Hockey News's Top Ten List For 2006 Draft

RobRock

Hockey News just released their '06 Draft Preview issue, and here's their top ten selections.

1. Erik Johnson - D - USA under-18 team - 1st on CSB

2. Phil Kessel - C - Minnesota - 5th

3. Jonathon Toews - C - North Dakota - 3rd

4. Jordan Staal - C - Peterborough - 2nd

5. Nicklas Backstrom - C - Brynas - 1st Europe

6. Peter Mueller - C - Everett - 6th

7. Derick Brassard - C - Drummondville - 4th

8. Jiri Tlusty - LW - Poldi Kladno - 3rd Europe

9. Bryan Little - C - Barrie - 7th

10. Kyle Okposo - RW - Des Moines - 11th

Their top rated goalie is Jonathan Bernier of the Quebec League's Lewiston MAINEiacs, who's ranked 17th.

After seeing Kessel's play at this year's WJC, I'm a little surprised that they still have him in the number 2 slot. They went into the tourney as gold medal favourites, but never even medalled. Erik Johnson was undoubtedly the best player on the US team, but Toews had a better tournament than Kessel did. Maybe it was the previous year's tournament, but they even stated that he had a poor freshman season at Minnesota. I wouldn't be surprised if he fell out of the top five altogether. It goes to character and development that when the spotlight and pressure was on him, he didn't live up to expectations. Perhaps the expectations were a bit high.

It's funny that a 17 yo that was the best scorer at the WJC, and who enjoyed a great freshman season in the NCAA (51 points in 39 games) is considered like a disappointment. I still think there's a very good chance that he will be selected first overall by the Blues because they could use the hype of the "American Crosby" to fill the stands.

One guy that really fell off the radar is Frolik... he was supposed to be a sure top 5 pick, but I guess Hockeys News jumped on the Jiri Tlusty bandwagon, whom many feel is better than Frolik.

Wonder is there's any chance that Sanguinetti could fall to the 15th position... Montreal could really use him. Otherwise maybe Nigel Williams or Ty Wishart if we're lucky.

I thought the Habs might have a chance to pick Brassard if he slipped in the first round, but I guess we can forget about that now. He would have been the perfect fit since the Habs dont really have a bluechip playmaking center in the system and the connection with Latendresse would have been added bonus.

Though a defenseman with top pair upside is what the Habs need most of all. But drafting your needs is never good.

I'm just hoping for a solid prospect. We picked guys like Higgins and Perezhogin fairly late in the first. I dont think this year's crop has that kind of quality depth but Habs are in a fairly good position to get something valuable.

Where did they put Sanguinetti at?

he's ranked 12th but i'm sure he'll go before that

It's funny that a 17 yo that was the best scorer at the WJC, and who enjoyed a great freshman season in the NCAA (51 points in 39 games) is considered like a disappointment. I still think there's a very good chance that he will be selected first overall by the Blues because they could use the hype of the "American Crosby" to fill the stands.

One guy that really fell off the radar is Frolik... he was supposed to be a sure top 5 pick, but I guess Hockeys News jumped on the Jiri Tlusty bandwagon, whom many feel is better than Frolik.

Wonder is there's any chance that Sanguinetti could fall to the 15th position... Montreal could really use him. Otherwise maybe Nigel Williams or Ty Wishart if we're lucky.

I would bet a few loonies that one of those 3 will be drafted by montreal

Where did they put Sanguinetti at?

HN has him at 15, with Nigel Williams at 11. A lot of scouts seem to agree that he doesn't play a physical game. That could drop him down the list, especially amongst the East teams. My pick would be Ty Wishart at 16 (doesn't skate very well, but that can be corrected) or Mark Mitera at 20 (not flashy, but great character and attitude).

I still think there's a very good chance that he will be selected first overall by the Blues because they could use the hype of the "American Crosby" to fill the stands.

I think you overestimate draft hype in the states. To sum it up, in the last 10 years, the only hyped player has been Sidney Crosby. Other than that, I've never even heard of the top people until this time of year. The NHL draft gets no hype at all and will get even less this year since ESPN has cut back so much on hockey.

Drafting an American won't put people in the stands in St. Louis. With a team that bad, unless the fan support is amazing, only winning games will put fans back in the seats.

I'm hoping the Habs can pull an Ottawa in 2004. They got Meszaros with a 23rd overall pick. 1 year later the guy was an NHL regular D. If BG doesnt trade his pick, that's the kind of selection I'd love to see.

Edited by KoZed

Last thing the Blues need is another defenceman. A lot of fans down here are either talking about Kessel, Staal or Toes and a little bit of Backstrom.

they will pick kessel

he's a great player and when you change owners you want to start up with a marquee player such as kessel

and unless I'm mistaking, madison WI is not that far from st-louis. never underestimate the local factor...

jonhson in pittsburgh

Nicklas Bäckström was named Rookie of the Year in the Swedish Elite League this season. I saw the season opener when Brynäs took on Leksand (the team Ryder and Bouillon played for during the lockout), and I Bäckström scored a goal in his Elite League debut (think it was his debut anyway). You could see right from the start the kid's got talent.

Bäckström recently became the youngest player in Swedish hockey history to play in the World Championships, and he also became the youngest ever to win a gold medal.

Experts describe him as the next Forsberg. What they mean by that exactly I am not sure of, might be the talent, but I think it's his playmaking skills.

we can sign lots this summer.

I tend to agree with this. There are a handful of top four defensemen available (Brewer, et al.).

Nevertheless, as Mont Royale aptly stated, it's easier said than done.

So, if in the draft one is looking for a good defensive prospect, any one of the top four rated would be a good consideration.

I fall back onto the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE policy. As weird as it may sound, even if it's a goalie, he should be drafted (good goalies are never an overabundance).

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Edited by shortcat1

I fall back onto the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE policy. As weird as it may sound, even if it's a goalie, he should be drafted (good goalies are never an overabundance).

???

we have danis-halak-price-huet and aebischer...all of them will be NHLers

I think It's enough for the next 2-3 years

I tend to agree with this. There are a handful of top four defensemen available (Brewer, et al.).

Nevertheless, as Mont Royale aptly stated, it's easier said than done.

So, if in the draft one is looking for a good defensive prospect, any one of the top four rated would be a good consideration.

I would agree only if it's a blue-chip goalie prospect like Kari Lehtonen. In that case, you want to draft him, and eventually either trade him or another goalie away if necessary. Otherwise, in Montreal's case this year, they need to go after a skater, preferably a very good defenseman. However, where I agree with you, is that we shouldn't draft a second-tier defenseman like Mitera or Weber if potentially good top 6 forwards like Chris Stewart, Micheal Frolik or Kyle Okposo are still available.

I would agree only if it's a blue-chip goalie prospect like Kari Lehtonen.

they did that last year with proce and people were pissed off at gainey and timmins for it. and as I remember scouts say: price was the best junior goalie they saw in the last 10 years...thats luongo stuff. so we don't need any goalie.

they did that last year with proce and people were pissed off at gainey and timmins for it. and as I remember scouts say: price was the best junior goalie they saw in the last 10 years...thats luongo stuff. so we don't need any goalie.

Well, I wasn't pissed... surprised yes, because I thought we were going to draft Brule, but thinking about it, I was pleased with the selection. As for his year, there aren't any blue-chip goalies in the draft, so I can't see how they would "waste" their pick on Jonathan Bernier while there will be some good skaters left.

Well, I wasn't pissed... surprised yes, because I thought we were going to draft Brule, but thinking about it, I was pleased with the selection.

I was surprised too. but I was sure that we would've been able to get bobby ryan or kopitar buyt, hey, if the kid turn ok, we won't hav eot worry about a goalie for the next few years

My comment about drafting a goalie wasn't an encouragement to do so, it was simply stating that the principle of drafting THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE no matter the position, is likely the best plan to follow.

As to seeing THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE being a goalie this year is very minute so that makes this a non-issue anyway.

THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE is THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE and the best policy is to go with him no matter the position of the player.

I think they will pick up the best player available ut they will adress issues like a need of a big foward or an offensive D man..they won't pick a kostitsyn/perezhoghin or chipchura like player.

we could use another big winger or a big centerman

and,of course, we could use a sanguinetti