Toughness Gone....

HABZRULE

According to the Gazette, Pete Vandermeer and Ivanans are both gone- no contracts will be offered. Who will step in now? Simpson is another rumoured to not be back!

Interesting, but not surprising. Both were disappointing last year. They're both likely career farmers, and I'm sure Gainey would much rather add Speed and/or grit rather than guys who can drop their gloves.

The new NHL set out to more or less eliminate fighting, and it seems as though the trend is starting to take over, as less and less "goon" types of players really have a place or future in the NHL.

Not surprising on Simpson either, as Gainey likely only got him as an experienced 8th D for the playoffs.

Too bad... I thought Ivanans had potential... He was huge.. and surprisingly quick...

But I guess when you're that big, you don't get much fighting practice in... and it showed... although the Chara shot was CHEAP and should have resulted in a suspension...

Goons are becoming much less useful in the new NHL. Almost to the point that you can't play them anyway. Your tough guys need to be players... like a Begin, Downey, and Murray. I think 'goon days' are numbered. You need hard-nosed, energy players, who aren't a wasted spot on your bench. Like Ivanans and Vandermeer were.

Garbage in - Garbage out......

Redundant merchandise = better replaced and no longer needed in the new NHL!!!!!

According to the Gazette, Pete Vandermeer and Ivanans are both gone- no contracts will be offered. Who will step in now? Simpson is another rumoured to not be back!

These 3 guys played a grand total of something like 3 NHL games with the Habs this season. Losing them has no affect on the team whatsoever.

Thank god....Ivanans was junk. Vandermeer wasn't much better.

There is no room for 1-dimensional goons in the NHL anymore. With Downey, Murray, Komisarek, Rivet and Souray, Montreal has all the fighting ability it needs.

Edited by kaos

Thank god....Ivanans was junk. Vandermeer wasn't much better.

There is no room for 1-dimensional goons in the NHL anymore. With Downey, Murray, Komisarek, Rivet and Souray, Montreal has all the fighting ability it needs.

Until we meet up with Ottawa. Who in the previously mentioned is going to take on Chara or McGratton? I hope your answer isn't Souray

Ithink both Vandermeer and Ivanans was signed in the first place just as a insurance.

Nobody knew how the new rules would affect the game and since both was the only pure goons it was at the time a cheap sollution.

Downey Begin can play hockey too.

I wish the both good luck and maybe Ivanans can get faster and earn a NHL spot elsewhere. Maybe that goes for Vandermeer too?

Until we meet up with Ottawa. Who in the previously mentioned is going to take on Chara or McGratton? I hope your answer isn't Souray

Name one other fight other than the Chara/Ivanans fight. THese guys played 8 times, and that was about the only fight there was. There is no need for a goon. Won't be long before McGratton is out of the NHL and Chara is probably leaving Ottawa on July 1st. So your argument doesn't hold much water

Yeah, and anyways Ivanans got owned hard in that fight.

Why do people always say this? Not that it matters but that 2 second fight was pretty much a tie before Chara threw that cheap shot after the refs grabbed them. Besides, it's about as close as I've ever seen someone get in beating Chara. (taking him off his feet)

Please keep Simpson though!! He was a solid Defenceman, i could see him playing a decent amount.

I remember vs. Boston when on of the Bruins tried to smoke a habs (maybe Garth Murray..?) and Simpson just dropped the gloves with the guy for that. What respect for his linemates right there.

Please keep Simpson though!! He was a solid Defenceman, i could see him playing a decent amount.

Solid defensman? He only dressed 6 times when he came over from Chicago and I don't think he played at all in the playoffs. Hes not a solid defensman and there is no real room on the roster for this guy as well. Save the money for an UFA.

Well, if Ivanans was that big he should have been able to fight.

Just for the record Ivanans can fight.....i saw him and Mcgratten duke it out preseason last year and it was a pretty even fight after a 2-3 min slug fest. Anyone who can last that long with mcgratten CAN fight its just too bad he couldnt play hockey as i had hopes we had a legit goon again :D I miss good old fights and hate seeing souray drop them with his million dollar arm....

Anyone have any news on our youngen Jimmy Bonneau? I hear he can fight.....can he play hockey though?

Chara is gone ... from Ottawa besides you forget the point it dont matter if you get beaten in a fight its taking Chara out of the game for 5 or more minutes that counts just need someone with enough balls to take him on no matter what the result... and we got the potato farmer's boy for that!

Anyone have any news on our youngen Jimmy Bonneau? I hear he can fight.....can he play hockey though?

Exactly we still have a quebec goon just in case ... they decided on local goon for the Dogs