Best Defensive Corp

umpalumpa55

Not in any specific order

Markov Souray

Boullion Dandenault

Streit Someone other than rivet or ninimaa :P

Ninimaa has potential to be a good defenseman...but his head is up his ass...i hope he gets traded

Rivet has heart...and hes a leader...but we can do without him...he seems lost all the time, except on a beakaway :blink: lol

Streit is awesome....he wouldnt be captain of a national team if he couldnt play hockey...and hes got confidence now :D

Boullion is amazing...our best defenseman. I know all u nay sayers will say markov is far and wide better....but from what ive seen the past 2 years...boullion is a defensive, offensive, hitting, skating machine with no mental troubles..i think markov will never meet his premier expectations

Markov- That being said...markov is still a great defenseman

Souray- His defensive lapses are greatly outweighed by the other things he does for this team, scoring and Leadership

Dandenault has fit in very well...i think he has finally adjusted and he knows how to be successfull everynight...may not be on the score sheet..but he is a solid, sound defenseman who i think can chip in at least 5 goals and 20 assists

Come next year....hopefully one of Emelin or Obyrne will be Ready to take the plunge in to the big show....or perhaps jancevski improves enough to earn a spot

Not in any specific order

Markov Souray

Boullion Dandenault

Streit Someone other than rivet or ninimaa :P

Ninimaa has potential to be a good defenseman...but his head is up his ass...i hope he gets traded

Rivet has heart...and hes a leader...but we can do without him...he seems lost all the time, except on a beakaway :blink: lol

Streit is awesome....he wouldnt be captain of a national team if he couldnt play hockey...and hes got confidence now :D

Boullion is amazing...our best defenseman. I know all u nay sayers will say markov is far and wide better....but from what ive seen the past 2 years...boullion is a defensive, offensive, hitting, skating machine with no mental troubles..i think markov will never meet his premier expectations

Markov- That being said...markov is still a great defenseman

Souray- His defensive lapses are greatly outweighed by the other things he does for this team, scoring and Leadership

Dandenault has fit in very well...i think he has finally adjusted and he knows how to be successfull everynight...may not be on the score sheet..but he is a solid, sound defenseman who i think can chip in at least 5 goals and 20 assists

Come next year....hopefully one of Emelin or Obyrne will be Ready to take the plunge in to the big show....or perhaps jancevski improves enough to earn a spot

Where's KOMISAREK?!?!?!?! :angry:

Ninimaa's a bit old to have "potential"

He was a very good defender, but if he doesn't step up his game this may very well be his last kick at the can in the NHL and next season he could be off to the Euro leagues before retiring.

I expect he will play better in the upcoming weeks and months - he's an impending UFA - wants to prove he's worth big dollars.

Where's KOMISAREK?!?!?!?! :angry:

yeah !!

bring back komi, bring back komi !! :angry:

will be our number 2 D man next year behind markov.

I'm inclined to cut both Rivet and Niinimaa some slack, at least for a while. Rivet has been atrocious so far this year, but was very good last year... so in other words, there's no reason to believe he's going through anything but a slump, albeit a rather long one. As for Niinimaa, he's trying to fit into a new team and someone mentioned in another thread that he's playing his wrong side (which I thought was a very good point). Remember how late into training camp he was acquired... it stands to reason that he may still be getting comfortable in Montreal.

I'll be curious to see how they play in the next 10 games...

Shit ya knew i was forgetting someone....so

Markov Komi

Souray Boullion

Dandenault Streit

They would be much better with rivet and ninnimaa out...

why would you put Streit out there when we have two $2milion dollar players being sratched?

Rivet- 2,470,000

Janne- 2,508,000

I'm inclined to cut both Rivet and Niinimaa some slack, at least for a while. Rivet has been atrocious so far this year, but was very good last year... so in other words, there's no reason to believe he's going through anything but a slump, albeit a rather long one. As for Niinimaa, he's trying to fit into a new team and someone mentioned in another thread that he's playing his wrong side (which I thought was a very good point). Remember how late into training camp he was acquired... it stands to reason that he may still be getting comfortable in Montreal.

I'll be curious to see how they play in the next 10 games...

I definitely agree with Option+. Lets have a bit of patience. Nonetheless, I definitely see markov, komisarek, bouillon and souray as our top four.

Even though I really like rivet, I have to admit hes been making some lapses, but with his work ethic he could turn it around, its not about heart. Streit is certainly much improved. Ninimaa may be playing on the wrong side which is certainly a factor.

All in all though, someone will go, I could see one of them (ninimaa ideally due to salary) being a throw in for a big trade acquisition.

I agree also with an earlier post, from whenever I've seen him play, Bouillon is a big help to the team and can do alot as a defensemen. I think he's underrated by those who dont watch the habs regularly.

By the way, I remember watching Emelin at the world juniors either last year or the year before and he was FABULOUS. I think McGuirre or MacKenzie even called him the best defensemen of the tournament.

I havent tracked his progression since then, but if his WJC performance was any indication he should be watched.

I say cut Niinimaa some slack - it is only 10 games into the season, he's on a new team and in a new conference so he didn't see much of these teams or players the last couple of years? You have to give a player moving across the league a bit of time to adapt to the game being played as there is a fair difference between teams in the East and the West. If he's still struggling 25-30 games into the year then that's a different story, but right now it is a time for patience.

As for Rivet - I've been saying for a long time that he has some serious brain cramps from time to time out there - many times guys were pointing the finger at Souray when in fact it was actually Rivet who'd left Souray hanging out to dry, and everyone blaming him for it! Suddenly everyone is starting to spot that?

Realistically though - does anyone get better sitting on the bench just because a few fans have no patience? Hitters don't work their way out of a slump sitting in the dugout and hockey players don't regain their touch sitting in the pressbox! Sometimes you have to just play through it? Patience is a virtue and a coach needs some when he has players who are struggling. In the end it is that very attribute that seperates the everyday fan from those coaching and managing at the NHL level.

Although I really have to wonder if there is anyone looking for a night of Brisebois & Traverse instead......

:wacko::blink::P

Spector was reporting the kings shopping Visnevsky.. id give him a go.

:hlogo:

yeah, we need a phisically asertive D-man

bouillon is a monster, i love him

most heart by far, and he's our best defensive d-man

i don't see us allowing 50 shots against toronto if he's in the lineup

Isomeone mentioned in another thread that he's playing his wrong side (which I thought was a very good point). Remember how late into training camp he was acquired... it stands to reason that he may still be getting comfortable in Montreal.

I wrote about that in the Leafs game thread.

Niinimaa was coming into his own nicely when playing on the left side with Dandy. But as soon as he got switched side, you could see he was having trouble with it. As soon as he'll go back to his natural side, you'll see an automatic improvement in his game.

To me the plan would be simple: try to sign Souray to a new contract during the season. If he dont want to sign and rather test the FA market, trade him at the deadline...

The weakest link on D is Rivet. Unlike Souray, Rivet doesn't bring enough offense to make up for his defensive shortcomings. Yes, he has character, leadership and all that... but on the ice, he's limited, and nowadays he's a liability. Problem is: that's the side we're the thinnest. Komisarek, Rivet, Dandeneault... then it falls all the way down to O'Byrne. On the other side we've got too many: Markov, Souray, Bouillon, Niinimaa, Streit, Cote, etc. If we could move one of the left side D for a right side D, we'd be in better position.

What I think will happen, is that once Dandy and Bouillon are back in the lineup, Carbo will dress 7 D's.

yeah, we need a phisically asertive D-man

Was that sarcasm?

Kings = Visnovsky = small offensive D...

Or were you thinking of Atlanta's Vishnevski?

As a Rivet fan, I can't say much, lol.

But, I can offer up the idea that Rivet is playing injured. You guys (likely) saw the shots he blocked in the first few games of the season. I'm wondering just how much that may still be affecting his game.

*shrug*

As a Rivet fan, I can't say much, lol.

But, I can offer up the idea that Rivet is playing injured. You guys (likely) saw the shots he blocked in the first few games of the season. I'm wondering just how much that may still be affecting his game.

*shrug*

I remember that game, on the PK, when he blocked a shot (same game Dandy got hurt) and I must say, Rivet was struggling before that game.

To me its just the same old Rivet. Ever since a couple of years ago when he stopped nailing guys in the boards like a poor man's Adam Foote, he's been so-so, with more lows than highs. He had a surprisingly good 2nd half last season and played well down the stretch but so far this season he's making all the wrong moves in his zone.

Sorry but i'll sound like a broken record. The D core we have has been bad for numerous years. Komi, Markov, Souray, Rivet, Dandy have all been here a while and as a group they are well below average.

Let's look at some facts, everyone is on Niinimaa, with some good reason, his plus minus is better then both Rivet and Souray. Points are nearly zero Souray has 11 and is still -4. Niinimaa gets no power play time. Souray has 2 even strength points, i beleive 1 more then Niinimaa.

Streit is a #7 on most other teams. Here he is great, figure that one out.

Komi and Markov are a good pair, Markov hasn't shown much offensively this year.

Don't even get me started on Rivet, people say he has been struggling and he can turn it around, well it's been poor play for years. Look at his numbers.

The new NHL has given more PP's, therefore more free points to players who play on the PP. I look more towards what people do even strength. This core group of D are average at best.

Kozed had a good point with Dandy and Niinimaa, i think they were the best pair we had until his injury.

Sorry but i'll sound like a broken record. The D core we have has been bad for numerous years. Komi, Markov, Souray, Rivet, Dandy have all been here a while and as a group they are well below average.

Let's look at some facts

Komi and Markov are a good pair, Markov hasn't shown much offensively this year.

Kozed had a good point with Dandy and Niinimaa, i think they were the best pair we had until his injury.

Markov has 9 points in 10 games. How much do you want him to "show" offensively?

Fair enough. I was hoping the Habs D in general would be jumping into the rush more this year. And it looked like Dandeneault was starting to do that before he went down. Now though? I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and have our D stay at home... we bad enough defensively at it is without guys being caught up ice.

I'm now focused on the D core .... we have one extra D and one is walking when all are going to be healthy Who could it be?

This is my rating after 10 games

Souray..........A

Komisarek.....B+

Markov..........B

Streit............B-

Rivet............C+

Niinima.........C-

Dandy..........B- (after three games)

Bouillon........NA

When Dandy is back I think the "Fin" is going to be a healthy scratch for a while I like the guy but I'm sure we agree we expected a bit more. like a number 4D now he's playing like a 7D.

Edited by CoRvInA

Yes option+, the main problem with these guys jumping in is they are too slow to make up for a mistake. (Dandy excluded). The other issue is they can't make crisp passes to get out of the zone reliably.

Man Corvina, i would love to take a class your taking. What do you need to do to get a D or an F?

Yes option+, the main problem with these guys jumping in is they are too slow to make up for a mistake. (Dandy excluded). The other issue is they can't make crisp passes to get out of the zone reliably.

Man Corvina, i would love to take a class your taking. What do you need to do to get a D or an F?

hehe... my score is relative to what they could do.... Souray gets an A not cause he is a top Defenseman (great defense and great offense)... but because he is playing at his top potential... the habs didnt trade for him for his defensive side they got him for his Bazooka shot... In my book its all relative... one should be scored or marked on hard work and how close are they to reaching their realistic potential.

if we had to compare to the top Dmen in the league then the highest score in our D core would be a C+

Edited by CoRvInA