Looking ahead to 2007 draft

bobby

Living in Quebec City and hearing/seeing a lot about the Remparts, I'm a little wary about Esposito. The kid has had a hard time raising his level of play. He's got awesome wheels and talent, but seems weak between the ears. Kinda reminds me of Ribs.

Besides, I agree with Mathias Brunet who thinks the Habs should keep replenishing their D. We got Fischer, Carle and Valentenko last year, but none of them is a real bluechipper. We could still use another go around at the D-men well.

We especially need D-men who can move the puck fluently. We'll be OK in the physical department with Komi, O'Byrne, Emelin and Valentenko. But our future PP QB is still missing.

Brunet hopes Alzner falls to on our lap at the 12th spot. If he's taken, then Ellerby or Katic could do.

Sadly, its not a good year for D-men. We might have to settle for the BPA and that could well be another forward. But if it ends up being a big natural talent with a huge upside like Espo, then it wouldn't be all that bad.

I think Fischer is a blue chip can't miss prospect. Right now he's likely a long ways away but I think he has hte highest upside of any of our D prospects. But the problem is that there's no telling where he will end up in terms of his progression, although next year if Eric Johnson turns pro then it should really benefit Fischer since he would likely take over his PP time and have a much large role with the team. I've seen Fischer a lot and I'm excited about how good he could become, although it could be a good 4 or more years before we see him in the NHL.

I like the idea of getting more defensemen, I don't think it has to be with our 1st pick, but I like the idea of getting Alzner, especially since he will only play in the WHL for 1 more year and then he'll be off to the AHL. The Habs would need to trade up to get him, I can't see him falling out of the top 10. I think we need another puck moving defensemen. Fischer does this well, so does Carle but after that we are thin on good puck movers.

Also there is a concern about LD's. We are way overloaded with RD's. Fischer, O'Byrne, Carle, Gleed, Archer, Korneev, Paquet, Cepek. At LD we have Cote, Benoit, Emelin, Valentenko and Korpikari. Korpikari we lose the rights to if he's not signed and who knows when we can get Emelin over here.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of getting more defensemen, I don't think it has to be with our 1st pick, but I like the idea of getting Alzner, especially since he will only play in the WHL for 1 more year and then he'll be off to the AHL. The Habs would need to trade up to get him, I can't see him falling out of the top 10. I think we need another puck moving defensemen. Fischer does this well, so does Carle but after that we are thin on good puck movers.

Alzner is a teammate of Habs draftee Ryan White, so I'm guessing --knowing how the Habs seems to pick from the same teams often -- that he should be higher on their list than some other candidates,

They'd definitely need to trade up though.

Alzner is a teammate of Habs draftee Ryan White, so I'm guessing --knowing how the Habs seems to pick from the same teams often -- that he should be higher on their list than some other candidates,

They'd definitely need to trade up though.

we do havesome assests to trade, though.

2007 draft class took a BIG hit at the U18 WC. Most of the best players on nearly all of the teams were underage for the upcoming draft. First round draft picks are going to be tossed around like nickels this year, I think.

To make matters worse, the pick Montreal got for Craig Rivet (who is playing like Raymond Bourque in San Jose) is disappearing off into the distance as the Sharks march through the playoff rounds. :( It llooks like any return they get for Rivet will have to come from Josh Gorges.

:rolleyes: So, no late 1st rounders have ever become good-great players?
Not nearly as many as mid first rounders. Especially in what is looking like a very weak draft. I've never seen the U18 dominated by underage players to the extent it was this year. The best Russian, Canadian, and a lot of the American players were 16 year olds. Top end prospects for the upcoming draft were consistently overshadowed by younger teammates.

At the time of the deal, the Rivet trade looked pretty good from a Montreal point of view. At this point is looks like a giveaway. Plus it isn't going to be lost on Rivet's fellow free agents in Montreal and around the league how much better things turned out for him once he left the team.

To add insult to injury, in the words of one draft analyst, "The dropoff after the top 10 is like a chasm.....". Montreal drafts 12th. :(

I remember "experts" were saying that the 2002 draft was a really weak one but we still managed to pick up chris higgins in the 14th position. event if he turns out to be the only guy coming put of this draft, I'll still consider it a succes.

Draft is always unpredictable at the best of times, but if you look at this year's crop, it is hard to find much to get excited about after the top 10 or so. I think the "expert" may be right in this case. I was optimistic about the draft until I saw what happened at the U18 tournament.

As an example, Angelo Esposito is generally regarded as a top 10 pick this year, but he isn't any different than Ben Maxwell who the Habs got in the late second round last season. Matter of fact Maxwell was much more impressive at the U18s a year ago than Espo was this season.

I hardly remember seeing canada dominate at U18 but they somehow play better at wjc.

I heard alot of good about drew doughty. they say he's the next big D coming in next year and will be a high pick.

as for esposito, we already have small centermen in our system, I really think we should look for bigger,meaner cats.

Draft is always unpredictable at the best of times, but if you look at this year's crop, it is hard to find much to get excited about after the top 10 or so. I think the "expert" may be right in this case. I was optimistic about the draft until I saw what happened at the U18 tournament.

As an example, Angelo Esposito is generally regarded as a top 10 pick this year, but he isn't any different than Ben Maxwell who the Habs got in the late second round last season. Matter of fact Maxwell was much more impressive at the U18s a year ago than Espo was this season.

I find it hard to get excited about anyone in this draft, yes Kane has some real flash and dash but he's weak in his own end and has the body frame of a little girl. JVR looks like he could be a good one, Turis I haven't seen yet so I don't know what to make of him. Espo would make me neverous if we got him, Alzner I like but there's no way I would move much to trade up and get him. He's safe and solid all round but I don't know if he's worth it to move up.

I'm not saying this draft is weak but imo it's not that impressive. Figures we have 9 picks, but I have a lot of faith in Timmins and his staff to get us some solid prospects. I would look to several of the USA defensemen and hope to add some depth in a spot we need it.

Yeah, as things sit it looks like the Habs will have to look at future role players and complementary pieces out of this draft. It looks like Van Reimsdyck might be out of their reach in terms of a trade up, he may be at the head of the class after the U18 tournament. If the dropoff after the top 9 or 10 players is widely perceived, that would really devalue their #12 pick as well.

The more worrisome thing might be the way Rivet (and a few other ex Habs) are thriving elsewhere. Former coaches as well. That isn't going to make it any easier to convince Souray or Markov to stay in Montreal, and it will make it more difficult to attract replacements for any F.A. they do lose.

Well you never know what you'll turn up out of any draft, and there's always going to be some good players, it's just that this draft is lacking in a lot of ways. That said we'll see what Timmins can come up with, should be interesting.

A lot of the players don't impresse me a great deal but this draft could be exciting cause it's so wide open, plus I could see several teams trying to move their picks.

I suppose the underperformance by the 2007 draft eligible players at the U18 is offset somewhat by the fact that an unusual number are excelling in the USHL (against mainly older competition), along with Patrick Kane, Sam Gagner, Jakub Voracek, and Zach Hamill (top scorers against mostly older comp) in the CHL. That is unusual as well.

7 draft eligible USHL players scored as many or more points this year as Kyle Okposo did a year ago in the league. Including a defenseman, Colby Cohen.

Still, Nick Petrecki seems so much like Mike Komisarek at the same age, its hard to see him not becoming a left handed version of big Mike at the NHL level as well. They are both from N.Y., both went to the EJHL and won top rookie award, both played the following year in the USHL and developed reputations as big hitters and shut down defenders, both highly recruited NCAA prospects, both with big shots and untapped offensive potential......Komisarek was listed at 6-4, 225 for the 2001 draft but he was 19 at the time. Petrecki, at 17, is listed at 6-3, 213. B). If they come out of the draft with another Mike Komisarek with the 12th overall pick, I would have no complaints.

Edited by bobby

I have to believe that Alex Plante will turn out to be a solid NHL player as well. He has pretty much identical numbers to Karl Alzner with the Hitmen, plus he is 8 months younger and substantially bigger. In limited viewing, I haven't seen the terrible defensive play that some ascribe to him. He certainly isn't as smooth a skater as Alzner, but for a guy who is 6-5, 220 pounds, he gets around pretty well.

The combination of size and offensive production that Plante and Colby Cohen posess certainly makes it worth the gamble to see if their defensive play comes around.

Woodlief's latest,

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/colu...-woodlief_N.htm

wow, Cole and McDonagh in the top 10.

I like what I hear about Lars Eller, Simon Hjalmarsson, Simon Lacroix, Alex Biega, Ondrej Roman, Teddy Ruth, C.J. Severyn, Dwight King, Justin McCrae, Dana Tyrell, Spencer Machacek, Nick Bonino from Avalon

:rolleyes: Goodgrief the Bad Mullett has the attention span of a grasshopper. He judges players by thier last shift, never mind their last game or tournament. I don't think he spends 1/4 the time you do actually watching prospects play. I doubt that he pays anyone else to watch them either. Maybe covers their bus fare and arena coffee.

CSS rankings out -

N.A. Skaters - 1. Kyle Turris, 2. Patrick Kane, 3. James Van Reimsdyck, 4. Keaton Ellerby, 5. Karl Alzner, 6. Sam Gagner, 7. Jakub Voracek, 8. Angelo Esposito, 9. Zach Hamill, 10. David Perron.

Euros - 1. Alexei Cherepanov, 2. Michael Backlund.

here is the tsn link to the css rankings

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=7225&hubname=

I would trade up for Kyle Turris, James Van Reimsdyck, or Alex Cherepanov, no one else. The USHL players are moving up in the CSS rankings, Pacioretty, Petrecki, Cohen, all in the top 25 now. Ryan McDonagh and Tommy Cross barely out of the top 10. I don't think they will go that high though. Some of the glitter must be off the high schoolers by now. Players like Logan Couture, Colton Gillies, Alex Plante, Zach Torquato rated as second to fourth round picks. :blink: . There must be some depth, at least, in this draft.

If I was Bob (instead of bobby :lol: ), I would deal the Kostitsyn brothers and Grabovski for a top 2 or 3 pick. Clean out the system a bit and get their hands on a potential star. Andrei and Sergei are dogging it because they just want to go home. Grabovski injures himself with some dressing room stupidity. Send the Mulletts elsewhere while they still have value.

Sorry Bobby, i like alot of your posts but that would be insanity. The Kosty brothers have the most talent in the system. Offensively speaking. Next year he will be a mainstay with Higgins and Pleks. That line was very good. The Habs are done moving young talent, those days are over. There is plenty of high priced garbage that can go. Any pick is a crap shoot. I would be happy with Mcdonough (HS kid) and Sutter later.

Myeeh....there are a handful of former WHL "grinders" like Troy Brouwer, Clarke MacArthur, Dustin Boyd, Kris Versteeg, Dane Byers, etc. who are producing as well or better than A. Kostitsyn and Grabovski in the AHL. Juniors who barely averaged a point per game, if that. S. Kostitsyn's big numbers come from playing 40 minutes per game with Pat Kane and Sam Gagner. 7th round pick David Meckler is outscoring him in the playoffs with less playing time. The Belarussians are seriously overrated by the fans, but not so much so by Guy Carbonneau or Bob Gainey, I don't think.

bobby, I'm not sure about Cherepanov. He's as skilled as anyone in the draft but his attitude looks like it's a major problem. We already seem to have a reputation for underachieving, enigmatic Russians, I'm not sure trading up to get another one would be th ebest move. Turris, Kane, Gagner and Van Riemsdyke would be awesome though. And maybe Keaton Ellerby?