No Better, No Worse

RobRock

Just got the HN Yearbook in the mail. There was a bit of a shock when I opened it up. In a ranking of the Eastern and Western Divisions, the Habs were ranked second! New Jersey was first and Ottawa third. But that turned out to be a single person's opnion, and not their own pick for the standings. So here's the picks in a nutshell.

In the East, Carolina will repeat in the East, with the Sens and Rangers winning their divisions. They have the Habs slotted at seventh, same as last season, and the Leafs can postpone the parade – again – as they won't make the dance. The Thrashers are pegged in eighth for their first playoff berth, an attainable goal in my mind.

In the West, it's Duck season, where they will overcome Predators and Flames to win the conference, and the Cup! They also put Columbus in the final spot in the West for their debut playoff appearance. They have Nashville winning the Central and Detroit in sixth, which I don't know if it's really that possible. Despite losing Yzerman and Shanahan and the questionable change in goal from Legace to Hasek, I think they have enough depth to finish higher than sixth, and with the Central the way it is, another Norris title is very doable. No Canucks or Oilers next spring either.

Here's their Habs depth chart.

Samsonov – Koivu – Kovalev

Higgins – Ribeiro – Ryder

Perezhogin – Plekanec – Johnson

Murray – Bonk – Downey

Latendresse – Begin – Kostitsyn

Lapierre – Chipchura – Ferland

Markov – Rivet

Souray – Dandenault

Bouillon – Komisarek

Streit – Coté

Yemelin – Archer

Huet – Aebischer – Danis

I just can't see Begin that far down on the depth chart. He brings too much energy and leadership in the dressing room for him to be a regular scratch, and putting Bonk on the fourth line for what he's scheduled to make is just wasting money, on a team that will be fairly close to the cap. So I could definitely see a deal being made when the season starts or shortly after. Murray is on my fourth line with Begin, with that third spot being a platoon amongst Kostitsyn, Ferland and Chipchura. I don't think Latendresse will make the team unless he can steal a spot on the top two lines. The Habs have rarely, if ever, put a raw rookie on the team straight out of junior, and with Gainey and Carbonneau calling the shots, I don't see anything changing there.

And finally, for a bit of levity, there was a countdown in the regular issue of what NHLers did on their summer vacations. #2 was our favourite foil on the blueline, Sheldon Souray.

"You know what? The summer just kind of passed by. Went right around him."

I like Sheldon, but man that's just god damned funny.

Just got the HN Yearbook in the mail. There was a bit of a shock when I opened it up. In a ranking of the Eastern and Western Divisions, the Habs were ranked second! New Jersey was first and Ottawa third. But that turned out to be a single person's opnion, and not their own pick for the standings. So here's the picks in a nutshell.

In the East, Carolina will repeat in the East, with the Sens and Rangers winning their divisions. They have the Habs slotted at seventh, same as last season, and the Leafs can postpone the parade – again – as they won't make the dance. The Thrashers are pegged in eighth for their first playoff berth, an attainable goal in my mind.

In the West, it's Duck season, where they will overcome Predators and Flames to win the conference, and the Cup! They also put Columbus in the final spot in the West for their debut playoff appearance. They have Nashville winning the Central and Detroit in sixth, which I don't know if it's really that possible. Despite losing Yzerman and Shanahan and the questionable change in goal from Legace to Hasek, I think they have enough depth to finish higher than sixth, and with the Central the way it is, another Norris title is very doable. No Canucks or Oilers next spring either.

Murray – Bonk – Downey

Markov – Rivet

Souray – Dandenault

Bouillon – Komisarek

Streit – Coté

Yemelin – Archer

Huet – Aebischer – Danis

I just can't see Begin that far down on the depth chart. He brings too much energy and leadership in the dressing room for him to be a regular scratch, and putting Bonk on the fourth line for what he's scheduled to make is just wasting money, on a team that will be fairly close to the cap. So I could definitely see a deal being made when the season starts or shortly after. Murray is on my fourth line with Begin, with that third spot being a platoon amongst Kostitsyn, Ferland and Chipchura. I don't think Latendresse will make the team unless he can steal a spot on the top two lines. The Habs have rarely, if ever, put a raw rookie on the team straight out of junior, and with Gainey and Carbonneau calling the shots, I don't see anything changing there.

And finally, for a bit of levity, there was a countdown in the regular issue of what NHLers did on their summer vacations. #2 was our favourite foil on the blueline, Sheldon Souray.

Last years yearbook had Carolina missing the playoffs. :wacko:

I think the reason for Begin being so low on the depth chart is because it goes according to natural position. Begin is a centre. He is also our 5th best centre. What the chart fails to take into account is that he can also play the wing.

You don't want to look at the "forecaster" which has the Habs predicted to finish 14th in the East...only ahead of Pittsburgh.

Note about the Forecaster: I have always found this magazine the best for player analysis...however it is not nearly as good this year...very little on prospects (usually detailed).

Edited by Mr. Nasty

You don't want to look at the "forecaster" which has the Habs predicted to finish 14th in the East...only ahead of Pittsburgh.

Note about the Forecaster: I have always found this magazine the best for player analysis...however it is not nearly as good this year...very little on prospects (usually detailed).

They really predict the Habs to finnish 14th! So teams like Florida and Washington will finnish ahead of them? That is awful. What do they base their logic on?

I would be a little disappointed with a 7th in the East finish, let alone finishing 14th. Realistically, we should be 5th-6th in the East with an outside chance of winning the division.

I agree with the depth charts. Looks pretty solid.

7th? 14th?

We bring in more offense, get faster, and have two capable goaltenders battling each other for the #1 spot.

Is losing Theodore so bad that the Habs stagnate this season? Did the media notice he shit the bed last season? Is losing Zednik that bad?

No no, it must be Sundstrom! Curses!

Honestly, the Habs improved. I don't think every team in the east improved as much as they did. Hell, look in the NE division.

Buffalo lost dmen and Dumont, and gained...?

Ottawa lost Havlat and Smolinksi, and gained Gerber. Can't wait to face them in the playoffs!

Toronto gained Hall Gill, Kubina, Peca and Raycroft. Leafs checklist: Get slower - done. Sell your future to solve your problems now - Almost. Raycroft solves nothing.

Boston - Gained Chara and Savard. The jury is still out on this one.

And aside from the Rangers, did any team in the East get better?

I'm a bit flustered.

They really predict the Habs to finnish 14th! So teams like Florida and Washington will finnish ahead of them? That is awful. What do they base their logic on?

Basically they said that Huet would be hard pressed to repeat (they seem to ignore the fact that Theo was horrible the first half of the season) and that management feels the same way...that is why they kept Aebischer. They also feel they lack veteran leadership and are putting too much faith in young players.

Well ultimatley it will come down to how Montreal's best players play, as with any other team.

Most critical will be Huet and Aebischer. If one falters the other has to be ready to step up and be the #1 goalie.

Next it probably the health of Saku Koivu. If he's healthy, Montreal will be competive. If not, Montreal will be in trouble.

Next up is Probably Mike Ribeiro. Looks like he'd going to be the second line centre. He has to produce with linemates like Samsonov and Kovalev to take the heat off the Koivu line.

Montreal's defense corp was very good last year and will need a repeat performance this year. There already taking hits right now with Bouillon and Streits injuries.

Last but not least will be the emergence of the sophomores. Montreal can't really afford any sophomore slumps from Plekanec, Perezhogin and Higgins. Of course this is highly unlikely, but hopefully only one of the three will struggle at any one time. The emergence of Andrei Kostitsyn as an offensive force would help in this area alot.

Murray – Bonk – Downey

Markov – Rivet

Souray – Dandenault

Bouillon – Komisarek

Streit – Coté

Yemelin – Archer

Huet – Aebischer – Danis

'' No better nor worse '' ?

Despite NH Yearbook being pretty much on target with the roster depth chart

(except for Downey over Begin) they are either under-appreciating our new edition or are

estimating that our main competitors have improved just as well......which would leave us therefore

neither better or worse in the everall eastern standing than under the previous season.

I cant assess other teams improvements but I feel very confident about our own improvements.

ROLES : They are define and adequate right from the get go,..unlike the Dag, Zed, Sund, Bulis and Bonk's edition.

STABILITY : No change on our D makes it a better D, Huet included.

COACHING : Adequate players this year will make it easy to establish the winning formula.

PP and PK : Should both be in the hight overall ranking.

SCORING DEPTH : Better than last year and pretty good in overall ranking.

INDIVIDUAL SURPRISES : Our vulnerability last year depended on them to make the play-offs and thanks God Huet came along to save our butts.......we also benifited from both Rivet and Higgins reaching higher

grounds than expected.

I am not foreseeing any surprises of that sort this coming season.....hopefully I am wrong and someone will have an incredible year out there,.....but regardless of it hapenning or not I feel this team in itself is substantially improved over the one last season and could in fact become as a whole the very surprise itself..........but above all they have the goods to play exciting even superb hockey.

Edited by PB

:hlogo:

There is no point in even bothering with these stupid so called "experts".

In sports illustrated last year, pierre maguire put carolina, dallas, and the rangers at the bottom of the league while ranking the panthers in the top ten.

They're useless.

This is the first year that at the forward position, we actually have guys playing their roles.

Ryder, higgins, zednik, bulis, ribeiro; they were all playing on a line that was too good for them. These are all second line guys (bulis being a third line guy) who were occupying first line roles.

With the addition of samsonov, we finally have two lines that can share the load of top ines on a team.

Our third line will finally be dangerous with Johnson, Plecanek and perezoghin, and the fourth line is still as strong as ever and bonk won't have the prssure to produce offensivly.

Our only problem is on D. All we need is maybe one really good defencemen (a puckmover who can hit) and i beleive we're prime for cup contention.

When adding this to all the subtraction the maost other teams in the east made, we're looking good.

Buffalo loses Dumont and a d-man.

Ottawa loses Chara and Havlat

TO loses their second best center and gets slower on D

New Jersy is losing Gionta or Gomez or Both

Atlanta loses Savard and Bondra

Ilasnders don't improve

Tampa loses Kubina

i think we're looking good

If the Habs are truely "No better, No worse", then why are people saying they'll place 7th? :blink:

Am I the only 1 who remembers the Habs dismal 8-24 stretch when Kovalev and Markov were injured? Not to mention other bad loosing streaks because of major injuries. The Habs last year were definitely a lot better than their 7th place finish suggests.

Not to mention that Huet didnt play all season last year, and if all goes well he will this year. Based on Huet alone the Habs record should be better.

Now just think, this year the Habs are even better than last. I'll be right bummed in the Habs only manage 7th place.

Also, i'm not sure why people say the Rangers improved. NYR might have picked up Shanahan, but am I the only 1 wondering if he'll be a good fit for them as he was for the Wings? :P

ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN true enough.

One needs to take chances, but such chances can make one look stupid if it doesnt actually pan out.

I guess ranking the Habs 7th is a pretty safe bet. I really cant see them being worse than 7th, and I doubt they'll be higher than 4th place. I guess being within a few spots is good enough, considering some of these eggheads are so far off its crazy, like Cannes winning the Cup but most analysts had them missing the playoffs.

I have to admit though, I didnt have the Cannes in the playoffs at the start of last season. I figured the Panthers would have made it. Flor looked good on paper, had a great goalie etc, but they just didnt mesh well or something. Ditto for Boston, they went to hell in a hand bag right quick, not entirely sure how or why. The only other prediction I made last season that was wrong was Vancouver.

There has been so many mass changes this off season, that I dont even know where to begin to try to attempt to rank teams for this season. :lol:

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

There has been so many mass changes this off season, that I dont even know where to begin to try to attempt to rank teams for this season. :lol:

I hear ya.

After seeing all the additions and subtractions that teams made during the offseason I quickly ran out of playoff positions.

I hope for my sake I'm right with some at least, this can be a tough crowd :king: :unsure: