Florida Going With Auld

Smart move..... Auld is going to surprise a lot of people.

Florida's depth chart:

Alex Auld

Craig Anderson

Jean-Marc Pelletier

David Shantz

Tyler Plante

I have an odd feeling the Panthers won't start the season like that.

Wow! Belfour must be done, I thought he had a shot at Florida with Keenan calling the shots. But I guess he's done and needs to hang up the skates. I just can't see anyone else asking for his services.

I just can't see anyone else asking for his services.

just wait till raycroft falls on his face :lol:

I wonder if eddie would be willing to be a backup somewhere... prolly not.

that would be his best option right now.

It seems, tought,that his back is not 100% and thats why 2 teams turned him down.

he shoul retire with dignity and not do like paul coffey...that was pathetic for a guy of his caliber.

According to Keenan's discourse in The Palm Beach Post, the Panthers still want Belfour to backup Auld:

General Manager Mike Keenan on Thursday refuted a report that the Panthers have decided against signing goaltender Ed Belfour.

Quoting a source, Canadian sports channel TSN reported on its Web site that the team had "a sudden change of heart" and broke off negotiations with the 41-year-old goaltender.

"It's news to me," he said when asked about the report. "We haven't closed the door on the situation.

"We've been working through an evaluation, and that process is continuing. We've been in discussions with his agent, and it's possible he's told someone we're done talking. But if that's true, I'm not aware of it."

[...] Belfour underwent a physical exam Tuesday and MRI Wednesday, but Keenan said he has yet to see the results of those tests. And even if they determine Belfour is healthy, Keenan said he wants to see the veteran on the ice before deciding.

Belfour's perhaps biding his time, waiting for a Red Wings decision on his employment. He'd make a reported $1.5 million in Florida and only $500,000 plus incentives in Detroit, but he most covets the job as starting goalie. Belfour has never served as a backup since becoming a No. 1 goaltender in 1990.

Eddie the Ego.

Edited by MCeh

I dont think it's about ego. If I were a pro goalie and I could pick my job, there is no way I'd be a backup. I can't dis a guy for wanting to actually play. Of course it might be healthier for eddie to play 25-30 games, but its tough to make that decision for yourself.

one upshot is that if eddie goes as the #1 to detroit, they might want to upgrade at backup....

Contrary to what people in the Eastern Conference think, Aebischer is a legitimate #1 goalie (although probably better as a 1A guy, as the Habs propose) - I'd sign him over Belfour in, oh, about one second. It's amazing how sheer 'rep' overrides good sense. Detroit would be idiots to try to ride a broken-down 41-year old who showed no sign of adjusting to the 'new NHL'...but given their follies with hasek, nothing would surprise me. I'm just amazed Philly hasn't made Belfour an offer :lol: