Which Free Agent Would You Sign?

Considering the salary, which would you pick?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Defenseman

• Wade Redden
    • Zdeno Chara
    • Bryan McCabe
    • Eric Desjardins
    • Kim Johnsson
    • Ruslan Salei (cheaper)
  2. 2. Top 2 line center

• Marc Savard
    • Jason Arnott
    • Matt Cullen
    • Mike Peca
    • Doug Weight
    • Jason Allison
    • Andrew Cassels
  3. 3. Scoring winger

• Teemu Selanne
    • Eric Daze (with bonuses)
    • Jochen Hecht
    • Peter Bondra
    • Brendan Shanahan
    • Valeri Bure (if proven healthy)
    • Patrick Elias

Like I said on another thread, so far as I'm concerned, these are the best to consider looking at to improve our situation.

Defence:

Derek Morris,

Paul Mara,

Eric Brewer,

Cory Sarich,

Forward:

David Legwand

The reason for them is that they, especially the defensemen, would be potentially good additions and the asking price, I don't imagine would be in the range of the SUPERSTAR players. They would do just fine.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few people have said that Streit won't be back next year. I'm going to go on record and say that he will be back.

The only way I see him leaving is if he is thrown in as part of a trade. He had a decent rookie season and doesn't cost much. We don't have any prospects who can be counted on to step up and fill his spot. Even if we sign a big name Dman we will still need some depth. In that case he won't probably get many minutes but he will still be here.

His last quarter season he was fine to good and I see no reason to get rid of him. I doubt Gainey and Carbonneau will either.

Like I said on another thread, so far as I'm concerned, these are the best to consider looking at to improve our situation.

Defence:

Derek Morris,

Paul Mara,

Eric Brewer,

Cory Sarich,

Forward:

David Legwand

The reason for them is that they, especially the defensemen, would be potentially good additions and the asking price, I don't imagine would be in the range of the SUPERSTAR players. They would do just fine.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Yes, 5 more great players. I would be happy with any of them.

What did Theo do when the Avs needed him in the second round???? Absolutely NOTHING !!!!

You're kidding me, right? Right?

Good one acting like the Colorado media is good. Avs fans take what they say with a grain of salt which you'd know if you were an Avs fan.

Theo was the only one who showed up for the 2nd round. Period. Sakic, Brunette, Blake...they all pulled dissapearing acts. We were too slow and too weak to keep up with the Ducks. Every other second there was an odd man rush and very little time did the Avs have the puck. It was always in our zone, always being pressed on us. Every Avs fan knows we need to get younger and faster, it's basically the consensus. Everyone is also PLEASED with Theodore and what we saw. Does that make us stupid fans? To you, probably. But it's good enough for us.

So please, cut the crap and stop acting like you know the Avs and watched them in the playoffs. Before you look like a bigger fool.

Good one acting like the Colorado media is good. Avs fans take what they say with a grain of salt which you'd know if you were an Avs fan.

Theo was the only one who showed up for the 2nd round. Period. Sakic, Brunette, Blake...they all pulled dissapearing acts. We were too slow and too weak to keep up with the Ducks. Every other second there was an odd man rush and very little time did the Avs have the puck. It was always in our zone, always being pressed on us. Every Avs fan knows we need to get younger and faster, it's basically the consensus. Everyone is also PLEASED with Theodore and what we saw. Does that make us stupid fans? To you, probably. But it's good enough for us.

So please, cut the crap and stop acting like you know the Avs and watched them in the playoffs. Before you look like a bigger fool.

What Jets says is true. Theo played quite well for the Avs. Made some great saves and kept his team in the game numerous times. The rest of the team basically were floaters out there. All this is coming from a Canucks fan as well. We have a huge rivalry eh Jets? B)

We finished 13th because we had an idiot in net for most of the season (Theo).

I think that you get a little too excited about my posts. I said "so lets not put the blame entirely on the offense". You should quote me correctly.

Montreal at the end of the season (AFTER THE LEAF GAMES) played like $%*^^&^&! They got in by another team losing, hardly encouraging for next year. In other words, why would you be excited about this. Souray was on so many hilight reels on TSN geting beat that I lost count. I really love the Sydney Crosby move when Souray tried to hip check and Syd just made him look silly. Classic defensive blunder.

I want to see one thing. The Habs to get back to the glory years of winning Stanley Cups. Lets See.. Savard, Lapoint, Robinson all were fabulous defenceman with championship ambitions and abilities. Although I like Montreal's current defenceman(Cannot criticize hustle and heart) I do not feel they are in the league of say a PRONGER who is close to going to the Stanley Cup.

If Montreal lands Elias for 7-8million, how does this help the offense? The other teams will just check him like crazy as Koivu and Kovalev are not offensive power houses. I will agree with you that the offense needs help, but one superstar is not the answer just yet.

I won't argue with you about Theo as you have the blinders on and that is OK as it is your opinion and I will respect this. Jose will be OK in Colorado. Huet is a good goalie and I expect Abby to get traded for some help at the draft table. Montreal will be fine with goaltending for many years as Price will be the man one day.

My opinion is that Redden and Komisarek paired together would be an outstanding combination. Redden is an outstanding defenceman and to just disrespect him like that is just not right. I have been spoiled watching all those excellent defenceman in Colorado. (Blake, Foot, The Boston Rental Guy, etc...) These are the guys that bring championships and what I believe will help elevate Montreal to the finals.

Now Redden is no free pass to the cup.....even while riding on a full scaled Senator's back.

The last team to go all the way was Tampa Bay....they had good defence as I recall...and a very good goaly.

As Komisarek The Cruncher mentionned earlier.....Once Huet took over the net, our team managed to be

scored on less than 25 other teams in the circuit.

Our closest successfull competitors ( Buff-Carolina ) are well behind us in that departement but their total goals scored for are well beyong ours.......which should be an obvious pointer as to which direction our team

needs most to improved on.

Not only are our defence hermetically correct but they also can contribute offensivelly as well as Buff-Car owns Ds.

Anyway with limited rescources it seems Gainey had decided his focus would be conscerned with the aquisition of forwards.......not because the UFA market favors it in anyway...but because it is what his team

needs most to advance in this circuit. I shure hope he can get what he wants out there.....and than some.

Does anyone know what Montreals actual cap space is right now? And if it goes up say $4million league wide to say $43 million will the Habs go that high?

I know they have quite a few people to resign like Huet, Begin, Bouillon, Streit etc. Just wondering what cap room would be left for a big name player. If there is not much left than a big name player is a moot point and the kids are going to have to be the go to guys. I just don't see how Dallas can have all those top players and extra guys and the Habs cannot get some of the big names in Montreal to fit the cap. (Colorado and Detroit too)

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

We have a lot of cap space. Well a decent amount. Maybe 6 million to spend on UFA.

Now back to the original argument. The Habs need offence way more than defence. Like I said in my post on the previous page, we'd be better off with the chepa small name guys. I say that if we get 1 75+ point forward and one Kuba/Mitchell/Mara/Kubina type player then we will have a great team this year. Maybe even great enough to give a deteriorating Ottawa a team a run for their money for the Northeast Division title.

We have a lot of cap space. Well a decent amount. Maybe 6 million to spend on UFA.

Now back to the original argument. The Habs need offence way more than defence. Like I said in my post on the previous page, we'd be better off with the chepa small name guys. I say that if we get 1 75+ point forward and one Kuba/Mitchell/Mara/Kubina type player then we will have a great team this year. Maybe even great enough to give a deteriorating Ottawa a team a run for their money for the Northeast Division title.

while they do probably have around $6 Million to spend, its a whole nother question as to whether they actually use it.

while they do probably have around $6 Million to spend, its a whole nother question as to whether they actually use it.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking.

It has to be more or there is no way they can go after any big name players as they have guys to resign. Plus the ownership has to be enjoying profits instead of losses with the 24% clawback and playoff games.

------Update to original post----------

Just found on TSN: "The Canadiens have 10 players worth $23.242 million under contract for next season, assuming they pick up their option on energetic centre Steve Begin.

Under contract for next season are forwards Bonk, Saku Koivu, Alex Kovalev, Tomas Plekanec and Richard Zednik and defencemen Craig Rivet, Sheldon Souray, Andrei Markov and Mathieu Dandenault."

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/news_story/?ID...e=nhl-canadiens

If true than IF Montreal can spend to the limit they have ~$20million to play with. This makes more sense with the trade of Theo's big contract.

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

Although I like Montreal's current defenceman(Cannot criticize hustle and heart) I do not feel they are in the league of say a PRONGER who is close to going to the Stanley Cup.

My opinion is that Redden and Komisarek paired together would be an outstanding combination. Redden is an outstanding defenceman and to just disrespect him like that is just not right. I have been spoiled watching all those excellent defenceman in Colorado. (Blake, Foot, The Boston Rental Guy, etc...) These are the guys that bring championships and what I believe will help elevate Montreal to the finals.

I agree with you about a Redden-Komisarek duo, but let's keep in mind that hardly no one is in Pronger's league, arguably one of the best defensemen in history (very easily a top 15)

I agree with you about a Redden-Komisarek duo, but let's keep in mind that hardly no one is in Pronger's league, arguably one of the best defensemen in history (very easily a top 15)

Yeah I'd say he'd be in the top 10 if he could keep his temper under control. Gets him into some really stupid penalties. But he is very good. Easily Top 15 all time. And still in his prime

Look who's on a Habs board trying to tell me what my team needs...as if you know them welll !!!! Your coments are quite foolish them selves.

Who's the fool !!! I don't go on Avs boards telling Avs fans what they need. I don't know what you guys need except a decent goalie. I never said anything about the rest of your team. I know it's frustrating to be stuck with a 5.5M$ garbage goalie, but that's life.

Good for you if your team needs to get younger and faster, I never said otherwise???

As for Avs fans being pleased with Theo, I did scan Avs boards after they acquired him and during the playoffs, and except in your imagination, they were tearing him apart.

Does it make you a stupid fan, NO, just a not well informed fan who will quickly know what I'm talking about next year when it comes to Theo.

The guy finished dead last this year, yes last, which means 30th out of 30 teams as a #1 goalie. Worst GAA and worst save% in the league for #1 goalies, and I watched him all year long here in Mtl, and you're gonna convince me that he will be good :wacko: That's a good one.

He is small and will be a terible goalie in the new HNL with the new rules. Guys have more time to shoot now and the big, huge, humongous holes he as above his shoulders because he's always down are easy targets for NHLers. Why do you think that are so many good goalies who are now bad or average at best with the new rules and some nobody's became great goalies...because the new rules require different skills for a goalie, and Theo does not have them. Besides, he's more worried about his contract, his hair, the next TV publicity he as to shoot and the next photo shoot for a star magazine he will appear in, than playing well and being competitive.

There was a reason we kicked Brisebois out and there's a reason why we kicked Theo out. You learned it the hard way this year with Brisebois, the same will happen next year with Theo.

As for the rest of your team, I hope Guigère gives you what you want, because to be competitive next year with Theo in net, you will desperatly need it.

I think that you get a little too excited about my posts. I said "so lets not put the blame entirely on the offense". You should quote me correctly.

Montreal at the end of the season (AFTER THE LEAF GAMES) played like $%*^^&^&! They got in by another team losing, hardly encouraging for next year. In other words, why would you be excited about this. Souray was on so many hilight reels on TSN geting beat that I lost count. I really love the Sydney Crosby move when Souray tried to hip check and Syd just made him look silly. Classic defensive blunder.

I want to see one thing. The Habs to get back to the glory years of winning Stanley Cups. Lets See.. Savard, Lapoint, Robinson all were fabulous defenceman with championship ambitions and abilities. Although I like Montreal's current defenceman(Cannot criticize hustle and heart) I do not feel they are in the league of say a PRONGER who is close to going to the Stanley Cup.

If Montreal lands Elias for 7-8million, how does this help the offense? The other teams will just check him like crazy as Koivu and Kovalev are not offensive power houses. I will agree with you that the offense needs help, but one superstar is not the answer just yet.

I won't argue with you about Theo as you have the blinders on and that is OK as it is your opinion and I will respect this. Jose will be OK in Colorado. Huet is a good goalie and I expect Abby to get traded for some help at the draft table. Montreal will be fine with goaltending for many years as Price will be the man one day.

We did not finish in the top 5 in the league defensively with Huet in net for nothing, and he did not get 7 shutouts in only 36 games by accident, it takes good D to accomplish this.

So what if Souray is a liability, that's 1 D out of 6, and the other 5 are quite reliable defensively. All teams have 1 or 2 weaker links in the chain. Souray's role is on the PP and PK, and he does it well.

As for getting in the playoffs with another team losing, what does that have to do with anything??? There are 82 games in a season, and the last game is as important as the first. We would not have needed to have another team lose if Theo would have done is job earlier in the season in the first place. Besides, I've already said that if BG wants to replace a D, Souray is the one to replace, but for a 4M$ D top, not a 7M$ Redden.

As for not being in Pronger's league, nobody his. Redden could not even bring Ottawa to the semi-finals, why would he bring the Habs further??? Buffalo and Carolina don't have star D and they are doing well I would say. In fact, if it wasn't for Koivu's injury, the Habs would probably be playing against Buffalo right now, not Carolina.

As for Elias getting all the attention, great, that's what a super star is needed for. Koivu and Kovalev would have more freedom that they don't have right now because they are presently are best offensive threats, therefore our most checked players. If not a star, a few good quality players to add depth and have 3 good scoring lines would make me as happy, the point is we need offense, not defense.

As for Theo, let's not discuss him further, because I will never have respect for this asshole, whom I had to deal with (business wise) years ago. The guy is such a primadona prick who thinks the world resolves around him it's not even funny. Sorry, but I know certain things that you don't know, which I can't get into the specifics, but trust me when I say that he only cares about himself.

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

Now hold on, don't go slandering someone unless you're going to show the proof to back it up.

It's called professionalism. It's also called respecting the code of deontology (code of ethic for all non professionals) to which I have to respect and honor. I'm not going to lose my license/title, as well as my job and career for this idiot to please your curiosity.

Sorry, but that's how it works in the life of professionals. Like the lawyers, can't reveal anything, client confidentiality.

It's not because that I can't reveal why, that I'm not going to critisize him. My opinion is what it is (it was also the opinion of all 9 people involve in the deal) and I won't start saying nice things or respecting the guy because I can't explain why.

All I will say is that the guy is by far the biggest ego and jerk that I had to deal with, and I had to deal with guys much more important and much richer then him, including Serge Savard...now that's at class act when it comes down to business, the man sticks to his word, unlike Mr. Propecia.

Don't be fooled by the media and the image it projects, it's only for business that he does it, he doesn't care about anyone except his bank account and how good he looks. The guy cares more about being a star then a hockey player.

Maybe going to Colorado and getting a reality check (he won't get the attention over there like here even if he tries) will do him some good. I sure hope it deflates his big head.

It's called professionalism. It's also called respecting the code of deontology (code of ethic for all non professionals) to which I have to respect and honor. I'm not going to lose my license/title, as well as my job and career for this idiot to please your curiosity.

Your comments as to how you describe Theo are very unprofessional and some may question your honesty. If you know the guy or have inside information that can not be brought forth, than I can respect that. But to slag someone that bad on a board and then try and hide behind some "Professional Code Of Honour" does not show credibility to many people and makes it impossible to prove your point. It is not a big deal to me as I would not want you to put your career in peril.

I have enough faith in the other person to believe you are reperesenting yourself accurately, so I will trust you are telling the truth. And yes you are correct in his very first series as an Avalanche goalie, Theo was very very lucky and looked like the Montreal Theo.

I think Huet at this point in time is a better goalie, but that is just my opinion.

I don't remember anyone saying he was any good when he played for St. Louis.

I think his Hart and Norris trophies, as well as a few more nominations, would say otherwise. Pronger is considered by many as the the best defenseman in the NHL (others would say Lidstrom or Niedermayer, also valid opinions), and it didn't start this season. I said he's at least in the top 15 in NHL's history, and you could probably even make a case for top 5.

Very often in the not-so-long past I've heard players say that Pronger was the most intimidating player in the league.

Your comments as to how you describe Theo are very unprofessional and some may question your honesty. If you know the guy or have inside information that can not be brought forth, than I can respect that. But to slag someone that bad on a board and then try and hide behind some "Professional Code Of Honour" does not show credibility to many people and makes it impossible to prove your point. It is not a big deal to me as I would not want you to put your career in peril.

I have enough faith in the other person to believe you are reperesenting yourself accurately, so I will trust you are telling the truth. And yes you are correct in his very first series as an Avalanche goalie, Theo was very very lucky and looked like the Montreal Theo.

I think Huet at this point in time is a better goalie, but that is just my opinion.

The way I describe Theo is far from being unprofessional, I did nor reveal anything that I'm not allowed and saying that he's an idiot is not unprofessional. The business world is a very tough world, much tougher then the day to day life that the average person lives. Being rough and saying that someone is a prick is common. Weak people don't last a minute in the business world, I may sound rough, but actually, I'm one of the nice guys out there. There are many jerks, and Theo is the biggest I have met so far.

As for questioning my honesty and making it impossible to prove my point, it was not my intention, I knew that I would not be able to prove it by giving out details, I'm simply saying how I feel about the guy. Even if I were to give details, it would not bring credibility because nobody would be able to corroborate what happened.

The guy was done in Mtl, hopefully for you, he wil bounce back as he was a good goalie a few years ago (always been overrated in my opinion, but was a goog goalie). He used to be nice (I used to have respect for him), but the trophees, money and attention he got from the fans and media went straight up to his head. Like I said, hopefully Colorado will deflate that head, then he might be able to come back.

As for Huet being better or not, let's just say he's less of a risk under a cap system. 5.5M$ for Theo is way too much in my opinion. He's not really a team player either. Funny how a few Habs (including captain Koivu) gave Theo a shot when they mentionned how the team was more confident and a better team with Huet in net. Koivu even said that bringing Huet back for next year is the most important thing that BG as to do this summer.

Theo, Ribs and Dagenais were a click that nobody respected in that team. Nopw, there's only Ribs left to get rid of.

Good luck to your Avs next year. I like them, I use to be a Nordiques fan.

Sorry, but that's how it works in the life of professionals. Like the lawyers, can't reveal anything, client confidentiality.

It's not because that I can't reveal why, that I'm not going to critisize him. My opinion is what it is (it was also the opinion of all 9 people involve in the deal) and I won't start saying nice things or respecting the guy because I can't explain why.

All I will say is that the guy is by far the biggest ego and jerk that I had to deal with, and I had to deal with guys much more important and much richer then him, including Serge Savard...now that's at class act when it comes down to business, the man sticks to his word, unlike Mr. Propecia.

Don't be fooled by the media and the image it projects, it's only for business that he does it, he doesn't care about anyone except his bank account and how good he looks. The guy cares more about being a star then a hockey player.

Maybe going to Colorado and getting a reality check (he won't get the attention over there like here even if he tries) will do him some good. I sure hope it deflates his big head.

Nice try, but calling a guy an asshole and primadonna prick isn't professional at all. I doubt very much you've ever had dealings with him. But probably got this information second hand. Theres no buisness bringing it up here.

Anyways this is about which free agents we would like to see, not about ethics and former goaltenders who used to play for the Montreal Canadiens

Edited by kaos

Nice try, but calling a guy an asshole and primadonna prick isn't professional at all. I doubt very much you've ever had dealings with him. But probably got this information second hand. Theres no buisness bringing it up here.

Anyways this is about which free agents we would like to see, not about ethics and former goaltenders who used to play for the Montreal Canadiens

What do you no about professionalism...absolutely nothing obviously by thinking that what I said was unprofessional. Besides the professionalism was about not giving out details, not the comments about Theo, I can say what I want about Theo. You would know this if you were a member of a professional association, which you are obviously not.

As for what you think about me having dealings or not with Theo, I could not care less...I know what's true, that's all that counts. The second hand that told me was the left side of my brain.

I can bring any business I want here, this is a free web site where we can express our opinions. You don't like it, too bad for you, just don't reply then, or go find another web site to go cry to. I don't spend my time bitching other people unless they start, unlike you and your "professionalism".

As for free agents, I would recommend that BG signs all the ones you don't want to come here, that way I'm sure they will be of good quality since you know so much about hockey :wacko:

Well, so long sucker, I found a better web site for the habs, I'm fed up of arguying with an arrogant fool like you.

Be bye !!!

Thread topic: Which free agents would you sign?

Is Theo a free agent? No... So shut the hell up about Theo and let's get back on topic.