Breaks My Heart To See How Bad The Habs Drafted In 98'.

I was looking through the lists of recent drafts to see who the Habs have drafted and coming across the 98 draft gives me a whole new kind of hate for the Houle era. :angry:

With our first selection we took Eric Chouinard....

...we could've taken Skoula, Kalinin, Regehr, Biron, GAGNE!!!, Fischer, Gomez, CHEECHOO!!!, or Fisher.

:puke:

With our second selection we take Good Ol' Mike Ribeiro....

...we could've taken BRAD RICHARDS!!!!!!!!!!, Ruutu, COLE!!!, Afanasenkov.

Aside from Beauchemin being a decent pick, Ryder who turned out to be good for us and Markov who is great, Id like to remind everybody that later on in the draft, Houle also passed up..... Gionta, Vasicek, Horcoff, Spacek, Raycroft, Kotalik, Arnason... :puke:

BUT........ what really, truly, honestly breaks my balls is that in all of Mr. Houles sense of hockey, He picked Mr. Gordie Dwyer ahead of PAVEL DATSYUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry::blink: :puke:

Also, I know that hindsight is 20/20... and some players develop differently to be better than what they were drafted.........

My little rant........ - The-Habby :hlogo:

Edited by The-Habby2919

I was looking through the lists of recent drafts to see who the Habs have drafted and coming across the 98 draft gives me a whole new kind of hate for the Houle era. :angry:

...we could've taken Skoula, Kalinin, Regehr, Biron, GAGNE!!!, Fischer, Gomez, CHEECHOO!!!, or Fisher.

Aside from Beauchemin being a decent pick, Ryder who turned out to be good for us and Markov who is great, Id like to remind everybody that later on in the draft, Houle also passed up..... Gionta, Vasicek, Horcoff, Spacek, Raycroft, Kotalik, Arnason... :puke:

BUT........ what really, truly, honestly breaks my balls is that in all of Mr. Houles sense of hockey, He picked Mr. Gordie Dwyer ahead of PAVEL DATSYUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry::blink: :puke:

Also, I know that hindsight is 20/20... and some players develop differently to be better than what they were drafted.........

Yeah well 29 other GM's also made alot of those same mistakes

you want bad drafting ?? try the coyotes..man, they suck.

as bad as you think that the 98 draft was bad...it was our best :(

I still think that our development system sucked.

I think our drafting/development system's way better and things will be better

can't wait for june 24

:ghg:

Legendary Islanders GM Bill Torrey once said it best, when he described the annual draft procedings as a "crap shoot" at best......

you want bad drafting ?? try the coyotes..man, they suck.

as bad as you think that the 98 draft was bad...it was our best :(

I still think that our development system sucked.

I think our drafting/development system's way better and things will be better

can't wait for june 24

:ghg:

I agree, I absolutely can't wait for the off-season to begin!

I agree, I absolutely can't wait for the off-season to begin!

hey! the draft's in vancouver...are you going??

cant wait to go in ottawa in 08 and maybe in montreal in 09

hey! the draft's in vancouver...are you going??

cant wait to go in ottawa in 08 and maybe in montreal in 09

Highly unlikely. If I lived on the mainland, I would seriously consider it, but I'd really rather not take the ferry across. Besides, knowing my luck, I'll probably end up working that day...

What was especially dreary about the Chouinard pick was that Houle vetoed his own scouts #1 choice of Gagne. I know this for a fact because I read an article on the rds.ca website the night before the draft, and one of the Habs scouts was quoted as saying there were leaning towards a skinny forward named Simon Gagne. There were rumours after the draft that Chouinard's father and coach pulled strings with Rejean Houle to get his son drafted by the Habs. The Habs scouts must have been pulling their hair out of their heads on that move, because both players played for the same team.

What was especially dreary about the Chouinard pick was that Houle vetoed his own scouts #1 choice of Gagne. I know this for a fact because I read an article on the rds.ca website the night before the draft, and one of the Habs scouts was quoted as saying there were leaning towards a skinny forward named Simon Gagne. There were rumours after the draft that Chouinard's father and coach pulled strings with Rejean Houle to get his son drafted by the Habs. The Habs scouts must have been pulling their hair out of their heads on that move, because both players played for the same team.

Well that was all in the past.

Now Gainey is in charge, and with Timmins and Savard running the scouting program, the future will look bright for the next few years.

If you check Houle's draft record you'll find that only Markov, Ryder and Riberio remain with the team out of all the players he drafted. I think he signed Frankie B as free agent in Cube's first go around with the team, but I'm not sure about that

Well i never liked hockey before the habs made it in the playoffs in 2001-2002 and i never knew from wat happened past years. But now wow why do you remind us with such shame lol.

Ugly ribiero :puke:

Yes much like the 1930's and early 1940's, the late 1990's were a very dark period for the Montreal Canadiens. But you know what happened in the next 15 years (1944-1960) or so? 8 Stanley Cups including 5 in a row.

Why am I stating this? I have no idea.

GO HABS

Sure we made some mistakes, especially the notirous Chouinard over Gagne one but there were much much worse drafts done by us in the 90s. I made a thread like this one about them a few months ago. It's too bad, looking back at all the guys we missed but when you think about it, all the otherteams also missed out on these guys. You just never know.

Sure we made some mistakes, especially the notirous Chouinard over Gagne one but there were much much worse drafts done by us in the 90s. I made a thread like this one about them a few months ago. It's too bad, looking back at all the guys we missed but when you think about it, all the otherteams also missed out on these guys. You just never know.

Exactly.

And now the Habs have a better scouting department. Things turned right around with Savard. He makes those 1st rounders count

BUT........ what really, truly, honestly breaks my balls is that in all of Mr. Houles sense of hockey, He picked Mr. Gordie Dwyer ahead of PAVEL DATSYUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:puke:

I'll say it again... Big Deal!

All teams have bad drafts. It's just the nature of the beast. There's a lot of stuff that goes on in the background - all sorts of internal negotiating which comes to a final decision by the general manager.

Take last year's draft. I understand that André Savard was pushing for Gilbert Brule but, Gainey (I suppose) made the final decision and had the team draft Carey Price.

It's all part of the process. Sometimes a draft pick works... sometimes it doesn't. Life goes on.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

One draft that I would have liked to have seen go a bit different was the 2004 draft where Montreal could have selected Wolski. I was actually suprised when they didn't. Chipchura may make a great captain and checkingline center. But I think Wolski is well on his way to being a 30+ goal guy. Tough to let that guy get away. Been great in Colorado in limited action this year. Looks dangerous in the playoffs

One draft that I would have liked to have seen go a bit different was the 2004 draft where Montreal could have selected Wolski. I was actually suprised when they didn't. Chipchura may make a great captain and checkingline center. But I think Wolski is well on his way to being a 30+ goal guy. Tough to let that guy get away. Been great in Colorado in limited action this year. Looks dangerous in the playoffs

I was hoping for wolski as well..but he had trouble with the cops days before the draft.so that might have frighten our scouts a little.

on the other hand, it's not every year that you can draft team canada's captain...the kid may not turn as good offensively as some others but he'll be one heckuva player. i'm sure he's playoff stuff

and we do have the right coaching for him