The first cuts aren't the deepest

shortcat1

RDS.ca announced the first training camp cuts.

They are:

Jimmy Bonneau, Maxim Lapierre, Francis Lemieux, Cory Urquhart, Duncan Milroy, Jeff Paul, Jaroslav Halak and James Sanford.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/188187.html

[Edited on 21-9-05 by HABS Fan Nr.1]

I take it this probably means that time has run out on a guy like Duncan Milroy (a 2001 second rounder) with the Habs. He has got to be out of the teams's radar after failing to make it past the first cuts 4 years after beeing drafted.

Originally posted by Rooster

I take it this probably means that time has run out on a guy like Duncan Milroy (a 2001 second rounder) with the Habs. He has got to be out of the teams's radar after failing to make it past the first cuts 4 years after beeing drafted.

Doesn't look good, does it? There's only so much room for these guys on the payroll/roster because of the newer ones coming up.

By the way, Sanford was acquired as a free agent in 2004.

Originally posted by Rooster

Not really, it just means he's still got some work to do.

see Michael Ryder

I think we have to realize that in the case of Milroy, we're talking about a guy who struggled to find any ice time with the Dogs two years back, and last year was really his first full pro season. Will he be a perennial all-star? Probably not. But to say that he's out of it and not in the long-term plans is perhaps going a little far. He's a smaller player who probably needs a little more development time, and the faster he gets to the Dogs, the more time he has.

The case of Urquhart bothers me a little more. On the one hand, he's in a similar situation to Milroy in that he's still young and still needs to develop. However, the fact that he has great size and seems to be in the mould of the Habs player that Gainey would like makes me wonder. I would have much preferred he stayed with the big boys for another few days at least, and cutting him off with Milroy at the first cut might indicate a lack of progress.

Milroy, as I see it, needs all the time he can get with the Dogs, especially since he lost almost a whole year on the bench with them. Urquhart, on the other hand, would have been one of my picks to go a little later into camp with the Habs. I feel he's more a disappointment.

However, getting them both down quickly is probably also in their best interests, despite any of our preferences otherwise. They need to consistently play and, hopefully, dominate at a lower level, and then take the next step. I would suggest that next year will be more a make-or-break for Milroy, and Urquhart will be looked at to stay deep into camp.

Colin

Edit commentary: What does it say to Milroy, but more specifically to Urquhart, that Locke stays in camp longer than either one? In fact, what does it say about Locke's dedication that he's made it to at least the second cut?

[Edited on 2005/9/19 by Guy!]

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

"the first cuts aren't the deepest"

good pun shorts!

I try, don't I, Fozzy Bear... (Yes dear, you certainly do.) Do I do well sometimes Fozzy Bear? (Yes dear, you certainly do.) Thanks Fozzy Bear. (You're certainly welcome, dear.) I love you Fozzy Bear. (I certainly love you too, dear.) ;););)

How old is Milroy? 21, 22? That's still too early to give up on a player. Same goes for Urqhart (and Lapierre, for that matter). Hossa & Hainsey are older than both and are still not full-fledged NHLers. Neither was Ryder at the same age.

The key is progress and work. As long as a player is progressing and showing some signs that he's willing to work on his game, its not that big a deal if they're cut early.

[Edited on 20-9-2005 by ap79]

Originally posted by ap79

Neither was Ryder at the ame age.

The key is progress and work. As long as a player is progressing and showing some signs that he's willing to work on his game, its not that big a deal if they're cut early.

I'll play the obnoxious one here. For some of them, try telling them that. For all of the Ryders in the world, there's many more who are discouraged and fade away. Let's hope for Milroy and the others that they will keep their vision before them. In reality, it's very difficult to do so. One needs lots of strength, lots of support and lots of faith that whatever happens, it can be tackled successfully. Still, it's not easy.

Originally posted by The Saint

You know, sometimes i don't know if it's Shortcat or Fozzy, Fozzy or Shortcat...you two you crazy kids, always with the thoughtful big picture insight...

Wukka, wukka, wukka...;););)

Originally posted by shortcat1
Originally posted by ap79

Neither was Ryder at the ame age.

I'll play the obnoxious one here. For some of them, try telling them that. For all of the Ryders in the world, there's many more who are discouraged and fade away. Let's hope for Milroy and the others that they will keep their vision before them. In reality, it's very difficult to do so. One needs lots of strength, lots of support and lots of faith that whatever happens, it can be tackled successfully. Still, it's not easy.

Yeah, but they're career hockey players. Completely different context than the rest of us normal folks. They've had to deal with competition, cuts & movements for (basically) all their lives. Just think of Sidney Crosby. Just 17 yrs old and getting mediatic attention like crazy. You think "OMG, he's just 17!" but then you step back and realize its been like this for him ever since he's like 7 yrs old.

Not saying Milroy & Urqhart & etc dont get dissapointed when sent down, but I think they can (or at least should) be able to handle it with relative ease.

[Edited on 20-9-2005 by ap79]

Yeah...too early to write these guys off yet, though I agree w GUY that next year is more critical for Milroy for sure. Ineresting that no D men were in this group yet....well I guess Sanford was .... but I'm surprised Archer survived the first cut. And I wouldn't be pencilling in Danis in Mtl quite yet like some folks seem to be.

I agree with those who are not ready to write off Milroy, he might surprise us yet. I'm a little surprised that Locke is still there, given that there are so many youngsters battling for spots in camp.

I hope that Bonneau continues his rapid improvement in the AHL.

Does Ivanaas have a shot at making the roster?

What a Pleanak(sp) havent heard much about him so far?

Quote from PMAC:

I agree with those who are not ready to write off Milroy, he might surprise us yet. I'm a little surprised that Locke is still there, given that there are so many youngsters battling for spots in camp.

Or

I could be wrong. I didnt like the sound of Julien' quote in the Gazette:

"Then there was Duncan Milroy, who was a disappointment for head coach Claude Julien.

"He's had two years of pro experience and we hoped that he would show us more," Julien said. "We told these guys that if they wanted to play in an exhibition game,we had to see something in the intra-squad scrimmages. Milroy was one of those guys we didn't see out there."

Originally posted by HABS Fan Nr.1

I suppose Price will be heading back to Tri-City and Michaud, Halak and an Oilers goalie will fight for the 2 available AHL spots.

Price as i read here was at such a high level that he already was better than Halak. He was competing with Danis. But probably Danis will be the second goalie for the habs, and later on the first one in Hamilton. I know Price is young, but he should play at the highest level. And if he does a outstanding job in camp he deserves a spot @ hamilton. Only problem is that the Oilers will also have a Goalie there. (we got a lot of G talent :D) Isn't Price now our 4th Goalie behind Theo/Huet/Danis?

And before Halak and Michaud, oh well. Time will tell.......

Originally posted by Dutch_Habs_Fan

I know Price is young, but he should play at the highest level. And if he does a outstanding job in camp he deserves a spot @ hamilton.

Dutch, I don't believe Price can play the season in Hamilton. At his age it's either a pro contract and he stays with the Habs, or else he goes back to the juniors (Tri-City).

[Edited on 20-9-05 by JeanLucPilon]

I'm a little disappointed that Lapierre did not get a chance to play 1 exhibition game. I truly believe that he's the type of player that will ultimately be a great 4th liner for the Habs. I base that on three important factors: his style of play is similar to Begin's, providing high tempo and energy; he has a reputation as an agitator, exchanging verbal barbs with the opposition to get them off their game; he has a decent skill set and has grown into a pro sized body over the 2 years since the Habs drafted him. I believe he's shown committment to becoming a pro, but I'm also not surprised that the Habs are showing some patience with him. I'll predict that he'll make the Habs squad in either the 2006-07 or 2007-08 season.

It is interesting to see how different many of us are here on who should get a shot at the big club. The best feature about the Habs now is that there is depth in the organization.

Now everyone on the team is not going to be an allstar, however there is tremendous potential talent for the third and fourth lines if the first two are the same as last year.

I would like to see Corey Locke get a fair shot at the big club within the next two years as he has offensive talent. In juniors his last two years he scored 63 and 51 goals. In the new NHL the team has to score. Montreal cannot get into the habit of relying on Jose 90% of the time so they have to score. I don't think this is his year and hope they dont eventually trade him or let him walk in the future. It is so much fun to speculate with other habs fans. :hockey: