Habs at the Deadline

rafikz

The only way i see something good coming out of today is BG using the press confrence time that he'll use to introduce Leighton for announcing the signing of Markov and Souray to long reasonable deals.

If not then weve wasted an EXTREMELY VALUABLE asset in Souray. We could have used him to get better next year or we could have added to this team to make them a contender.. but no.. were still the same team.. and were still going to be fighting for scraps this year and next.

:hlogo:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope that BG can get Sourray under contract for a reasonable price or a suitable replacement.

Knowing BG's history his thing is when the team is on the cusp like Dallas was that's when he will strike major at the deadline, unless he can get a great deal, which was not going to happen this year.

The Sourray conudrum was what bothers me. I'm just hoping that something can come out of it.

As long as he doesn't go down as early as Abby. With his height I imagine he is a stand-up goalie, definitely better than Abby.

He has a bigger jock then Abbey... :P

It's been said many times before. We aren't sellers. ( We are still in the race) and we aren't buyers who are in the market for a rental. (Giving up a very strong list of prospects and draft picks in exchange for that guy to help us to the cup). I think if Gainey could have got a goalie, he would have, but he wasn't willing to give up the future to try to take a WAY LESS THAN CONSISTENT team to the playoffs

That's horsecrap...We've been trying to develop youth for years now. I see no blue-chippers in our system, despite some depth. Dont get me started on the value of our draft picks, cuz we STINK at drafting.

Smyth is far from old, and could be the guy to build a team upon for years. Just imagine the work ethic our young guys could have learned from him

you're forgetting cap room, of which we had very little to play with.

you're forgetting cap room, of which we had very little to play with.

This should be better next year. How much did the Habs pay for Theo this year? Isn't Abby UFA this year too? That's over 3 million right there. Plus the cap should go up.

This should be better next year. How much did the Habs pay for Theo this year? Isn't Abby UFA this year too? That's over 3 million right there. Plus the cap should go up.

We're not paying Theo anything this year, so Abby leaving via free agency would clear only 1.9 million. In order to sign both Souray and Markov, the Habs absolutely need to dump Samsonov and give his spot to Kostitsyn next season. So assuming Danis/Halak replace Abby and Kostitsyn replaces Samsonov, the Habs will have a little over 8 million to spend on Markov and Souray. Add in another 2 million to use if they keep Gorges on to replace Niinimaa as the 7th D-man.

However, keep in mind that Higgins and Plekanec will both be getting raises, probably about 1.5 million for each of the them, which covers the money saved with Niinimaa leaving. Ryder will be a RFA, but probably won't get a raise unless he keeps up his streak. Also Johnson and Bonk will be UFAs.

Ryan Smith cost three, count em, three first round picks. Too much for a rental.

Let's face it boys. We're not there yet. Most we could hope for is a decent run from here to the playoffs and then get a little positive playoff experience for our young guys. I would've been happy to see Belfour or Cujo arrive as I've given up on Abby, but short of that, I didn't see a big trade as possible. Sell Souray and the team folds, which isn't good for the young guys development. Rentals were simply overpriced, with the possible exceptoin of Guerin, who only wanted to go to a top level contender and so wasn't coming here.

On the bright side, to all those who lament that this years habs are the same old thing we've had for the last 10-15 years, wake up and look at the drafting! Until five years ago our drafting sucked, it is now excellent. Higgins and Komisarek are what you want from first round picks and suddenly our system is full of top prospects. Look at S. Kostitsyin in the O, Ryan White and Ben Maxwell in the W and and Matt Carle in the Q. A seventh, third and pair of second round picks.

I figured Gainey would get something for his extra first rounder, but he didn't. So now I expect they'll use it well and keep the system stocked with young talent. Then, if the team progresses like it should, next year or the year after he'll have the talent to go after a star at the deadline.

I'm starting to really hope we keep Souray, though, I must say.

It's been said many times before. We aren't sellers. ( We are still in the race) and we aren't buyers who are in the market for a rental. (Giving up a very strong list of prospects and draft picks in exchange for that guy to help us to the cup). I think if Gainey could have got a goalie, he would have, but he wasn't willing to give up the future to try to take a WAY LESS THAN CONSISTENT team to the playoffs

Biron went for a 2nd round pick. I am sure Belfour would be a 3rd round pick. That is hardly giving up much. As it is, we may have given up millions of revenue for the Habs when we miss the playoffs. We might lose out on Free Agents because they want to go to a playoff team, not one that missed the playoffs this year...

Add in another 2 million if they keep Gorges on to replace Niinimaa as the 7th D-man.

I think 450k to 2M is quite the raise. Unless you're saying add in the 2M salary difference that the Habs won't be paying Niinimaa next year. That should be a no brainer.

I think 450k to 2M is quite the raise. Unless you're saying add in the 2M salary difference that the Habs won't be paying Niinimaa next year. That should be a no brainer.

Yeah, I'm saying Gorges is making 2 million less than Niinimaa, so keeping Gorges and letting Niinimaa walk opens up 2 million.

I'm starting to really hope we keep Souray, though, I must say.

I was really hoping he'd be traded, but now that he hasn't, I really hope they can resign him. I would HATE losing a guy to free agency when his trade value was at the highest it has ever been.

IF he could sign Ryan Smyth then maybe, but right now that is a rumor. It is also not clear Smyth would sign with the Habs...

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Ryan Smyth on the team, but not at any price...

There is no way the Oilers turn down a 1st rd pick (SJ's pick) and Ryder for Smyth. Or SJ's 1st and Chipchura for Smyth etc. the possibilities are endless without giving up kosty 1 or 2 or Grabs.

As it is the got a first and a third liner with a throw in of a player that might never see NHL ice with any consistency.

This should, and I hope, cost Lowe his job.

Ryan Smith cost three, count em, three first round picks. Too much for a rental.

I figured Gainey would get something for his extra first rounder, but he didn't. So now I expect they'll use it well and keep the system stocked with young talent. Then, if the team progresses like it should, next year or the year after he'll have the talent to go after a star at the deadline.

I think he will make a deal at the draft to move up into the top 5 (please take Voracek) or to get a good centre

The offers you just made, Habitforming, were no better than the NYI one they took. We'd have to throw in another prospect. The 1st is worse than the 1st they're getting from the Islanders and O'Marra is the same type of player as Chipchura (though not quite as good, IMO) but then they've get another prospect in Nilsson. Maybe SJ 1st, Chipchura + Maxwell would have been closer to the mark.

What I don't like is how all the analysts and reporters on TSN are saying the Habs have no more shot at the playoffs whatsoever because they didn't jump on a goalie.

There is no way the Oilers turn down a 1st rd pick (SJ's pick) and Ryder for Smyth. Or SJ's 1st and Chipchura for Smyth etc. the possibilities are endless without giving up kosty 1 or 2 or Grabs.

As it is the got a first and a third liner with a throw in of a player that might never see NHL ice with any consistency.

This should, and I hope, cost Lowe his job.

Are you kidding? Nilsson and O'Marra are both 1st rounders, so the Islanders essentially gave up two 1st rounders who are still young and a future 1st rounder. Why would any GM take Ryder and a 1st when you're being offered the Islanders deal?

Lowe had to trade Smyth, and he got very good return. He'd been trying to resign Smyth and was unable to do so. Edmonton is no Cup contender, so he got what he could for him. Or for all we know, he and Smyth plan to meet at midnight on July 1st and sign him back.

My biggest problem in doing nothing is that Bob has not shown us what the future of this team is.

He did not trade youth for this season's run or picks for a goaltender.

So yay he is rebuilding through youth.

But he did not trade Souray when everybody else was trading picks and prospects like crazy.

So yay we are going for the playoffs.

WHICH ONE IS IT?

I'll tell you what it is. It is the safe route.

Unless Halak is going to be our saviour how the Hell will Aebischer and Leighton get us into the dance?

There is no clear direction and that is what bothers me. How would trading a 3rd or 4th rounder for Cujo/Belfour hurt the youth movement? We are stuck in perpetual medicority.

And as far as the cap goes next season we will be in pretty good shape if we focus on our youth.

If we resign Bonk/Johnson and Souray what type of hope am I supposed to have going forward??

Another March/April slugfest for 8th again. Yay...sign me up!

Shit or get off the pot. Finishing in 9th place and letting Souray walk would be a disaster.

But now signing Souray puts us in mediocrity because we will be capped out.

That is why I am pissed

Edited by Wamsley01

What I don't like is how all the analysts and reporters on TSN are saying the Habs have no more shot at the playoffs whatsoever because they didn't jump on a goalie.

What you mean Glen "Leaf Fan" Healey, or Nick " Leaf fan" Kypreos or Pierre " Souray, Huet are not NHL players" McGuire?

They know just as much as you or I. Healey and McGuire said Montreal had no shot last year as well.

What has changed....nothing, they still know nothing!

Edited by Wamsley01

What you mean Glen "Leaf Fan" Healey, or Nick " Leaf fan" Kypreos or Pierre " Souray, Huet are not NHL players" McGuire?

They know just as much as you or I. Healey and McGuire said Montreal had no shot last year as well.

McGuire always undervalues goalies. Maybe having to rely on Barasso, who he describes as an a-hole, made him subcoinsciously decide goalies aren't as essential as they really are.

On a positive note, he was just telling Melnick that the new NHL is about scouting, scouting, scouting. On that score, we've been getting better and better lately.

I find the references to Perreault kinda funny. Toronto gave up a pick and a prospect for someone they could have signed a few months ago. Plus for some reason he's mentioned as someone Montreal may have wanted. Didn't we want him gone for the longest time?

Personally I would have gotten a young star for souray and took my chances on the playoffs, without huet and with abby and halak this team is half sunk already. Fans would have understood this move, Habs dont have a chance this year.

I think Ryan Smyth is exactly the player the Habs needed if not for this year but for the next few years. Okay he is 31 but he still has legs. He likes to stand in front of the net, unlike everyone else on the team. He scores a lot of goals on the powerplay. Hope the habs sign him next year. Anyways as for Gainey stand pat attitude, I can't believe we couldn't get anything for Souray of substance. I still doubt the Habs will make the playoffs and if they do with the goalies we have we are going nowhere fast. I could be wrong. I don't know if Souray has told the club he will remain. Anyways

I think Ryan Smyth is exactly the player the Habs needed if not for this year but for the next few years. Okay he is 31 but he still has legs. He likes to stand in front of the net, unlike everyone else on the team. He scores a lot of goals on the powerplay. Hope the habs sign him next year. Anyways as for Gainey stand pat attitude, I can't believe we couldn't get anything for Souray of substance. I still doubt the Habs will make the playoffs and if they do with the goalies we have we are going nowhere fast. I could be wrong. I don't know if Souray has told the club he will remain. Anyways

I think these moves are very short sighted. I just cannot see the upside to paying Souray 5-6 million a year.

And I also cannot believe that they could have gotten a good prospect and a first rounder at minimum and will now get nothing if he walks.

The only way this is worth it for the long term goals of the team in my eyes is to go out and win the Cup this season.

I think these moves are very short sighted. I just cannot see the upside to paying Souray 5-6 million a year.

And I also cannot believe that they could have gotten a good prospect and a first rounder at minimum and will now get nothing if he walks.

The only way this is worth it for the long term goals of the team in my eyes is to go out and win the Cup this season.

Totally agree

I agree with them. Our chances are lower today then a few weeks ago when Huet was healthy. Our hopes of Abbey stepping up seem remote...

Are you kidding? Nilsson and O'Marra are both 1st rounders, so the Islanders essentially gave up two 1st rounders who are still young and a future 1st rounder. Why would any GM take Ryder and a 1st when you're being offered the Islanders deal?

Lowe had to trade Smyth, and he got very good return.

The Ryder and a first is way more then the deal they took.

Ryder is proven and worth more then both former first rounders combined.

The first is a first, not too much difference between the two in a weak draft year..

O'marra will never amount to anything more then a third liner, if he is lucky.

Nilsson is an absolute joke. He is weak on the puck, weak physically and will spend most of his time on the IR if he is in the NHL. A Feisty Ribeiro clone. Plus he is 22....not such a young first rounder huh?

Both guys are 15th overall picks not top end guys and actually maybe even gaffs when drafting them ( Nilsson ahead of Parise and Bernier??? wtf? ).

I'm sure the Oilers feel that Nilsson is a better prospect than Kostitsyn. They are the same age, and Nilsson has a year of NHL experience. As well Nilsson was born and spent his early years in Calgary, so they don't have to worry about any cultural adjustment difficulties. I also think that the Oilers (and I) feel that O'Marra is a better prospect than Chipchura, because O'Marra can skate much better. The first round pick is roughly equal to the Habs own first rounder. So even if Montreal offered Kostitsyn, Chipchura, and their own first, they wouldn't be able to match the Islanders offer.

I think that most of the website fans are *ing at Bob Gainey for not making more moves and depriving them of the chance to * at him for the moves he would have made.

Edited by bobby