Game Thread | Ottawa Vs. Montreal | 10/14/06

Spider-Man NL

senators_logo.jpgvrssign.gifcanadiens_logo.jpg

2006-07 Regular Season Record:

ottawa50.gif1-3-0 : 2 Points (13th in the Eastern Conference)

montreal50.gif2-0-1 : 5 Points (5th in the Eastern Conference)

Projected goalies for this game are:

Ottawa

2514.gif# 1 Ray Emery (0-1-0), 1.53 GAA, .955 Save%

Montreal

2311.gif# 39 Cristobal Huet (0-0-1), 3.70 GAA, .892 Save%

Senators Roster
Link

Canadiens Roster
Link

13453.gifCanadienBall.jpg13454.gif

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Samsonov - Plekanec - Kovalev
Perezhogin - Bonk - Johnson
Downey - Begin - Latendresse

13457.gif

Komisarek - Markov
Souray - Streit
Niinimaa - Dandenault

13455.gif
Cristobal Huet

AbbyKomi.jpg

Samsonovfull.jpg

This game can be seen 7:00pm eastern on:
l_RDS.gif& CBC.jpg

Cjad.jpg
Listen to the game live at 7:00 pm on CJAD 800 AM

logo.jpg
http://www.ckac.com/radioflash/radioplayer.php (in French)

Edited by KoZed

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not time to take it easy let the habs show the fans what they're made of!!!!!

Go Habs!

heheh damn i wanted to be first poster! damn you ol'great one!

n e ways habs 4

im seeing Samsonov....Johnson....Koivu....and souray

on the other side i see 2 mezsaros and alfi

May the habs show us the light!

Just a question - does SRC still show Saturday night games, or does RDS now have exclusive rights? Zap2it is telling me that the game is not on SRC tomorrow...

Rds have the monopoly of habs games

in french...i think its been two years they are not showing the games

Edited by habs_in_the_blood

After his last night performance, Emery might well be in the nets for Ottawa

Doesnt matter tough. Habs will own them either way.

Edited by Jean

Did I read well.. 4% powerplay for Otawa? Talk about pathetic!

Sens'll be looking for something to happen... I anticipate quite the battle once this sleeping giant awakes...

Let's hope our boys can handle this challenge...

GO HABS GO!!!

Thanks habs_in_the_blood. I didn't live in Canada last year, so I'm pretty clueless about the state of the Habs TV situation. Since HNIC will be showing Leafs/Flames here, looks like I'll be listening to CJAD or CKAC online.

What are you talking about? SRC showed every Saturday night Habs game last year aside from a few away games that were at "odd times." :wacko:

Sens'll be looking for something to happen... I anticipate quite the battle once this sleeping giant awakes...

Let's hope our boys can handle this challenge...

GO HABS GO!!!

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

I kinda feel sorry for Huet, because so far he has been getting all the toughest games. Huet has already lost once, and its only a matter of time before the Sens wake up and go on a rampage. Hopefully it wont be against Huet. After all it wouldnt look very good for Huet to be 0-2 GAA 3+ while Aby is 2-0 GAA 1.5-

So... um.... is SRC showing the games or not?

They should be. They showed them all last year except for a few, one being a game in Florida at like 8pm eastern or something like that. But if the start-time is 7 or 7:30 pm eastern, I guarantee it'll be on SRC.

SRC stations outside Québec were showing the Saturday games last year by taking the signal directly from RDS, even for the commercials. I dont know if it's just for me tough but the image quality was very bad, altough I got RDS at home so thats no issue for me

They stopped doing this this year. Sucks for francophones outside Québec.

i remember that last year, SRC showed saturday nite habs games but only for the rest of canada, not for quebec's resident.

so for example, habs fans in vancouver or calgary could watch the habs game...

but i dunno if they will keep on doing it this year~

i dunt care coz i have rds ;) hehe

Looks like Huet gets the start and Kovalev is questionable.

Canadian Press

10/13/2006 5:38:52 PM

MONTREAL (CP) - Cristobal Huet will be back in goal for the Montreal Canadiens home opener on Saturday night.

From his play last season, when he led Montreal to a playoff spot with a spectacular second half, that shouldn't be a surprise.

But it is last year's back-up David Aebischer who has been hot of late and who won the team's last two games on the road after Huet faltered in a season-opening 5-4 shootout loss in Buffalo last week.

"It's been in my mind since before the start of the season that Cristobal would start the season opener and the home opener," coach Guy Carbonneau said Friday.

"After what he did for us last year, he deserves it."

The Canadiens (2-0-1) play host to the Ottawa Senators (1-3-0), a team whose sputtering attack has scored only seven goals in four games and whose power play so far is one-for-25, 29th out of 30 NHL teams.

"I think they'll try to crash the net," Huet said. "They're going to be desperate on offence and we have to be aware of that."

The Senators also have issues in goal, as Ray Emery will start a second consecutive game after former Carolina Hurricane Martin Gerber struggled in two of his first three matches.

Carbonneau said he has no preference between defining a No. 1 goalie and a back-up or sharing the work between two equals.

"For the next couple of weeks, we'll go game by game," he said. "We'll see who's hot."

So far, it has been Aebischer, the 28-year-old from Switzerland who was the starter in Colorado before he was acquired in a trade for goalie Jose Theodore on March 8.

Aebischer has allowed only three goals in two games and his 1.44 goals-against average and .954 save percentage both rank third in the league.

But Carbonneau has not forgotten last season, when Huet posted seven shutouts in only 36 games, led the league with a .929 save percentage and prompted the Theodore trade.

So when the Bell Centre crowd of 21,273 welcomes the Canadiens back, it will be Huet introduced as the starting goaltender.

"It's always an exciting game," said Huet, 31. "It's important for a player to have a good start at home and for the fans to get into the new season. It's fun."

Huet's big second half in 2005-06 earned him a US$5.75-million, two-year contact this summer, even though he remains unproven over time. He had played only 53 games in the previous three seasons with the Los Angeles Kings, posting average numbers.

Neither Huet nor Aebischer sparkled in training camp and after Huet's shaky regular season start, the goaltending debate began.

"Abby played well the last two games, so it's very understandable," Huet said. "I always want to be in the net.

"It's not fun to be on the bench, so I work hard to get back in the net."

It is a friendly competition for playing time between two goalies who wish each other well, but Aebischer has demonstrated he is not ready to accept full-time back-up status.

"It's a different situation now than it was a couple of months ago," Aebischer said. "I always knew what I can do and I think I can contribute a lot.

"I'm pretty competitive and I know what I want. It's simple - to play and play well and contribute to the team's success. Maybe I couldn't do that as much as I wanted to last year."

Aebischer inherited the starting job in Colorado after goaltending great Patrick Roy retired and had his best season in the pre-lockout year, 2003-04, when he went 32-19-9 in 62 games with a 2.09 goals-against average.

He showed little of that form when he joined the Canadiens last season, going 4-3-0 with a 3.73 average in seven games.

But the butterfly-style 'keeper looks sharper and more confident this season.

"I feel good," he said. "I'm seeing the puck well and moving well.

"I'm just enjoying the time I have on the ice. It's two games. I'm satisfied with my performances but I have to keep doing the same things, (whether it's) 40, 50 or 60 games, it doesn't matter."

The Canadiens play host to Calgary on Tuesday and travel to Chicago on Wednesday - two games the goalies will likely split. But it will be interesting to see who is in goal on Saturday, Oct. 21, when Theodore and the Avalanche are the visitors.

"We're both proven we can play in this league and each of us wants to play," Aebischer said. "It'll be a coach's decision and if we make it tough for him, that's good for us goaltenders."

"But two guys like me and Cristo can push each other to play better. I think that's going to be a good competition for both of us."

Notes - Forward Alex Kovalev (charley horse) and defenceman Craig Rivet (bruised hand) missed practice Friday. Carbonneau said Rivet definitely would play against Ottawa, while Kovalev will try to skate Saturday and see if he is fit to play. If he can't, his place will be taken by rookie Guillaume Latendresse on a line with Sergei Samsonov and Tomas Plekanec.