Which Free Agent Would You Sign?

Considering the salary, which would you pick?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Defenseman

• Wade Redden
    • Zdeno Chara
    • Bryan McCabe
    • Eric Desjardins
    • Kim Johnsson
    • Ruslan Salei (cheaper)
  2. 2. Top 2 line center

• Marc Savard
    • Jason Arnott
    • Matt Cullen
    • Mike Peca
    • Doug Weight
    • Jason Allison
    • Andrew Cassels
  3. 3. Scoring winger

• Teemu Selanne
    • Eric Daze (with bonuses)
    • Jochen Hecht
    • Peter Bondra
    • Brendan Shanahan
    • Valeri Bure (if proven healthy)
    • Patrick Elias

Thread topic: Which free agents would you sign?

Is Theo a free agent? No... So shut the hell up about Theo and let's get back on topic.

Telling people to people to shut the hell up is just not nice. :o It would reduce the boards post count.

Montreal has a good nucleus of young roster players that should be able to score at a better clip than they did this year. A year makes a big difference and with the extended playing time I saw some improvement in offensive chances.

I think on offense a guy like Chris Simon might fit on a third line. Not sure if he still has the wheels to keep up, however he is a tough guy around the net and can score. Montreal's offense requires a bulldog in front of the opposition net. Watching Koivu try to get in front of the net only to get well checked, tripped, hacked(High Sticked) is just not good for his health.

What if a Sergie Samsonov is available next year. Would his speed and offensive punch be a good addition to the top two lines? I know he could certainly keep up with the current roster. No way he is going to get max. dollar which should be attractive.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Telling people to people to shut the hell up is just not nice. :o It would reduce the boards post count.

What if a Sergie Samsonov is available next year. Would his speed and offensive punch be a good addition to the top two lines? I know he could certainly keep up with the current roster. No way he is going to get max. dollar which should be attractive.

remember hearing someone say on tv that the reason why gainey didn't go for laperriere was for is many injuries in the past.

so for samsonov...

besides, I don't think that BGs looking a samsonov-like player

I still think he's a great player but I just don't see him in montreal anytime soon

What do you no about professionalism...absolutely nothing obviously by thinking that what I said was unprofessional. Besides the professionalism was about not giving out details, not the comments about Theo, I can say what I want about Theo. You would know this if you were a member of a professional association, which you are obviously not.

As for what you think about me having dealings or not with Theo, I could not care less...I know what's true, that's all that counts. The second hand that told me was the left side of my brain.

I can bring any business I want here, this is a free web site where we can express our opinions. You don't like it, too bad for you, just don't reply then, or go find another web site to go cry to. I don't spend my time bitching other people unless they start, unlike you and your "professionalism".

As for free agents, I would recommend that BG signs all the ones you don't want to come here, that way I'm sure they will be of good quality since you know so much about hockey :wacko:

Well, so long sucker, I found a better web site for the habs, I'm fed up of arguying with an arrogant fool like you.

Be bye !!!

Thank god. Good Riddance. Go tell someone else your fantasy stories.

Chances are Bob Gainey will try and sign some depth scoring help at the forward position, as it seems highly unlikely he'll want to/be allowed to spend $6 Million + on a player when Kovalev and Koivu are already making $4.5 + Million a year.

So who are the candidates for maybe a $2.5 to $4 Million a year paycheque?

It also seems unlikely that Gainey can swing a trade with the likes of Ribeiro or Zednik. THey'd have to give up one of the young prospects and that just isn't worth it.

Maybe if he's still around come July 1, David Legwand might be an interesting possibility?

As well there is so much riding on Koivu right now.

Edited by kaos

I like the Legwand idea... supposed to be a bit of an underachiever but has the talent to do better. Maybe with a different mix around him and a young, growing, forward looking gang like the one that we have would be what was needed to light a fire under him.

Maybe... :mellow:

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I like the Legwand idea... supposed to be a bit of an underachiever but has the talent to do better. Maybe with a different mix around him and a young, growing, forward looking gang like the one that we have would be what was needed to light a fire under him.

Maybe... :mellow:

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I do too, but as a Group III free agant as he can be a good hard working Centre that could help Montreal's impressive youth movement. I read on a link I believe you posted for free agents and his name is not mentioned. Meaning he missed the Group III cut by one year with his age. I am trying to verify this as different sources show different status, grrrr so confusing.

No way I want to see Montreal trade the youth away just yet unless it is a superstar of some kind everyone wants.

I do too, but as a Group III free agant as he can be a good hard working Centre that could help Montreal's impressive youth movement. I read on a link I believe you posted for free agents and his name is not mentioned. Meaning he missed the Group III cut by one year with his age. I am trying to verify this as different sources show different status, grrrr so confusing.

No way I want to see Montreal trade the youth away just yet unless it is a superstar of some kind everyone wants.

Yeah it is confusing and frustrating. Almost just have to wait till one of TSN or some other source, posts who the available free agents will be. Probably sometime after the stanley cup finals

Geez. I come on to this board after taking a short break after Stillman let the deadly wrist shot go as he was crossing our blue line, to see a massive argument in this thread. That is not cool. Let's try to chill out people.

Anyways, I heard that J.P Dumont was a UFA this year. Can anyone correct me on this? If so, I would sign him, a decent defenseman and a number 1 line calibur player...assuming we could afford it.

But does anyone have proof that Dumont is a UFA or is what I have heard pretty much BS?

Geez. I come on to this board after taking a short break after Stillman let the deadly wrist shot go as he was crossing our blue line, to see a massive argument in this thread. That is not cool. Let's try to chill out people.

Anyways, I heard that J.P Dumont was a UFA this year. Can anyone correct me on this? If so, I would sign him, a decent defenseman and a number 1 line calibur player...assuming we could afford it.

But does anyone have proof that Dumont is a UFA or is what I have heard pretty much BS?

Well I think the person that needs chillin has left the building. :D

As for your query on JP Dumont, wait till after the playoffs, closer to July 1st and you'll get your answer from TSN, or one of the other media outlets.

I doubt very much the Habs can afford all of what you suggest, even if it was possible that they could sign those players without 29 other teams looking for pretty much the same thing.

All right how about some fresh ideas or rehashing old suggestions? Not too many people liked my Redden idea and I have to agree now that McCabe broke the bank. I seem to remember shortcat1 making some interesting suggestions on defence that was not too expensive.

I know summer time, people partying, people dating, people doing all kinds of summer stuff. But it is always HOCKEY TIME and I want to know what the Habs are up to! :hockey::hockey::hockey:

:hlogo:

All right how about some fresh ideas or rehashing old suggestions? Not too many people liked my Redden idea and I have to agree now that McCabe broke the bank. I seem to remember shortcat1 making some interesting suggestions on defence that was not too expensive.

I know summer time, people partying, people dating, people doing all kinds of summer stuff. But it is always HOCKEY TIME and I want to know what the Habs are up to! :hockey::hockey::hockey:

Good defensive solutions are, Mitchell, Kubina, McKee, Frantisek Kaberle, Spacek, Kuba, Dany Markov, Witt, and others. Some being more expensive then others.

I still prefer to upgrade the offense first. I would be interested in a D if we include Souray in trade to get that offensive help we need. We need a good top 2 center, after Koivu, we lack that top 2 line center. I prefer keeping Plecky as the 3rd line center.

I think we'd all love to know what Gainey is up to. I'm sure just after the final game of the finals the rumours will come fast and furious

Good defensive solutions are, Mitchell, Kubina, McKee, Frantisek Kaberle, Spacek, Kuba, Dany Markov, Witt, and others. Some being more expensive then others.

I'm not sure I'd want Spacek and Witt on my team but I'd be very happy with any of the others.

I'm not sure I'd want Spacek and Witt on my team but I'd be very happy with any of the others.

They're not my favourites either, but assuming we trade Souray, it's not a guaranytee that we will ba able to sign any of the others, and we could end up having to settle for one of them, and they're not that bad. Better defensively then Souray at least.

I highly doubt Montreal is going to trade Souray. With McCabe signing in Toronto for close to $6 Million, Souray is a relative bargin at $2.35 Million. Had he had to renew his contract thisyear, he could probably command over $4 million now thanks to McCabes insane contract, nevermind the no trade, no waive clause.

Souray at $2.35 Million has become sort of indespensible. He'll score between 12-15 goals and 35 to 40 points. He logs major minutes and plays all situations. If Montreal traded him, there really wouldn't be an effective way of replacing him, economically. Kuba, Mitchell, Kaberle, Kubina, Markov....all their values just went up because Toronto is so ######ing stupid. They'll all can easily ask for $4 + million each now, whereas last year that would have gotten you Adrian Aucoin, who I would easily take over any of those 5.

Just another reason to hate Toronto.

I highly doubt Montreal is going to trade Souray. With McCabe signing in Toronto for close to $6 Million, Souray is a relative bargin at $2.35 Million. Had he had to renew his contract thisyear, he could probably command over $4 million now thanks to McCabes insane contract, nevermind the no trade, no waive clause.

Souray at $2.35 Million has become sort of indespensible. He'll score between 12-15 goals and 35 to 40 points. He logs major minutes and plays all situations. If Montreal traded him, there really wouldn't be an effective way of replacing him, economically. Kuba, Mitchell, Kaberle, Kubina, Markov....all their values just went up because Toronto is so ######ing stupid. They'll all can easily ask for $4 + million each now, whereas last year that would have gotten you Adrian Aucoin, who I would easily take over any of those 5.

Just another reason to hate Toronto.

I agree, I don't want to trade Souray, it was meant it the sens "if" we trade Souray. To get a good forward via trade, we might have to include him in a trade. If we have to for a very good center, then I would trade him. He's easier to replace then finding a good center.

Ah but the questiion is of Kuba, Mitchell, Kaberle, Kubina which one would Fit the Habs best and which one would settle for $3-4 million?

I like Mitchell but didn't he balk at a $3-4million offer and was traded to Dallas?

I do like Kaberle as he is very creative with the puck and moves it out of the defensive zone quickly. (From the few games I saw of him)

With all these salaries going up quickly (Thanks Tampa and Toronto for messing things up) I would think Montreal would stand pat now. I do not for one want to see Montreal get trapped in a high priced player contract and end up with a dud. Who was that guy that Gainey while managing Dallas traded to Montreal who had a big salary only to turn out to be a dud?

I agree, I don't want to trade Souray, it was meant it the sens "if" we trade Souray. To get a good forward via trade, we might have to include him in a trade. If we have to for a very good center, then I would trade him. He's easier to replace then finding a good center.

The long standing wish from the CH to get themselves a ''big right handed center''

has reached ebullition point once again at the end of this season.

Dany Dube has stated that it was the CH's top agenda's plan this summer.

Jason Arnott is the only quality player that fitt the description while being UNRESTRICTED and I presume they

will do everything they can to get him.

What would the CH's plan B be if getting him fails ?

a) will the focus remain on a centre aquisition throught mild trading ( Aebisher, Ribeiro, Zednick ).

B) if that fails, would they be ready to go further that route using heavy trading ( Souray, a young, etc )

c) or will they just forget about such a specific center and just try to get any valuable offensive forwards they

can get via the UFA market and/or the mild trading route.

PS: technical problem (the smilie is not intentional).

Edited by PB

For all the discussions that went on in this thread, like I was trying to clearly explain, as it was obvious that this was the #1 Habs need, BG went on record yesterday (go see RDS article) that he is looking for a forward on the UFA market, not a D. I still don't understand that some of us had to justify this obvious need to some of you.

All of you dreaming of a big D are way out in the outfiled, ain't gonna happen, as offense is clearly our #1 problem, not D. We were top 5 in D with Huet in net.

He also wants to resign Huet and Bouillon (that was also obvious) and he clearly said that its time for Bulis to go look somewhere else to make room for the young guys :D

Apparently, he also was very evasive about Ribs future, which means be-bye :D

Now lets all drop the available UFA D talk and lets concentrate on the available forwards.

Selanne (will probably resign with Anaheim, but would be nice)

Marc Savard (too small and too $ for what he brings)

Arnott :D (how many times did BG mention he wanted a big rright handed center, Kovy and Arnott with Kost or Perez would be a nice line)

Sakic (only in a million years)

Shanahan (not exactly what we need, getting old but would be a nice addition if not too expensive)

Samsonov (another small forward who often gets injured, no thanks)

Peca (horrible offensive stas in the last three years, I'd rather pass, but still an upgrade on Ribs)

Parrish (another Ryder type player?)

Elias (would be nice, but doesn't fill our center need and 8M$ is a lot for 1 player)

Langenbrunner (would be a nice addition)

Straka (reconnecttion with Kovy could be nice, but always injured, small and disapears in the playoffs)

Alyn McCauley (better then Ribs, but not all that great)

Anson Carter (depends at what price, but would ba a nice addition)

Those are the most interesting ones, there are others of lesser quality. Maybe BG will trade for a center and sign a depth addition as UFA?

Interesting summer coming up.

All of you dreaming of a big D are way out in the outfiled, ain't gonna happen, as offense is clearly our #1 problem, not D. We were top 5 in D with Huet in net.

Now lets all drop the available UFA D talk and lets concentrate on the available forwards.

Insulting people well, thats just not nice....well borderline insult. :o

Montreal is a top 5 team in "D" with Huet in net means good goaltending, not necessarily good "D". (Not sure if that is how you wanted to word it)

I do like to talk about defence and if you wish to not participate in my posts, then just ignore me. Simple problem solved. I do like your posts as you are very informative with your hockey knowledge and contracts and will continue to read them.

Outside of Elias and Arnott, I don't think there really is a top forward available with imediate impact for the Habs. I like Legwand and players that are more cap friendly while developing the young forwards. Peca maybe for a playoff run as he is not a serious offensive threat.

The young guys with more playing time will produce more offense.

Insulting people well, thats just not nice....well borderline insult. :o

Montreal is a top 5 team in "D" with Huet in net means good goaltending, not necessarily good "D". (Not sure if that is how you wanted to word it)

I do like to talk about defence and if you wish to not participate in my posts, then just ignore me. Simple problem solved. I do like your posts as you are very informative with your hockey knowledge and contracts and will continue to read them.

Outside of Elias and Arnott, I don't think there really is a top forward available with imediate impact for the Habs. I like Legwand and players that are more cap friendly while developing the young forwards. Peca maybe for a playoff run as he is not a serious offensive threat.

The young guys with more playing time will produce more offense.

Borderline insulting? All I said was that some were way out in the outfield which is a colourful way of saying they're were flat out wrong. Never meant to insult anyone. Why is saying that your wrong insulting? Its a fact.

Anyways, sorry for those who took it the wrong way. I guess some are more easily offended then others, I don't mind admitting I'm wrong if proven wrong. I will try to be more careful next time.

As for Huet and top five D, it goes hand in hand. Doesn't matter how good the goalie is, if he doesn't have a reliable D in front of him, he won't have great stats like Huet did, Khabibulin can confirm that one. Yes I meant that our D is understated and yes its reliable, but not great. A reliable D with a good goalie like Huet gives you a good team D.

I don't want to ignore your posts, I did talk about D in my previous posts, but we BG mentionning that is priority was with a UFA forward and upgrading offense, not a D, I tought that switching the topic towards forwards was more appropriate. Somebody started a thread about Danny Markov when BG just mentionned that offense was is priority, I'm not a big fan of talking about something that will definetly not happen (when its been confirmed by BG), especially when there is plenty of forwards to talk about.

I agree with the young guys generating more offense next year, but BG flat out said that he will be looking at signing a UFA forward to help the offense. It can definetly be a cap friendly guy that contributes by adding depth, thus improving the quality of our top 3 lines we send out every night. Replacing Ribs by almost anybody will be an upgrade for the 2nd line. Pleky would do a better job. I'm just puzzled as to whom BG is interested in with the limited quality UFA forwrds available. My gut says that he is very interested in Arnott.

Let the rumors begin.

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

Once Huet took charge, we, as a team, became one of the better team in term of having some

of the lowest number of goals being scored against us per game in the league.

Those stats belong to Huet, the D and the forwards,.....it belong to the team,...has Huet kept repeating.

This is where we stood at the end of last season defensive wise.........while our offensive total goals production was pretty much on par with our Conference's lowest scoring teams.

Personally I feel that I will get bored next year with the team if they keep on being a marginal offensive threat in a ligue (newNHL) where talent and the scoring depth of a team is the way to go.

I was reassured yesterday when it was confirmed that BG will be trying to get his hand

on an offensive forward this summer.......less reassuring is the fact tha UFAs forwards are in low numbers.

Now is fantaisia time if you allow me.

Gainey get big right handed center Lang from Detroit in exchange of Aebisher-Zednick.

Gainey get Parrish as a UFA left winger......shoot right also.

The team would look like that next season:

Parrish, Lang, Kovalev

Higgins, Koivu, Ryder

Perezhogin, Plekanec, Kostitsyn

Murray, (Bonk or Lapierre), Begin

Both being right handed they would be killer during power plays converting passes from off-winger Kovalev.

Parrish is pretty much like Ryder but feistier and a faster skater....cost 3,800.000 ?

Lang is 35 and a great all around offensive center. Contract is one year left at 3,800.000

This team I believe would possess a killer power play, great scoring depth and speed.....and would be a cup

challenging team.

Lang could also be signed on a year per year basis making him even more interesting.

Not the case for Parrish but since all our forwards are left handed and any of our futur prospects are also left handed.....it would be wise and more effective to keep one right handed shooter for the long run.

Mostly thought,...I believe BG will aim for Arnott.

Once Huet took charge, we, as a team, became one of the better team in term of having some

of the lowest number of goals being scored against us per game in the league.

Those stats belong to Huet, the D and the forwards,.....it belong to the team,...has Huet kept repeating.

This is where we stood at the end of last season defensive wise.........while our offensive total goals production was pretty much on par with our Conference's lowest scoring teams.

Personally I feel that I will get bored next year with the team if they keep on being a marginal offensive threat in a ligue (newNHL) where talent and the scoring depth of a team is the way to go.

I was reassured yesterday when it was confirmed that BG will be trying to get his hand

on an offensive forward this summer.......less reassuring is the fact tha UFAs forwards are in low numbers.

Now is fantaisia time if you allow me.

Gainey get big right handed center Lang from Detroit in exchange of Aebisher-Zednick.

Gainey get Parrish as a UFA left winger......shoot right also.

The team would look like that next season:

Parrish, Lang, Kovalev

Higgins, Koivu, Ryder

Perezhogin, Plekanec, Kostitsyn

Murray, (Bonk or Lapierre), Begin

Both being right handed they would be killer during power plays converting passes from off-winger Kovalev.

Parrish is pretty much like Ryder but feistier and a faster skater....cost 3,800.000 ?

Lang is 35 and a great all around offensive center. Contract is one year left at 3,800.000

This team I believe would possess a killer power play, great scoring depth and speed.....and would be a cup

challenging team.

Lang could also be signed on a year per year basis making him even more interesting.

Not the case for Parrish but since all our forwards are left handed and any of our futur prospects are also left handed.....it would be wise and more effective to keep one right handed shooter for the long run.

Mostly thought,...I believe BG will aim for Arnott.

I like it, except I prefer having Arnott then Lang. Keep those same lines, but put Arnott instead of Lang. Lang at 3.8M$ vs. Arnott at ? I expect him to sign at 5M$ about. Before people say its too much, don't forget that there are not that many good UFA forwards available and that teams will be fighting to get them.

Can we afford both, probably not unless we max out the cap, which BG won't do.

Also, Aebi and Zednick is overpaying for 35 year old Lang. Just Aebi is overpaying. A #1 goalie for an old center who's production is declining is a bit expensive.

I like it, except I prefer having Arnott then Lang. Keep those same lines, but put Arnott instead of Lang. Lang at 3.8M$ vs. Arnott at ? I expect him to sign at 5M$ about. Before people say its too much, don't forget that there are not that many good UFA forwards available and that teams will be fighting to get them.

Can we afford both, probably not unless we max out the cap, which BG won't do.

Also, Aebi and Zednick is overpaying for 35 year old Lang. Just Aebi is overpaying. A #1 goalie for an old center who's production is declining is a bit expensive.

I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't just spend $5 Million on a slightly above average player just because the free agent pool is rather shallow. Your better off trying for a trade, or using the players in your organization, and saving the money for the trade deadline where something better might come along.

Simply because Arnott may be the best of the rather shallow UFA pool doesn't mean Montreal should overpay him to fill one of there needs

I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't just spend $5 Million on a slightly above average player just because the free agent pool is rather shallow. Your better off trying for a trade, or using the players in your organization, and saving the money for the trade deadline where something better might come along.

Simply because Arnott may be the best of the rather shallow UFA pool doesn't mean Montreal should overpay him to fill one of there needs

Komisarek the Cruncher is absolutely correct in that one is going to have to pay a little more for Arnott. Yes he is older and yes $5 million might be the magical number. The thing I do like about Jason is that he is a winner. He is one of those guys like Begin who gives everything to win. Plus he is offensively gifted which Montreal could use.

BG is going to design the team around his idea of a Stanley Cup contender and he knows Arnott quite well. This may be a good fit for Montreal as Ribero is just not giving me a feeling of confidence in our Centre position behind Saku. I would not want to see Montreal import a slew of free agents as this does not help the young guys growth on the team sitting on the bench?

Edited by InsaneAVSfan