Game Thread | Canadiens vs. New York | 02/27/07

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We kept Souray. Big deal. Believe me, I lived there for 5 years, Edmonton fans are losing it right now. Bob didn't do that to us.

Bob gave us the pick with Rivet. Maybe Bob trades down with those picks. :clap:

Bahahaha a PICK! In a draft no one even gives a rats behind about if you are out of the top 5 picks! If that pick is so important to you for the furture wouldnt two good prospects have felt even better?

When Smyth resigns with the oil and the isles get booted from the playoffs the oil will have gotten O'marra, and Niilsson for NOTHING! Plus a pick.

Don't really understand, they moved Lats down to an other line, but he like completely forgot about the third line, they need more hits, Begin and Lapierre aren't hitting anymore, they look like they just gave up...

I think he just didn't get a good enough offer for Shelly. The Sharks were in it, but they needed a right side defenseman much more than a left side guy. It probably boiled down to paying what they did for Rivet, and balancing their defense a bit, or paying a lot more for Souray and still having no right handed shots on the blueline. Next in line was Anaheim and I think that Burke thought he could get Shelly at a bargain price (by this year's standards), but Gainey wouldn't budge. Burke is still living in the past and usually talks himself into a corner. He has been griping for years about the cost of rental players, and now he can't pony up for a decent one without looking like an idiot. I think Gainey was prepared to go either way with Souray, but didn't get an offer that made it worthwhile to move him.

Not a big deal. 90% of the time the teams that load up at the deadline are out by the second round, and few if any of the draft picks help the team down the road. Look what Atlanta traded Braydon Coburn for. He was 5th overall pick or something, and is still just 21. Jack Johnson was dealt before he even turned pro. Same with Ryan O'Marra.

But trading Jack Johnson and Braydon Coburn were really dumb mistakes. Jack Johnson will be an impact player in the NHL. Lombardi should be locked up for that heist.

and Couburn for Zhitnik....I would have traded Souray straight up for Coburn

Myeeh....look at the Kovalev deal. At the time fans were wringing their hands about giving up a great young prospect like Josef Balej and a draft pick for a guy who was only going to play for Montreal for a couple of months. Love him or hate him, Kovy is still out there on the ice, while Balej is somewhere in Europe and the guy the Rangers drafted is still slogging it out in the ECHL.

but Gainey wouldn't budge...

Yeah, people have to cut Gainey some slack. Anaheim is a perfect trading partner for Souray but anyone who knows hockey knows Burke is shrewd and greedy. Good luck winning a trade there!

LA where Souray really would like to go has no interest since they are gone. They'll take the UFA road to get Souray if he leaves.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

When Smyth resigns with the oil and the isles get booted from the playoffs the oil will have gotten O'marra, and Niilsson for NOTHING! Plus a pick.

They'll only get him if they pony up the dough....can't see Smyth giving them a hometown discount being unrestricted.

Even after this I still give Halak the start next game.

He's played well in the third with no support and the only goal that was his fault hit off the knob of his stick and went in...a complete fluke.

After what I saw last night from Abby it is time to call up Danis or Price and send Abby down he was the original red light Abby

Edited by habs rule