Only Shanahan Left That Is Interesting

What about Samsonov, why doesn't anyone want him. I say he's and exceptional player and would be good with kovalev on the left since were losing Bulis. I think it would be a great upgrade!

What about Samsonov, why doesn't anyone want him. I say he's and exceptional player and would be good with kovalev on the left since were losing Bulis. I think it would be a great upgrade!

Right now either Samsonov is asking for too much money, or is just shopping around for the best deal. Thats why he hasn't signed

Edited by kaos

Why isn't Gainey making any moves? Because right now his goal is NOT to screw us up. With all the youth we have in our system and the mix of vets and rookies/sophomores on our team, we can do nothing and we will eventually become a contender. Our core is great right now. Now, since everything is right, Gainey's #1 priority shouldn't be to make us progress, but more to make us not regress. Why offer big bucks and a 5 year deal to a 31 year old? Or Elias making $6M in his late 30s. These are high-risk moves and our team is in a position where we do not need to take risks. Thank you, Gainey, for playing it safe.

I'm betting lots of fans are pissed, mostly because lots of fans got their hopes up throwing lots of names around as if UFA season was a trip at the grocery store.

I'll make a weird analogy, but signing UFAs is like playing the lottery. You dont have the last word: the player and agents does. So basically, its hit or miss and its not really in your hands.

Here's another analogy: building a Cup contender is like building a retirement fund. How do you build a retirement fund? With savings, smart long-terms investments and a few quick cash-ins. Not by playing the lottery.

Sure, a couple of UFAs out there might have helped. But how many times did UFAs turned an average team into a Cup contender? Did Khabibulin and Aucoin helped much in Chicago? Did all the guys Pittsburgh signed last summer helped them much? Did Lapointe helped Boston much? And how about the Rags collection of UFA signings before that?

UFAs are just sprinkles on a cupcake. Not worth being pissed about.

I'm betting lots of fans are pissed, mostly because lots of fans got their hopes up throwing lots of names around as if UFA season was a trip at the grocery store.

I'll make a weird analogy, but signing UFAs is like playing the lottery. You dont have the last word: the player and agents does. So basically, its hit or miss and its not really in your hands.

Here's another analogy: building a Cup contender is like building a retirement fund. How do you build a retirement fund? With savings, smart long-terms investments and a few quick cash-ins. Not by playing the lottery.

Sure, a couple of UFAs out there might have helped. But how many times did UFAs turned an average team into a Cup contender? Did Khabibulin and Aucoin helped much in Chicago? Did all the guys Pittsburgh signed last summer helped them much? Did Lapointe helped Boston much? And how about the Rags collection of UFA signings before that?

UFAs are just sprinkles on a cupcake. Not worth being pissed about.

Yeah, no kidding. If you look at last offseason, the signings that paid off the most was Carolina picking up Stillman and Whitney. And at the time, most people just scoffed and said they wouldn't help the Canes at all.

And where did Kariya and Selanne get my Avs? Nowhere. I blame that on Granato and Pronger though.

Yeah, no kidding. If you look at last offseason, the signings that paid off the most was Carolina picking up Stillman and Whitney. And at the time, most people just scoffed and said they wouldn't help the Canes at all.

Yeah, I thought about that... but on another hand, the Conn-Smythe winner was a guy they drafted; their top offensive player was a guy they drafted; and almost half the roster was guys who were there just 4 years ago when that same team went to the SCF. That weights much more in the balance than Stillman and Whitney IMO.

Well I'm sure they would've had success last season but without Stillman, I don't know if they would've made it to the SCF especially when Staal hit that slump in the ECF. Him and Brindamour really pulled that team along when Staal was sputtering.

Why isn't Gainey making any moves? Because right now his goal is NOT to screw us up. With all the youth we have in our system and the mix of vets and rookies/sophomores on our team, we can do nothing and we will eventually become a contender. Our core is great right now. Now, since everything is right, Gainey's #1 priority shouldn't be to make us progress, but more to make us not regress. Why offer big bucks and a 5 year deal to a 31 year old? Or Elias making $6M in his late 30s. These are high-risk moves and our team is in a position where we do not need to take risks. Thank you, Gainey, for playing it safe.

Adding either a consistant goal scorer or a top 4 defenceman in no way would mess up Montreal. If you are talking about trades then yes you are 100% correct. Montreal cannot afford to give up too much youth unless it is for a young player back. I like your post, however Montreal as it stands still has the same team that squeeked into the last playoff spot.

I think Montreal will be a bit better (Injuries and inconsistant play hurt them last year) as the young guys now have more experience. A guy that can score goals like Shanahan would be a good fit, but I would want to see Plekanec at center for the second line. A full year commitment for Plekanec for the second line, not bouncing around sitting on the bench or in the press box.

I was a little pissed to see Arnot signed for not that big of a contract. My impression is that Gainey is more concerned with trading our "garbage" than he is in adding more players to our roster.

Zednik and Aeibischer need to be traded (Ribs too please) and they should give a decent return. Maybe not a superstar in return but a good player.

Being patient is tough.

Trading "garbage" isnt that easy. First off there's got to be someone interested for them somewhere; and second of all they've got to offer something worthwhile in return.

If Gainey is shopping Zed or Ribs and all he's offered in return are crap like a 4th-rounder in 2009 or fringe NHLer; than by all Gods I hope he never pulls the trigger.

The point is to improve. Not just trade for the sake of trading. I still prefer our "garbage" to a heap of trash available out there.

In a way I'm disappointed in the lack of movement. But why make a trade or sign a UFA for the sake of it?

Look at Marc Savards outragous contract in Boston. Look at Kubina.

Gainey at least didn't get a heavy long term contract with possible questionable returns. This is probably because the Habs are being built with such a timeline that Gainey wants short term (2 years) contracts to get the "Arnott''s" of the universe.

Oh well.

Our day will come. Just not when we "expect" it :hlogo:

:angry2:

Doh, that sux0rs.

Just read today that Shanahan turned down richer offers from the Wings, and guess who? The Habs. :rolleyes:

Well, Bob tried. :D

Damn shame too, that would have been exactly what the Habs need, more Canadians. :P

No team has ever won the Cup without having a solid core of Canadians. IMO, thats what the Habs problem is now, too many Euro's who dont have the toughness and heart to do what it takes to win the Cup.