It's Still Hnit

RobRock

I know that earlier this year, there was a lot of discussion when they released the schedule for this season's games on Saturday nights, and how everyone was excited at the prospect of seeing the Habs covered more often than seasons past. I looked up the final schedule over at CBC's website, and it's exactly what I expected.

There's no games on the national schedule involving the Habs on Saturday night that don't also involve the Leafs. There's three afternoon games, two on Saturday and one on Sunday. There is one game being shown in the Maritimes, but not in Newfoundland (gotta get a Newfoundlander on the team next year). Everything else is Quebec only. In addition, the boys are going south for three games, Detroit, Buffalo (border hops) and Pittsburgh.

###### I hope they lose the NHL rights next season.

Did you really expect anything less. The worse part is that they are going to force some horrible hockey on everyone this year. The least they could do is drive the HD truck down to Ottawa and leave it there.

The CBC clearly took a strategy decision some years ago to promote a single team to drive market share. Their other option was to promote "Canadian Hockey" which would imply that they show are fairly balanced schedule. Clearly they felt that they could make more money rallying around a single team. Eventually, Toronto will have the most fans because outside of Quebec, that is who you see every week. They want to make it "Canada's team".

I think it backfired somewhat last year when the leafs failed to make the playoffs. Still, I hope they do lose the TV rights, but I don't really expect TSN to be any different.

You are dreaming JMMR.. they won't give up on the leafs just because they suck. :)

My buddies all watched the game last night even though they all agreed the leafs suck. They will still watch. We all watched the habs a few years ago too. :)

The sad fact is that for the last 10 years the CBC has been cultivating the Leafs as "Canada's team". They have been pretty successful. Most people outside of local team areas only see the Leafs. They don't see Ottawa, the Habs, Calgary or Edmonton. The CBC has two teams, the leafs and the Canucks.

Marketing works, even if the product sucks. :)

You are dreaming JMMR.. they won't give up on the leafs just because they suck. :)

My buddies all watched the game last night even though they all agreed the leafs suck. They will still watch. We all watched the habs a few years ago too. :)

The sad fact is that for the last 10 years the CBC has been cultivating the Leafs as "Canada's team". They have been pretty successful. Most people outside of local team areas only see the Leafs. They don't see Ottawa, the Habs, Calgary or Edmonton. The CBC has two teams, the leafs and the Canucks.

Marketing works, even if the product sucks. :)

Yet another reason why I hate the Canucks...

LOL...

I certainly agree with the sentiment that they should be supporting Canadian hockey, not Toronto hockey, but I no longer hold out any hope that it will happen. HNIT is the only real money maker for the CBC and that is its mandate.

I personally believe that they would be better off cultivating all the hockey teams and being less dependant on the Leafs to make the playoffs, but that would take effort and a long range view, something most companies including the CBC are useless at.