Looking ahead to 2007 draft

bobby

But if you watch Minnesota high schoolers play each other in high school or the USHL (which is mainly former Minnesota high schoolers), or the WCHA (which is mainly former Minnesota high schoolers with a year or two in the USHL), you're still watching them in the same bubble. The WJC for all the fact that it is just a 7 game tournament, brings together players from all different backgrounds and training grounds, so it is a much better test of how they match up against their peers. Brian Lee has looked really lame against the best players in the world in the two WJC tournaments he has played in, considering the fact that he was the 9th overall pick in his draft year. Blake Wheeler has done even less against the best competition of his age group, for a guy who was the 5th overall pick in the draft. Winning the Mr Hockey award for the state of Minnesota is a good news/bad news thing. The good news is that you are the best high school senior in the state. The bad news is that you are still playing high school hockey at the age of 18. The best kids from the state have already left for the NTDP, the WHL, or the USHL. Or a private school like Shattucks.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if you watch Minnesota high schoolers play each other in high school or the USHL (which is mainly former Minnesota high schoolers), or the WCHA (which is mainly former Minnesota high schoolers with a year or two in the USHL), you're still watching them in the same bubble. The WJC for all the fact that it is just a 7 game tournament, brings together players from all different backgrounds and training grounds, so it is a much better test of how they match up against their peers. Brian Lee has looked really lame against the best players in the world in the two WJC tournaments he has played in, considering the fact that he was the 9th overall pick in his draft year. Blake Wheeler has done even less against the best competition of his age group, for a guy who was the 5th overall pick in the draft. Winning the Mr Hockey award for the state of Minnesota is a good news/bad news thing. The good news is that you are the best high school senior in the state. The bad news is that you are still playing high school hockey at the age of 18. The best kids from the state have already left for the NTDP, the WHL, or the USHL. Or a private school like Shattucks.

So how much are you seeing these guys play? I personally don't agree with putting so much into a 7 game tournament. Lee likely will end up being a mistake at 9th overall but he's been good in the NCAA. The problem I have with what your saying is that different players develop at different levels of time, it's not fair to compare them at the same stages of development. Or you can but imo it's pointless to do so. It's a fact that some players take longer to develop. Blake Wheeler will likely be a mistake for the Yotes picking him at 5th overall but that's not to say these guys won't turn out to be very good nhlers one day, no one can say at this point. Just because a lack of success at a junior tournament doesn't mean a whole lot as some guys never even play in the tournament yet go on to be great nhlers.

The best kids don't always go the National program/WHL or USHL. I know that David Fischer was asked to join the National program but he wanted to stay home cause his mom was very sick. Aside from that there are still very good hockey players in the high schools. Granted the National team and schools like Shattucks, Salisbery, Avalon Farms, plus the dub and USHL get many of the top players. I've noticed that more and more kids seem to be going the USHL route before heading to the NCAA so that they can be ready physically.

Not meaning to be picky, but Fischer was not invited to try out for the NTDP as a 16 year old. He was as a 17 year old, and went to the tryout camp and was invited to join the team as a forward. In his own words, that is why he turned them down. I'm sure his mother's illness was a factor, but I don' t think it was the main factor. The U18 team was overloaded with defensemen and short of quality forwards at the time. Fellow first rounder Chris Summers ended up playing forward at the U18 WC.

Pretty sure that the Habs will be looking for a big left winger, or left handed centre, with their first pick. They are loaded with netminding prospects (provided they can SIGN Carey Price), and they drafted four defensemen last year. Lots of right wing and right shooting centre prospects in the system as well. Early candidates would be Colton Gillies out of the WHL, who sounds like a clone of Bob Gainey at the same age, and Maxim Mayorov in Russia. Both are big strong kids who skate really well.

at the rate they're going, they'll likely be picking in the early to mid bottom third of the draft...

one of the best players they ever picked was taken 21st overall... hmmm.... wonder who that was?

GO :hlogo: GO!

January 17 in Quebec City the 40 CHL top prospects will play in Quebec City.

I'll be there dor sure, even more the coaches will be Scotty Bowman !!, Pat Burns!!, Michel Bergeron and Jacques Demers.

Here is the list of players who will play that game.

Akim Aliu, Sudbury Wolves

Ruslan Bashkirov, Quebec Remparts – LHJMQ -

Drayson Bowman, Spokane Chiefs

Logan Couture, Ottawa 67's

Angelo Esposito, Quebec Remparts – LHJMQ -

Olivier Fortier, Rimouski Oceanic – LHJMQ -

Sam Gagner, London Knights

Colton Gillies, Saskatoon Blades

Max Gratchev, Rimouski Oceanic – LHJMQ -

Zach Hamill, Everett Silvertips

Patrick Kane, London Knights

Spencer Machacek, Vancouver Giants

Brett MacLean, Oshawa Generals

Logan MacMillan, Halifax Mooseheads – LHJMQ -

Oscar Moller, Chilliwack Bruins

Nick Palmieri, Erie Otters

Michal Repik, Vancouver Giants

David Skokan, Rimouski Oceanic – LHJMQ -

Brett Sonn

e, Calgary Hitmen

Brandon Sutter, Red Deer Rebels

Maxime Tanguay, Rimouski Oceanic – LHJMQ -

Zack Torquato, Erie Otters

Keven Veilleux, Victoriaville Tigres – LHJMQ -

Jakub Voracek, Halifax Mooseheads – LHJMQ -

Défenseurs / Defencemen

Karl Alzner, Calgary Hitmen

Jonathan Blum, Vancouver Giants

Eric Doyle, Everett Silvertips

Keaton Ellerby, Kamloops Blazers

Taylor Ellington, Everett Silvertips

Thomas Hickey, Seattle Thunderbirds

Mark Katic, Sarnia Sting

Kevin Marshall, Lewiston MAINEiacs – LHJMQ -

John Negrin, Kootenay Ice

Alex Plante, Calgary Hitmen

Nick Ross, Regina Pats

David Stich, Saint John Sea Dogs – LHJMQ -

Gardiens / Goaltenders

Trevor Cann, Peterborough Petes

Linden Rowat, Regina Pats

Tyson Sexsmith, Vancouver Giants

Jeremy Smith, Plymouth Whalers

I will take a closer look on some players like

Logan Couture, 29 games 13 goals 26 pass 6.00 191 lbs Curious low in the rankings

Patrick Kane.88 Kane, Patrick 34 28 46 74.5.09 160lbs but looks fun to watch

Anybody else to watch ??

with all the good youngsters in the :hlogo: system, why dont trade our 1rst round pick in a package deal for a not so old rh center???

why not use a prospect to better our ranking order and get a top 10 player ??

Carey Price the best player available at #5 overall? Anze Kopitar and Guillaume Latendresse might disagree with that, just to name a couple. Paul Statsny and Marc Vlasic are NHL regulars already, and at least half a dozen other players taken after Price have played in the NHL already. My choice at the time was Kopitar, and still would be. Habs passed on Kopitar because they knew they made a mistake with Kostitsyn a couple of years earlier, and were afraid to take another chance on a big fish in a small pond.

"Best player available" is a totally subjective phrase. It means nothing. The so called "best player" from a particular draft or a particular spot in a draft can change by the week. If you want to use Price as an example of anything, it would be to prove that. Carey did next to nothing for 18 months after being drafted, and everything in the past 2 weeks. He isn't as bad as he looked earlier, and he isn't as good as he looked at the WJC.

Bob and Timmins made it very clear they felt Price was the best player available. And their opinions are the only ones that count on draft day. As they put it, he was the only player left they had rated as a potential "franchise"-level player.

As for signing Price, with the entry-level contract system it's a no brainer. He's a top-five pick so he'll get the max or close to it for a three year deal. Even Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin are playing for relative peanuts because they're on their entry-level contract. The only thing with Price will be that he'll likely be in the A for a t least a year or two.

why not use a prospect to better our ranking order and get a top 10 player ??

Cuz we don't need a RH center for the 2nd line in 4 years we need it NOW !!!

Cuz we don't need a RH center for the 2nd line in 4 years we need it NOW !!!

I respectfully disagree.

Montreal needs to be top contenders for years and it's with top prospects that we may have a chance for a cup. In 3 years the core of the team will be the 1 and 2 round players chosen in the last 6 years.

2001 7th Komisarek25th Perezhogin Duncan Milroy

2002 14th Higgins 45thThomas Linhart

2003 10th Kostitsyn18th Chipchura !!84th Emelin

2004 5th Price 45th Latendresse

2005 2006 20th Fisher 49th Maxwell 53th Carle

So no top propspects for immediate help. Use our depth player to find a center.

I respectfully disagree.

Montreal needs to be top contenders for years and it's with top prospects that we may have a chance for a cup. In 3 years the core of the team will be the 1 and 2 round players chosen in the last 6 years.

2001 7th Komisarek25th Perezhogin Duncan Milroy

2002 14th Higgins 45thThomas Linhart

2003 10th Kostitsyn18th Chipchura !!84th Emelin

2004 5th Price 45th Latendresse

2005 2006 20th Fisher 49th Maxwell 53th Carle

So no top propspects for immediate help. Use our depth player to find a center.

you need to redo your list a little. price and chips were'nt pick up the same year but I get the essence fo you msg :D

If we keep up with the recent trend in picks and decisions on draft day then we are in good hands. I am confident we will make the best of our choices with Timmins and his crew driving the good ship Canadiens style!

Nevertheless, if I was a GM and needed to improve my team in a promising year like this one. I would be compelled to consider trading my promising assets to give my present team a chance at making some good things happen; I would be very willing to trade my first round pick this year. However, having said that, Timmins and his staff have seen a very good tourney at the WJC this year and I'm sure he had his scouts working double time to check out all the prospects!

GO HABS GO! GO DOGS GO! GO HABS GO!

Edited by Chips

The good news if they keep playing this way they'll keep moving up the draft.

well, we can always get our hopes up... non?

GO :hlogo: GO!

I was at the CHL prospect game and my favorite player was Keven Veilleux ranked 16th for North America mid rankings. A blasting shot, high intensity. 6.5 foot 200 pound, long reach, has to work on his skating but he is faster than he looks because of his size.

He would be my first round choice.

I was at the CHL prospect game and my favorite player was Keven Veilleux ranked 16th for North America mid rankings. A blasting shot, high intensity. 6.5 foot 200 pound, long reach, has to work on his skating but he is faster than he looks because of his size.

He would be my first round choice.

A solid, big, right handed center, with a 95.6 mph slap shot and playing for a great junior team..

1_284.jpg

"Il n’est pas très loin de la NHL"

-Pat Burns

I'll have to go with you on this one ER.

• 2 weeks later...
maybe I missed it, but who or what was I watching there?

Antoine Lafleur, an 18 year old goalie prospect from the PEI Rocket.

"I don't think he feels any pressure, the way he's so calm in net. He was playing in front of a lot of scouts when we went to Quebec and he always raised himself to the challenge."

-Yanick Jean, PEI Rocket Head Coach

Rocket goalie taking off

I'm not saying we should go after him -although you can never have enough goaltending depth- but Lafleur sure looks good in red, white and blue ;)

Veilleux would be the logical choice in the first round, if still available.

Unless we trade Price or Halak i don't see the point of watching a goalie prospect.

We're supposed to be OK for the next 10 years at least.

The need is for offensive centermen and a pure goal scorer.

I think our sallowest position (in terms of prospects) is LW. We're quite deep in C, imo. Plus Grabovski may be that offensive centermen and pure goalscorer. I'm really excited for him.

I think our sallowest position (in terms of prospects) is LW. We're quite deep in C, imo. Plus Grabovski may be that offensive centermen and pure goalscorer. I'm really excited for him.

I think what we lack the most his an offensive minded player. we'll be ok on D with fisher carle emelin obyrne...

are 3-4th line will be good with the likes of lapierre ,,chipchura, ferland, aubin...

but on offense ?? grabovski, maybe maxwell ans ak46.

whos our big, offensive center of the future ??