Gainey To Go After Elias

KoZed

I would LOVE to have Elias on this team. He makes CH a team that would be incredibly fun to watch, and raises the level of everyone around him.

The fact that this is even mentioned makes me believe that BG has some kind of a package deal in the works. I see Zednik, Souray and possibly one of the youngsters (ouch) leaving for some defensive help and some cap relief.

Obviously in the perfect world we'd see Ribs and Bonk leaving too, but that's as likely as the impending publication of those tabloid pics of me holding hands with Paris Hilton. Hey, it could happen.............

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, don't forget that while our youngsters are progressing nicely, the window of opportunity for Kovalev (and even Koivu, who knows how much he has left after so much wear-and-tear over the years) is slowly but surely closing.

I am the biggest fan of building from within, but we absolutely need some veteran presence that will have us progressing TANGIBLY THIS YEAR. I'm talking about 2nd round of the playoffs at least, something to build on.

Hell, my personal/biased opinion is that with Elias on this team last year, the collapse against the Canes never happens.

I would LOVE to have Elias on this team. He makes CH a team that would be incredibly fun to watch, and raises the level of everyone around him.

The fact that this is even mentioned makes me believe that BG has some kind of a package deal in the works. I see Zednik, Souray and possibly one of the youngsters (ouch) leaving for some defensive help and some cap relief.

Obviously in the perfect world we'd see Ribs and Bonk leaving too, but that's as likely as the impending publication of those tabloid pics of me holding hands with Paris Hilton. Hey, it could happen.............

If we REALLY need some cap space and are willing to move Ribs but can't, we could always just opt to let him walk instead of re-signing him.

Also, don't forget that while our youngsters are progressing nicely, the window of opportunity for Kovalev (and even Koivu, who knows how much he has left after so much wear-and-tear over the years) is slowly but surely closing.

I am the biggest fan of building from within, but we absolutely need some veteran presence that will have us progressing TANGIBLY THIS YEAR. I'm talking about 2nd round of the playoffs at least, something to build on.

Hell, my personal/biased opinion is that with Elias on this team last year, the collapse against the Canes never happens.

I must agree. Just look at what his return to the Devils did. He's got some serious leadership/motivational skills and is an absolute gamebreaker.

Be forewarned: Jason Arnott is notoriously streaky. His offense may make him the best available second-line center, but despite his big size...he's not a big hitter, and knowing he has the ability to dominate makes it unbearably frustrating during the stretches when he doesn't.

Patrik Elias is far better than Kovalev. You'll notice his lower numbers of 61 and 57pts came when he was asked to play a defensive role under notoriously defensive coaches Kevin Constantine and Pat Burns way back in 2001 and 2002. By comparison Kovalev the past two years has had 65 and 45pts...Elias' past two seasons, he's had 48pts in 35 games, and 81pts the yr before with 38 goals.

Elias would be a sensational pickup. Gainey would do well to invest 6-7 million per year.

I'm sitting here, checking all the websites about the wheeling and dealing done by other teams... WHERE THE HELL IS GAINEY?! I WANT HABS NEWS!!! :D

I get the feeling guys like Arnott and Elias are going to wait for all the offers to pile up on the table in front of them before making their choice.

I get the feeling guys like Arnott and Elias are going to wait for all the offers to pile up on the table in front of them before making their choice.

You're probably correct... but that doesn't help MY IMPATIENCE PROBLEM!!! :D

this wait is making me go nuts.. i need another drink in da hopes i pass out n wake up with elias or arnott on my team

Interesting idea...

I'm sitting here, checking all the websites about the wheeling and dealing done by other teams... WHERE THE HELL IS GAINEY?! I WANT HABS NEWS!!! :D

Me too. If Gainey is going to make this happen I hope it is soon.

Me too,

I haven't heard anything about Arnott anywhere.

On sportsnet Kypreos had a brief informal go through of the day, he said that he thinks elias is done in NJ and that the RAgs and Hawks are the best shots and that he blieves Elias will end up in NYR.

I hope not, I hope Bob is getting something done here. I am completely unproductive and not getting my job applications done b/c all i'm doing is checking websites.

Spector just reported on his last update that Gainey had just made an offer to Elias.... now we play the waiting game. Also, Arnott turned down a 4 year 16 million dollar offer from the Blues.

:hlogo:

I think these guys would give us a great year

Elias Koivu Kovalev

Higgins Plekanec Ryder

Perezhogin Ribeiro Kastitsyn

Murray Bonk Begin

Downey

Markov Komisarek

Souray Boullion

Rivet Dandenault

Streit

Huet

Danis

get rid of zednik,sundstrom, and bulis who is already gone \

I didnt check to see if this would work financially, but i think group they could be a great combination. With possible additions such as Trades for zeds or other expendables, latendresse, arnott, or just plain gainey magic, this team would be a great contender.

I have sports channels on all day... i am hoping for gainey to bust out!!!

I think these guys would give us a great year

Elias Koivu Kovalev

Higgins Plekanec Ryder

Perezhogin Ribeiro Kastitsyn

Murray Bonk Begin

Downey

Markov Komisarek

Souray Boullion

Rivet Dandenault

Streit

Huet

Danis

get rid of zednik,sundstrom, and bulis who is already gone \

I didnt check to see if this would work financially, but i think group they could be a great combination. With possible additions such as Trades for zeds or other expendables, latendresse, arnott, or just plain gainey magic, this team would be a great contender.

I have sports channels on all day... i am hoping for gainey to bust out!!!

Neither the second nor third combinations are very reassuring. For God's sake, get at least one proven NHL player on that third line...(which would really be a fourth line, by my reckoning - but that makes Bonk your 2nd line C!)

Jesus.

I started this thread yesterday based on one little sentence in an RDS article. When I left for work this morning there was maybe 7 posts in it. I come back tonight and there's 48, 2 pages long...

So I read it and it goes from...

Gainey made an offer, things looks good... Gainey made an insanely big offer, 5 years, 7+ millions per season... Habs are in the race... Elias would look good with Kovalev... Its a fairy tale!

...then: BANG! "Say bye-bye to Elias, Devils re-signed him for 6/yr for 7 years."

Grrrrrr! I want my happy ending!!! :(