Drew Bledsoe

Fanpuck33

If Bill Parcell's has a mind left in his head, Drew Bledsoe has thrown his last pass this season. That was one of the worst performances by a quarterback I've ever seen. All his instincts seem to be gone. He has no timing with his recievers. He is clueless picking up coverages. He looks like he's never seen a blitz before. Wow, that was just hard to watch.

The Cowboy's are my team, but that was just sad today. I was at my sisters; and the game was on, but too many kids running around and the parts I did see was Dallas just running [well trying to] the ball. And the passes Drew threw were off, too short etc..... and late in the game (on that looooooooooooooong sack) he held the ball tooo long, looked like a rookie QB out there thinking he has all day to throw it; throw it out of bounds and try on the next down.

Our "backup" QB is Romo, who has a total of 5 attempts in his 4 years..............maybe it's time to get him in a game? for a series to see what he can do.

i watched the game and drew is done. Not that his line was doing him too many favours, but whats the point when he either takes a week to throw the ball or misses his target (or both).

the biggest argument amongst my friends watching the game was whether bledsoe is a has-been or a never-was.

Edited by simonus

Jeff George was a never was but he's been around forever because he has an arm. Bledsoe always had an arm.

He lasted less than 10 years in the league, and he did live up to a lot of his potential. If you look at his numbers, they are pretty good. He just had a big head and nobody ever wanted to hang on to him.

I love using this guy as analogy but I bring up JD Drew. He was suppose to be the next mantle. Never quite put it together. I put Bledsoe in the same catagory.

Totally different situations. Drew had a myriad of injuries that derailed his career. When healthy, he's a fantastic player.

I'd go with a has-been for Bledsoe (as did my dad who I just asked, as I've mentioned before, been a Patriots fan since like...1971 or something). His early years with the Pats when Parcells coached, he was a great QB. His mobility has always been a problem though, I'm surprised people still bring it up like they're surprised.

I'll always admire him for the way he handled the Brady situation. He knew he was gone after that season but he didn't make a fuss about it, he just helped Brady become a better QB and left in the off-season. Not like other QBs. The one that bugs me the most (and most Americans will have no idea who I'm talking about probably) is Casey Printers. The way he handled himself last season with the Lions was disgraceful, I was glad to see him leave the CFL. He can go rot in the NFL for all I care.

• 3 weeks later...
The Cowboy's are my team, but that was just sad today.

Our "backup" QB is Romo, who has a total of 5 attempts in his 4 years..............maybe it's time to get him in a game? for a series to see what he can do.

And it happened again last night...............at least this time Parcell's got Romo in a game.

And TO dropping a 3rd down pass! I could have caught that one................maybe now he'll SHUT HIS TRAP bitching about everyone else! I did notice that after the dropped pass, he was on the sidelines just sitting there.............

Start Romo, he didn't look too bad coming in, moved the ball (yes he had a couple picks) but came in cold give him a full game to get the feel of the game from the start

LOL, I knew somebody would bump this thread. Romo eh? Wasn't his first pass an interception? ouch, glad I'm not a fan of the cowboys, but yeah that dropping the 4th down pass by Owens was pathetic then he's smiling and laughing about it. lol

3 INT's in one half of football IIRC. One returned from New York's goal line for a TD.

Bledsoe = average QB. Look at his QB ratings: 65.0, 73.6, 63.7, 83.7, 87.7, 80.9, 75.6, 77.3, 75.3, 86.0, 73.0, 76.6, 83.7, 69.2. Career rating: 77.1. That is very average and doesn't stack up very well with other QBs career rating.

Charlie Batch: 78.7

Aaron Brooks: 79.6

Brian Griese: 84.9

Damon Huard: 82.4

Kelly Holcomb: 79.9

Tim Rattay: 81.6

Give him credit for playing tough on the field, and for being classy off the field. But other than a big arm, he brings very few skills to the table. He's not mobile, he's only average at reading defences, he's prone to interceptions... wouldn't want him on my team.

Edited by option+

QB rating is such a horrible stat to use though. Besides, you're using (mainly) career backups who have limited playing time, they'll be inflated a bit. Take a look at who else is in Drew's company...

Bob Griese - 77.14

Johnny Unitas - 78.20

Joe Theismann - 77.40

Phil Simms - 78.50

John Elway - 79.90

Terry Bradshaw - 70.92

Y.A Tittle - 74.30

In the leagues All-Time top 50, Bledsoe is..

5th in Pass Attempts

5th in Completions

7th in Passing Yards

13th in Passing TDs

And those say more then QB rating. If went by that, people would rather have Aaron Brooks or Charlie Batch be their starting QB before John Elway or Johnny Unitas which is ridiculous. Obviously Bledsoe has little mobility and his skills are starting to diminsh but he's not the only QB in history it's ever happened to.

Batch, Brian Griese and Brooks are absolutely valid comparisons. Batch was a starter for four years in Detroit, Brooks has been a starter for his entire career, Griese was a starter for 4 years in Denver and 1.5 years in Tampa. But you're right about Holbombe and Huard; they're unfair comparisons because they haven't been starters for long enough.

Yes, QB rating is a bad tool to compare QBs from different era. Griese, Unitas, Bradshaw, Theismann and Tittle played during a time where completion %s were low, QBs threw a decent amount of interceptions, and the passing game was geared toward getting big gains by throwing down the field. Hence, their passer ratings are lower than guys who play now. But I'd bet if you compared those guys ratings to other guys who played at the same time, they'd stack up pretty well.

QBs since the popularization of the West Coast offence and other sophisticated short passing games, QBs have been expected to complete high percentages and limit their interceptions, thus inflating their passer ratings. Elway started his career playing the "old" style of QB and finished it playing the 'new" style of QB. If you look at his ratings from the later years of his career (92.8, 85.7, 86.4, 89.2, 87.5, 93.0), they stack up pretty well to anybody else playing at that time. Simms is an in between case because he started playing in "old" style of QBing and by the time the game changed, he was more or less at the end of the line.

QB rating is only useful when looking at QBs who played in the same era. And Bledsoe does NOT stack up well to his contemporaries. Bledsoe's career passing rating ranks 18th out of among active QBs with 1,500 career attempts. Some of the guys ahead of him include:

Drew Brees: 85.7

Mark Brunell: 84.4

Jake Delhomme: 84.4

Trent Green: 88.1

Brad Johnson: 84.2

Byron Leftwich: 80.5

All of those guys are decent-to-good, and all of them rank stastically ahead of Bledsoe by a fair margin.

I know a lot of people don't put a lot of faith in stats, and believe that a QBs true worth is based on wins, and play in the playoffs. But here too, Bledsoe doesn't really distinguish himself. Bledsoe's teams have finished a combined 108-108 in the regular season (I'm counting this year, as well as the two games he lost that year Brady replaced him and the Pats won the Super Bowl). That is very average. His playoff performance is very bad: 129 for 252, 1,1335 yards, 6 TDs, 12 INTs. Passer rating of 54.9. In his only Super Bowl appearance he was 25 for 48, 253 yards, 2 TDs, 4 INTs, rating of 46.6. Give him credit for making the Super Bowl, but no too much considering that teams QBed by Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have win the Super Bowl, and guys like Kerry Collins and Chris Chandler have made it there too.

I honestly cannot see the argument for Bledsoe as anything other than an average QB.

Edited by option+

Well, you've got me there. If you do look at his all-time stats (which can be used for all generations) he's up there in almost everything (although you are right, he's thrown far too many INTs).

I still disagree that hes an average QB though, hes atleast above average. In terms of todays starters I'd still play him ahead of guys like Brooks in Oakland, Brunell in Washington, Harrington in Miami, Collins in Tennesee or Simms in Tampa Bay. And I only stopped cause I can't think of any other starters, I'm sure theres a couple more. He has far more to offer then any of those guys. For last nights game, Dallas's O-Line just looked horrendous.

And forgot about Batch in Detroit. I knew he started a couple years somewhere but couldn't remember where. New Orleans always sucked when Brooks was there and now in Oakland, people were always under the impression he's starting material. He's a great back-up but not someone I'd want out there for me week in and week out.

This has nothing to do with Bledsoe at all, but Aaron Brooks was poised to become one of the better QBs in the NFL at the beginning of his career. He led the Saints to their first ever playoff win in his first year (it was his second year, but he spent the first backing up Favre in Green Bay and never got a snap), on the road no less, and against the defending Super Bowl Champion Rams. That was a monumental accomplishment, considering that how downtrodden the Saints franchise was and how dominant the Rams were from 1999 to 2001. I would have bet the bank on him becoming a pro bowl-type QB, but it just all fell apart to the point where he's one of the worst starting QBs in the league. Funny how things work sometimes.

Bledsoe really sucks at this stage in his career - and apparently Romo isn't far better, witness all the interceptions he threw last night.

The Cowboys really need to draft, trade or somehow sign a very good quarterback if they've ever going to contend again. They've got a good RB in Julius Jones, a slightly demented but good WR in Terrell Owens, but they haven't the general to put it all together. Neither Bledsoe or Romo can cut it on a playoff team.