Gainey Press Conference Chatroom

dlbalr

We'll be hosting a live chat during the PC, which is due to start at 4:00. I'm putting it in a new thread so that people can still use the other discussion thread without having to leave the chat.

Every dog has it's day! The question that I always ask is " What took so long." The truth is that in this new NHL where honor no longer exists we need to adapt and adapt quickly.I'm proud that Gainey was a GM with our organization the fact is that he was to honest and clean in order to deal with these ruthless GM'S of the new NHL. Our new GM needs to have the nose and instinct of a shark and show no mercy when it comes to making decisions.

Thank you Mr. Bob Gainey and we the fans salut you!

looked at the poll - how the hell did Idiot Macguire get that many votes????

Last thing we need is a Mike Milbury wanabe as our gm!!

looked at the poll - how the hell did Idiot Macguire get that many votes????

Last thing we need is a Mike Milbury wanabe as our gm!!

on what base do you compare MacGuire to Milbury? how are they comparable?

Both are clowns.

Don't be so generous.

On one hand you have Mad Dog Milbury, on the other you have blow hard MacGuire. THe only thing that distinguishes them is their native language.

If either ever became GM, I think I'd be reminicing nostalgicly about the good old Reggie Houle days!

Just because someone is vocal doesn't mean they don't know their shit.

I'm sure that both know shit - after all you usually know what you are!

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Haha I love the attitude of peeps acting all high and mighty...cause so and so has a chance to be a GM and peeps here never will :P

give me a Fxckin break. Both of those bozo's are the worst thing that can happen to any NHL team - the only reason either of them are popular on TV, is bcoz they appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Haha wow...I disagree, entertainment sells. No one wants to listen to someone nag on and on and on, don't discount his knowledge because of what he does on air ..to ENTERTAIN people.

Haha wow...I disagree, entertainment sells. No one wants to listen to someone nag on and on and on, don't discount his knowledge because of what he does on air ..to ENTERTAIN people.

Yeah your right, most knowledgeble people end up broadcasting for 10 years, rather then getting back into the game because they are so sough after.

An regarding your Entertainment sells quote - like I said - appeal to the lowest common denominator. There is a reason why jerry springer, heraldo and the rest of those talk show low-lifes are popoular.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Haha wow...didn't know you had to be a MENSA member to enjoy hockey.

Didn't say you have to enjoy watching hockey. However, I would think that being a village idiot would ordinarily preclude you from being a GM - then again Milbury was a GM for what 10 years??? I guess it just comes down to how dumb an owner is and obviously there are a lot of dumb people with money, otherwise Milbury and Sather woudln't have had a job as long as they did and a bum like Yashin wouldn't have been signed to a 10 year deal.

Didn't say you have to enjoy watching hockey. However, I would think that being a village idiot would ordinarily preclude you from being a GM - then again Milbury was a GM for what 10 years??? I guess it just comes down to how dumb an owner is and obviously there are a lot of dumb people with money, otherwise Milbury and Sather woudln't have had a job as long as they did and a bum like Yashin wouldn't have been signed to a 10 year deal.

You steal candy from babies too, don't you.....

MR. BURNS!

:lol:

Haha...you think people are how they act on TV? You think McGuire goes to dinner at a nice restaurant and and asks the waiter for a MONSTER steak? Despite your reservation, I think he would do a great job, but it's really a mute point? Why are you bringing up Millbury? I'm talking about McGuire anyway.

Haha...you think people are how they act on TV? You think McGuire goes to dinner at a nice restaurant and and asks the waiter for a MONSTER steak? Despite your reservation, I think he would do a great job, but it's really a mute point? Why are you bringing up Millbury? I'm talking about McGuire anyway.

Sorry, but listening to Milbury, Cherry, Gauthier, or that leafs blowhard Bill watters, I really don't see much of a difference between them. OVer the years listening how MacGuire fips flops on his assessment of players shows that he generally is really not that great being able to assess talent. Given his typical TSN bias against the habs, I don't even know anyone would even want him as a habs GM.

lol. With McGuire and Milbury, it is quite often a "mute" point on my tv.

I think McGuire's got tremulous knowledge of the game, but I'm not sure how that necessarily translates to being a good GM.

How does anything translate to being a GM? What makes a good GM?

is that a general question or a question that is specific to the Habs?

As far as I can see the 'normal' rules that aply your question here in Montreal do not aply to the whole of the front office in the Habs Co.

In a way as a fan i really like that cuz in theory that forces the team to make sound judment calls.

As I have said in the past:

I really like the way this team came to be for this season anyway.

I wish BG would have more success with some of his calls, (and less injuries on the team) it would have taken a load off his shoulders...

but the same could have been said about Peanut... if and if and if, eh?!

As a true Habs fan I keep faith as any true believer. We are not out of the playoffs yet and regardless of how bad of a draft possition we get for making them, I rather the Habs make the playoffs then not.

As we here all know:

Anything can happen once in the dance. The prom is all about getting the girl right?! As far as I know the Habs are all jocks (exept the one that was a VegHead) they will have a fair chance at the girl should they make it to the dance without many car troubles and maybe with a little modification to the engine.

to finish: I would like to say thank you Bob for all I'm sure was an honest effort to make this team better :clap: and much luck and success in your next job. Obviously if that next job of yours, Bob, is to get the Cup to another team: F*** Y** Bob!!!

GO! :hlogo: ! GO!

Edited by ehjay

What makes a good GM?

1. A plan.
  2. The ability to surround yourself with the right people designed to help you achieve that plan.
  3. The will to stick to your plan even when the chips are down.
  4. The ability to adapt your plan as events dictate.
  5. The guts to make the toughest decisions.

That's the kind of person I'd hire, anyhow.

That is a good list Colin, but no wheres there on your list is that you can't be loud mouthed and passionate about hockey, which was my point. There's no archtype for a GM, look at the differences between Gainey,Burke, and Holland. To shoot someone down cause of how they act on a show was dumb, and that was my point, the fact McGuire was interviewed earlier this season for a GM position also added credibility to my case, but it doesn't matter anymore the GM has been hired.

That is a good list Colin, but no wheres there on your list is that you can't be loud mouthed and passionate about hockey, which was my point. There's no archtype for a GM, look at the differences between Gainey,Burke, and Holland. To shoot someone down cause of how they act on a show was dumb, and that was my point, the fact McGuire was interviewed earlier this season for a GM position also added credibility to my case, but it doesn't matter anymore the GM has been hired.

I was going on a tangent. ;) I have no idea what McGuire would be like as GM, and I don't think anyone else can have any idea either. In fact, one point that was offered in a negative light - the fact that he changes his mind about players - I think is actually a good point. Why stick to your guns when everyone in the world adapts and evolves. That's limited, narrow-mindedness. If you can't adapt, then I think you're dead in the water.

My list was only a personal list on what I would want as a GM. Can McGuire do those things? Who knows. Have to interview him for starters. But to dismiss him out of hand? I guess those who do that would probably dismiss the super skinny kid who played for the Indianapolis Racers because he was too whimpy to make the NHL. Or that 8th round pick of the Flames in 87 draft because he was too damn small.