New Strategy for Carbo

Oleg Petrov

After tonight's game, the Habs had scored 6 short-handed goals. That's impressive in itself, but even more so when you consider that they've only allowed 6 power-play goals. That means they score as many goals as they allow when they're one (or two, I guess) men short.

Now, when the Habs are on the power-play, they've scored 13 goals and allowed only one short-handed. So, if while playing 4 on 5, the other team takes a penalty, then the Habs should use their full 5 to make use of the power-play.

But when the other side has 5 players, the Canadiens should not ice 5 players. In such situations, the Habs have scored 26 and allowed 26, leaving a net result identical to when they have only 4 players on the ice. If you play just as well with 4 as with 5, it's better to only put 4 on so that everyone's legs are still fresh in the third period.

Now I know this is an absolutely ridiculous strategy, even if I would admire Carbo for using it for his sheer audacity. But the problem for me is to explain exactly why it's ridiculous...

Here is why it won't work..

First, at the moment the season is young and statistically, it won't stat this way.

Second, if they play the game 5 -4 the whole time, they will get way too tired. They are good on the PK because they give it there all for those short two minutes. They can't sustain that for 20 minutes.

I know you were kidding by the way. :)

or the option would be is to place that fifth player on the opposite blue line waiting for the puck!

techinically you leave the team with 4 inside your zone and you leave a cherry picker to shoot the puck too

5 on 5? They've been messing around trying to find the right combination for the 2nd line. I would say that once they have more than 2 full games playing together, which is the case now, even strength play should get a little stronger. I'm thrilled the special teams have played great, since there are still some kinks being worked out in 5-5 play.

or the option would be is to place that fifth player on the opposite blue line waiting for the puck!

techinically you leave the team with 4 inside your zone and you leave a cherry picker to shoot the puck too

RYDER!! RYDER!!

He'll be perfect for that job and it will boost his ice time :D

Something I thought of last year is this...

there's a faceoff in your zone...

you put 4 players on the ice...

you start the play normally, regardless of who wins the faceoff...

once you get the puck, you shoot it down the ice...

the 5th skater jumps off the bench and goes in on a breakaway...

if done quickly, the other team might not even notice you only have 4 players...

I know it'll never happen but it would be an amazing play.

if done quickly, the other team might not even notice you only have 4 players...

gotta be a freakin fast skater... wouldnt it be better he's already skating at a cruising speed around the neutral zone where he'll reach top speed faster than just jumping out of the bench at 0 km/h?

Have you watched many games this season? They have too much trouble clearing the zone sometimes for them to worry about hitting a guy coming off the bench. And if were to work, the guy would have to come off the bench as soon as his teammates got possession of the puck, in order to give the breaking player enough momentum to have a chance at the breakaway.

Sammy could do it. Ryder could probably do it if he sat on the very end of the bench.

well... it's already wrong when u say *put 4 guys on the ice* coz we need aebi or huet in front of the net right??? so it's 5 guys on the ice ;)

well... i think that it's a bonus for us to scored while we r killing penalty... the most important thing is to limit the opponent to take advantage of the situation...

it's more tiring for the guys to play during the PK... not only the goalie but also for the other 4 players... we've been lucky since the beginning of the season (to score short handed goals) some penalties were habs' fault... but there a FEW (a lot!!!!) that i still have a HUGE doubt about the referees' call...

our PK units (duo) r very effective...

- bégin & plekanec

- bonk & johnson

- koivu & higgins

as long as we can clear the zone so the next unit can get on the ice... :P

Here is why it won't work..

First, at the moment the season is young and statistically, it won't stat this way.

Second, if they play the game 5 -4 the whole time, they will get way too tired. They are good on the PK because they give it there all for those short two minutes. They can't sustain that for 20 minutes.

I know you were kidding by the way. :)

Thats why I think they should go 5 on 4 during practice. Build up stamina.

Have you watched many games this season? They have too much trouble clearing the zone sometimes for them to worry about hitting a guy coming off the bench. And if were to work, the guy would have to come off the bench as soon as his teammates got possession of the puck, in order to give the breaking player enough momentum to have a chance at the breakaway.

Sammy could do it. Ryder could probably do it if he sat on the very end of the bench.

I wasn't saying that it was a serious suggestion. Just a fun idea.

But I don't think that it's as hard as you think. We don't have to pass it tape-to-tape with the 5th man - we just shoot it past the 2 d-men on our blueline and then our forwrad has got all the tie in the world to chase the puck and go in alone on the goalie. Especially if it's Samsonov or Perezhogin.