Only 2 kinds of seasons

johnnyhasbeen

Ones in which we win the cup and failures. This one ain't looking good. And don't any of you give me that we had a good year crap, this ain't Toronto. No cup means the boys failed. This is how I believe Gainey feels and how I feel as a fan.

:hlogo:

i tell myself that if this is a rebuilding year I can't want to see the finished product. Oh yeah, please sign kovalev!

Also, between whatever new cba they come up with, ther resurgence of the CH assuring a lot more sellouts next season, playoff income, a stronger canadian dollar, and potentially sagging cash flows for american teams I have a lot of faith in the habs. We should be able to make a good move or two in the offseason.

[Edited on 4/29/2004 by simonus]

By saying it was a failure not winning the cup, I am simply stating that if you think back over the last 20 years the only ones that matter were the cups, Yes we do have a great young team here but it has been too long without a cup. This is Montreal and we win cups, not first rounds. That is what the historic club is about, not a good year when you look at it that way.

:hlogo::(

I agree, as a Montreal fan not winning the Cup is a failed Season. We're all waiting for the days that we go into every season as Cup favorites and go to at least the third round every year...With the Core of young players, and great management the team has, i dont think we'll have to wait much longer!...

You guys all have to agree though, that this was a suprising season in many ways....Who ever thought that Ribeiro would lead the team in points?? Who thought Michael Ryder would even make the team, let alone become a Calder Trophy nominee and finish second in team scoring??? Who thought Sheldon Souray would emerge as an All Star Defenceman??? and Who Thought we would have a Superstar player like Kovalev to help us in the Playoffs???

If someone would have approached me and said either one of those things would happen before the season started, I would have laughed my ass off!!!....

Now that the Season is over its nice to look back and realize how stupid the Montreal Canadiens once again made those so called professional analyst look!!! :-^

We did make the Playoffs, and once again defied all odds by knocking off one of the easts top seeds, before running out of gas again in the 2nd round....

Hats off to the 2003-2004 Montreal Canadiens :clap:

:ghg::ghg::ghg::ghg:

[Edited on 2004/4/30 by Bonavistaman11]

For those of you who consider this season a failure:

WAKE UP!

This is 2004, not the 40's, 50's, 60's, or 70's. The days when Montreal could expect to win many cups a decade are over and they won't be back until the labour situation is improved.

May I remind you

1. that many picked this team not only to miss the playoffs, but also to be out of contention by Christmas!

2. that we were all happy that they made the playoffs

3. that this team accomplished what NONE of the great dynasty teams in the past had done and came back from a 3-1 deficit to win a series.

4. that with a few breaks or with Theo outplaying the Bulin Wall even for one complete game this series would still be going.

5. that Koivu played the entire playoffs with broken ribs, torn cartiledge and a bruised lung. Think about what Big??!! Joe Thorton did with his rib injury

6. Imagine what this young team will be able to do with a year's more experience and another season of BG's adjustments

Last and finally: Knock off the trashing of the team collectivelly or individually and be PROUD of the Habs. They may have lost but they went down fighting. If you want to moan about failure go become a fan of the Senators.

:hlogo: FOREVER

PMAC

:ghg:

[Edited on 2004/4/30 by PMAC]

Originally posted by PMAC

For those of you who consider this season a failure:  

WAKE UP!

This is 2004, not the 40's, 50's, 60's, or 70's. The days when Montreal could expect to win many cups a decade are over and they won't be back until the labour situation is improved.

May I remind you  

1. that many picked this team not only to miss the playoffs, but also to be out of contention by Christmas!

2. that we were all happy that they made the playoffs

3. that this team accomplished what NONE of the great dynasty teams in the past had done and came back from a 3-1 deficit to win a series.  

4. that with a few breaks or with Theo outplaying the Bulin Wall even for one complete game this series would still be going.

5. that Koivu played the entire playoffs with broken ribs, torn cartiledge and a bruised lung. Think about what Big??!! Joe Thorton did with his rib injury

6. Imagine what this young team will be able to do with a year's more experience and another season of BG's adjustments  

Last and finally: Knock off the trashing of the team collectivelly or individually and be PROUD of the Habs. They may have lost but they went down fighting. If you want to moan about failure go become a fan of the Senators.

:hlogo: FOREVER

PMAC

[Edited on 2004/4/30 by PMAC]

I don't think anyone is bashing the team!

We are all proud as shit of what the Habs have done.

I think the point of this thread is simply what it says. We either win the cup or we don't.

Nobody sets their top goal in life just to be better than expected! We want to win.

I think everyone on this board is heart broken but we all still LOVE our Habs.

I can't wait till October....

I think that saying the season was a failure is bashing the team. Of course most people are proud of the team and its accomplishments; however, it is just not realistic to expect a Stanley Cup every season. I am never happy when the Habs lose, but I think that for a rebulding season the team has done remarkably well.

I know that everyone has a different opinion and thats fine. I may have made my point a little too strongly, but when you are talking about failure remember the last five years and consider what failure really is.

:hlogo: PMAC

Most figured on April 29th, the Habs would be preparing to draft Alexander Ovechkin, not still in the playoffs. It's dissipointing because of the way they played against Boston. After that great comeback, we thought maybe it was destiny but it's not. This is a young team, a good team but not great. It needs tinkering, but this is how you become a Cup contender. Build on each year, strive to get better. We have the youth to do it, the goalie to do it. We just need to fix up our D and get rid of some junk upfront.

Who knows, Perez could step in next year and have a Ryder-like year and maybe than we'll go even further.

First things first, re-sign Kovalev.

I think the team is heading in the right direction...we have loads of depth, loads of good young prospects(more then a couple are blue chip prospects too) and we've got a good core at key positions. Hopefully this year is just the first of a long succession of playoff appearances that will culminate in a few more engravings on Lord Stanleys Cup.

I think we can finally say with a certainty that this team is no longer "sliding down". We finally seem to have a clear direction(I think AS started it well through the drafts and that Gainey is continuing it organizationally and through smart personnel decisions)

I think it was a great season ... of course they were swept (by a better team :P), but all the young guys on the team will learn from these mistakes and will come back even better next year. ;)

So I would thank the whole HabsWorld.net crew for the great coverage of this season ... you wrote lot's of great articles and it was always a pleasure to read it. Keep on working, we'll see us next season. :clap: :/)

I totally disagree. It's real hard to win the cup and you aren't going to do it often in this day and age no matter what team you are. If dynasties were easier to put together, I'd be more than inclined to agree.

Besides, you need to build your way towards it. They haven't even been able to do that in a decade until now. Be satisfied because this past season is a sign (though not full-proof) that a return to the promised land is being set up for the red, white and blue.

i tell myself that if this is a rebuilding year I can't want to see the finished product.  

The Habs don't rebuild, they reload. Ribeiro, Ryder, Kovalev are examples.

I agree, as a Montreal fan not winning the Cup is a failed Season.

It's a failed post-season. The season was a success because the Habs made the playoffs.