I Would Like Bob To Look At...

habsfan88

Apperantly Shanahan will decide today where he will play next season.

His agent ( Rick Curran) says the list is at 4 teams and they are all offering 2-3 year contracts for roughly the same money.

Toronto, Boston, Detroit, and Montreal are the choices.

Edited by Habitforming

Apperantly Shanahan will decide today where he will play next season.

His agent ( Rick Curran) says the list is at 4 teams and they are all offering 2-3 year contracts for roughly the same money.

Toronto, Boston, Detroit, and Montreal are the choices.

And ya know we're going to ask where you heard this!

Montreal should and will stand pat with their current roster. Perezhogin, Higgins, Kostitsyn and Plekanec should and will have the first shot at plugging the gaps in the lineup. There is no need to go out and get a pricey free agent just for the sake of getting a pricey free agent. The youngsters played well last year improving as the season went on, and will no doubt continue to get better with an entire NHL season with playoffs under their belt.

IHabs only need 2 holes to fill: LW and depth checking W. For something else, Gainey will have to make a trade first.

What? LW and depth checking? If anything these are the strongest parts of the Canadien's roster.

Left Wingers include Higgins, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Zednik, Murray, and even Plekanec and Ribeiro have spent time on the wing.

As for checking line forwards Begin, Bonk, Murray, Downey, Lapierre and even Jonathan Ferland.

These two area's don't need to to be addressed

And as for Mike Peca, this guy can't play on my Montreal Canadiens team. He is known as being a quitter, since he likes to hold out for more money, which he has done one several clubs, Buffalo and Vancouver come to mind. As well he seems to be somewhat like Mr. Pronger right now and doesn't want to go back to Edmonton because it doesn't suit him.

No thanks

What? LW and depth checking? If anything these are the strongest parts of the Canadien's roster.

Left Wingers include Higgins, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Zednik, Murray, and even Plekanec and Ribeiro have spent time on the wing.

As for checking line forwards Begin, Bonk, Murray, Downey, Lapierre and even Jonathan Ferland.

These two area's don't need to to be addressed

Thanks for naming all the guys that spent some time on the LW past seasons. You could have also thrown in Bulis. All this just serves to prove that the Habs have had the hardest time trying to have a good LW up on the scoring lines. They even had to move a natural center to LW (Higgins) because they were running out of options. Ribs and Kovalev have both complained about the lack of regular LW on their line because none of the guys that played with them was consistent enough to keep up with them for more than a few games. We can't go into next season with basically 3 green guys and 1 Begin on the LW. If you move Zednik to the LW, you basically find yourself with 2 holes on the RW (3rd and 4th lines).

So, as I said, a top LW should be an Habs priority.

Speaking of that RW and of checking-line forwards, I've already gave Lapierre and Ferland's name in other posts; but neither of them is a shoe-in and Downey isn't talented or useful enough to deserve to play 82 games. That plus the fact that we've lost two PK/defensive depth guys in Bulis and Sundstrom; and the fact that nobody on the RW (Kovalev, Ryder and Zednik) are known for their defensive work points to a need for some added depth defensive/checking winger. Right now we got maybe 4 good checking forwards: Begin, Bonk, Murray and Plekanec. The latter two are still green and Plekanec is more of a good 2-way center than a checking player per se. Downey is more a muscle/pest guy than a reliable defensive/checking player. All that is very thin.

So, as I said, depth RW should be an area of concern for the Habs.

Man I'm got dawm fed up of people refering to Higgins as a fuc..ing center. The guy was moved to wing in is 1st season in the AHL because the Habs saw him more as a winger, not a center. He as the grit and skills to go along the boards, like a true winger. All of this when we had no depth and no prospects at center, which proves that they did not see him as a center.

STOP saying the guy is a center, he's NOT. He asn't been in years. He would probably feel out of position at center.

Elias played as a center before, but everybody refers to him as a winger, not a center, SAME for Higgins. When Koivu went down last year (season and playoffs) and we had nobody to fill in is place, did they move Higgins to center...NO.

Sorry, I had to get that one off my chest.

We only need a top LW for a year probably (2 top), Shanahan is perfect. We have Higgins, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn and Latendresse. 2 of them will pan out to be top LW for our top 2 lines this year or next year. I'm willing to give the young guys a chance. We have depth at LW for the future, none at top 2 lines center.

As for PK, we have Koivu, Bonk, Begin, Plek, Murray and Higgins who can play there, no need for additional PK players. Bulis and Sundstrom were plugs to fill the roster, be-bye is the key word for them.

Like I said, replacing Ribs should be our main concern for next year. We are more then adequate at all other positions.

And ya know we're going to ask where you heard this!

It was actually on a local radio station 93.1

But just like all other reports he will likely sign with a team who was never mentioned as interested like Arnott did.

Just looking at who is still unsigned and came across Eric Daze. I know he was out all season with back problems. Does anyone know his condition now? He is a goal scoring LW, or was.....

Shanahan would be cool, always loved his game.

Just looking at who is still unsigned and came across Eric Daze. I know he was out all season with back problems. Does anyone know his condition now? He is a goal scoring LW, or was.....

Shanahan would be cool, always loved his game.

It's funny you mention Daze. I actually had a dream last night that someone signed him, but it wasn't Montreal. Somone like Toronto did, I think. I'm a bit sketchy on the "realities" of the dream.

A wishful UFA thought: Eric Daze, the 6'6 235lb. power forward, hometown of Montreal, Quebec. Never has scored less than 20 goals in any season with the exception of a 19 game season in 03/04. 4 30 goal+ seasons.

Reality check: "Eric Daze may never play again because of his ongoing back injuries, according to the Chicago Sun-Times."

"Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon said in a radio interview a few weeks ago the Daze's career is over and at this point he'll be lucky if he can manage his pain for the rest of his life."

I had posted that in another thread...A shame really, Daze would have been such a perfect fit in Montreal. Could have been a great hometown hero for the Habs.

Edited by smon

Ouch, sucks for Daze... if it's that serious, good luck to him.

Apparently Shanahan is asking for $4M a year (ouch).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10460&hubname=

Seriously, that's a number that may have been made public only by his agent to try and drive the price up with so many teams interested in his services.

If Montreal gets him, it won't be for more than $4.5M, as I figure Gainey won't give him more than Koivu/Kovalev.

If someone signs Shanahan for $5M I'll be glad Montreal didn't get him, as that cap space would be better used on someone come the deadline to bolster the line-up for the playoffs.

Eklund could be pulling these numbers out of his you know what....but here's what he claims:

"Look for Montreal to jump into the Brendan Shanahan sweeps today....He is reportedly asking around 5.2 per, and that is getting tough for Boston given their current position"

Somehow I don't imagine Gainey would go into the 5 mil range. And I highly doubt that Shanahan will get something in that range.

Oh by the way, excuse the hearsay for a moment...

I went to the HF forums to see what they're saying about signing Shanahan. And I read something very interesting. You see, Shanahan was teammates with Craig Janney (anyone remember him!) with St Louis back in the 90's...anyways Janney eventually requested a trade.

But claims were made that Shanahan had fooled around with Janney's wife, and he wanted a trade because of that..Believe that or not; but in 1998 (and this is absolutely true) Shanahan married her...well obviously she was Janney's ex wife at the time.

A bit of hockey trivia there :P

Thanks for naming all the guys that spent some time on the LW past seasons. You could have also thrown in Bulis. All this just serves to prove that the Habs have had the hardest time trying to have a good LW up on the scoring lines. They even had to move a natural center to LW (Higgins) because they were running out of options. Ribs and Kovalev have both complained about the lack of regular LW on their line because none of the guys that played with them was consistent enough to keep up with them for more than a few games. We can't go into next season with basically 3 green guys and 1 Begin on the LW. If you move Zednik to the LW, you basically find yourself with 2 holes on the RW (3rd and 4th lines).

So, as I said, a top LW should be an Habs priority.

Speaking of that RW and of checking-line forwards, I've already gave Lapierre and Ferland's name in other posts; but neither of them is a shoe-in and Downey isn't talented or useful enough to deserve to play 82 games. That plus the fact that we've lost two PK/defensive depth guys in Bulis and Sundstrom; and the fact that nobody on the RW (Kovalev, Ryder and Zednik) are known for their defensive work points to a need for some added depth defensive/checking winger. Right now we got maybe 4 good checking forwards: Begin, Bonk, Murray and Plekanec. The latter two are still green and Plekanec is more of a good 2-way center than a checking player per se. Downey is more a muscle/pest guy than a reliable defensive/checking player. All that is very thin.

So, as I said, depth RW should be an area of concern for the Habs.

Considerign Bulis and Sundstrom won't be back why would you even bring their names up?

Why are you a rookie hater? What have Perezhogin, Higgins, Kostitsyn and Plekanec done to you? Have they not developed fast enough for your liking? Why would you stunt their growth or force them out of Montreal by signing an overage, overpaid guy like Shanahan who'll never repeat what he did in Detroit because he doesn't have a Datsyuk or Zetterberg to play with in Montreal?

Why would you want to sign a cronically injuried 50 point guy in Sergei Samsonov who's probably going to cost $4.5 to $5 Million to sign?

No thanks, Montreal does not need help and I'm certainly glad your not the GM....this team would be massively over the cap and you'd probably have traded away our youth for some checking line forwards.

Gainey will stick with what he has and see how the young guys respond. I stick with my Slogan.....NO FREE AGENT SIGNINGS IN THE SUMMER OF '06

^&%!@ those UFA... Shanny no more than 4M and forget the woodPEkA I say stand pat... and bring in the young guns! anyone know where to get a realistic Salary sum that the Habs would have if MTL does stay pat? the TSN salary description is incomplete

Considerign Bulis and Sundstrom won't be back why would you even bring their names up?

Why are you a rookie hater? What have Perezhogin, Higgins, Kostitsyn and Plekanec done to you? Have they not developed fast enough for your liking? Why would you stunt their growth or force them out of Montreal by signing an overage, overpaid guy like Shanahan who'll never repeat what he did in Detroit because he doesn't have a Datsyuk or Zetterberg to play with in Montreal?

Why would you want to sign a cronically injuried 50 point guy in Sergei Samsonov who's probably going to cost $4.5 to $5 Million to sign?

No thanks, Montreal does not need help and I'm certainly glad your not the GM....this team would be massively over the cap and you'd probably have traded away our youth for some checking line forwards.

Gainey will stick with what he has and see how the young guys respond. I stick with my Slogan.....NO FREE AGENT SIGNINGS IN THE SUMMER OF '06

looks like you may be a head in your thinking,

though I do believe the development of our rookies would go a longer way with the addition of Shanahan in the line up, I'm not saying to go ahead and sign very Sergei, and Harry out there that is available, but Shanny would be able to kick Kovy in the a** those 2 games out of 3 he doesn't come to play, releive some of the leadership role from Saku something Rivet has not been able to do, and last but not least a class player as Brendan does deserve to finish his playing dayz with the most classy organization of all sports history with the bestest fans to ever have cheered for a team.

On that note more then 4.5 mil is just too much, but if he truelly calls himself a hockey player maybe he should try playing for the REAL HOCKEY TOWN for a change.