Keep us as is.

koivu-11

I disagree with most of you. It is true that right now nothing is broken. But sometimes things get broken when it's not in our control. What the heck do we do if Koivu goes down with a hugh injury which he tends to do anually??? Can anyone look me in the eye and tell me we will go anywhere with Plekanec as our first line center. We have depth in every position except center. Therefore we should trade depth players like Dandenault, Abeischer, Perezhogin, Johnson, Begin, Murray, Downey, if it means getting a good center. That way, the next time Koivu goes down to an injury, we don't write off our season.

Some teams will be in '' rescue'' mode soon and they will be ready to give much more than a team in

'' preventive'' mode like ours or most any other teams in this league.

A mid-season trade to obtain a steady going pointers playing center would cost a team the like of Perezhogin and Kostsitsyn bunch together.........it would be pure insanity for us.......but for Toronto 9th or 10th in the East who just lost Peca for long term injurie......they might consider making this costly move.

I disagree with most of you. It is true that right now nothing is broken. But sometimes things get broken when it's not in our control. What the heck do we do if Koivu goes down with a hugh injury which he tends to do anually??? Can anyone look me in the eye and tell me we will go anywhere with Plekanec as our first line center. We have depth in every position except center. Therefore we should trade depth players like Dandenault, Abeischer, Perezhogin, Johnson, Begin, Murray, Downey, if it means getting a good center. That way, the next time Koivu goes down to an injury, we don't write off our season.

If he goes down thats one thing...im talking if things stay as is. Because things are as is and people want Niinima gone, or some exensive guys gone Samsonov ect...just why tamper with something good now?

I keep hearing " who will get delt " " we need a second line center " uhhh i don't know am i the only one that thinks that this team is amazing exactly how it is.... everyone doing their job and everyone is doing what their sapose to.

Anyone els with me on this?

Yep, I agree with you. People can stop saying we need to make a big package to acquire a top centerman. We are doing very very very well as is. Making a trade monster trade wouldn't only be a risk - it would be a stupid risk and Gainey is not a stupid man. We'll keep the core of this team together unless someone suffers a major injury.

@PurpleHills: do you really consider Dandenault, and especially Johnson and Perezhogin depth players?

Yep, I agree with you. People can stop saying we need to make a big package to acquire a top centerman. We are doing very very very well as is. Making a trade monster trade wouldn't only be a risk - it would be a stupid risk and Gainey is not a stupid man. We'll keep the core of this team together unless someone suffers a major injury.

@PurpleHills: do you really consider Dandenault, and especially Johnson and Perezhogin depth players?

and this is the bottom-line, bth... gainey is NOT a stupid man.

GO :hlogo: GO!

I am no longer a fan of keeping this team as is. I was before because I though that Lapierre's play would really make Murray better but it has not. Lapierre needs to rejoin this club and Murray needs to go. It is not a big move but one that HAS TO BE MADE VERY SOON.

I am no longer a fan of keeping this team as is. I was before because I though that Lapierre's play would really make Murray better but it has not. Lapierre needs to rejoin this club and Murray needs to go. It is not a big move but one that HAS TO BE MADE VERY SOON.

Well thats not really much of a change lol as like its an inside the club thing and the team was rolling better with out murray

Now that the winning streak has stopped some people will maybe see clear again. That is being sober.

That keep us as is with no second line center.

That is Samsonov playing like a ghost.

That about it for me ,that does not seem too unrealistic.

**A money player as often a no trade clause, he will choose where he wants to be traded. That why it's good to be a contender ...Dark Finlander.

The winning streak is over, and i still think we're fine as it is (at least in terms of major changes - Recalling Lapierre is something i would expect)

Yes we don't have perfect depth in absolutely every position, but no team can be perfect. I have a hunch Bob has an ace up his sleeve, but i don't think we'll see any of that just yet.

5W, 1L in last 6. EVERYBODY PANIC!!

The post was started before last nights game, my comments are what i've seen as a team for the year. They clearly need an upgrade at the second line center, as people have pointed out, if Koivu goes down the Habs are done. I like Pleks but with Bonk, they emergence of Lappiere, Chipchura in the wings, they can add him to a deal to get better.

The defense needs an upgrade IMO, They are too slow as a group, don't win enough 1 on 1 battles and have a hard time clearing the zone.

When the goalie isn't the number 1 star for the habs, they ahave a hard time winning.

given what Maxim Lapierre showed during his call-up, I think he warrants an audition in the second line center role before we look at a trade.

I realize that Higgins is a scoring machine, and a big conpliment to the first line, but he was also drafted as a centre, and from what I understand, played most of his hockey as a centre. With Lats on the scoring line and Higgins at 2nd line centre, Max could play on the 3rd or 4th line. I would not try to play Max as a 2nd line centre.

Now that the winning streak has stopped some people will maybe see clear again. That is being sober.

That keep us as is with no second line center.

That is Samsonov playing like a ghost.

That about it for me ,that does not seem too unrealistic.

**A money player as often a no trade clause, he will choose where he wants to be traded. That why it's good to be a contender ...Dark Finlander.

Samsonov is not playing like a ghost and even if he was, you wouldn't be able to judge him right? Because he has no second line center on his line that we desperately need.

No, I still think we're fine the way we are.

I still say leave things the way they are. As for Lapierre. I suspect that shortly after the trade freeze he will return. Murray will be gone.

It's amazing that we speculate. We need this or that. Bob will make that move but "expect the unexpected"

Were good, Samsonov is playing like no ghost...if you watch him hes doing a lot, maybe not putting the pucks in the net but doing other little things. Fighting for pucks, creating chances, using his speed, creating open ice while he dekes 1 or 2 players. Hes doing good i have no problem with him in the team.

Samsonov is playing like no ghost...

Gainey said to the media when he signed Sammy that he didn't expect him to get with the system and flow until February. He admitted that Sammy would need to adjust to the new environment. But, why listen to Bob? Let's just trade Sammy now :glare:

All of this conjecture is academic to me in a way. Look at the whopper trades that have happened. Nothing too huge is going on. Robitaille for York? The Zhitnik deal? It doesn't seem to be helping Philly.

The potential to make the right deal with the cap structures the way they are is very difficult.

OK, so let me get this straight. We need to trade for a center we need NOW without screwing ourselves royally and also need to find a trade partner where we can get the right offer?

IMO: When Bob makes the deal we will all be pleased. Please don't be a bummer if it doesn't happen when we might want it to.

Id like to send out this song to all the Gainey detractors; You Can't Always Get What You Want by the Rolling Stones.

But if you try sometimes well you just might find

You get what you need

:hlogo:

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Gainey said to the media when he signed Sammy that he didn't expect him to get with the system and flow until February. He admitted that Sammy would need to adjust to the new environment. But, why listen to Bob? Let's just trade Sammy now :glare:

All of this conjecture is academic to me in a way. Look at the whopper trades that have happened. Nothing too huge is going on. Robitaille for York? The Zhitnik deal? It doesn't seem to be helping Philly.

The potential to make the right deal with the cap structures the way they are is very difficult.

OK, so let me get this straight. We need to trade for a center we need NOW without screwing ourselves royally and also need to find a trade partner where we can get the right offer?

IMO: When Bob makes the deal we will all be pleased. Please don't be a bummer if it doesn't happen when we might want it to.

Id like to send out this song to all the Gainey detractors; You Can't Always Get What You Want by the Rolling Stones.

But if you try sometimes well you just might find

You get what you need

:hlogo:

Nice post DUDE

After reading all the posts and thoughts on this topic; I must say that I agree with many of the points expressed here. And I must admit that although I had very high hopes for our beloved Canadiens this season. Not in my wildest imaginations did I expect this group to pull together as a team so quickly;

I'm impressed by the immense work ethic that the coaching staff has instilled. Lets pray that we come out of the gate after the christmas break and take over first spot in the league. Its been a long time coming but I for one am very thankful for this years edition of our Canadiens.

I've always been proud to be a Canadiens Fan; this Christmas its specially true.

Merry Christmas to all and only the best in the new Year!

GHG!

Edited by Chips

Johnson is a great addition and Perezhogin is so good that he would probably be a second line winger on other teams. What I am saying is on the wings we have depth. And because of Abeischer we have depth at goaltending. So weather I name them depth players or superstars is besides the point. What I am saying is these are the kinds of players that other teams would consider making a move for. You got to give a little to get little right? I would hate to see Perezhogin leave, but we need a second line center, there is no question about it.

Gainey is not a stupid man I agree. He's mostly responsible for making the team as deep as it is right now. What you need to know is that he will jump at his first opportunity he gets to get a good center, even if it means giving guys up like the ones I mentioned. The only reason he hasn't done so already is because the right opportunity has not presented itself. He's smart but he's also patient.

Trading Perezhogin for a 2nd line centre would be a good move only if he were undercontract for a few more years. Perezhogin has the potential to be a point per game, gamebreaking player, he has impressive speed and can make great moves at top speed which is something many players can not do. But my guess is that Perzhogin is with the Canadiens for at least 3-5 more years.

Trading Perezhogin for a 2nd line centre would be a good move only if he were undercontract for a few more years. Perezhogin has the potential to be a point per game, gamebreaking player, he has impressive speed and can make great moves at top speed which is something many players can not do. But my guess is that Perzhogin is with the Canadiens for at least 3-5 more years.

I hope so. Look at his +/-. Those are some kick-ass stats for a guy his age.

You forgot to mention that he's quite physical as well and is fully willing to go into the corners.

Keep us as is? Absolutely.

Trades have high transaction costs: you can never predict what's going to happen, or how long it will take for things to settle down. Remember the Kovalev acquisition, and how much of a distraction it was when a former Art Ross contender couldn't get a point in a Habs jersey. That became the whole story every game.

With the exception of Koivu, I feel like the Habs are ready for any injury - including Cristo. How crazy was it that Higgins went down and the Canadiens didn't blink? Point-per-game, leading scorer - and they didn't miss a beat. And it may even be true for Koivu, as well. Latendresse is making photocopies on the fourth line, waiting for a vacancy, like a Higgins shift to centre to replace Saku. Lapierre is dressed in Armani waiting to fry burgers on the fourth.

Re the second-line centre...I think giving Higgins some C time at this stage in the season would be a great experiment, particularly with a view to making him adaptable should injuries strike later on, but Carbo has to wait until the team loses a few to not be an idiot. If the team's winning, you can't start messing around with lines too much.

Also it's real early to be giving up on the second line as is. I think Plekanec has immense talent, and I think Carbo and Gainey think the same thing, and that they're happy to have put up with mediocre production from that line until now and even for another couple of months if it means that suddenly that line catches fire sometime around the all-star break; even if this entire season is chalked up to giving Plekanec the ice time to develop into the offensive monster he'll be in two years, it's good to have him in the spot if it doesn't mean the team is losing too often. At worst, you'll know he belongs in Bonk's spot when Bonk is not re-signed at year's end. I really think these considerations are more important than winning more games, as they'll make more of a difference in the playoffs than whether you finished first or sixth.

Lastly, anyone who wants to trade Perezhogin is koo-koo.

That's really pushing it...

I don't think so...all Perezhogin needs is a few more years to develope his skills and on ice play, Remember Afinogenov just started becoming big and known a year or 2 ago..Perez is 23-24 Afino is 27 so give it time untill Perez is on the second line.