Game Thread | Boston vs. Montreal | 10/18/05

Spider-Man NL

I enjoyed the game as much as anyone else last night but I just got a bit of a cold shower of 'perspective' this morning.

As I read on my TSN sportsnews subscription, I saw that Thornton, Zhamnov & Slegr were all absent last night.

That's something like us playing without Koivu, Souray & Ribeiro. That's a big challenge.

Let's hope that if & when our team gets into situations like this that they can play well and hold out. It'll be one of those nights when Théodore will REALLY have to be a superhero.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Trizzak

37 pages? Have we beat the record yet?

What is it about these records anyways? 98% of the post are "theo saves", "the sucks", "habs rule", "we score, yeah", "they score, ######", "our pp sucks" and so on...

The content cleary doesn't get better if people are just flaming the threads so we can make new records...it will just lead to people start dissing these forums when only one out of 50 posts have something of value...

Or is it just me? We'll in that case I'm sure none of you will miss me...flame on

Originally posted by DJ_Laszlo
Originally posted by Trizzak

37 pages? Have we beat the record yet?

What is it about these records anyways? 98% of the post are "theo saves", "the sucks", "habs rule", "we score, yeah", "they score, ######", "our pp sucks" and so on...

The content cleary doesn't get better if people are just flaming the threads so we can make new records...it will just lead to people start dissing these forums when only one out of 50 posts have something of value...

Or is it just me? We'll in that case I'm sure none of you will miss me...flame on

You're leaving the community? Good grief! We're just a bunch of guys who are acting/reacting, enjoying/being frustrated, etc during a game.

It's like being in the livingroom, rec room, basement, pub, wherever, as a bunch of guys/gals together watching a game and yacking back and forth. It's got a very NATURAL flavour to it.

By the way, if you're commenting on my expression 'yackin' 'n yackin' 'n the posts are stackin' 'n stackin'", all that is is an enjoyment about playing on words. The similarity of sounds slipping smoothly in sequence seems somewhat soothing to my artistic soul.

I probably yack more than others but I can honestly say that I'm really enjoying this as it used to say below my avatar. I'm like the everlasting little boy (even at 55 years of age). :D:D:D:D:D

Soooooooooooooo..... if you have decided to leave this 'family' because of your understanding of 'valueless' and 'flamed' postings, you might feel more comfortable in a more sedate and stiffer site.

I really do hope you DON'T decide to leave or I really do hope that I've MISREAD the intent of your words. You have had good things to say, good info to add, good opinions to offer, good insights to consider. :D

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

game threads are unto themselves. I would not be against them being in their own forum.

I don't think Laszlo said he was leaving, I think he just said that he was not going to post in game threads.

----------------------

So,I guess Dagenais is essentially finished in Montreal. I kinda liked Dandenault on the wing and Streit looked absolutely fine (even pretty at times) on D. I guess this is a one time thing since Zed should be in the lineup for saturday, but Dags should probably prepare himself to move soon.

I was so worried in the first period. Theo looked like he was going to let in about 15 goals that night. I'm glad he had a good second period and an even better third.

I love our first line!

I am starting to question Zednik's return to the fist line. Perezhogin seems to fit very well with Koivu and Kovalev. Not to metion he is exciting to watch.

I watched Ribs very close in this game. He is trying to play a game (or CJ is forcing him) that he can't play. That line needs a Begin type player to do most of the dirty work. Ribs just gets swatted around. He did make some fantastic thread the needle type passes as well.

Plekenec should center the second line. This guy is as good a play maker as Ribs and he has speed and grit. (even considering his horrible give away)

Zednik - Plekanec - Ryder

Originally posted by simonus

So,I guess Dagenais is essentially finished in Montreal.  I kinda liked Dandenault on the wing and Streit looked absolutely fine (even pretty at times) on D.  I guess this is a one time thing since Zed should be in the lineup for saturday, but Dags should probably prepare himself to move soon.

I agree completely about Streit. The guy was solid. Smart plays out there.

I wonder if Dandy plays more wing or if someone else sits on D?

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu

I totally love the idea of this line, but what do you do with ribeiro?

I think Ribs needs some tough guys with him. Fourth line with Begin and Higgins.

Begin - Riberio - Higgins

Speed, grit and playmaking.

There is no other place for Ribs IMO

I totally love the idea of this line, but what do you do with ribeiro?

I think Ribs needs some tough guys with him. Fourth line with Begin and Higgins.

Begin - Riberio - Higgins

Speed, grit and playmaking.

There is no other place for Ribs IMO

Guys, way too early to put Ribs on a checking line. He needs guys like Ryder to pass to or you may as well trade him. Montreal was lucky last night as Boston hammered them early. Theo stole the win in the third period and Boston was without their two top centres.

The first line should stay together for the year as they click together. I like Zed but he is often injured and this is not good for the best line. Ribs-Zed-Ryder fot the second line would offer some punch.

Looks like Dags is not going to be doing much for the team if Dandy starts playing forward and D.

You're leaving the community?  

Soooooooooooooo..... if you have decided to leave this 'family' because of your understanding of 'valueless' and 'flamed' postings, you might feel more comfortable in a more sedate and stiffer site.

I really do hope you DON'T decide to leave or I really do hope that I've MISREAD the intent of your words. You have had good things to say, good info to add, good opinions to offer, good insights to consider. :D

Of course I'm not leaving - I was just beeing a tad sarcastic. My point beeing was that it's not easy to find the constructive posts in these endless game threads about the game in particular. Maybe a post game thread should be created for these purposes..?

Other than that I really enjoy browsing these forums as well as this site since it's without any doubt the best information source there is about this fantastic team.

Of course I'm not leaving - I was just beeing a tad sarcastic. My point beeing was that it's not easy to find the constructive posts in these endless game threads about the game in particular. Maybe a post game thread should be created for these purposes..?

Other than that I really enjoy browsing these forums as well as this site since it's without any doubt the best information source there is about this fantastic team.

I'd agree that a regular "post-game thread" to discuss the game would be a good idea. Post game analysis just seem to get completely lost in the huge game threats and I suspect a lot of people who didn't follow the game threat just move on without really making a return on the game for lack of having followed the discussions.

[Edited on 2005/10/19 by Rooster]

You're leaving the community?  

I agree with you and Rooster here. That would be an excellent way to get more completely thought-out comments on the games in question.

My suggestion for you is that you might be the one to start that and, with time, make it a 'tradition'. That would satisfy the needs of both the ones who are talikng back & forth as in a pub or somewhere like that and those who are looking for more in-depth commentary or feedback on the game itself.

Super idea!!!! :/):/):/):clap::clap::clap::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo:

Originally posted by les_glorieux

speaking of which, nothing from a concerned fan yet. i always like reading his articles. really get a sense of how everyone played when you can't watch it on tv.

Technical difficulties, sorry about that. The article will be posted eventually.

Oh yeah. Great game, its about time they won at home. I was worried that I was a jinx (attended the first 3 home games) , glad I'm not. It was a fun evening, it was pretty weird having a "Expos night" at a habs game, along with playing expos music, showing expos clips, bringing out former expos players, and Youppi! of course. Very bizarre... The fans seemed to love Youppi though, he scored a goal on the Boston net before the game.

Nice to see the first line dominating again, Kovalev is in a class by himself. He controls entire games whenever he wants, so fun to watch.

well at first, i'm one of those members that hate meaningless post (like those ok, good, haha, hehe, etc) but in the game thread, i thought it was especially designed for the members to come and *live* the game together~ wherever we r (at work, at home, at school -- like most of the time i am during week day games -- in the morning for one, late at nite for another one) some people can watch the game, while others have to listen through the radio and some can't even listen through the net. etc­. fo the game thread was (i thought) for us to inform what's going on during the game~ not play by play but at least most of the play~ and since we watch / listen to it at different spots (like ckac, cjad, tsn, rds, cbc, WHATEVER else) then we have different comments from those medias that we can share with others~

as for me, i watch the game on rds but i listen to ckac for the description coz i used to always do that~ i have a more detailed description of the game through the radio~

so another member who listen to cjad will have other specifications or analysis about the game which is very interesting~

oh well, maybe we shouldj ust create a *habs game thread* section and start all the game thread in that section :)

Originally posted by puck7x

speaking of which, nothing from a concerned fan yet. i always like reading his articles. really get a sense of how everyone played when you can't watch it on tv.

Technical difficulties, sorry about that. The article will be posted eventually.

Oh yeah. Great game, its about time they won at home. I was worried that I was a jinx (attended the first 3 home games) , glad I'm not. It was a fun evening, it was pretty weird having a "Expos night" at a habs game, along with playing expos music, showing expos clips, bringing out former expos players, and Youppi! of course. Very bizarre... The fans seemed to love Youppi though, he scored a goal on the Boston net before the game.

Nice to see the first line dominating again, Kovalev is in a class by himself. He controls entire games whenever he wants, so fun to watch.

Good good, I've been looking forward to that article. As for the Youppi! goal, I totally called it...well, I thought he would in a shootout, but it's all the same:/)

Originally posted by puck7x

So, I do believe a that most of us agree that the Balej/Kovalev trade is, so far, WAY TO THE CANADIENS ADVANTAGE!!!

The only concern, I suppose, might be the financial aspect of the deal but, in order to get a talent like Kovalev, it would seem that it was necessary to do so.

Also, may I add that this investment may have more long-term benefits aside from guaranteeing Kovalev's talent being with us for the next four years.

I suggest that, next year, because of Kovalev's presence, we will more likely be able to hold onto the heart of our team, Saku Koivu. If he continues to know success like he is so far this year, if he continues to have positive experiences like he's having this year, he'll very likely want to resign next year and for a long time, at that.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo::ghg::hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

1949 - my year of conception (merci maman et papa) :D:D:D:D

[Edited on 2005/10/19 by shortcat1]

Here's an interesting tidbit.

I copied this from a comment made by Brian Leetch on last night's game.

"I hope they don't mention I was on the ice for all four goals in the loss," said Leetch, taking care of that himself. "Hopefully they won't remember that, because that was disappointing."

yuck!

[Edited on 2005/10/21 by shortcat1]

They have new stats in the Gazette.

Bulis led the team in shots(4), hits(5) and tied in takeaways(2).

Kovalev was amazing. Especially on that 1-on-2 when he slipped around one guy and cut off the other to find himself alone in front of the net. His back hand shot was stopped. Then there was the breakaway and he did have 3 assists. Plus he was first star. The 3rd goal Ribeiro stole from him.

Great game from the first line.

Souray, oo là là! He takes slapshots from his own blueline. Markov didn't play his best.

Great news: Theo is improving. He's nearly found his game. Let's see if he can shutout the Isles.

After NYI we've got the Sens and then Philly. Tough games coming up.. It'll be interesting to see where we are in terms of points after that.

Originally posted by shortcat1

Here's an interesting tidbit.

I copied this from a comment made by Brian Leetch on last night's game.

"I hope they don't mention I was on the ice for all four goals in the loss," said Leetch, taking care of that himself. "Hopefully they won't remember that, because that was disappointing."

yuck!

Brian Leetch is a great player that really takes care of himself. I always liked him and he is gifted offensive player. I have never noticed him to be good defensively. Plus he is a veteran so lots of ice time including PK.

Brian would have been good to add for 1 year to our team to help the rookies out. Look at my personal favorite Leaf whipping boy, McCabe and he has 9 points already! Even though he is -2 in +/-.

Oh well, Komisarek is exceeding what I expected and looks to be our next good defenseman. Souray needs a vacation, to work out whatever is wrong. This is not the same guy.

The Boston game was fun because Montreal can skate like crazy. I have not seen anything like this since the old Oiler days with Gretzky when many teams could skate and score!

Go Habs, lets kick some Islander butt!

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

They have new stats in the Gazette.

Bulis led the team in shots(4), hits(5) and tied in takeaways(2).

Kovalev was amazing. Especially on that 1-on-2 when he slipped around one guy and cut off the other to find himself alone in front of the net. His back hand shot was stopped. Then there was the breakaway and he did have 3 assists. Plus he was first star. The 3rd goal Ribeiro stole from him.

Great game from the first line.

Souray, oo là là! He takes slapshots from his own blueline. Markov didn't play his best.

Great news: Theo is improving. He's nearly found his game. Let's see if he can shutout the Isles.

After NYI we've got the Sens and then Philly. Tough games coming up.. It'll be interesting to see where we are in terms of points after that.

My big interest is going to be the Philly game because the Leafs beat them. If Montreal can take the next two games it will really help confidence that they can beat the best!

We already showed that we have what it takes to beat Ottawa. Let's steal these points that no other team could take. Phily isn't doing well, so hopefully we'll be able to feed off of their agony. The Isles should be easy. They have a good roster but it's not balanced out well. Just 1 good line and a couple of good defence man.

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

The Boston game was fun because Montreal can skate like crazy.  I have not seen anything like this since the old Oiler days with Gretzky when many teams could skate and score!

Go Habs, lets kick some Islander butt!

I just saw a program on NHLTV about 'great canadian rivalries'. It covered the Calgary - Edmonton 80's & 90's rivalry, the Canadiens - Nordiques rivalries of the same period, etc.

The thing that stood out was the skating. It was amazing. It was fast and furious. It put the last few game's skating in perspective. If the league and players association can hold to their promise, we'll again be seeing some fabulous skating like those years.

(The only thing I hope we'll be able to improve upon is some of the dirty play that took place then too. Messier, for all of his leadership and offensive talents was, in many ways, a pecursor of a Todd Bertuzzi kind of player. He would have fit in well with the Broad Street Bullies of the early 1970's.)

1965 - another quiet year - went to Pittsburg with family - bought first record album (Music to Listen to James Bond) - second album (Out Of Our Heads - Rolling Stones) - failed grade 11 :eyes:

i think and hope that the 'new' NHL is comitted to rewarding players for being good rather than being 'tough' (I like real toughness, not the fake kind).

For those of us who weren't around in the 70's and too young to understand what we were watching in the 80's, only the old reels give us an understanding of true firebrand hockey. Reels lie, showing only 10 seconds clips of amazing and intensity, where every rush leads to a shot and every shot is a goal or a spectacular save.

Shortcat, I too see flashes of those reels in games that I am now watching. It is very exciting to realize that I am getting back something they I never really understood that I had lost.

slightly disturbing -

Kovalev is averaging about 1:30 more ice time per game than Koivu. Thats about 2 shifts. Why?

They're both on the 1st line and the 1st PP line... I've think I've even seen Koivu out there killing a penalty or two. If this is all due to Kovalev dragging out of shifts, I don't like it at all.

That said, I don't mind Kovalev being on the ice. He's leading the team in SOG, Assists, and points.. and he's a +2. Just a little thrown off by this statistic.