Koivu ranked 4th best NHL team captain

Cataclaw

Interesting article.

But I disagree on some.

Marcus Näslund. A great player but I don't see him as a great leader. As Im Swedish i know them better and I'd rank Niclas Lidström miles ahead of Näslund.

Joe Sakic is in a class of his own. Only Steve Yzerman has been a better captain. Joe Sakic should be on top of this list.

Peter Forsberg would have been on this list if the Flyers would have performed this season. No doubt.

Jarome Iginla?! Where's Mike Modano? Iginla is a great player and a great guy but I wonder if Iginla would have been named here if not Kiprusoff would have taken the Flames so far.

No way should Markus Naslund be on that list. Let's see, what a great captain...the teams he's led have been stacked with talent and have had nothing but earl-playoff exits...he was bosom chum and loyal linemate to the Incredible Sulk, Todd Bertuzzi, who singlehandedly torpedoed not one but TWO seasons by that hapless franchise...ya can't argue with that track record of success. Sheesh. If that's leadership, then bring back Stephane Richer.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Sakic # 1 & Koivu #2 at this point in the NHL as far as I'm concerned.

Sakic is a phenomenal leader who lifts his game when the crunch is on - shows it every night he puts the sweater on!

Koivu is a gutsy competitor who leads by heart & soul - I'd put him here regardless of who he played for - no bias on this call.....

Iginla - give me a break? I like this guy, but he's not a great captain as far as I can see(and based on the line of reasoning they had in the article then they should have been in the finals last year too?)

Sundin - never once has he shown any intensity or lifted his game an extra level at important times in his career. Far too ordinary a leader to be a top ten guy(this rank is based solely on his years served?)

It's a shame to see Sakic at 2nd. They rank Brind'Amour 1st only because he won the Cup last year? COME ON! Sakic never gets the full recognition he deserves, even with Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman gone. Well, that's only because Sakic isn't making noise or trying to get the spotlight.

Koivu might not have other captain's stats or career accomplishment, but he is the ultimate warrior. He is the soul of this team and the reason why each Habs game is special. "This is a man that has quietly returned from cancer and a near career-ending eye injury since becoming captain." And not talking about all the freaking knee-injuries. He never stopped working hard.:clap:

Modano's not the captain anymore. It's Morrow who's captain in Dallas now.

True, that definitely defeats his argument.

I was surprised that they replaced him with Morrow, frankly I think he will finish his career somewhere else when he gets the chance.

Sakic should probably be #1, but Brind'Amour is a damn good captain. A friend of mine is a 'Canes fan, and she gives Brind'Amour more credit than anybody else on that team for the Cup last year... for than Staal, more than Ward, more than Stillman. They think of Brind'Amour down there exactly the same way as we see Saku.

True, that definitely defeats his argument.

I was surprised that they replaced him with Morrow, frankly I think he will finish his career somewhere else when he gets the chance.

Does anybody know why they decided to make that change? The only way that was justified was if Modano asked out of the captaincy à la Jagr, or if Modano was a huge prick behind the scenes. I mean... it's not like Modano is some Johnny-come-lately who had a few big years... he's merely the greatest player in the history of that franchise, by a mile.

Edited by option+

he's merely the greatest player in the history of that franchise, by a mile.

But now that they've got Ribeiro, Lindros AND Barnaby on their team, that may change. ;)

I can understand Iginla being top 10 but 3rd? Really? He hasn't even been captain very long (I think he's entering his 3rd season as captain). And he's definitely not near the level of Sakic (or better then Koivu, Smith or Sundin)

And Sakic not being #1 is a sham. My top 3 would be Sakic, Koivu, Sundin. Maybe Rod at #4, Jason Smith at 5.