The Koivu Effect

CerebusClone

So much for people who believe that Koivu has no effect on this team, and isn't that good a player. Chris Higgins had 2 goals, 1 assist, and was a +1 in the first 2 games... but had no point, and was a -3 for the last 2 games. Same numbers for Ryder, except he managed to get an assist since Koivu went down. In addition, his absence allowed the Hurricanes to put their best cover on Ribeiro and Kovalev, and both have been completely neutralized.

Koivu may not be an offensive monster, at least not with average wingers (which he's had pretty much his whole career), but he's such a great overall player. That's a guy that goes out every night against the other teams' top offensive and/or defensive lines, and most often than not he comes out on top. Koivu managed to overplay the Brind'Amour line in the series, but Brind'Amour has been all over the Canadiens since the injury.

We're not going to make it far without the captain...

While I think that markov may actually be THE most underrated player, you're both basically right - Koivu makes everyone on the team better. The Koivu-knockers are a joke (remember when the French press began to agitate about how he was somehow dragging Ribeiro down? Sheeeesh).

While I think that markov may actually be THE most underrated player, you're both basically right - Koivu makes everyone on the team better. The Koivu-knockers are a joke (remember when the French press began to agitate about how he was somehow dragging Ribeiro down? Sheeeesh).

It is true that most Koivu haters seem to be big Ribeiro fans. You say one non-positive thing about Ribeiro, and they always come back with a comment on Koivu.

Of course the French media would love for Ribeiro to become the number 1 center on the team, but the fact is that everytime Koivu has been out with an injury, Ribeiro never stepped up to the plate. We had another example in the last 2 games where we really needed Ribeiro to elevate his game, and instead he disappeared.

I always pulled for Ribeiro: a small, shifty, talented player capable of bringing you out of your seat. Except that this season, he's regressed - having shown repeatedly that you can't count on him to raise his game when necessary, and no longer able, it seems, to weave his way through teams in the 'new NHL.'

The team has two basic weaknesses: the lack of a reliable good second line centre, and another D-man of Markov's quality. If we can fill those holes, we'll be a serious team indeed.

Love Koivu always have always will!

Although the Habs are struggling without Koivu I wish they were not!

I know it proves the bashers wrong but please Ribs step up and score me a Hat Trick tonight!

Most likley he will not he is not strong enough to cash in on the rebounds and chances he gest 5 feet in front of the net! If he can not do it Bonk or Pleckanec may be counted on for a lot tonight!

I don't know why people think ribs has be to be better then Koivu, he isn't, but by the same token, he is not our first line center and shouldn't be better then Koivu. That does not make him a terrible center. It is possible to like and pull for both of them.

To be fair, Koivu would be struggling right now without Ribs or Kovalev in the lineup. It is always tough when you lose one of your top two centers, because the other team can key in on the one line.

I am dissappointed that Ribs didn't step up, but I feel the same way about several of the players including Higgens, Bonk, Kovalev, etc. I am counting on Gainey having a little chat with a number of them behind closed doors.

Ribiero's been floating through this series. It's not a pleasant sight. We witnessed how tough it would be for Montreal if as the French media wanted, Ribiero was anointed numero uno centre.

It has nothing to do with the media or anything else, and he has not been floating through the series. He was playing very well in the first 2.5 games. So he (like most of the team) had a bad game... lets hope that line bounces back...

I think this series against Carolina has proven that Montreal is extremely weak in the offensive forward area and will need to spend significant resoures in the financial and player (draft pick area) to improve this over the offseason. They need to bring in some talent, becuase what is here now just doesn't cut it.

Keep Higgins, Plekanec and Kostitsyn. Koivu as well I guess cause his albatross of a contract plus doubts medically about his future will prevent his movement.

Everyone else is trade bait. Cut loose Bulis, Sundstrom, and Ribeiro. They offer nothing and have dissapeared in the playoffs.

If there are no free agents that can help, then Gainey needs to be creative to bring in a top flight forward, specifically a center. And someone better than Koivu. I have to believe that one of Lecavalier, Richards or St. Louis has to be available. If its St. Louis then steer clear, but if either of the other two can be had, then Montreal should make it happen. Tampa cannot afford to keep all of them, especially with the shitty playoffs they've had and the mess of Tortella and the goalie situation its clear Tampa will have to make room financially to bring in a better goaltender. Grahm is history and Burke never was the answer. Gainey needs to make something happen. This team has gone too long without a superstar offensively. Its getting pathetic.