Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Mans Chest

The-Habby2919

Well.... i just got back from watching part two of Pirates and I must say that while it was a bit long and some parts were cartoony..... IT WAS GREAT!!! At least to me... while the worst thing I can say is that towards the end one of the biggest CGI effects looked really 2D. It was like the actors looking at a projected screen.... anyways... yeah I rambling on about this but I think its one of the better movies Ive seen in a while and it only makes me wish that the 3rd one was coming out next friday instead of next year!!

:hlogo:

Well.... i just got back from watching part two of Pirates and I must say that while it was a bit long and some parts were cartoony..... IT WAS GREAT!!! At least to me... while the worst thing I can say is that towards the end one of the biggest CGI effects looked really 2D. It was like the actors looking at a projected screen.... anyways... yeah I rambling on about this but I think its one of the better movies Ive seen in a while and it only makes me wish that the 3rd one was coming out next friday instead of next year!!

:hlogo:

Haven't seen it yet but I expect that it would certainly be cartoony - likely lots of fun to watch uncritically.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I've yet to see the sequel yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to it. On a side note, I found a cool video on MSN that talks about Jack Sparrow from the perspective of various cast and crew members. By the way, Keira seems to have a thing for boys in eyeliner! :D

Jack Sparrow Interview

The Pirates of the Caribbean movies seem to be comparable to The Matrix movies.

The first one stands alone, 2 and 3 need each other to be complete.

Dead Mans Chest was enjoyable, but I absolutly hate open endings to films.

By the way, Keira seems to have a thing for boys in eyeliner! :D

I'll actually just pretend she likes the long haired, scruffy sort instead.

I was kinda disappointed in the movie. I tried as hard as could to not have huge expectations for it, but I think I failed.

I think the plot was overly complicated. I had to keep reminding myself about who wanted what and why they wanted it. Did the whole incident on the native island have anything to do with the movie or was it just there to be funny? Did the mark on Jack's hand reappear because of a subconscious decision he made or because the 3 days was up? Just a lot of little things like that that bugged me throughout the movie.

I loved the ending, though it scares me. If Jack is inside the beast, that probably means his role isn't going to be very big in the 3rd installment. Jack Sparrow IS Pirates of the Carribean. A movie with only a minor role can't bode well in my opinion. A good cliffhanger, though with TV, you only have to wait 3-4 months, not 9.

Very enjoyable movie, but not as kid friendly as the first and a bit complicated for kids, at least in my opinion. The last one was PG-13 also, but it was still fine for kids. This one, I'm not sure if I'd take a 10 or 11 year old, which is how old my cousin is who is in town for the week.

I loved the ending, though it scares me. If Jack is inside the beast, that probably means his role isn't going to be very big in the 3rd installment. A good cliffhanger, though with TV, you only have to wait 3-4 months, not 9.

I can't say that's too surprising, as Depp isn't keen on sequels and I believe he was reluctant to come back for the second one, let alone the third.

Very enjoyable movie, but not as kid friendly as the first and a bit complicated for kids, at least in my opinion. The last one was PG-13 also, but it was still fine for kids. This one, I'm not sure if I'd take a 10 or 11 year old, which is how old my cousin is who is in town for the week.

At three different times I saw parents walk out with their children.

Seriously, that Kraken thing is not meant for children.

I wanna see it even though I just fuond out the ending.

@the guy who made who titled the thread:

NEVER say "SPOILER WARNING." You think you're helping but it actually attracts people like me into it to try to "accidentally" find stuff out. I'm one of the people who "accidentally" found out that the ending to Harry Potter 6 before reading the book. :P

At three different times I saw parents walk out with their children.

Seriously, that Kraken thing is not meant for children.

I turned away my myself when the birds were pecking at the dead bodies.

NEVER say "SPOILER WARNING." You think you're helping but it actually attracts people like me into it to try to "accidentally" find stuff out. I'm one of the people who "accidentally" found out that the ending to Harry Potter 6 before reading the book. :P

I changed the title to include the spoiler warning. If we don't put it, people read things by accident. If the spoiler warning is there, only people with weak self-control will go looking for what happens :lol:

I absolutely loved it. The movie is suppose to make you laugh, I don't think you're suppose to take it too seriously, I mean come on its a ride at disney world. The movie franchise has become more of a fantasy world which is fine by me instead of real carribean. But I liked the fact that they are using differnt cultures of that area. Like for instance the voodo lady was obviously haitian, I thought that was neat. I got goose bumps when Rush came down the steps though. Its a great summer movie.

I changed the title to include the spoiler warning. If we don't put it, people read things by accident. If the spoiler warning is there, only people with weak self-control will go looking for what happens :lol:

<_<

The movie is suppose to make you laugh, I don't think you're suppose to take it too seriously, I mean come on its a ride at disney world.

I laughed quite a few times, but the comedy didn't seem as natural as in the first movie. From what I've read, Johnny Depp really took control of Jack Sparrow in the first movie and a lot of the comedy was created by Depp. Now that the Jack Sparrow character has been better defined, the writers took control of the comedy rather than Depp himself.

The whole thing on the native island was funny, it just kind of bothers me that it didn't have anything to do with the rest of the movie.

Yeah I heard about that too. Depp was told to really ham it up for this film and the next. It was still really really funny though. But Depps character has become a suave cool character in popular culture so it made me smile seeing him act like that. You end up laughing at his mannerisms, which is physical comedy at its finest.

You end up laughing at his mannerisms, which is physical comedy at its finest.

For sure, he is really why the first movie was so enjoyable. It was a good movie and all, but Depp's performance was incredible. I've never really liked Johnny Depp, but he was AWESOME in the role of Captain Jack. He deserved the Academy Award for Pirates.

The movie was wayyyy too long. I completely lost patience with it by the end and despite it having it's good parts i was bored by the end.

Im not usually one to complain about a movie being too long, but this one should definitely have been cut down by about 30-40 minutes.

Im not usually one to complain about a movie being too long, but this one should definitely have been cut down by about 30-40 minutes.

i.e. The whole thing on the native island that while very funny, had nothing to do with the rest of the movie. Maybe a 10 minute scene on the island would have made a great extra for the DVD, but it seemed out of place with the rest of the movie.

I agree completely. the scene on the island when the three men fight is wayyyyyyyy too long..cut 30 mins and you have a good movie..now it's just a so-so movie

I really expected to much out of this movie. The krakken thing was stupid, once the 3rd movie comes out ill never think about it again like the stupid ending to the lord of the rings with the ghost things.. ya that kind of stupid.

I liked the chest part on the island and I wouldnt have shortened that. My main reason for disliking king kong other than the length was the large role of native people. If I spend $18 to see a movie I do not want to see things protruding through your skin! They definetly could have shorted the 1st island scene with all the natives.

My beef with the fishy stuff. I liked it so much better when they were all skeletons.. now that was cool cg and there was a reason for them being that way. Now all of a sudden there all evolved super fish creatures that cant die for no reason. How stupid and disapointing.. honestly there was no warning about how bad that was going to be.

So he survived the Krakken or hes going to somehow be revived? I dunno but hopefully the 3rd movie has a bigger role for depp than it appears.

Wow, well it was a good movie, just the 1st is always better I find.

This one started a bit confusing and such, but then eventually caught itself up. It seemed a bit long at the beginning as well.

It was funny, but as some have mentioned, it wasn't as funny or natural, almost forced.

All in all, I hope the 3rd movie is better. This one wasn't terrible, it's pretty much still a must-see, but mostly just a lot of hype leading up to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've finally seen this movie and, well... I don't want to say it sucked but... compared to the first one it kind of did. The problem with this movie was that it had more crappy acting frmo Orlando Bloom than it had of Jack Sparrow, the character that makes the franchise worth watching. The reason why the first one kicked so much ass was because Johnny Depp pulled off the role of Captain Jack Sparrow the way no other actor on the planet could have done. The movie's wit, humour, plot and everything else was built around this character and in the second movie - well, Depp did't get quite as much screen time and didn't do as much with it once he got it. This is partly because of the script - the writers were trying to hard to make Jack use and reuse every phrase or expression he used in the first movie. They kind of exaggerated all his qualities. Also, they tried to make him look darker which wasn't really his look.

Now, it wasn't all bad. It was entertaining. The friend I saw it with ever preferred it to the first (he's the type that likes action over plot). I really liked Norrington in this movie and the scene where him, Sparrow and Will are having a three-way fight on the island. Also, the few seconds before Sparrow jumps to his "death" he shows a flash of classic Jack with the "'Ello, Beastie" and then drawing the sword - that was the Sparrow that saluted the "Pirates Ye Be Warned" sign, that was the Sparrow that cunningly commondeared the Interceptor from Port Royal, that was the Sparrow that dishonestly negotiated his way to revenge on Barbosa...

Well, as you can see, I'm a bit of a fanatic. I think the movie deserved the 2 and a half stars the Gazette gave it. (But that it won't stop me from watching the 3rd)

At first the directors didn't like Depp's hamming Jack up so much in POTC1 but in this movie they really just basically told them to ham it up 24/7.

The first movie was mind blowing awesome

The second movie was just awesome still great its the perfect summer movie, they weren't shooting for an oscar here. Its suppose to be light hearted and fun.

I had quite mixed feelings about it. Its like a roller-coaster: very incredible highs and very annoying lows.

I think the main problem is the screenplay adaptation. The screenplay is great in its subplot references and has very clever developments, but its not tight enough and it was (IMO) not very well translated when it came to shooting.

I was personnaly happily stunned by the whole kiss & shakles twist at the end. That was a great plot development because it takes a cliche (the bad guy becomes good to help his friends) that spins into another cliche (the girl falls for the reformed bad guy) just to have it all blow up with (the girl betrays the reformed bad guy without really turning bad herself).

Its rare to have these types of blockbuster movies deal with in these types of relative grays. Often its always blunt, absolute black & whites with minor differences.