Habs Interested In Signing Ryan O'byrne Early

habscout

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20060714...1006/CPSPORTS01

Essentially, the article talks about how the Habs are hopeful that Ryan O'Byrne will forgo his last year of college to sign with the Habs this summer. The Habs have not directly made an offer to O'Byrne because that would cause the player to forfeit his college eligibility. Trevor Timmins had comments that, and I'm paraphrasing, Ryan has adapted well to the rule changes in College last season. He emerged as a leader, and was used in all situations. He is physically ready for the pro game, but the decision to leave college is his.

Personally, I think it would be great for the Habs & O'Byrne to start next season in Hamilton. The Habs need to build up their depth of defencemen, and Ryan could be a good player. However, another season in college won't hurt his development either, as he's still very young.

Stay in school finish your studies and then go pro. You never know how long or short a pro career can be but an education will last and help in every life situation and be the foundation for a good future.

Ryan O'Byrne was one of the most impressive players at the Habs Prospect camp his past week, and I was hoping that the team would sign him so that he could join the Bulldogs this season. The guy is huge and is physically ready to move on up.

I'm not sure there'd be much more for him to learn hockey-wise at Cornell University, but he may wish to remain there in order to complete his education.

He plays the body well and is quite capable of throwing some thunderous hits along the boards. This site has him at 6'5'', 225lbs... but I recieved an updated list of all the players and their measurements (as well as other information) at the prospect camp, and O'Byrne actually weighs in at 234lbs now; Almost 10pds heaver than last season. He's a force to reckon with.

Personally, I see him as a Komisarek meets Souray or Rivet type of player. He can be quite physical, but his strength and solid skating gives him an offensive edge, as he has quite the shot from the blue-line.

Stay in school finish your studies and then go pro. You never know how long or short a pro career can be but an education will last and help in every life situation and be the foundation for a good future.

This isn't about doing what's right for Ryan, it's about what's right for us as Habs fans!

B)

Well then I take it all back.

At 6'5" and 234lbs, still skating and impressing the staff sounds like he has a very good shot at making the team. In that case, I say play for the bulldogs and complete your education during the summer break.

Mont Royale, is right we need his services asap with the bulldogs! and who knows maybe in the bigs if a call up is needed.

Macaskill, keep up the review details on these kids, I"m totally enjoying the read, we all need our hockey fix during this off season.

Edited by Chips

o'byrne can always ask for the habs to pay the rest of his education if he doesn't pan out as an NHLer..it's a common thing for kids to do. I know the quebec rempart did exactly that for angelo esposito.

I can't wait to see what o'byrne will do in the AHL next year.

o'byrne can always ask for the habs to pay the rest of his education if he doesn't pan out as an NHLer..it's a common thing for kids to do. I know the quebec rempart did exactly that for angelo esposito.

Unless there's a Habs scholarship program (that could serve as a loophole of sorts) acknowledged by the NCAA, O'Byrne likely couldn't accept any financial contribution.

David Fischer, bound to NCAA regulations, couldn't even attend the prospects camp unless the $700 transportation cost came from his pocket -- or his dad's.

Kinda silly willy, but I suppose the rules are in place to deter Lebron James types from accepting bling rides premturely. :blink:

O'Byrne's profile draws a monolith blue liner. If he's a smart position player and/or very mobile (especially laterally) for his frame, I want to see him in a Habs uni ASAP. But that formal sheet of paper they call a degree -- an Ivy League one at that -- surely takes precedence. Conceding that I still cringe, trust me.

Later on it'll be nice to say we have two academic athletes in O'Byrne and Higgins... certified intelligence, for whatever it's worth beyond prestige.

(Upper Habs management in the far future?)

Unless there's a Habs scholarship program (that could serve as a loophole of sorts) acknowledged by the NCAA, O'Byrne likely couldn't accept any financial contribution.

Of course O'Byrne could accept financial assistance from the habs, he just would be ineligeble for a scholarship or for the university hockey team.

A college tuition clause in his contract would be so that O'Byrne could pursue his hockey dream with the security of knowing he could finish university without his hockey scholarship. Now whether he'd be readmitted to Cornell without his hockey contribution, i have no idea.

Edited by simonus

David Fischer, bound to NCAA regulations, couldn't even attend the prospects camp unless the $700 transportation cost came from his pocket -- or his dad's.

Kinda silly willy, but I suppose the rules are in place to deter Lebron James types from accepting bling rides premturely. :blink:

O'Byrne's profile draws a monolith blue liner. If he's a smart position player and/or very mobile (especially laterally) for his frame, I want to see him in a Habs uni ASAP. But that formal sheet of paper they call a degree -- an Ivy League one at that -- surely takes precedence. Conceding that I still cringe, trust me.

Later on it'll be nice to say we have two academic athletes in O'Byrne and Higgins... certified intelligence, for whatever it's worth beyond prestige.

(Upper Habs management in the far future?)

Yan Danis graduated from Brown University which is an Ivy League school and J T Wyman could have a future with the Habs in a couple years. He's going to be a junior at Dartmouth another Ivy league school.

And O'Byrne is enrolled in the School of Hotel Administration. I got a phone call from him when he was a freshman at Cornell when I worked for hockeysfuture and was setting up an interview with him and his coach. He seemed to imply that finishing school was really important but that was 2 years ago and he's made huge strides since then. Then again he never said I'm staying all 4 years, so we'll see what he does. I hope to see him in Hamilton, but one more year at Cornell wouldn't hurt. I would bet that both Wyman and Paquet would like to see him in Hamilton, since they both have to play against him twice during the season, and Dartmouth would stand a much better chance of winning the ECAC if O'Byrne is not with Cornell, since some considered him the MVP of Cornell this year.

In an interview done in 2003 by HW, Ryan says he was in the school of business at cornell and had not selected a major yet.

Reading that article now and looking at how he's developed makes me feel even more confident that we have a very good future bulldog.

full article.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=217

Well considering Komisarek and Hainsey (maybe Higgins too) went pro before finishing US College...he may just go pro if team management thinks he has improved so much. O' Byrnes development is a very nice bonus considering where he was drafted.

In an interview done in 2003 by HW, Ryan says he was in the school of business at cornell and had not selected a major yet.

Reading that article now and looking at how he's developed makes me feel even more confident that we have a very good future bulldog.

full article.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=217

That's the interview I did, it was just copied from the one I wrote at HF. It turns out they didn't like me posting articles I wrote for them (for free) on another website. I don't remember if I also posted the one with the defense coach at Cornell but I know both are at HF.

i think it helps the habs in the long term - certainly not the short term though - for him to play his time out in College.