Only Shanahan Left That Is Interesting

That's it, I'm officially pist :angry2:

Looks like nobody wants to come here :angry2:

Thank you stupid fans that yell and complain for nothing and thank you arsh medias for making our town a place to avoid for UFAs.

Looks like we will have the exact same team as last year. With most teams improving, getting in the playoffs will be difficult.

I don't know if I can stand another full season of anemic offense and boring play from my Habs :?-

I was looking forward to signing that offensive help we needed and to next season, now, I don't care, I really do not want the same team as last year.

jeez already 3 different topics about Arnott.

Anyways- Who knows why he didn't sign with the Habs? You don't know for sure that Gainey even made him a competetive offer. It's the nature of the business. At this point, it looks like Gainey will choose to stand pat. For better or for worse...well, we'll see.

Like I said in the other topic, I remain hopeful that Montreal improves somehow. In case anyone forgot, the key asset we were supposed to gain from dumping Theo's ridiculous salary was cap room. Cap room that we were actually supposed to spend on getting better players!

I agree on all your points to be honest. Except one - players do want to come to Montreal. It's just that players like dollars and cents more.

There's still hope for trades, and it's not like last year's Habs team was horrid. With a strong full season of netminding, another year of experience for some of the youngsters, and a couple of other promising first rounders pressing for full time duty, I think it'll be a good season. Would I have liked a top tier UFA to join the Habs? Sure, but other than to have something to talk about that is Habs related, to me, it's not that big of a deal that Gainey and company have been unable to lure some players to Montreal. Let the Habs get stronger from within...they're getting close.

Thank you stupid fans that yell and complain for nothing and thank you arsh medias for making our town a place to avoid for UFAs.

Looks like we will have the exact same team as last year. With most teams improving, getting in the playoffs will be difficult.

I don't know if I can stand another full season of anemic offense and boring play from my Habs :?-

I was looking forward to signing that offensive help we needed and to next season, now, I don't care, I really do not want the same team as last year.

I know what your frustration is. Even the Hapless Leafs managed to sign 1 good defenceman.

In defence of Gainey, he NEVER made a huge signing or trade while in Dallas. He believes in 2nd tier players in trade and signing as free agents. It looks like the Habs are going to have to insert Plekanec at center for the second line. I actually am pumped for this as I really like his game.

If Gainey signs nobody, he will have an extra $4million next year when Bonk and Zednik are gone. Montreal is still rebuilding and maybe he thinks 1 more year of playing the rookies and sophmores now to gain experience.

Who knows.....?

No actually Gainey broke the bank giving UFA Pierre Turgeon a 7.5mil a year deal while running Dallas. He also signed Donald Audette to over 3mil a year (then dumped him here) and likewise for Phillippe Boucher.

I know what your frustration is. Even the Hapless Leafs managed to sign 1 good defenceman.

In defence of Gainey, he NEVER made a huge signing or trade while in Dallas. He believes in 2nd tier players in trade and signing as free agents. It looks like the Habs are going to have to insert Plekanec at center for the second line. I actually am pumped for this as I really like his game.

If Gainey signs nobody, he will have an extra $4million next year when Bonk and Zednik are gone. Montreal is still rebuilding and maybe he thinks 1 more year of playing the rookies and sophmores now to gain experience.

Who knows.....?

the extra money will be spent on the HABS D who will be UFA after this year.

*rofl* Oh my, those bandwagon fans - don't panic guys, it's just UFA season.

The only guy who really could have helped our offence significantly was Elias and he made it pretty clear that he only wanted to play for the Devils.

Gainey still has the option to trade for a better offencive player and maybe it's the better decision then to sign all those UFA's for too much money.

We still has David Aebischer that could be worth some.

Detroit are still looking for a goalie but what could they be willing to pay? I'll doubt the let Niclas Kronwall go...

Other teams that could be interested are the Blue Jackets, the Blues and Florida Panthers.

None of the teams are especially desperate for a goalie.

The Panthers, Blues and Blue Jackets are all looking for backups. Aebischer isn't content with being a backup. And he's an expensive one at 2.1 M.

Detroit sure, that is if they're sold on him as a playoff goalie. They've seen him extensively when he was with Colorado...

*rofl* Oh my, those bandwagon fans - don't panic guys, it's just UFA season.

The only guy who really could have helped our offence significantly was Elias and he made it pretty clear that he only wanted to play for the Devils.

Gainey still has the option to trade for a better offencive player and maybe it's the better decision then to sign all those UFA's for too much money.

I'm not a bandwagon fan, I'm a realistic fan. We bearly made the playoffs last year and there is no guarantee that we will make it next year.

We had the cap space and the UFA market is the perfect time to get something witout giving up young talent in return. Everybody adresses their needs with UFAs first and then you are stuck hoping that teams will take our Zedniks, Aebischers and etc. They don't need them.

Not the greatest startegy. I know that trades are still avilable, but it takes 2 to dance, its much harder to make a trade then to sign a UFA. A bunch of teams are near the cap and all those teams won't be interested in our high priced players we want to trade away, they will want our young guys, and those, I don't want to trade.

I will be really disapointed if we have the same team as last year.

No actually Gainey broke the bank giving UFA Pierre Turgeon a 7.5mil a year deal while running Dallas. He also signed Donald Audette to over 3mil a year (then dumped him here) and likewise for Phillippe Boucher.

Huh? Turgeon by then was just a useless player, that was a bad signing. Audette? You are kidding I hope. Boucher was an alright signing, nothing spectacular.

I am talking like a Pronger or superstar. I am not sure about Guerin (Spelling) as I think he was traded there then resigned. Although I never considered him like a Bertuzzi or a CaM Neely type player.

My point is he never traded for a diference maker and Turgeon and Audette are just a joke.

Well yeah they were a joke. But giving a player 7.5M qualifies as a huge signing, and you just said he never did make a huge signing.

You and I both know you are right but me not willing to accept your VICTORY :D

I will add a big HOWEVER though, Bob Gainey being stupid with his signings does not dignify Turgeon as a big signing....to me.

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

I've faith in this young team - we nearly beat the Canes and with a healthy squad, more experienced young players we can do some damage again.

Face it ... the Bruins only got better defencively - Chara is a giant who I also would love to see with our team (though not at this price). Savard is a pretty overrated player and without Hossa and Kovalchuk he won't put up those numbers again.

The Leafs - phh, they only got Kubina but they'll again struggle as they'll surely get some cap problems.

The Sabres lost 2 of their best d-men in McKee and Numminen (though he isn't yet signed by another team).

The Sens only lost Chara but they'll again the team to beat in our division.

So I don't see our team struggle this season, we've a fair chance to get into the PO's again and if we're there, everything can happen.

Though I'd be also pretty pissed if we've to keep Ribs as our 2nd line center but I'm sure Gainey will do a trade (if not now, then surely during the season) ... or Plekanec will step up (he isn't the big physical player but he's already a strong two-way center who's surely getting better next season again).

You and I both know you are right but me not willing to accept your VICTORY :D

I will add a big HOWEVER though, Bob Gainey being stupid with his signings does not dignify Turgeon as a big signing....to me.

Excuse me guys...Ed Belfour? Brett Hull? Joe Nieuwendyk?

How are they not big guns?

There's still the possibility of Bob signing lower profile, useful players - e.g., Danny Markhov, Samsonov, etc. - that will come more cheaply and likely help us. And trades shouldn't be ruled out of court. So I wouldn't go rending my garment just yet. I think that, with all the young talent in the Habs' system, Bob would LIKE to sign a big name but not to destructive long-term deals; and that he's perfectly comfortable adding smaller names to supplement a developing roster.

Too bad about Kubina, though.

Samsonov I think would be a lazy and inconsistent player, one of whose ilk we have too many to begin with. Super skilled though.

I'd view Danny Markov as a much better fit, but to sign a defenseman Gainey would have to move one first to make room.

I'd view Danny Markov as a much better fit, but to sign a defenseman Gainey would have to move one first to make room.

If Markov is an upgrade, then acquire him first and worry about the other guys later.

For the record, I think he could be very useful in a 4th-5th D-man role and I'm surprised his name hasn't come up much. Perhaps he struggled in the new NHL - ?

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Anyways, as relating to the topic title...well it looks like Brendan Shanahan won't be a free agent for long.

According to several sources, the Blues are making a strong pitch for Shanahan and Anson Carter. Same sources indicate Doug Weight's signed on with Stl at 2 yrs, 3.5M per.

Im pissed also.... because i like change and getting new players because its exciting. But what I find funny about all this is how we were complaining that guys like Rivet and Souray were overpaid for their skill but now it seems like they are bargain players. Im also pissed though because I thought that at the deadline Gainey cleared up all that space to do something big... he didnt. :( .................Now he has a chance to do something bigger.... but hes not :( ............. but oh well... as long as Plex is on the team come next fall Im a happy man. :hlogo:

Well, you have to look at whether it would have made sense for Bob to sign the FAs to the kind of contracts they ended up getting. Arnott is too long-term for my liking. I would have made the Elias deal, in the end, but Elias wanted to stay in Jersey. Nothing Bob can ultimately do about that.

Why didn't the Habs consider Jovanovski? I never heard any rumours to that effect.

I've never really heard much about Montreal offering to Elias aside from RDS.

I did see on several sites that the Hawks offered 7.5M per year to Elias but obviously he decided to accept less for a no-trade clause and a 7yr deal.

Im pissed also.... because i like change and getting new players because its exciting. But what I find funny about all this is how we were complaining that guys like Rivet and Souray were overpaid for their skill but now it seems like they are bargain players. Im also pissed though because I thought that at the deadline Gainey cleared up all that space to do something big... he didnt. :( .................Now he has a chance to do something bigger.... but hes not :( ............. but oh well... as long as Plex is on the team come next fall Im a happy man. :hlogo:

I was with hope Montreal would at least try to get one veteran (Shanahan would be nice) to assist the young squad. It is tough to ask the younger team members to be the leaders in a playoff run. All the smoke and mirrors of why Gainey traded Theo was mostly to correct a HUGE mistake he made. It had nothing to do with salary cap flexability.

If nothing gets done (Shanahan not going to the Habs) then I hope he does not sign a useless player like LEafs did with Gill. That would be pathetic as Habs fans are much smarter than the Dallas Stars fans. Much smarter.....