Kyle Chipchura

MCeh

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/208396.html

Latendresse, comme Chipchura, va cogner à la porte du Canadien. Mais si Bob Gainey trouve le joueur autonome qu'il recherche, le calcul est simple: il reste un poste disponible.

Latendresse and Chipchura are working to crack the Habs roster. But if BG finds the free agent he's looking for (article was posted prior to the acquisition of Samsonov, so BG has it seems), there will be one available spot on the team.

Chipchura est un candidat sérieux pour ravir le poste convoité. Il était le capitaine de l'Équipe Canada junior qui a gagné la médaille d'or en 2006. Il sait qu'il sera au plus fort de la course.

Captain of the Canadian Junior team that won the gold medal in 2006, Chipchura is a frontrunner in the competition to win the coveted, open slot.

- - - - -

I'll presume he'd take the checking center role if/when he plays a few NHL games with the team. If he has a great camp, he might give BG a reason to rethink Bonk's salary and expendability.

I've seen Chipchura at the Habs Prospect camp the bast 2 days, and he looks quite good. He's clearly the best player on the ice, and he even looks older/more mature. I wouldn't be surprised if he beat Bonk out of his position, but I sort of don't see it happening right away. I still feel he'll start the season in Hamilton and likely be the first player to get a call if an injury occurs, or simply work his way onto the roster.

Either way, he's going to be one hell of a player.

unless there's a trade, no kid will make the roster. if there's a legit roster spot, it'll be kostitsyn.

of course, in case of an injury, cough samsonov cough, a kid will take the spot.

but at the start of season, we won,t a new kid in the roster

I thought you guys might like this picture. (Chipchura and Gregory Stewart)

:?- ... was confused for a sec, as Stewart looks like Higgins in that pic.

Fortune telling camera maybe... :blink:

Sorry about your dad's ride btw.

Edited by MCeh

:?- ... was confused for a sec, as Stewart looks like Higgins in that pic.

Fortune telling camera maybe... :blink:

Sorry about your dad's ride btw.

Yeah, it does sort of look like Higgins.

Thx, the car might be in better shape than he thought, depending if the radiator is busted or not.

If anyone will make a huge challenge for the last roster spot it's going to be Chipchura, Andrei Kostitsyn, Ferland, Lapierre or Grabovski.

Edit: And Latendresse. Forgot about him :P

Edited by Tony

If anyone will make a huge challenge for the last roster spot it's going to be Chipchura, Andrei Kostitsyn, Ferland, Lapierre or Grabovski.

Edit: And Latendresse. Forgot about him :P

the kid's only 19 he could use some more time in the Q. I expect nothing less than a stellar performance at the wjc in december.

the kid's only 19 he could use some more time in the Q. I expect nothing less than a stellar performance at the wjc in december.

Yeah. Its junior or NHL for Lats; and unless he has an extremely good camp, his place should be in the Q for one more season.

Bob & co. have what we call in French: "l'embarras du choix".

There are so many kids 'fighting' to make the team that the embarassement is having to say 'no' to so many.

While it would seem that none of these guys are going to be game breakers or superstars, nevertheless, the fact that the Canadiens are rated as high as they are depth-wise (5th) there must be something to the quality of the kids in the system.

I'm looking forward to the next few years as these guys start to come up and fill the slots. I know that not all will make it but the face of the team will change.

By the way, I have a 'sentimental' bias toward Corey Locke & Michaël Lambert. It would be nice to see these guys have a legitimate shot at the team and not be left behind as 'dregs', especially Locke.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Though I'd love to see Chipchura or Kotsysin or Guy playing on the habs next season ... but where do you put them ? unless they come out and domintae like a Crosby or Ovechkin and get on a scoring line ... why put these really young players on the 4th line or the press box when they can be playing every game in all situations and with a lot of ice time in juinors or the ahl .... We need these guys to develop into all around great players to be able to replaced the Koivu's Kovalev's etc when they start to age in a few years ... and they can't do that unless they get ice time.

There is a many choice players for Bob Gainey. Chipchura it's a robust player and very fast. But, Kyle Chipchura never player for Bulldogs Hamilton. Only 8 games. It's little. He is good center who could to replace Mike Ribeiro! :P

don lever has said that chipchura was probably the best player in hamilton at that time

Edited by marky_and_komi

We are in for a real treat when Chipchura gets the call. He is a missing piece of the solution to the Habs physical game.

It kinda sucks having too many youngins that are ready to play.

:hlogo:

Edited by The-Habby2919

Habs might have alot of good prospects but Carbo is right, they'll have to earn their spot since it won't be given to them.

And while taking that into account, I'm sure management won't rush anyone into the team who is not ready for the NHL. I think Chipchura is great but is he NHL ready? Same goes for Latendresse and the gang.

Chipper might be very close to the NHL, but let's keep our hopes realistic. He's not the Messiah. Few 20-years old are.

Absolutely.

His numbers are far from that of an offensive powerhouse, still his profile suggests the Canadiens won't be wanting for hard-nosed, responsible 3rd/4th line play from a centre in the near future.

In Bonk, how much longer can Gainey pay $2.4 million to someone nine years his senior and who provides but the same play? As much as next season is Ribeiro's 'make it or break it' time, I think it'll be the same for Bonk. Les Habs were banking on his more offensive past when he was acquired, and it hasn't come through.

Want to know the best thing about this problem ? in about two years we're going to have a stacked team. depending on who is kept ... We have to remember that most of these guys ( guy , chips , Kotsy , locke , aubin etc ) are almost all under 21 !!!! with the team we have now we don't need to rush these guys up ... 1 they can get more ice time in the ahl or minors it will prepare them better ... and 2 they won't hit UFA as quickly.

I think the 1 year deals is supposed to make it easier to get rid of players when younger ones are coming up. Think if we wouldve signed Arnot or Shanahan to 3-5 year deals and then a young guy proves to be better but we cant get rid of the oldies. 1 year deals are great sometimes :)

Absolutely.

His numbers are far from that of an offensive powerhouse, still his profile suggests the Canadiens won't be wanting for hard-nosed, responsible 3rd/4th line play from a centre in the near future.

In Bonk, how much longer can Gainey pay $2.4 million to someone nine years his senior and who provides but the same play? As much as next season is Ribeiro's 'make it or break it' time, I think it'll be the same for Bonk. Les Habs were banking on his more offensive past when he was acquired, and it hasn't come through.

well... this is bonk's contract year, so quite likely not that much longer