Aebischer's Potential Destinations?

Trizzak

Just a collaborative effort from Habsworld members here...

Which teams could use Aebischer's service? They should either be looking for an upgrade or currently have a goaltending question mark.

The obvious one: Detroit. Legace is as good as gone, Osgood is a backup. Possible trade?

Maybe even St Louis? Is Sanford ready for full time duties?

What do you guys think?

Florida reportedly interested in Belfour as well.

Detroit's been linked furiously to Martin Biron but Sportsnet claims if Belfour passes a physical he's signed there...St. Louis is pleased with Curtis Sanford and Jason Bacachsihua are 1/2.

The destinations are limited.

Dominik Hasek may get interest from Florida or StL though. Reportedly asking for a 1yr, 500,000 contract

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say... Montreal.

Why? Just incase. Plus, if Huet returns next season the same goalie he was when he finished last season, Montreal can sit back and wait for a team to need a goalie fix (should a team lose their starter due to injury).

Otherwise, Florida does seem like the team who'll want Aebischer, but I doubt Keenan will pay the price Gainey may expect in return. I really don't expect Bob Gainey to dump Aebischer for (low) picks when he'd be much more useful backing up Huet.

Although I'm saying we'll keep Aebischer, I'm also a big Yann Danis fan, so personally I'd rather have Danis getting some serious NHL experience.

I just don't see any teams really interested to the point of giving us something good in return. As much as I wanted Aebi to go, we will get a better return if we wait until the season when a goalie gets seriously injured or fails to do the job.

I'm willing to give him up for not much only to free cap space if we need to free up cap space to sign Shanahan, and only Shanahan.

Sanford is not known, especially to us in the east, but he is a very good goalie. St-Louis is not lloking for a goalie.

Detroit seems to go the Belfour or Hasek way :lol:

As for Florida, maybe Keenan doesn't want to go with Auld, and that's a maybe, but he won't give up much for a goalie since he doesn't have to, Auld is a decent goalie. Maybe if he chokes, then BG will be in a position to get a good player in return.

Don't forget that Biron is also available. Plus the 2 options in Anaheim and San Jose.

Looks like a tandem of Huet and Aebi to start the season. In 1 way it's good, it will force Huet to be sharp and play well. A little pressure and competition never hurts.

Why do we have to trade Abey NOW? Why not wait until the season starts rolling and Huet shows he's the real deal. And also for other teams' goalies to start either collapsing or getting hurt. Columbus has bet the rent on this oft-injured Leclaire kid - watch for them to potentially become interested. The point is, the market might pick up once things start happening.

Why do we have to trade Abey NOW? Why not wait until the season starts rolling and Huet shows he's the real deal. And also for other teams' goalies to start either collapsing or getting hurt. Columbus has bet the rent on this oft-injured Leclaire kid - watch for them to potentially become interested. The point is, the market might pick up once things start happening.

Well put. I think there are a lot of teams (including the ones you all have mentioned here) that are one sprained knee or broken bone away from serious goaltending issues. Nobosy should be looking at Belfour seriously, he's done. Aebischer could provide a really great bit of trade bait when the trade deadline comes around. Another 6 months out of the NHL won't kill Danis I don't think, and Huet is fine for now.

well since cloutier as been traded for a 2nd rounder to LA, I don't gainey getting more than this..wich would be suitable for me.

the only team I really see in lack of a goalie is florida..I don't know if both teams could work something out.

I'm day-dreaming but If we could fix something in order to get a boumeester or olesz

Someone may (will undoubtedly) correct me if I am wrong but I believe the problem with keeping Aebischer until the season starts is that it may cost us Danis. I think if we try to send him to the minors we risk losing him via waivers. This probably means we have to carry 3 goalies. This is a problem if some of our prospects make the team in September especially if we sign a free agent. Thus keeping Aebischer until some future time when goalies are in demand may be stifling one of our prospects. It also means 2 million is tied up we might want to spend on a FA.

Edited by Peter Puck

Why? Just incase. Plus, if Huet returns next season the same goalie he was when he finished last season, Montreal can sit back and wait for a team to need a goalie fix (should a team lose their starter due to injury).

That's quite a good one, and i think that then we can get much more out of him. A great deal, something good in return.

Otherwise if he stays i'm good with that also!

Aebischer is not going anywhere anytime soon. No team is in need of a goalie right now, so Montreal might as well just hold on to him and run with two goalies for now. Maybe sometime during the season a team will need a goalie and a trade can be made then.

FOr now he's pretty cheap insurance at $2.1 Million to have around

Aebischer is not going anywhere anytime soon. No team is in need of a goalie right now, so Montreal might as well just hold on to him and run with two goalies for now. Maybe sometime during the season a team will need a goalie and a trade can be made then.

FOr now he's pretty cheap insurance at $2.1 Million to have around

I agree... And Aebi's value will increase near the trade deadline...

Guest Biff Malibu
No team is in need of a goalie right now

Florida, Columbus and Detroit don't have solid starters yet, although Belfour is rumoured to become the next Wing and Florida and Columbus could go with Auld and Leclaire respectively.

St.Louis needs a goalie pretty bad but who would/did they offer for Abby?

They have Sanford and they are very pleased with him. St-Louis is not looking for a goalie, far from it.

We in the east don't know Sanford very well, but he is a very good goalie. Aebi would not be an upgrade for them.

There are no teams looking for a goalie.

They have Sanford and they are very pleased with him. St-Louis is not looking for a goalie, far from it.

We in the east don't know Sanford very well, but he is a very good goalie. Aebi would not be an upgrade for them.

The mighty has spoken!

Quick call Gainey and let him know he is on vacation until training camp opens. :wacko:

Sanford? are you kiddding?

"we in the east...." speak for yourself I know who he is and what he is capable of.

St.Louis is looking for a goalie

The mighty has spoken!

Quick call Gainey and let him know he is on vacation until training camp opens. :wacko:

Sanford? are you kiddding?

"we in the east...." speak for yourself I know who he is and what he is capable of.

St.Louis is looking for a goalie

The clueless as spoken !!! Why be an arrogant prick, I didn't say anything insulting. What? as soon as somebody says opposite of what you said you feel insulted? Mr. is sensitive? Mr. as feelings?

You apparently don't know Sanford for saying such stupidities.

St-Louis is not looking for a goalie (every fuc...ng rumor says so and none are sending a goalie to ST-Louis). Can't wait to see how a fool you will look when they start the season with Sanford and Bacashihua.

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

Hey now! Let's stop the "anger train", I want to get off.

Detroit and Florida seem to be the most distinct of possibilities due to the lack of goaltending, but what about teams looking to upgrade?

LA no longer, though I doubt they would have traded with Gainey anyway.

Anybody else? No one?

He's not going anywhere.

Most teams are happy with the goaltending they've got...teams looking for an upgrade are Detroit and Florida.

Keep in mind that Florida already has Alex Auld though; and Aebischer has maintained in interviews that wherever he plays, he won't accept being a backup.

Columbus just got their backup goalie for Leclaire in Ty Conklin.

And if Montreal wants more than a pick for Aebischer; Detroit can always ship out a veteran salary like Robert Lang to Buffalo for Biron instead; or other similar salaries out to San Jose for Nabokov, etc.

Detroit is going to sign Eddie Belfour anyhow.

St Louis has announced that they are confident with Curtis Sanford in net. They also have young Jason Bacashihua as back-up and great prospect Marek Schwarz down the pipeline. They don't need Aebischer.

I'm confident that Auld can be a starter but it seems they only have 1 goalie (McLennan signed with Calgary) so maybe they will want Aebi.

Guest Biff Malibu

That's a pretty bold statement. You must be some kind of insider.

Andy Strickland on HockeyBuzz just wrote that St.Louis is very interested in Abby to back up Sanford. That's the part I don't understand. As far as I'm concerned, Aebischer is a much better goalie than Curtis Sanford. Anyways, I don't see who Bob could be interested in. Maybe prospects or picks...