How Great Would It Be

alot of people are talking about the buffalo sabres who are way over there cap...and the players who are not signed are...afinogenov...briere...and dumont...am i the only one hoping that gainey pulls out another miracle and signs afinogenov????? how freaking great would that be???? screw ribiero....put kovalev in center along with samsonov and afinogenov!!!!!!

kovalev already played center !

well comon Bob one last surprise!

alot of people are talking about the buffalo sabres who are way over there cap...and the players who are not signed are...afinogenov...briere...and dumont...am i the only one hoping that gainey pulls out another miracle and signs afinogenov????? how freaking great would that be???? screw ribiero....put kovalev in center along with samsonov and afinogenov!!!!!!

kovalev already played center !

well comon Bob one last surprise!

Kovalev? Centre?! When?!?! :o

Kovalev? Centre?! When?!?! :o

i remember them talking about it on rds during a game last season

they were saying worst goes to worst..that kovalev already had center experience

The French press is pushing for Dumont... :o surprised? :o not me... <_< local boy... :blink: sheeeeeeshhhhhhhhh.......... :wacko:

:king: :hlogo: :king:

The French press is pushing for Dumont... :o surprised? :o not me... <_< local boy... :blink: sheeeeeeshhhhhhhhh.......... :wacko:

i prefer afi...we already have 5 russians...one more couldnt hurt!

i prefer afi...we already have 5 russians...one more couldnt hurt!

We already have the next afi (Perezhogin)... I'd rather have a better centre than Ribs, but I doubt that'll happen...

Besides, I'm liking our roster as it stands...

If I had my 'druthers', I'd stick with what we have now. No need to bring anybody else in. We have too many young guys trying to make the grade that another new face would just block them. By the way, I wouldn't condone trading away one of our better prospects (AK, GL, MK, etc...)

Listen, Gainey is no rookie like myself, he will at all times be trying to improve our team. I'm convinced that will happen this year. He will take it up a notch for the habs! But right now is not the time. Between the end of week two during the preseason and the start of the regular season Oct 4th; would be the best time to pick up a great player when other teams are desperate to unload, to fall under the cap.

Gainey has made very calculating decisions, not wasting time cash or our talent pool. He will make the right move or no move. In Bob we must trust.

Having said that it would be wonderful if we are able to upgrade at Center.

I do not see Bob going after afinogenov it just does not make sense with the Canadiens current talent pool on the wings.

An upgrade at centre and locking up Markov long term must be next on Bob's to do list.

Afinaganov? Dumont? I think if BG were to go after anyone on that team it would be Briere. Salary or not. He plays a postion that we need to upgrade in and is a star. The other two would be upgrades, but not at a postion we are weak in. It would be a big risk to give up a young possible future star for a fairly expensive winger. However Briere is worth the cash and the expense. I believe if there was any way possible for BG to make that deal it will/would be done.....without upsetting the balance.

Briere is asking for a lot of money.

I do not know how we can get him without giving up some youth.

Afi and Dumont are also asking too much. If we could get them for a steal, maybe. Otherwise I think we need to pass and prepare for the trade deadline and injuries.

However, if Bob can make one of these happen, he has to go for Briere. I am hoping for one of our youth to step into the role for considerably less money.

I used to like Afi when he broke in the NHL, but then I realized he was a Zednik-type: flashy but predictable.

Besides, we've already got Samsonov who's only 1 year older than Afi and much better. Then we've got Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Plekanec and Higgins who are all younger and cheaper than Afi but who can all bring the same speed and skills than Afi. You can't have a whole lineup of the same types of players. You need some diversity.

Dumont would bring a different style, more of Ryder-style of sniper touch with toughness in extra. But the problem with Dumont is that he can never stay healthy. Besides, he'd be stealing a kid's job and that's not a good thing.

Oh, forget about Kovalev at center. That looks nice on paper, but in reality players as established as Kovalev rarely appreciate being transfered position; especially when its to move to center where responsabilities affects your entire game style. That's just not the way it works in real life.

So its all a no go.

If I had my 'druthers', I'd stick with what we have now. No need to bring anybody else in. We have too many young guys trying to make the grade that another new face would just block them. By the way, I wouldn't condone trading away one of our better prospects (AK, GL, MK, etc...)

Who is MK?!? :?-

Okay, Afinighanov is a good player, but I don't think he'd be a good fit with for example samsonov and kovalev. (Like some posters are suggesting) Watching that line play together would make me dizzy. They all have the same style of play almost, they need more of a set up man as a center. I would look at Briere, and Dumont. We don't need another Afi styled player, we already got one in Samsonov.

I'm a huge Afinogenov fan, the guy was amazing during the Olympics. That would be a huge upgrade for the team, but could we sign him (do we have money left?) I think he's much more expensive than Ribs

Lots of Russinas played much better during the Olympics, Viktor Kozlov was another one. But they all struggle a bit in the NHL, or they don't really live up to their expectations.

I don't think that Afinogenov would be a big upgrade for our team - yes, he's a speedy forward but he needs tons of chances to score and is a real one-dimensional player (we've already enough of this players).