Vancouver's Safe Injection Site Stays Open

Pierre the Great

Tories to keep safe-injection site open

PETTI FONG

Globe and Mail Update

The federal government announced late Friday on the eve of its deadline that it will extend by only a year and a half Vancouver's supervised injection site after delaying a decision for months.

In an early evening press release, Federal Health Minister Tony Clement said he's unable to approve the current request to extend the Vancouver site for another three and a half years.

The site, which is North America's only supervised injection facility, must have a federal exemption from drug laws in order to allow drug users to shoot up inside without fear of arrest. The federal government has been under increased pressure to make a decision on the site before the Sept. 12 deadline. The province, which funds the site, and the city's police chief, supports continuing the facility.

But Mr. Clement made clear that he is not convinced.

“Do safe-injection sites contribute to lowering drug use and fighting addiction?” he said in the release. “Right now the only thing the research to date has proven conclusively is drug addicts need more help to get off drugs.

Mr. Clement deferred the decision on the Vancouver application to Dec. 31, 2006, during which time additional studies will be conducted.

But scientific studies already show the site has been beneficial, according to Dr. Thomas Kerr, a scientist at the B.C. Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS.

The findings demonstrate the facility is getting addicts off the street and into treatment services, he said.

Mayor Sam Sullivan said he will be meeting with the Health Minister in the fall.

“The City is very pleased that Health Minister Clement has extended the research permit for Insite,” he said yesterday after the announcement. “We strongly believe that this research program plays an important role in not only reducing harm to those who are drug addicted, but also reducing harm and costs to our communities. We will have a bit longer to prove that point.”

Talk about a catch 22. Whadda we do? I think it's best to take the lesser of 2 evils and keep them open. But, it's disconcerting at the same time. But, they're going to do it whether it's in an alley, on a building or at an injection site. The difference is that the 3rd alternative is a clean one.

Doesn't it make you all sad in general? :(

The difference is it stops the spread of diseases and they're monitored so if they overdose they get medical help right away. Then the treatment side is when they've realized that what they are doing is bad for them and destructive.

New HIV infections have gone way down since the the site opened.

The place of lost souls is a depressing one but like anything, they can turn around there life if given a chance.

they can turn around there life if given a chance.

that's the thing ... although it is safer - i don't believe the injection site actually helps anyone turn around their life who wouldn't have turned it around eventually anyways. the hope is that the site doesn't actually encourage others to shoot up - cuz we all probably know someone who is essentially burnt out by drugs.

i wish a TRUE ban on all of these types of drugs was enforceable.

They should just go all out and make drugs mandatory in Vancouver. Once everybody in the city is dead, there won't be a drug problem anymore.

i resent that comment...

unfortunately, like revvv said a ban is unpolicable, look at what prohibition did...

hopefully there is encouragement to go into rehab at the site, but i dont know...

when it comes to drug addictions you can only help when people want the help. If someone wants to quit and goes to the site and sees the other people doing it and sees that he or she needs to change they will seek help. I've seen people change that way. Throwing them in prison isn't the answer.

I've seen both examples of this. I know one person who was a druggie saw everyone doing it at a party and he just decided that he had enough after a close scare (o.d.) in his life. I saw that is was destructing his life.

The other person I know got arrested for it went to jail but hasn't changed. Because if you want to send druggies to jail send them to rehab not jail. Thats were the conservative agenda of putting them in jail goes wrong. Instead of putting them in drug rehab they put them in regular population prison and they don't learn anything. All it does is make there addictions stronger. So when they get out they go back to doing drugs.

• 2 weeks later...
They should just go all out and make drugs mandatory in Vancouver. Once everybody in the city is dead, there won't be a drug problem anymore.

Such a nice attitude..... shheeesshh!!!!!!!! :huh: :nono:

A dear and close relative is a recovering heroin addict - if only those who have never experienced its' horrendous influence actually had any idea how much hurt it can cause, and the damage it inflicts on more than just the addict......

Edited by beliveau1