Regular Season Wrap-up

Trizzak

Got a few days before the playoffs, so why not reflect on the regular season?

The good:

October.

Another 30+ goals for Pacioretty, That's 4 seasons in a row (5 straight if you don't count truncated seasons)

Carey Price. 

Lord Byron scoring 22 goals. 

Lehkonen has the most goals (18) by a rookie since Chris Higgins in 2005 (23).

Old Man Markov is still a top 4 d-man.

Philip Danault's rapid ascension up the depth chart.

Jeff Petry quietly had a career high in points. 

The bad:

Bergevin's deadline acquisitions combined for 6 points (this is generously including 2 points from Benn as a "deadline" acquisition.)

That giant, gaping chasm in talent between or #3 and #4 defensemen.

Emelin.

The ugly:

February.

Career low in points from $6 million dollar man Plekanec.

Almost a career low in points from Gallagher, but by far his worst season if you go by PPG or just... ya know... watching. 

Please post your agreements, disagreements, or anything that this post missed. 

I agree with your points above. Gallagher was the biggest negative surprise of the season for me, but he's been great down the stretch, so that's what counts.

I'd add that the ongoing erraticism of Galchenyuk can be considered a negative. The problem may be less Galy than the coaching/organizational response to him. But whichever it is, the fact that the team is STILL tying to figure out what Galchenyuk's role is and whether he can be counted upon, is frustrating. Maybe even ominous, both for the playoff's and for the kid's long-term future with the organization.

To me, the primary fact about this season is that it marks a return to the form of 2014-15: in other words, the 'real' Bergevin Canadiens, with Carey Price as opposed to a backup in nets. Actually, the team had better overall results in 2014-15 (110 pts vs 103), but everyone has allowed last season's disaster to cloud their overall assessment of this group. The proper comparison is not with the group that had no goalie (2016) but with the group that did (2015).

In relation to the 2015 club, we've basically swapped core pieces. Radulov was added (yay!) but Plekanec subtracted himself (boo!); Weber represents a lateral move relative to Subban. It's still a team that relies on getting 'just enough' offence to allow its superior goaltending to make the difference (a strategy that should work in the playoffs until we play a team with a goalie whose game approaches that of Price).

Where the team does look stronger than that group is, first of all, at the bottom end. We have many more players (Shaw first on this list) that are capable of crashing around and playing the clutch-and-grab style that always defines the playoffs, when the idiot referees all spontaneously decide to leave their whistles up their arses. Secondly, the team is more battle-hardened, having added both Cup experience in Shaw and King - and Julien - and most importantly by having endured its own internal growing pains over the years.

So basically it's the 2015 team with a better bottom end and more experience. The result was a good, strong season, just what you'd expect from a second-tier contender. But it also means that the team will ultimately be judged NOT by the regular season but by the playoffs. Certainly that's all I give a crap about at this point.

Gallagher busting up same hand a 2nd time, was just a real freak occurrence and he seemed to really struggle rehabbing.

Markov is still one smart & productive d-man and 1/2 a goal more when he is in the lineup vs being out, shows just how important he is to the team still.

Koivu was correct on his younger countryman.

Pacioretty's 2nd season as Captain was just a tad better than last one.

Weber's PP goals and 13th best PP under Muller was an improvement at least.

it's been a bit of an up and down season.

IMO There were/are three "good" things 1. getting rid of MT and replacing him with CJ ..2) Radulov  3) Arturi ...with honourable mention to Danault- who has earned every penny he makes

The bad:  not landing a #1 C...

Considering the train wreck that last season was, it's pretty remarkable that this group was able to put that behind them and win the division. Price didn't have to be a Hart winner, Weber didn't have to be a Norris winner, Galchenyuk was injured for awhile, Plekanec and Gallagher were invisible and Therrien got fired....but yet they still persevered. I am thinking these guys are a team to be reckoned with in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, illWill said:

Considering the train wreck that last season was, it's pretty remarkable that this group was able to put that behind them and win the division. Price didn't have to be a Hart winner, Weber didn't have to be a Norris winner, Galchenyuk was injured for awhile, Plekanec and Gallagher were invisible and Therrien got fired....but yet they still persevered. I am thinking these guys are a team to be reckoned with in the playoffs. 

Good post man.

I believe in this group.

1 hour ago, illWill said:

I agree that this team should do some damage in the playoffs, but I don't see what's so 'remarkable' about the improvement from last year. This group had Carey Price, that group didn't. Nothing remarkable about returning to normal.

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree that this team should do some damage in the playoffs, but I don't see what's so 'remarkable' about the improvement from last year. This group had Carey Price, that group didn't. Nothing remarkable about returning to normal.

A team doesn't go from 22nd to 7th in the league because of one player, even if his name is Carey Price. Ottawa didn't have a problem staying afloat with Mike Condon as a starter for most of the year. Like I mentioned, the team of 14-15 had an ultra rare Hart trophy performance from a goaltender that got them to where they were, the 16-17 Habs did not get that same performance. The results this season were from a total team effort, from top to bottom, management included. 

35 minutes ago, illWill said:

A team doesn't go from 22nd to 7th in the league because of one player, even if his name is Carey Price. Ottawa didn't have a problem staying afloat with Mike Condon as a starter for most of the year. Like I mentioned, the team of 14-15 had an ultra rare Hart trophy performance from a goaltender that got them to where they were, the 16-17 Habs did not get that same performance. The results this season were from a total team effort, from top to bottom, management included. 

Ottawa didn't have le genius as its coach

13 hours ago, illWill said:

There is a big difference between a save % of .903 (Condon last year) and .914 (Condon this year). The kid learned from his baptism of fire and came back stronger.

2015 was not aberrant for this group; 2016 was.

2014 46 wins

2015 50 wins

2016 38 wins

2017 47 wins

Which is the outlier? It's obvious. What was the main variable? Goaltending.

There is nothing surprising or incredibly impressive in regression to the mean.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

"Nothing remarkable about returning to normal."

Speak for yourself, eh! 

My family's fondest faint hope for me. :wacko: