Game Thread | Maple Leafs vs. Habs | 10/28/06

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nah........... just for a left curve & a reaction from my habs buddies...

it won't stay here long... just to see how people react to it.

Go :hlogo: Go!

Sweet pick on the Avatar change, my friend! Hubba Hubba :clap:

Just got home from the game...they stole a point tonight. Here were my impressions on some players that stood out (good and bad)

Plekanec: fourth line center....useless offensively.

Rivet: brutal....but now taking dumb penalties too. Liability most shifts...I hope he's gone after this season

Latendresse: keep him on 3rd or 4th line...not ready for 'prime time'

Koivu/Higgins/Ryder: not as strong as they usually are...but hey, they are entitled to a lacklustre game after having carried the team many a night so far this season.

Kovalev/Samsonov/Perezhogin: they stepped up to the plate and were the reason we stole a point. Kovalev looked better at center than any other center we have offensively...sad he has to do it, but BG failed to get the team what it needed most so he has no choice it seems.

Aebischer: solid in a game where he got shelled, and gave the Habs a chance to win in the shootout

Murray: good energy

Begin: I expect more energy from him

Bonk/Johnson: good job killing penalties, as usual

Edited by sbhatt

I'd like to see Plekanec on the 4th for awhile, but mostly to get Begin on the wing. He seemed to do better there last year, and considering he is pointless and something like a minus 6...I think he needs to try something different.

Pleks though? I think he needs to go on a line without that much pressure to perform for awhile.

In my opinion the third line has become weak with Lats on the wing, the proper move imo is to move Begin to the wing with Bonk and Johnson giving us a real shut down line.

The fourth line will then be Lats Plex and Murray. Some offence some D some speed. A fourth line that won't get many minutes, I just don't like seeing Lats on the third line he seems to have killed their solid D.

Just finished reading the thread... I was at work and didnt get to watch the damn game...

Rivet: so he stunk up the place again tonight? What else is new?

Niinimaa: I'm ready to cut him some slack because he's playing on his off-side. Its not that easy switching sides for a D-man, you lose all your reflexes and automatisms. In a game that's decided on fraction of seconds, it makes a huge difference.

Lats & Plex: I would like to see them together on the 4th, but with someone better than Murray on their wing. Again here Latendresse's problem is that he's a RW, and he's been used on the LW. Doesn't help.

yeah, the deep south pole...if that existed..but it doesn't.

5 points to whoever can tell me what movie I just quoted.

Little Nicky sorry I was at the game just reading through the thread now.

I was at the game as well it was soo exciting when Sammy and Souray scored those goals to tie the game up wow!

The Habs Defense looked intimadeted all night long exempting Komisarek and Streit who I believe played fairly well.

Kozed you are right about Niinimaa though playing your off side on the back end is very difficult. But if he can not cut it the pairings should be juggled and someone else should try it.

I believe Jarvis is coaching the defense not Muller I believe he is working mostly with the PK and PP.

Kozed you are right about Niinimaa though playing your off side on the back end is very difficult. But if he can not cut it the pairings should be juggled and someone else should try it.

Well the problem is that with Dandy out, our only other natural right D is... eeehhh... O'Byrne?

Remember a couple of years ago, after a great rookie season Robidas was forced to play his off-side... completely screwed him up. I hate it when coaches do that, but in this case we dont have anyone else... Just think of it this way: if Niinimaa is playing his off-side, its because no one else could... not Markov, Souray or Streit.

I just hope Dandy comes back soon...

What was up with the refs last night?

I counted at least 3 high sticks last night (I missed the first period) is highsticking no longer a penalty?

Well contrary to what some people believe if a player does swing his stick at the puck in a normal fashion then contact with a player on the wind up or follow through does not warrent a powerplay.

Check out rule 60.1 in the nhl rulebook

But there was one play where Bataglia swung his stick like a baseball bat and hit someone in the face that should have been called but a blind eye was turned.

I just read the three stars on Canadiens.com...

Samsonov & Kovalev are slated as 1 & 2... sounds like a biased joke.

On RDS TV, Wellwood was the 3rd star 'cause he scored the shoot-out winner.

At least Kaberle was mentioned here. He should have been higher than # 3 and Aebischer should have been considered more seriously - stopping 47 of 51 shot... He may have been weak on one of the goals... I don't know if he was but still 47 of 51 is .922 and THE main reason for the win. Aubin, at 18 stops on 22 shots is .818... very weak by NHL standards.

My three stars were:

1. Kaberle

2. Aebischer

3. mostly some other Leafs player (Ponikorovski?) or maybe Samsonov

Just got home from the game...they stole a point tonight. Here were my impressions on some players that stood out (good and bad)

Plekanec: fourth line center....useless offensively.

Rivet: brutal....but now taking dumb penalties too. Liability most shifts...I hope he's gone after this season

Latendresse: keep him on 3rd or 4th line...not ready for 'prime time'

Koivu/Higgins/Ryder: not as strong as they usually are...but hey, they are entitled to a lacklustre game after having carried the team many a night so far this season.

Kovalev/Samsonov/Perezhogin: they stepped up to the plate and were the reason we stole a point. Kovalev looked better at center than any other center we have offensively...sad he has to do it, but BG failed to get the team what it needed most so he has no choice it seems.

Aebischer: solid in a game where he got shelled, and gave the Habs a chance to win in the shootout

Murray: good energy

Begin: I expect more energy from him

Bonk/Johnson: good job killing penalties, as usual

Your opinions or players are awfully.....what's the word? hmm.. knee-jerk is the closest I can think of. Just because Plekanec might have had a bad game doesn't make him a career 4th liner and 'useless' offensively. He's easily a very good thirdliner and he's much more talented offensively than the majority of thirdliners in the league. One of the best playmakers on the team. And Rivet will not be gone after the season - and if he is it won't be because he had a bad game vs Toronto. For the moment, we need those two players. For the moment. Wait until we don't need them to yell for a trade.

By the way, I'm very happy with the turnout.

Your opinions or players are awfully.....what's the word? hmm.. knee-jerk is the closest I can think of. Just because Plekanec might have had a bad game doesn't make him a career 4th liner and 'useless' offensively. He's easily a very good thirdliner and he's much more talented offensively than the majority of thirdliners in the league. One of the best playmakers on the team. And Rivet will not be gone after the season - and if he is it won't be because he had a bad game vs Toronto. For the moment, we need those two players. For the moment. Wait until we don't need them to yell for a trade.

and well you should be... Santa came early this year...

Just got back from the game, it was pretty intense at the Bell Center, Although Montreal played like crap, but they got back in the game at the end. I had amazing seats 4 rows up from the toronto bench, i was around the guy holding the Stanley+ leafs= never. This guy started yelling at him for holding the sign up, he started 1967, he was cheering for the leafs but when Montreal Scored those goals at the end he started dancing :huh: , Me and some other guy started yelling at him cause he was being fareweather............

I bought a Latendresse T-shirt and a huge montreal Candiens flag. I loved the experience though, it was worth the two 6 hour drives. :lol:

edit. I forgot i made eye contact with Aubin for like 10 seconds, (he is the only person on Toronto i respect), it was so cool, during commercial breaks i would just stare at him when he came to the bench, a couple times he looked at me for ten seconds at a time, it was awsome

Edited by Shu

Have you been watching the games this season? My read on Plekanec and Rivet aren't just for the Toronto game. Plekanec has looked lost in the offensive zone since Game 1. Rivet has looked slow and vulnerable since Game 1.

I think Plekanec MIGHT be able to handle third line duty, but will have to show more of this 'playmaking' you speak of; at this point, I'm not as comfortable putting him down as a 3rd liner in permanent marker as many on this site. Maybe sketch him in with a pencil at some point on a trial basis if he improves, but Bonk looks better than him right now, so let Plekanec center the 4th line until he shows something.

Have you been watching the games this season? My read on Plekanec and Rivet aren't just for the Toronto game. Plekanec has looked lost in the offensive zone since Game 1. Rivet has looked slow and vulnerable since Game 1.

I think Plekanec MIGHT be able to handle third line duty, but will have to show more of this 'playmaking' you speak of; at this point, I'm not as comfortable putting him down as a 3rd liner in permanent marker as many on this site. Maybe sketch him in with a pencil at some point on a trial basis if he improves, but Bonk looks better than him right now, so let Plekanec center the 4th line until he shows something.

That's fine but there's a difference between saying he should center the 4th line and between saying he's a career 4th liner.

edit. I forgot i made eye contact with Aubin for like 10 seconds, (he is the only person on Toronto i respect), it was so cool, during commercial breaks i would just stare at him when he came to the bench, a couple times he looked at me for ten seconds at a time, it was awsome

It means a restraining order is coming in the mail :lol:

It means a restraining order is coming in the mail :lol:

lol seriously... but man am i glad i missed the two first periods...seems i would of been pissed more then anything...way to go to get that point....sad tough to lose to the leafs...

nah........... just for a left curve & a reaction from my habs buddies...

it won't stay here long... just to see how people react to it.

Nice avatar choice - shows them young pups that we old dude's still can spot a sweet looking face in the crowd