OHL vs Russians

revvvrob

just got back from the game at the GM Centre in Oshawa.

if you get a chance to watch the game - particularly the fight with less than 5 seconds remaining - it's certainly worth it!

nothing like seeing a Russian player pick up a stick to try and get a Canadian - then start fighting with the linesman - then start fighting with the Ref.

don't know how it will play on TV - but it was sure entertaining to see it live!

You mean a russian player threw punches to a referee??!

yep - punches at a linesman when the linesman noticed the player had picked up a previously discarded hockey stick and was about to run after Chris Stewart or Steve Downie. the linesman forcefully tackled the player and the player was fighting back. later on another player started shoving the referee and was looking to fight the ref.

just got back from the game at the GM Centre in Oshawa.

if you get a chance to watch the game - particularly the fight with less than 5 seconds remaining - it's certainly worth it!

nothing like seeing a Russian player pick up a stick to try and get a Canadian - then start fighting with the linesman - then start fighting with the Ref.

don't know how it will play on TV - but it was sure entertaining to see it live!

Yeah, I was watching on RSN. In fact, Brian (Dlbalr) and I were talking about it. For a guy who went down 30 seconds earlier, Zubraev sure got back on the ice quicky to fight the ref. As for that number 6, he was pusing the ref! :lol: That was real Russain-Canadian hockey though.

Heyyy! Great re-cap mahn, hehe. Hopefully I can find a few clips of that.

Was Carey Price in nets?

I am quite sure Carey will be starting tomorrow on team WHL.

Heyyy! Great re-cap mahn, hehe. Hopefully I can find a few clips of that.

Was Carey Price in nets?

Mason from London was in net.

I saw it on Sportsnet. I was kind of hoping one of the Russians would clobber Downie (with a fist, not a stick) after needlessly running the Russian defenceman with 2 seconds left (or whatever it was). Total cheap shot. The Russian player kind of lost it after that - glad nobody got seriously hurt.

I saw it on Sportsnet. I was kind of hoping one of the Russians would clobber Downie (with a fist, not a stick) after needlessly running the Russian defenceman with 2 seconds left (or whatever it was). Total cheap shot. The Russian player kind of lost it after that - glad nobody got seriously hurt.

i think Downie was getting 'revenge' because of the incident that happened with 9 minutes left in the game when O'Marra tried to hit a Russian who then turtled so that O'Marra flipped over him causing his head to hit the ice and his skate to hit (and break) the glass --- i know a lot of OHLers were real upset about the turtling-tactic the Russians were using to avoid getting hit.

watching the Downie hit live, i thought it was clean ..... they didn't show replays :(

watching the Downie hit live, i thought it was clean ..... they didn't show replays :(

It was a 'clean' hit in that he didn't raise his elbows or stick, but I considered it a cheap shot because the defenceman hadn't touched the puck (it went right by him, but Downie had lots of time to pull up), and just the overall circumstance of running someone with basically no time remaining, in the Russian zone, when they were up 4-3. I didn't see very much of the game, so perhaps you're correct that there were prior events that led to it.