Open Letter To AthlÉtique.canadien

shortcat1

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN, but I REALLY LIKE your signature, the ace cards, that is.

I'd be interested in seeing which players/personel would make up the rest of the card set.

I expect that it's either impossible or, at least, implausible or unfeasible to do a whole 52 card deck so.... who would make up your face cards (and maybe the 10 card). That would be 12 to 16 more.

I suppose it might be possible to make up the rest of the deck with all of the prospects. Hockeysfuture.com has 36 players on the Canadiens 'Organizational Depth Chart' but that chart also includes Perezhogin, Plekanec & Murray. On the other side, it doesn't include this year's draftees which would mean six more. So, this 36 (-3 + 6) would be 39 if one deletes Perezhogin, Plekanec & Murray. 39 plus the existing NHL roster would easily make up the 52 and leave some out.

So............ what do you think? Are you up to it?

(This is also an invitation to anyone else who wants to make up a Canadiens deck of cards based upon whatever - relative talent..., team impact..., future potential impact..., etc...)

I'll do mine in a bit.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

2 of spades or deux de pique in french: rejean houle

3s: savard, robinson, lapointe...and chelios

all 4 and all 9 and all 10: beliveau, richard lafleur and.

5: are russians: kovalev, samsonov, perezhogin and markov..why five ?? because with AK$?, we have 5 legit russian speacking players on our team

jacks: up and coming kids: higgins, chipchura, latendresse, kostitsyn

queens: theodore, ribeiro and dagenais and had a name

kings: patrick roy..maybe dryden, plante and vezina

I actually made this a couple of years ago featuring Gainey, Savard, Gauthier and Jarvis. Things have changed. I decided to get Captain Kirk and Carbo.

Gainey being spades, Carbo hearts, Muller diamonds and Jarvis clubs was by design. Spades is the killer card and soldiers love to have it in battle. Gainey is the greatest warrior of them all so that was obvious. IMO, don't get me wrong. Muller is an all time fav but Carbo trumped him on heart. He was the Captain and Muller the got the A. Muller got relegated to diamonds by default but I liked the idea of Muller's 93 cup ring full of diamonds. And Jarvis? Why clubs? Habs, Stars, Bulldogs. He has worked for many clubs. But none greater than Les Canadiens :hlogo:

I hear you on filling out the rest of the team. These Aces could be players after all. I actually made the original one as a way to give a friend of mine acid indigestion. Yes, bless his poor soul but he likes Blew & White

I could work on it I suppose but we need votes on who is assigned to the other 48 cards. Then there's the Joker :lol:

49?

By the way. In no way am I suggesting that Maurice Richard, Jean Beliveau, Guy Lafleur etc shouldn't be aces. My sig is primarily about the org right now and the structure.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I actually made this a couple of years ago featuring Gainey, Savard, Gauthier and Jarvis. Things have changed. I decided to get Captain Kirk and Carbo.

Gainey being spades, Carbo hearts, Muller diamonds and Jarvis clubs was by design. Spades is the killer card and soldiers love to have it in battle. Gainey is the greatest warrior of them all so that was obvious. IMO, don't get me wrong. Muller is an all time fav but Carbo trumped him on heart. He was the Captain and Muller the got the A. Muller got relegated to diamonds by default but I liked the idea of Muller's 93 cup ring full of diamonds. And Jarvis? Why clubs? Habs, Stars, Bulldogs. He has worked for many clubs. But none greater than Les Canadiens :hlogo:

I hear you on filling out the rest of the team. These Aces could be players after all. I actually made the original one as a way to give a friend of mine acid indigestion. Yes, bless his poor soul but he likes Blew & White

I could work on it I suppose but we need votes on who is assigned to the other 48 cards. Then there's the Joker :lol:

49?

By the way. In no way am I suggesting that Maurice Richard, Jean Beliveau, Guy Lafleur etc shouldn't be aces. My sig is primarily about the org right now and the structure.[/b]

I agree with your reasoning for the aces and, in fact, that's the intent of this 'request'... to slot the present day organization. I'm quite satisfied with the ACES that you have because they ARE the heads of the team. The rest would be players and, if you find it appropriate, other associated personel (trainer, Youppi, equipment manager, etc...)

Well, here's the the deck of cards according to Fozzy the Bear:

A - Gainey, Carbonneau, Muller, Jarvis (and, to meet ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN's concern... an ace up the sleeve - Melanson)

K - Koivu, Kovalev, Huet, Markov

Q - Ryder, Plekanec, Higgins, Samsonov

J - Souray, Rivet, Komisarek, Bégin

10 - Perezhogin, Ribeiro, Bonk, Dandenault

9 - Aebischer, Johnson, Bouillon, Streit

8 - Murray, Downey, Danis, Côté

7 - A. Kostitsyn, Grabovsky, Chipchura, O'Byrne

6 - Latendresse, Emelin, Price, Lapierre

5 - Aubin, D'Agostini, Halak, Fischer

4 - Locke, S. Kostitsyn, Stewart, Mikus

3 - Heino-Lindberg, Korpikari, Archer, Carle

2 - Maxwell, Ferland, White, Sandford

I'm certain that there's much to argue about here but there you go...

Lots of people have been left out: Lambert, Urquhart, Cepek, Valentenko, Michaud, Paquet, etc...

At the bottom of the list (#'s 3 & 2) were fairly interchangeable in some ways. Some of the 2's could have been some of the ones left out. Personally, of those left out, I have hopes for Lambert and Urquhart.

For respect's sake, I refuse to include a Joker.

Edited by shortcat1

Queens?

I don't know if Ryder, Plekanec, Higgins or Samsonov would appreciate the gesture? :P

If only there was an alternative.

I agree on Huet & Markov. I was thinking that our goalie needs to be :king: and we need our top D top be a :king: too. Markov is our number 1 D.

I think Huet should get the diamond since due to the history of the King of diamonds. The figure is very "elusive" and is full of "trickery" if I do recall?

The problem is finding a Huet pic. He's so new for the Canadiens that he's hard to find. We'll have to have it out with Denis Brodeur to get his butt in gear :P

I was thinking we could invent the "P" for Paladin or "C" for Cavalier. Can't use "K" for Knight obviously. Someone help invent a new suit or do you think we should go with Q?

Queens?

I don't know if Ryder, Plekanec, Higgins or Samsonov would appreciate the gesture? :P

I agree on Huet & Markov. I was thinking that our goalie needs to be :king: and we need our top D top be a :king: too. Markov is our number 1 D.

I think Huet should get the diamond since due to the history of the King of diamonds. The figure is very "elusive" and is full of "trickery" if I do recall?

The problem is finding a Huet pic. He's so new for the Canadiens that he's hard to find. We'll have to have it out with Denis Brodeur to get his butt in gear :P

I was thinking we could invent the "P" for Paladin or "C" for Cavalier. Can't use "K" for Knight obviously. Someone help invent a new suit or do you think we should go with Q?

I was a bit concerned about the 'Queens' thing due to our modern non-regal 'interpretation' of the term but I put that aside for the sake of following the actual names of the cards themselves. What can you do when the faces of the cards are as they are. The 'Queens' are.... Queens.

As a matter of fact, I'm surprised that it took eight posts to see that 'issue' brought up. For me, of necessity, it's a non-issue.

kingsed6.png

KINGS :hlogo:

I think you got these mixed up :huh:

Koivu should stay K of hearts but .... Kovavlev should be the kings of spades ( because you never know what he's going to do ) Huet should be King of clubs ( because he's lights out ) and Markov should King of dimonds ( because he's a rock and is the most valuable to the team ) :D

What have I gotten myself into? :P

The King of Clubs. Called “Alexandre” on the French deck, probably after Alexander the Great. He holds a scepter in one hand, with a shield (?) just below it. He faces forward, a little to the right. On the English deck, he holds a sword in his hand, with an imperial orb just beside it (seemingly floating in air). He faces forward, a little to the left. He likes to be called Alex. I figured it fit. Sort of a good card to use for Ovechkin too. That's why he got clubs. Spades for Markov made sense because he is a spade too. We sucked without him in the lineup.

As far as Queens things go. No worries there. To each his own. I did put a :P smiley in. It was a joke about how those players would think about it. Sort of like in Reservoir Dogs and Mr. Pink doesn't like his name. LMAO :P

I suppose Perezhogin gets the nod on the Alexander connection but he's not a King yet. So, next suite is Ryder, Plekanec, Higgins & Samsonov?

Please vote.

I vote for my deck as I set it up!

So there...........

I suppose I could superimpose Ribs head onto the Joker :P

Please don't. If you would, leave those cards as they are.

I don't like the negative implications that are put on the cards.

If one needs to put faces on them, then a more appropriate possibility would to put the faces of someone associated with the team who would be a 'wild card' in the organization... someone who could be slotted in anywhere and be suitable to the situation. Who would that be? Maybe one of the prospects (or someone on the team) who fits anywhere or some guy who can be called up and assume most any role (within limits).

Steve Bégin is a kind of wild card. He can fill in pretty well anywhere for a bit.

Bulis would have done well with that kind of role also.

Johnson could be one of those too in so far as I understand of his skill set.

Plekanec also has that quality.

Sorry about Sammy but superimposing is one thing but finding a match, now that's difficult.

Ran out of patience today. I'll get it done.

In the meantime...

2ga9.png

PS. There will be no Joker. Youppi might qualify though.

very nice, so far... :):):)

I see that you put Souray in the place of Samsonov (from my list). That makes sense too.

Edited by shortcat1

I figured with Samsonov omitted I might as well give one of the queens to a D. I chose Souray because a lot of people seem to give him a bad rap, which is too bad. Rivet could have had it. Komisarek is still a young player. Souray is the vet. Simple.

If you look at the Souray pic you'll notice Perezhogin (42) is behind him :D

2snh0.png

In many card and hockey games the (Melanson) 2 of spades has SPECIAL POWERS ;)

Queens?

What about the italian deck of cards???

does anyone know what i'm talking about?

I think (if I recall right) there is agame called scoppa?

I'm probably going to go with blue chip prospects on the jacks. In card lore the Jack is a Prince, most likely young. Latendresse, Chipchura, Kostitsyn and anyone?

marky_and_komi wanted Jacks to be kids so I'm trying to be fair.

:hlogo:

I was thinking Grabovsky, but maybe he's not in the same league as those three?

And Youpie does qualify as the joker imo, go with him! :D