Which Free Agent Would You Sign?

Considering the salary, which would you pick?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Defenseman

• Wade Redden
    • Zdeno Chara
    • Bryan McCabe
    • Eric Desjardins
    • Kim Johnsson
    • Ruslan Salei (cheaper)
  2. 2. Top 2 line center

• Marc Savard
    • Jason Arnott
    • Matt Cullen
    • Mike Peca
    • Doug Weight
    • Jason Allison
    • Andrew Cassels
  3. 3. Scoring winger

• Teemu Selanne
    • Eric Daze (with bonuses)
    • Jochen Hecht
    • Peter Bondra
    • Brendan Shanahan
    • Valeri Bure (if proven healthy)
    • Patrick Elias

I like it, except I prefer having Arnott then Lang. Keep those same lines, but put Arnott instead of Lang. Lang at 3.8M$ vs. Arnott at ? I expect him to sign at 5M$ about. Before people say its too much, don't forget that there are not that many good UFA forwards available and that teams will be fighting to get them.

Can we afford both, probably not unless we max out the cap, which BG won't do.

Also, Aebi and Zednick is overpaying for 35 year old Lang. Just Aebi is overpaying. A #1 goalie for an old center who's production is declining is a bit expensive.

Even thought the absence of center Lecavalier and Jokinen from the Unrestricted list this year will not

make it any easyer for BG to do the right thing for his club.......he still gona have to accomplish something

worthwile for the next coming season.

Lang throught trade is interesting as it leave some money for an extra players to come aboard.......but Lang

himself would be temporary in our club.......not a bad thing in itself.

Arnott would be a permanent fixture to our club and might only be avallaible at an inflated price while leaving

out the possibility of acquiring a UFA left winger this year,..(althought Aebisher-Zednick could still be used to get us an innexpensive yet worthwile restricted LW throught trade), (Prospal is 1,900 I believe).

Prospal, Arnott, Kovalev in combination with the Koivu line could still give us a Cup contending team with strong power play and excellent scoring depth.

In the book, getting Lang for Aeby might be over paying yet the benefits our team could end up reaping

might be more relevant than the transaction might suggest.........and after all Aebisher has expired his

usefullness for our needs already......and we have not sacrifice anything to get him in the first place anyhow.

Anyway, we almost didn't make it to the playoffs in this last season and BG will have to do better this

summer than he did during the last inter-season......ascertaining progress and success is paramount to his fonction.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even thought the absence of center Lecavalier and Jokinen from the Unrestricted list this year will not

make it any easyer for BG to do the right thing for his club.......he still gona have to accomplish something

worthwile for the next coming season.

Lang throught trade is interesting as it leave some money for an extra players to come aboard.......but Lang

himself would be temporary in our club.......not a bad thing in itself.

Arnott would be a permanent fixture to our club and might only be avallaible at an inflated price while leaving

out the possibility of acquiring a UFA left winger this year,..(althought Aebisher-Zednick could still be used to get us an innexpensive yet worthwile restricted LW throught trade), (Prospal is 1,900 I believe).

Prospal, Arnott, Kovalev in combination with the Koivu line could still give us a Cup contending team with strong power play and excellent scoring depth.

In the book, getting Lang for Aeby might be over paying yet the benefits our team could end up reaping

might be more relevant than the transaction might suggest.........and after all Aebisher has expired his

usefullness for our needs already......and we have not sacrifice anything to get him in the first place anyhow.

Anyway, we almost didn't make it to the playoffs in this last season and BG will have to do better this

summer than he did during the last inter-season......ascertaining progress and success is paramount to his fonction.

I like the Prospal-Arnott-Kovalev line, that would be nice.

Prospal-Arnott-Kovalev

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Perezhogin

Begin-Bonk-Murray

Those would be very nice lines for next year. What an improvement on this year.

In return for Aebi, I'd rather get something that will be usefull for a few years (Prospal) instead of a Lang who probably as 1 or 2 years left in him (and only one year left on his contract), and at a declining production on top of it.

As for the left wing, I'm not sure what BG as in mind with Higgins, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn and Latendresse being able to play there. I don't know if he intends to get an experienced LW? Besides, he would be for 1 year as the 4 others mentionned will be ready for sure in 2 years.

Komisarek the Cruncher is absolutely correct in that one is going to have to pay a little more for Arnott. Yes he is older and yes $5 million might be the magical number. The thing I do like about Jason is that he is a winner. He is one of those guys like Begin who gives everything to win. Plus he is offensively gifted which Montreal could use.

BG is going to design the team around his idea of a Stanley Cup contender and he knows Arnott quite well. This may be a good fit for Montreal as Ribero is just not giving me a feeling of confidence in our Centre position behind Saku. I would not want to see Montreal import a slew of free agents as this does not help the young guys growth on the team sitting on the bench?

I dont agree that playing on the third line in your first seasons in the NHL is equivalant to be

sitting on the bench doing nothing for your new club.

It's a good place to be face to face with the requirement of the best league in the world,...its a good place to

understand and meet the requirements of your new coach,...its a good place to be at ease with equivalant

rooky type linesmates and play your best,....its a good place to give your new team your best efforts and ideally provide to the scoring depth all team needs in order to be a winning team.

The best of them have to be ready to replace the top-liners when injuries occurs and provide quality support in power play situations so as to refrain their teams from falling back in the standing as it happens to often.

Hight draftees or not, only time on the third line will tell when they are ready to monopolised a top line spot and be effective in the power play dutys that comes with it........they will reach it eventually if they deserve it.....and it might not always be the ones that where expected to do so........like Higgins this year, which depending on how it goes could well become a permanent fixture on the top two lines for years to come.

We need speed and scoring capabilities deep in our team's lines in order to be competitive,....and the best place it seems to get it from is from our youngs.

Edited by PB

According to Yvon Pedneault of RDS (see rumors on Spector's site), for whatever that's worth because he's an imbecile, the Hbas are in discussions with Dallas for Arnott.

Maybe to acquire is rights to talk to him or maybe to pull a trade ala Heatley, but without giving much inreturn, since he's 23 days away from being a UFA. Dallas could sign Arnott to the deal the Habs want to sign him and then we could trade for him. Ribs and Zednik to unload salaries and unecessary players from our roster. This might be a cheaper way of signing Arnott in terms of $ (won't get offers from other teams, so no bidding war for the best center available this summer) but more expensive in terms of having to give out players in return. If we have to give useless guys like Ribs and Zednik, then I'm all for it, a cheaper salary will have an impact on our cap for years to come.

Gotta love BG.

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

According to Yvon Pedneault of RDS (see rumors on Spector's site), for whatever that's worth because he's an imbecile, the Hbas are in discussions with Dallas for Arnott.

Maybe to acquire is rights to talk to him or maybe to pull a trade ala Heatley, but without giving much inreturn, since he's 23 days away from being a UFA. Dallas could sign Arnott to the deal the Habs want to sign him and then we could trade for him. Ribs and Zednik to unload salaries and unecessary players from our roster. This might be a cheaper way of signing Arnott in terms of $ (won't get offers from other teams, so no bidding war for the best center available this summer) but more expensive in terms of having to give out players in return. If we have to give useless guys like Ribs and Zednik, then I'm all for it, a cheaper salary will have an impact on our cap for years to come.

Gotta love BG.

What luck that the UFA we would want the most bar none is connected to an organisation where our GM has

played a central role there for many years and where CH new coach Carbo was still being a part of it but just a few months ago.

I wonder why would Arnott want out of Dallas thought ? But if this is the case I have no problem seing BG

obtaining the exclusive right of negociation from Dallas for obvious reasons. This scenario might not bring

Arnott in here at lower anticipated market value but the chances of getting him at all are now all that much better. In term of UFA aquisition and the linked many years contract they usually represent..... he is a perfect

fit within the evolving pieces within the CH system.

If that get done, BG might want to get a quality LW for the top line in a trade involving Aebisher,....

a proven forward with one or two years left in his contract,.....the time it will get for one of the Russian on the

third line to prove its worthiness to get the top job.

go Bob go

Gotta love BG.

Interesting sign and trade like the NBA. The only major reason I could see Dallas wanting to pull this off is to get Arnott out of the west where he could hurt them. Maybe Montreal has something they like as this would not be the first trade between these two teams.

Good Find Komisarek the Cruncher. :ghg:

If Zednik or Bonk is part of the deal, its well worth a sign and trade. Getting rid of either of their salaries is a plus, and knocks downs some of the $5 Million or so it would take to sign Arnott.

I would say the "deal" would be no more than a draft pick or a prospect as this is not guaranteeing Arnott becomes a habs...just the opportunity to speak with him before other teams can. As the report says, Dallas gets nothing if they wait 3 weeks.

What luck that the UFA we would want the most bar none is connected to an organisation where our GM has

played a central role there for many years and where CH new coach Carbo was still being a part of it but just a few months ago.

I wonder why would Arnott want out of Dallas thought ? But if this is the case I have no problem seing BG

obtaining the exclusive right of negociation from Dallas for obvious reasons. This scenario might not bring

Arnott in here at lower anticipated market value but the chances of getting him at all are now all that much better. In term of UFA aquisition and the linked many years contract they usually represent..... he is a perfect

fit within the evolving pieces within the CH system.

If that get done, BG might want to get a quality LW for the top line in a trade involving Aebisher,....

a proven forward with one or two years left in his contract,.....the time it will get for one of the Russian on the

third line to prove its worthiness to get the top job.

go Bob go

If we can sign him before July first or Dallas does and then trade him to us, I believe we can have him at a cheaper price vs. him hitting the UFA market. I'm not talking about a big discount, but avoiding the bidding war and avoiding him earing offers from other teams would help to get him at a lower price. Once a player becomes a UFA, anything can happen and you never know which idiot GM can decide to make a huge offer to a player.

If we can sign him before July first or Dallas does and then trade him to us, I believe we can have him at a cheaper price vs. him hitting the UFA market. I'm not talking about a big discount, but avoiding the bidding war and avoiding him earing offers from other teams would help to get him at a lower price. Once a player becomes a UFA, anything can happen and you never know which idiot GM can decide to make a huge offer to a player.

Bit why would Arnott want to sign before seeing what other teams are willing to offer. I could see it if he wanted to stay in Dallas...

Bit why would Arnott want to sign before seeing what other teams are willing to offer. I could see it if he wanted to stay in Dallas...

Because he knows BG and Carb well. Maybe they really get a long. He would already know his new coach. It gives BG and Carb the chance to talk to him and convince him that Mtl is great. It also gives Carb a chance to explain to him what he expects from him and the role he would have with us. It also aloows us to tell him that he would be playing with a great player like Kovalev.

Its not always just about the money. Its probably is last big contract where he will finish off his career or almost and maybe the team and the destination are more important at that stage then the $. The Habs will be a very good team for the next 5 years for sure, so its very appealing for a player at 31 of age.

Never said it was for sure, but its a possibility. Forsberg signed at a discount with Philly last year. If the Habs and Dallas are really talking, its not to wait until after July 1st, and that is for sure.

Anything's possible, maybe its just to give us a head start in being able to talk to Arnott before the other teams. Maybe Dallas knows that Arnott is not coming back to them.

Because he knows BG and Carb well. Maybe they really get a long. He would already know his new coach. It gives BG and Carb the chance to talk to him and convince him that Mtl is great. It also gives Carb a chance to explain to him what he expects from him and the role he would have with us. It also aloows us to tell him that he would be playing with a great player like Kovalev.

Its not always just about the money. Its probably is last big contract where he will finish off his career or almost and maybe the team and the destination are more important at that stage then the $. The Habs will be a very good team for the next 5 years for sure, so its very appealing for a player at 31 of age.

Never said it was for sure, but its a possibility. Forsberg signed at a discount with Philly last year. If the Habs and Dallas are really talking, its not to wait until after July 1st, and that is for sure.

Anything's possible, maybe its just to give us a head start in being able to talk to Arnott before the other teams. Maybe Dallas knows that Arnott is not coming back to them.

My point is, even if Arnott wants to come to Montreal, I don't see any reason why he would sign a contract before July 1.

He obviously knows that he can come to Montreal if he wants. I don't see him signing with Dallas in order to come to us. If he wants to come to us, it makes more sense for him to wait and sign after July 1. That way he can see what all the offers are.

Even if he has already decided he wants to come to Montreal, he is better off waiting until after July 1. That way he comes to a team that has more assets (not having traded anything to get him) and so his new team should do better next year.

In summary, I think it is not impossible for him to be in Montreal next year but I don't see us trading for the right to sign him before July 1.

Well there is another Center that I have liked who is parting ways with his old team. Greg Johnson of the Nashville Predators is not going to be offered a contract.

Source: http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...s&news_id=50348

His stats are he is 35, 5'11" and 238 points in 502 games. He was also captain of his team so I believe he has leadership abilities.

I know he is not the offensive weapon everyone wants but there really is not much available this year for the centre position. For a goal scorer Elias is going to demand a kings ransom after that Richards signing.

It amazes me that this string has gone on so long. I suppose it's indicative of the flux that our team is going through right now.

We'll have some questions answered by July 1st, I expect.

Should be interesting.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

It amazes me that this string has gone on so long. I suppose it's indicative of the flux that our team is going through right now.

We'll have some questions answered by July 1st, I expect.

Should be interesting.

This thread is tiny compared to the NBA boards with the draft coming up. Plus it is always fun to speculate what bob Gainey is going to do because I want to know NOW! At least on who he is looking at. This guy never even drops a hint at what he is doing. grrrr..... bad for rumours....

Now if I mention a defenceman name I like Komisarek The Crusher is going to body slam me into the luxury boxes.... :D:D

This thread is tiny compared to the NBA boards with the draft coming up. Plus it is always fun to speculate what bob Gainey is going to do because I want to know NOW! At least on who he is looking at. This guy never even drops a hint at what he is doing. grrrr..... bad for rumours....

Now if I mention a defenceman name I like Komisarek The Crusher is going to body slam me into the luxury boxes.... :D:D

Drop a name... drop a name... drop a name... that would be wild to watch KTC do that. :o

Here's a name for you InsaneAVSfan...KUBINA :P

He's my favoritre available D this summer. Probably the one that would bring us what we need the most at a decent price. The Redden's, Chara's and Jovanovski's are too expensive.

Kubina at 4M$ would be great. Get rid of Souray (Kubina is good on the PP and much better defensively) and it only cost us 1.5M$ to majorly upgrade our D.

Here's a name for you InsaneAVSfan...KUBINA :P

He's my favoritre available D this summer. Probably the one that would bring us what we need the most at a decent price. The Redden's, Chara's and Jovanovski's are too expensive.

Kubina at 4M$ would be great. Get rid of Souray (Kubina is good on the PP and much better defensively) and it only cost us 1.5M$ to majorly upgrade our D.

Souray is one of those guys that I actually like on some nights, then there are the Sidney Crosby Deke him out of his pads nights. If Sheldon could just put together a consistant (Does not have to be superstar) effort every night, he would be a valuable defenceman.

I would like the Kubina idea as I think a few people on Habsworld.net have discussed him. 209 points in 531 games is good. -98 in his career is not so good but he does know offense! At $4M the Habs have the room to add his talent to the core Montreal has. As harsh as I may seem on the Habs "D", I really would only like to see an upgrade by adding one guy. Too many times teams make radical changes and end up doing nothing with said changes.

I have totally given up on the high priced defenceman as the Leafs have just wrecked the market. Your observations about Chara and company are so accurate I have put those guys right out of any free agent signing thoughts.

SIGH, Come on Bob, give us something to argue about. Go get Mario out of retirement. :)

Souray is one of those guys that I actually like on some nights, then there are the Sidney Crosby Deke him out of his pads nights. If Sheldon could just put together a consistant (Does not have to be superstar) effort every night, he would be a valuable defenceman.

I would like the Kubina idea as I think a few people on Habsworld.net have discussed him. 209 points in 531 games is good. -98 in his career is not so good but he does know offense! At $4M the Habs have the room to add his talent to the core Montreal has. As harsh as I may seem on the Habs "D", I really would only like to see an upgrade by adding one guy. Too many times teams make radical changes and end up doing nothing with said changes.

I have totally given up on the high priced defenceman as the Leafs have just wrecked the market. Your observations about Chara and company are so accurate I have put those guys right out of any free agent signing thoughts.

SIGH, Come on Bob, give us something to argue about. Go get Mario out of retirement. :)

Kubina is a better defensive D then is +/- rating shows. He played with TB all is career where having -30 was good for a TB player 6 years ago. They are an offensive minded team and his +/- rating would be much better if he was playing for a team like the Habs.

He's a better version of Souray. Big (6'4", 230 lbs), good offensively but (unlike Souray) also realible on defense. Not a stay at home defense, but won't get deked out of his pants like Souray does. You see Crosby when you imagine Souray being deked out, I see Spezza. Man was that one bad...looked like a pee-wee player... I also see Brind'amour in the 3rd game of the playoff where it was so important to just play the man instead of trying to smash him into lala land...Brind'amout tied the game late in the 3rd on that play and that was the end of our season from there :angry2:

Kubina isn't that much better that Souray, to justify trading Souray and Signing Kubina to a $4 + million dollar contract. Souray is the better deal at $2.4 Million. The extra $1.6 Million is better spent elsewhere.

Kubina isn't that much better that Souray, to justify trading Souray and Signing Kubina to a $4 + million dollar contract. Souray is the better deal at $2.4 Million. The extra $1.6 Million is better spent elsewhere.

Why not have both. Kubina would not break the bank and would add depth to the blueline. Yes Souray is a bargain compared to some guys, so why not take advantage of his contract and add a little more depth? After seeing what happened to Buffalo with the core "D" injuries, it would frighten me to see Souray and Markov both down in a playoff run without adequate depth. YIKES!

If we sign Kubina then we have an extra d-man or 2. Weèd probably have to get rid of one of Souray, Rivet or Dandy because they make a few bucks. I'd rather get a smallname guy. Paul Mara would be nice pick-up.

I'm with kaos on this one.

Well if you sign a Kubina or Mara and don't get rid of anyone, then you are pretty much maxed out on the salary cap.

I don't think Mara will come any cheaper than Kubina. This guy is going to command somewhere around $4 to $4.5 Million. He's an excellent defensman who is underexposed out in Phoenix.

BUt I guess if your going to go out and get a Mara or Kubina, then you could always cut loose Bouillon and theres a million in savings.

Guess we'll have to wait and see who is available come July 1.

I'm thinking with the extra 2 weeks teams have, most of the defensman will be resigned. Especially Mara. He's to good to be lost for nothing. Gretzky knows that