistle. Calls are missed, mistakes are made and the best approach is to just suck it up no matter what and get on with the job at hand. In the long run it all has an odd way of evening itself out. It's all spilled milk and best left for the dogs to lap up.

And if you watch how Gainey operates - I'd bet a buck or two that the NHL heard an earful about this behind closed doors(and that's the most effective way to go about it.)

okay - personal rant done....... :hlogo:

Edited by beliveau1

Gainey did handle it well. He said openly that he didn't blame the officials, smart move.

We lost game 3 because Ward was incredible, he made some saves that were sure goals. Huet also made some spectacular saves. The series is far from over! We win game 4 and we are looking pretty good.

Thank you Beliveau1 for this sane and calm statement.

Losing is upsetting, especially the way it happened in game 3 but we need to keep some perspective. How many people predicted we would beat Carolina in 4 straight? Koivu's injury is especially distressing but we can all hope for the best: a full recovery.

Gainey did handle it well. He said openly that he didn't blame the officials, smart move.

We lost game 3 because Ward was incredible, he made some saves that were sure goals. Huet also made some spectacular saves. The series is far from over! We win game 4 and we are looking pretty good.

Agreed - Ward didn't let the Habs put it out of reach. But I also think the Habs then sat back about 5 minutes or so into the third and that was it. Also the Habs didn't execute there offensive finish as well in this game. They made Ward look even better than he was at times.

Then they got themselves into penalty trouble and it was over.....

Thank you Beliveau1 for this sane and calm statement.

Losing is upsetting, especially the way it happened in game 3 but we need to keep some perspective. How many people predicted we would beat Carolina in 4 straight? Koivu's injury is especially distressing but we can all hope for the best: a full recovery.

No problem - Yes it sucks to lose games like that one..... but it's time to take a valium for some people?

Habsolutely! I still think tho that the refs really helped Carolina last game. I am still bitter but hey its 2-1 in the series so we are not in a bad position

Habsolutely! I still think tho that the refs really helped Carolina last game. I am still bitter but hey its 2-1 in the series so we are not in a bad position

Yes the refereeing was subpar, but it can also be pointed out that the Habs hurt themselves penalty wise - they put themselves in a position where one penalty would kill you, and they were also guilty of putting themselves in compromising positions that could lead to penalties, regardless of whether the calls were right!

Point the gun at your foot and play with the trigger long enough - it usually spells trouble......

Yeah, if there was a 4 minute man advantage for the habs, they might have made it 2-0.. If the reffing was better, we might have won.

Also, the habs sat back in the third. their mistake!

One thing Gainey will not do is tell the players that the refs screwed them. He will never give them an excuse. he will tell them shit happens, suck it up and score so a bad call doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

As soon as you give players an excuse, say it is out of their hands, etc.. .you have lost.

Agreed - Ward didn't let the Habs put it out of reach. But I also think the Habs then sat back about 5 minutes or so into the third and that was it. Also the Habs didn't execute there offensive finish as well in this game. They made Ward look even better than he was at times.

Then they got themselves into penalty trouble and it was over.....

No problem - Yes it sucks to lose games like that one..... but it's time to take a valium for some people?

I thought the fan's involvement in the game was just amazing and the Habs once again played some incredible hockey across the board....and phenomenal hockey when killing penaltys.

It was obvious in mid-third period that the team had abruply shifted its prioritys and decided to

'' sit back '' and protect the lead.......Is this strategy unavoidable in such situation ? Probably.......yet it didn't

seems very effective just by the look of it.

In a way it was my favorite game of the whole season and I can feel for the Bell's attendys that where

booooing the referees out of the rink at the end.......they had witnessed the scary injury inflicted to Saku, lost

their captain for the battle (and then some) and never even gotten back some justice in return.

How did the officials went on with their job as if nothing had happens is blatant incompetence. I have seen

similar situation before where the officials would invite the linesmen to tell them if they had seen which of the

player was involved in the hight sticking.........it's not unconventionnal to do so in the regular season and

abstention from doing it in a playoff game is stupid.........the booooing was well deserved.

But beyong the ingratitude and the lost...the team was well prepared and gave it all,..which is in the end the

only thing that matter.

Agreed, Beliveau1.

I continue to be amazed by the quality of some of the attitudes on this site. :wacko::wacko:

Many comments made by some of us are downright vicious. Name-calling, debasements, vulgar descriptives, etc. :puke: :puke:

It's either childish or indicative of a nasty perspective on life. I can't think of any other reason for it. :angry:

I've refrained from starting a topic like this becaue I was afraid that I would just complicate things myself by the way I would describe how I feel about all of this.

So, thank you B1 for your forthrightness and insight in this area.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Agreed, Beliveau1.

I continue to be amazed by the quality of some of the attitudes on this site. :wacko::wacko:

Many comments made by some of us are downright vicious. Name-calling, debasements, vulgar descriptives, etc. :puke: :puke:

It's either childish or indicative of a nasty perspective on life. I can't think of any other reason for it. :angry:

I've refrained from starting a topic like this becaue I was afraid that I would just complicate things myself by the way I would describe how I feel about all of this.

So, thank you B1 for your forthrightness and insight in this area.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

The support is much appreciated as I expected it would get a far more hostile response!

However I wasn't too worried about what the response was going to be to it when I typed it - I was just appalled by many of the postings that were here after game 3, and figured it was time to say something.

If people disagree then so so be it. It probably just proves the assessment is pretty accurate.....

Sadly some will never be convinced of the childish of their attitudes nor will they ever learn?

I used to get upset over this stuff9not to that extent though) but I learned to appreciate life and to take the lumps as they come when I had a heart transplant in 1999.....

And as a Habs fan it is so ironic and so fitting that my new heart came from a donor from Montreal? B)

It's just a game boys - it's a great game but just a game.....