Looking ahead to 2007 draft

bobby

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we don't need small wingers like hamill in our team, we need talented centers with good size. a right handed shot wouln't hurt.

we also need depth at D.

I'm sure that timmins will go for a safer pick and a high end foward with little Defensive upsides.

we don't need small wingers like hamill in our team, we need talented centers with good size. a right handed shot wouln't hurt.

we also need depth at D.

I'm sure that timmins will go for a safer pick and a high end foward with little Defensive upsides.

ISS rankings have Plante at #16 overall, and Akim Aliu at #24 if that makes you feel better... ;)

we also need depth at D.

We've gotta go BPA. If a great winger drops to us, we've gotta pick him up. After all, we can always make a trade.

If we're looking for grit and toughness to go along with the goal scoring we should be looking at Aliu. Although he's a RW (and not a center), he does shoot right

Tough as nails kid, listed at 6'3" 209........and won't back down from anyone

Trade both first rounders and get into the top 5-6 picks....then jump on Voracek!

Sure he is a right wing and possibly even uglier then Kopitar (is that possible?) but the guy has some sick skills and is a budding superstar!

I keep hearing that this is supposed to be a weaker draft than the past couple, but it is hard to see that if you look at some of the numbers the players are putting up. Last year Jarrett Staal averaged a point per game in the OHL and went second overall. Patrick Kane and Sam Gagner are both averaging around 2.5 points per game :blink: just a year later in the same league. Peter Mueller and Devin Setoguchi both went #8 overall out of the WHL averaging around a point per game. Zach Hamill is considerably ahead of that pace this season in the same league. Kyle Okposo went #7 overall out of the USHL with just over a point per game. There are 4 or 5 draft eligible forwards in the league this year who are doing the same or better. Toews went #3 overall averaging less than a point per game in the WCHA, Bill Sweatt is doing better than that this year in the same league, and is considered the best skater in the draft to boot. Alex Cherapanov is not guaranteed a top 5 ranking and he has put up better numbers in the RSL in his draft year than Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, or Malkin managed.:rolleyes:

I'm strarting to feel that we might get angelo esposito. his stcok as fallen tremendously and we're placing ourselves to a better draft pick every day.

however, reports on him tell that he's a peripheral player that's scared to go in the traffic or get pucks in the corners...

however, reports on him tell that he's a peripheral player that's scared to go in the traffic or get pucks in the corners...

We'll he'd fit right in to the current roster then............. :rolleyes:

We'll he'd fit right in to the current roster then............. :rolleyes:

would make a great second line center..uhgggggg

My bet is that they use one pick on a big, physical defenseman like Nick Petrecki, Alex Plante, Keaton Ellerby, or John Negrin. The other on a big, mobile left wing/centre like Colt Gillies, Max Mayorov, Mikael Backlund, Max Pacioretty, or Mike Hoeffel. Draft has brought a lot of good offensive talent in the past couple of years with Latendresse, Aubin, D'Agostini, Kostitsyn, Maxwell, Carle, and White.

Edited by bobby

Offensive talent? Until these guys play a reg shift in the NHL and can produce consistantly there nothing more than prospects.....

Uuuh.....yeah.......you are probably right about that. Good insight! :blink:

Seriously, though, I'm pretty sure they will be looking for some muscle that can play, to round out their prospect list. Nick Petrecki and Colton Gillies fit that description the best, with Ellerby, Plante, and perhaps Pacioretty following fairly closely. With 2 first round picks they may take a flyer on a riskier prospect like Backlund or Mayorov with one of them. Or even Esposito, they certainly have had enough opportunity to watch him play over the years, and if he has any jam at all, I'm sure they would love to land a local kid.

I would add Minnesota High School defenseman Ryan McDonagh to the list as well. He is moving up fast. A good candidate to succeed David Fischer as winner of the Mr Hockey Award for the state. Bound for Wisconsin, he has similar numbers to Fischer from a year ago, but is more physical, and a left handed shot. Listed at 6-1, 195, he has drawn comparisons to Chris Chelios at the same age. Mike Hoeffel, a 6-3, 190 pound left winger will join Fischer with the Gophers next season. He is another big kid with great wheels. Jim O'Brien, already playing for the Gophers, even though he just turned 18, is a big physical centreman with good hands. he should break out next season.

I'd say there is about a 50/50 chance they use at least one of the picks on an American college guy, 40% that they use one on a player out of the WHL, and maybe 10% that they go to Europe or another CHL league.

Edited by bobby

I'm going not to try and offend the Eoro posters but the Habs current roster is filled with Eero prospects. I would look for them to go after more North American style of players this year. The need some grit and NOrth South players, some who can protect the net or drive to it. I think they may split the first 2 picks to get a D man and a center.

I know nothing of the prospects other then what i read so is there a reason Esposito is falling? Size, speed?

Is there anyone in the draft this year who could move right up and play?

Is there anyone in the draft this year who could move right up and play?

on a weaker team, maybe but don't think montreal will do so. anyhow, there's seldom a player drafted in the high 10s that joins his nhl club right away. the only one I can remeber is dustin brown a few years ago.

Nick Petrecki moves to the top of the Wish List for the month of March.

This kid is Dion Phaneuf waiting to happen. 6-3, 215 pounds, good skater, tough as nails, and has a howitzer from the point. He has 9 goals 8 assists in 39 games this season with Omaha Lancers of the USHL, 133 PIM. Phaneuf had 16 goals, 14 assists, 185 PIM, 71 games, in his draft year with Red Deer Rustlers of the WHL.

Perfect fit for the Habs as a big physical left side defender, especially if Sheldon Souray takes his big stick to the left coast next season.

Nick Petrecki moves to the top of the Wish List for the month of March.

This kid is Dion Phaneuf waiting to happen. 6-3, 215 pounds, good skater, tough as nails, and has a howitzer from the point. He has 9 goals 8 assists in 39 games this season with Omaha Lancers of the USHL, 133 PIM. Phaneuf had 16 goals, 14 assists, 185 PIM, 71 games, in his draft year with Red Deer Rustlers of the WHL.

Perfect fit for the Habs as a big physical left side defender, especially if Sheldon Souray takes his big stick to the left coast next season.

So as of October 2007 he'll already be a second-pairing d-man in the NHL? :huh:

So as of October 2007 he'll already be a second-pairing d-man in the NHL? :huh:

Well, I'm presuming that when Souray signs, he will sign a 4 or 5 year deal. If he goes elsewhere, obviously some kid who will be 17 years old on draft day isn't the immediate replacement. But any short term replacement is likely to be just that. Sooner or later you have to develop a long term answer. Souray came to Montreal in exchange for Vladimir Malakhov, and it took him several years before he assumed the minutes that Malakhov played.

P.S. You're really irritating Fairy. You never submit a postive or informative post. Just catty, critical, negative stuff.

Edited by bobby

Well, I'm presuming that when Souray signs, he will sign a 4 or 5 year deal. If he goes elsewhere, obviously some kid who will be 17 years old on draft day isn't the immediate replacement. But any short term replacement is likely to be just that. Sooner or later you have to develop a long term answer. Souray came to Montreal in exchange for Vladimir Malakhov, and it took him several years before he assumed the minutes that Malakhov played.

P.S. You're really irritating Fairy. You never submit a postive or informative post. Just catty, critical, negative stuff.

I can deal with catty, I can even deal with critical, but to say that I only post negative stuff is pure nonsense.

And by the way, it's "faerie," not "fairy." ;)

By the way, check out the Ryan Smyth thread or the many times I've defended slumping players over the course of this season. I'm not entirely useless/negative.

O.K. sorry. I guess I was being pretty "catty" as well.

Appology accepted.

One of the problems I've noticed with the forum lately is that everyone is taking themselves way too seriously. This used to be a fun place, but now it seems as if people just argue with each other over who's right and who isn't.

Well obviously I have no clue who they will draft, I just offer up what I think are the most likely prospects and try to support the choices with background. I've never guessed Montreal's first round pick correctly in all the years I've followed the draft. But usually the player I wanted them to take turned out better than the player they actually took.

Well obviously I have no clue who they will draft, I just offer up what I think are the most likely prospects and try to support the choices with background. I've never guessed Montreal's first round pick correctly in all the years I've followed the draft. But usually the player I wanted them to take turned out better than the player they actually took.

Mmhmm, don't get me wrong, I enjoy your posts, you have a lot of great info on prospects. I was just making a friendly jab at your expense. :P