Habs at the Deadline

rafikz

The keeping of Souray means to me that 1) Gainey feels he'll be able to re-sign Souray and 2) that we have the prospects in our system to lift us to the next level (and won't need the space to sign a big name UFA).

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The keeping of Souray means to me that 1) Gainey feels he'll be able to re-sign Souray and 2) that we have the prospects in our system to lift us to the next level (and won't need the space to sign a big name UFA).

This has nothing to do with a UFA- Souray could have brought in good young players and draft choices.If Souray resigns I agree there was some positive to this.

This ain't a damned video game, people. There's a person on the other side who, believe it or not, has a mind of his own, and has his own interests at heart. It's not just clicking on a couple of icons on a monitor and presto, you have the best players on the non-playoff teams. There's 29 other guys out there competing for the same guys, and that's even if all of them know who is available and who isn't. Nobody, and I mean, nobody knew for a certainty that Smyth was even available. And now people are pissed off that he didn't get a guy that this time yesterday wasn't even being talked about as a trade target. Take a pill, folks.

This ain't a damned video game, people. There's a person on the other side who, believe it or not, has a mind of his own, and has his own interests at heart. It's not just clicking on a couple of icons on a monitor and presto, you have the best players on the non-playoff teams. There's 29 other guys out there competing for the same guys, and that's even if all of them know who is available and who isn't. Nobody, and I mean, nobody knew for a certainty that Smyth was even available. And now people are pissed off that he didn't get a guy that this time yesterday wasn't even being talked about as a trade target. Take a pill, folks.

Dont you think its Gainey's job to know if someone is available??? Dont you think its Lowe's job to sell Smyth to the highest bidder in terms of talent???

Cannot believe Habs have no idea if they are sellers or buyers.

Well kiss this season goodbye (No Huet) and we get to keep Sheldon for what 20 games?

Nice work Gainey.... :angry:

You could be right

Uh, RobRock - check your sources.

Bob Mackenzie reported on TSN that Kevin Lowe said he made 18-20 teams (all the playoff bubble and playoff teams) aware that Ryan Smyth could be available if he refused Edmonton's final offer. Several teams got back to him with offers just incase...20 minutes before the deadline Smyth refused the Oilers' offer, and the Oilers looked over their offers and accepted the Islanders offer, which was fantastic btw (equal to 3 1st rd. picks).

Every playoff team knew, simple as that. None of the rumor guys did, but that does not mean jack.

Sorta disappointed to see no significant moves (woohoo like Leighton makes a difference!), but hardly expected more. Gainey's a real cautious fella. Most of the time.

Actually Bob did get his rental player, and it cost him nothing, his name is Sheldon Souray. I would say that Bob did not get what he was looking for in trade. If he lets him go for prospects then we are virtually guaranteed missing the playoffs. That will mean the loss of millions of dollars in playoff money. We keep him we probably make the playoffs. We do our best to re-sign him in the off season. It is just possible that Shelly likes being a habs and will sign on.

Actually Bob did get his rental player, and it cost him nothing, his name is Sheldon Souray. I would say that Bob did not get what he was looking for in trade. If he lets him go for prospects then we are virtually guaranteed missing the playoffs. That will mean the loss of millions of dollars in playoff money. We keep him we probably make the playoffs. We do our best to re-sign him in the off season. It is just possible that Shelly likes being a habs and will sign on.

Id say our chances of making the playoffs are 50/50- we have teams behind us that have games in hand. We have teams that have strengthened their team today for the stretch run. Do we need a rental player at this slim chance of making the playoffs? Will we go far with our goaltending??? I think we should have been a seller and sold not only Souray but a few others

Well put. I agree completely.

I'm sure the Oilers feel that Nilsson is a better prospect than Kostitsyn. They are the same age, and Nilsson has a year of NHL experience. As well Nilsson was born and spent his early years in Calgary, so they don't have to worry about any cultural adjustment difficulties. I also think that the Oilers (and I) feel that O'Marra is a better prospect than Chipchura, because O'Marra can skate much better. The first round pick is roughly equal to the Habs own first rounder. So even if Montreal offered Kostitsyn, Chipchura, and their own first, they wouldn't be able to match the Islanders offer.

Did you hit your head today??? :huh:

Nilsson better then Kostitsyn??!!??!!

His one year experience tells me that he is not good enough to play at this level. I means 56 games in 05/06 and never another sniff... that speaks of how good he isn't, not how good he is. His 175 lbs is truely daunting.

I guarantee every GM in the NHL takes Kostitsyn over Nilsson everytime...including Lowe. But the fact is that Lowe panicked and pulled the deal on a last minute effort. Sad really.

I'll concede on the Chips and O'marra comparison just because they are both career third liners no matter how fast they are.

No one knows what Souray will do next year, not even Sheldon. He has been working most of his life for the opportunity to sit back and entertain multi million dollar offers at his leisure. Any player would be a fool to pass up that opportunity and reward for all the sacrifices along the way. It is probably a once in a lifetime thing.

Come this summer, that is exactly what he will do. As far as his personal priorities are concerned, no one knows what they are, and they could certainly change over the next 6 months depending on a lot of factors. Who knows, he could have a second child and a happy relationship with a Montreal woman by that time.

Enjoy watching him while you can, there are few more entertaining players around, and certainly none that would have come in his place if he was traded today. Instead you would have waited for the next 5 years for a glimpse of a Matt Higgins, a Terry Ryan, a Lindsey Vallis, a Mark Pederson, a David Wilkie, Alain Heroux, Eric Chouinard, Dan Geoffrion, Jose Charbonneau, etc.

Did you hit your head today??? :huh:

Nilsson better then Kostitsyn??!!??!!

His one year experience tells me that he is not good enough to play at this level. I means 56 games in 05/06 and never another sniff... that speaks of how good he isn't, not how good he is. His 175 lbs is truely daunting.

I guarantee every GM in the NHL takes Kostitsyn over Nilsson everytime...including Lowe. But the fact is that Lowe panicked and pulled the deal on a last minute effort. Sad really.

I'll concede on the Chips and O'marra comparison just because they are both career third liners no matter how fast they are.

I agree, not sure the habs needed Smyth this year though. I hope they sign him in the offseason

Uh, RobRock - check your sources.

Bob Mackenzie reported on TSN that Kevin Lowe said he made 18-20 teams (all the playoff bubble and playoff teams) aware that Ryan Smyth could be available if he refused Edmonton's final offer. Several teams got back to him with offers just incase...20 minutes before the deadline Smyth refused the Oilers' offer, and the Oilers looked over their offers and accepted the Islanders offer, which was fantastic btw (equal to 3 1st rd. picks).

Every playoff team knew, simple as that.

I don't buy that for a second.

Lowe is covering his ass, and Mackenzie is helping out.

Mackenzie also said how many calls he received from NHL GM's that said "Ryan Smyth was available?" right after the trade was announced.

No one knows what Souray will do next year, not even Sheldon. He has been working most of his life for the opportunity to sit back and entertain multi million dollar offers at his leisure. Any player would be a fool to pass up that opportunity and reward for all the sacrifices along the way. It is probably a once in a lifetime thing.

Come this summer, that is exactly what he will do. As far as his personal priorities are concerned, no one knows what they are, and they could certainly change over the next 6 months depending on a lot of factors. Who knows, he could have a second child and a happy relationship with a Montreal woman by that time.

Enjoy watching him while you can, there are few more entertaining players around, and certainly none that would have come in his place if he was traded today. Instead you would have waited for the next 5 years for a glimpse of a Matt Higgins, a Terry Ryan, a Lindsey Vallis, a Mark Pederson, a David Wilkie, Alain Heroux, Eric Chouinard, Dan Geoffrion, Jose Charbonneau, etc.

Funny stuff, but maybe it would have been Chris Higgins or Tomas Plekanec or Micheal Ryder or Mike Komisarek or

Very true, but I think our scouting is MUCH improved now.

I had really high hopes for Terry Ryan.

Ryan had concussion problems, which is really a death sentance for a player who tries to play the style he played. Then he got into the booze a bit too much. But he certainly had talent and heart.

Funny stuff, but maybe it would have been Chris Higgins or Tomas Plekanec or Micheal Ryder or Mike Komisarek or

O.K., go over the habs first rounders over the past 20 years and tell me which ones would be better to watch than Sheldon Souray. Not great odds by any stretch, plus you have to wait for a long time to enjoy the pleasure, even if you got lucky. Komo was drafted 6 years ago, and he still is barely a shell of Souray. He was 7th overall in a deep draft to boot.

It was reported by some people a few days ago that the habs put in their offer for Smyth and it was

Perezhogin, Milroy and a 1st. this was 2 days ago I heard this, not now, but 2 days go. The guy on chfans, who has a reputable source and is known to only put down real rumors, said exactly what would go down.

If the oilers didn't sign him they would trade him and the Habs offer was as above. Good enough or better i don't know. But the habs did put in their offer too.

I don't buy that for a second.

Lowe is covering his ass, and Mackenzie is helping out.

Mackenzie also said how many calls he received from NHL GM's that said "Ryan Smyth was available?" right after the trade was announced.

Yes, they even specifically mentioned Detroit as one of those teams. And Detroit is one of the playoff teams so...

With all the rumors concerning Souray to SJ for some among Carle, Pavelski, Bernier, picks, others... i'm a little dissapointed with the Rivet trade.

But the Rivet trade is very good. A 1rst rounder for him is magical.

That offer sounds plausible to me, but I can see why the Oilers would have chosen the Islanders offer. Smyth's personal preferences may have factored in as well. I assume that there was probably more than one comparable offer, and given Ryan's long and distinguished service to the team, I'm sure Lowe asked him where he would prefer to go.

Ryan had concussion problems, which is really a death sentance for a player who tries to play the style he played. Then he got into the booze a bit too much. But he certainly had talent and heart.

It was an ankle injury that finally finished his pro career. He's currently playing senior hockey in his home town of Mount Pearl, playing in the league semi-finals. He did some TV work for the QMJHL Fog Devils last season, and has also been working with underprivileged kids in Labrador, doing clinics and coaching a youth hockey team. I really think the thing that hurt him most was the management change. Serge Savard drafted him, but Reggie Houle didn't like him as much.

That offer sounds plausible to me, but I can see why the Oilers would have chosen the Islanders offer. Smyth's personal preferences may have factored in as well. I assume that there was probably more than one comparable offer, and given Ryan's long and distinguished service to the team, I'm sure Lowe asked him where he would prefer to go.

TSN was speculating just the opposite. They thought that once Lowe decided to deal, he wanted him as far away as possible, and preferrably to a team that they wouldn't see.

The Ryder and a first is way more then the deal they took.

Ryder is proven and worth more then both former first rounders combined.

The first is a first, not too much difference between the two in a weak draft year..

O'marra will never amount to anything more then a third liner, if he is lucky.

Nilsson is an absolute joke. He is weak on the puck, weak physically and will spend most of his time on the IR if he is in the NHL. A Feisty Ribeiro clone. Plus he is 22....not such a young first rounder huh?

Both guys are 15th overall picks not top end guys and actually maybe even gaffs when drafting them ( Nilsson ahead of Parise and Bernier??? wtf? ).

Come on, there is no way Ryder is worth more than Nilsson and O'Marra. Ryder is a 60 point player, he's not some kind of great player. Not only that, but from most accounts, his effort level is extremely inconsistent. Nilsson is going through the same stuggles as Kostitsyn, adapting to North American hockey. Not saying either one is better, but Kostitsyn was taken 5 picks before Nilsson and hasn't proven himself yet. O'Marra isn't even 20 years old, it's a bit early to be writing him off. And on top of it, Ryder will be a RFA at season's end and he has a history of being difficult to sign.

With all the rumors concerning Souray to SJ for some among Carle, Pavelski, Bernier, picks, others... i'm a little dissapointed with the Rivet trade.

But the Rivet trade is very good. A 1rst rounder for him is magical.

There isn't a lot of difference between Josh Gorges and Matt Carle. Same age, same size, similar styles. Gorges concentrates on defense more, Carle on offense. Gorges was playing while Carle was sent down to the AHL not that long ago. Pavelski seems like a great kid, but he really hasn't proven himself at the NHL level. 30 games or so. The league can catch up to him in a hurry. Remember Jim Fahey with the Sharks a couple of years back? Looked like a world beater for half a season and now he is out of the league. Bernier is a bit of a slob. Physically and mentally. I didn't want him at the 2003 draft, and I don't want him now.

As to the first round pick, I'll make a long term bet now, and say that Josh Gorges will have a longer and more distiguished NHL career than whoever they take with that pick.

TSN was speculating just the opposite. They thought that once Lowe decided to deal, he wanted him as far away as possible, and preferrably to a team that they wouldn't see.

That sounds a bit cynical to me. They may want that for the short term, in not dealing him to one of their Western competitors for the upcoming playoff run, but having Ryan Smyth return to Edmonton to face the Oilers down the road would be nothing but beneficial to the team in terms of ticket sales and fan interest.

Besides, If Lowe was so set on sending Smyth as far away as possible, why would he let all 20 playoff contenders know of the situation. Why not just accept offers from the 10 or so in the Eastern Conference?

I think it is mainly the fans that treat the athletes like playing cards or poker chips with no concern for their personal feelings. I doubt that the General Managers do that. They wouldn't last long if they did. These are not the days of Conn Smythe, Harold Ballard, Eddie Shore etc.