Canada tops world popularity poll, Israel is last

Pierre the Great

Canada is ranked No. 1 in a new world popularity poll that looked at attitudes toward 12 major nations. Israel received the worst rating of the group.

The survey polled more than 28,000 people for the British Broadcasting Corp.'s World Service, asking them to rate 12 countries as having a positive or negative influence on the world. The countries on the list included: Britain, Canada, China, France, India, Iran, Israel, Japan, North Korea, Russia, the United States, and Venezuela.

Canada was viewed positively by 54 per cent of respondents while 14 per cent held a negative image.

Israel had the worst rating with only 17 per cent sharing a positive view of the country and 56 per cent with a negative rating.

Iran 18 per cent were positive and 54 per cent negative.

The United States had the third highest negative rating with 51 per cent citing the country as negative and 30 per cent positive.

North Korea had a slightly better rating than the U.S. -- 48 per cent negative and 19 per cent positive.

Japan and France followed Canada with the best rankings. Britain, China and India were all viewed more positively than negatively.

"It appears that people around the world tend to look negatively on countries whose profile is marked by the pursuit of military power," said Steven Kull, director of the University of Maryland's Program on International Policy Attitudes, which conducted the research along with pollster GlobeScan.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Canada is ranked No. 1 in a new world popularity poll that looked at attitudes toward 12 major nations. Israel received the worst rating of the group.

The survey polled more than 28,000 people for the British Broadcasting Corp.'s World Service, asking them to rate 12 countries as having a positive or negative influence on the world. The countries on the list included: Britain, Canada, China, France, India, Iran, Israel, Japan, North Korea, Russia, the United States, and Venezuela.

Canada was viewed positively by 54 per cent of respondents while 14 per cent held a negative image.

Israel had the worst rating with only 17 per cent sharing a positive view of the country and 56 per cent with a negative rating.

Iran 18 per cent were positive and 54 per cent negative.

The United States had the third highest negative rating with 51 per cent citing the country as negative and 30 per cent positive.

North Korea had a slightly better rating than the U.S. -- 48 per cent negative and 19 per cent positive.

Japan and France followed Canada with the best rankings. Britain, China and India were all viewed more positively than negatively.

"It appears that people around the world tend to look negatively on countries whose profile is marked by the pursuit of military power," said Steven Kull, director of the University of Maryland's Program on International Policy Attitudes, which conducted the research along with pollster GlobeScan.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

LOL

Edited by JoeLassister

you really have to fudge to see these numbers as decisively declaring NK more popular than the US.

US had an 11% lead in positive opinion, NK had 3% lead in neg opinion. I also wonder about error margin.

Also the question is kinda crap. Many people might think NK is bad, but that it lacks influence. Some might think NK is bad, but its influence is limited by USA .

Some (certainly not I) might think that NK is bad, but this is good insofar as it keeps US occupied with it and out of other countries' business.

Edited by simonus

I see it as this, think of it as high school.

High School

The Principal: The UN- accused by the Bullies of being too pro Nice Group and too friendly to the Weaklings.

The Nice Group: The smart kids, nice kids, idealistic dreamers, the student organizers. Eclectic group of nerds, normal kids and pacifists

Canada - super nice people, they have no beefs on anyone. Always get high marks in Outstanding Behaviour

Japan - the nerds

France - dreamers

EU- the student group organizer

The Power Hungry Nice: (Ultimate goal is to change the Bullies but the want the power of the Bullies)

Australia- They belong in with the Nice but they have this complex that makes them want to be exactly like the US.

UK- good friends with the Nice but they like to play dirty with the US. They live like the Nice but dream of the power the US has.

The Bullies- They want power, control of the school, and like to take things from everybody. They refuse to be self sufficient so they bully all the other groups.

US- they want your lunch money, they pick on the weaklings, they think the weaklings are out to get them. Desperately want to be in with the Nice but don't like their outlook on life because the bullies are missing something. They have this I want it all complex. They don't like it when the Nice get in their way. They secretly despise the Nice. Think that the principal shows favouritism towards them.

Israel- they're outcasts who gravitate towards the US bullies because it gets them noticed, even though everyone in the school knows they're being used.

The Weaklings - just as bad as the bullies declared all out war on the bullies

North Korea- they're tired of being picked on by the Bullies, they are sworn enemies of the Bullies

Iran- see north korea. They want revenge, but if not they totally want to sabotage the Bullies lives.

The Confused- the lost

Venezuela- nobody knows what to think of them. They're stuck in between the Weaklings, Bullies, and Nice group. They don't like the Bullies so they side with the Weaklings in their feud, but they don't like the weaklings tactics. And some in the nice group have a soft heart for them.

The Goths- (the not to be trusted)

Russia- nobody knows what to make of them, they used to be in the Weaklings but then were embraced by the bullies and the Nice. Now they are looked on with skepticism. They are loners now, nobody knows what side they are on.

The New Kid- (status to be determined)

China- They are just like the Russians except they like to be used and run both the weaklings and the bullies little wars while keeping the nice happy with goods. They have dreams and ambitions of school domination and secretly do not like the Bullies. The bullies think that they own China but its actually the reverse, China owns the bullies. The new kid has stakes in all 7 groups. They could theoretically take on both the Nice, the principal, the bullies and the weaklings at the same time.

They are quickly becoming the king makers.

Druggies- the Dutch

Metal heads- Sweden. Norway, Finland

Hippies- India

1. Jocks/Preps- Germany

2. The girls who get around- Italy

3. Rednecks- Scotland

Emo- Greece

1. Germany? Jocks? I don't see it. That's a very logical, precise country.

2. If you think Italian girls get around, you should go to the Far East.

3. William Wallace would have your head on a pike for that comment.

:D

1. Germany? Jocks? I don't see it. That's a very logical, precise country.

2. If you think Italian girls get around, you should go to the Far East.

3. William Wallace would have your head on a pike for that comment.

:D

Well the legend about Italian girls is that they can't get enough although yeah you maybe right, then there's the Brazilian girls

My point exactly William Wallace. Nobody is that crazy.

Germany or Brazil its a toss up. (edge to Germany because of the dominance in the luge)

Druggies- the Dutch

Metal heads- Sweden. Norway, Finland

Hippies- India

Jocks/Preps- Germany

The girls who get around- Italy

Rednecks- Scotland

Emo- Greece

LOLLLLL :lol:

How can Greeks be emo? Emo kids are rich (usually, but not always) kids who invent problems for themselves and bitch about life.

hmmm then that would be............ Quebec or Alberta. oh wait they're not a country. :P

LOLLLLL :lol:

Well think about it, think some more and the devout hindu is pretty much a hippie. Why else do hollywood types back in the 60's and 70's go to India to get 'lost' and grow their hair really long. :D:lol:

How can Greeks be emo? Emo kids are rich (usually, but not always) kids who invent problems for themselves and bitch about life.

Greeks complain a lot, ever seen my big fat greek weeding?

Israel- they're outcasts who gravitate towards the US bullies because it gets them noticed, even though everyone in the school knows they're being used.

They gravitate towards the US because it gets them noticed!?!?!

Do you have any concept whatsoever about the politics of the middle east?

Picture this....

You have a democratic nation smaller than the State of New Jersey surrounded in every direction by arab dictatorships, many of which would like nothing more than to destroy you.

The State of Israel faces elimination every day and survives under the doctrine of Mutually Assured Destruction. Their alliance and allegiance to the United States is necessary for them to preserve their existence. How else do you suggest trying to fight against an enemy that completely disregards the value of human life.

They gravitate towards the US because it gets them noticed!?!?!

Do you have any concept whatsoever about the politics of the middle east?

Picture this....

You have a democratic nation smaller than the State of New Jersey surrounded in every direction by arab dictatorships, many of which would like nothing more than to destroy you.

The State of Israel faces elimination every day and survives under the doctrine of Mutually Assured Destruction. Their alliance and allegiance to the United States is necessary for them to preserve their existence. How else do you suggest trying to fight against an enemy that completely disregards the value of human life.

First of all Israel is not democratic by any means. Women are second class citizens and of course there is the Palestinian mess.

If you would understand what i was saying it was this.

Israel is a weak nation being propped up and survived on by the US. If it wasn't for the US the Israelis would not have the army they do for example. Since the US wants to be the worlds neighbourhood cop or bully in this case; Israel is that guy at school who is being made fun of by other kids and sucks up to the bullies for their protection. The US protects Israel, not because it wants to per say but because its good for the US interests in the Middle East. So Israel is the geek who does the bully's homework.

First of all Israel is not democratic by any means. Women are second class citizens and of course there is the Palestinian mess.

If you would understand what i was saying it was this.

Israel is a weak nation being propped up and survived on by the US. If it wasn't for the US the Israelis would not have the army they do for example. Since the US wants to be the worlds neighbourhood cop or bully in this case; Israel is that guy at school who is being made fun of by other kids and sucks up to the bullies for their protection. The US protects Israel, not because it wants to per say but because its good for the US interests in the Middle East. So Israel is the geek who does the bully's homework.

I dont think you could possibly be more confused.

I would love to hear your insight as to how women are treated as second class citizens. Israel is the only democratic nation in the middle east, period. Regardless of the Palestinian "mess" as you call it, if you did any research you would see that Palestinians have more rights in Israel then they do in surrounding Arab nations.

Yes the United States supports Israel because its furthers their interests in the Middle East but also because the United States government supports democracies around the world. They provide aid to the State of Israel because they represent the democratic ideal just as is practiced in the US or Canada for example.

As to Israel being a 'weak' nation as you call it again I suggest you look into this a bit further. Israel is a world leading country alongside Canada and America in a significant number of categories. Israel leads the world when it comes to foreign aid and response in times of emergency. They were among the first nations to respond to disasters such as the Tsunami in Asia. They are a world leader in technological development having been responsible for the creation of nemerous intel processors and many of the instant messanging programs we use today (MSN, AIM and ICQ). They are a world leader in medical achievement having created many technologically advanced surgical instruments. Finally they are a leader when it comes to equality rights when it comes to the treatment of women, homosexuals and people of varrying religion.

I suggest that before commenting on an issue as complex as this you do your research, otherwise you just end up looking foolish.

Women cannot get divorces unless the men say so. A man can go out and marry another woman but the woman is stuck.

Its been documented countless of times.

I'm not anti-Israel by any means, its just not a european or north american style democracy.

Its the best in the middle east but its by no means a Canada or France.

http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/MFAArchive/2000_...-%20Israel%2020

Women cannot get divorces unless the men say so. A man can go out and marry another woman but the woman is stuck.

http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/MFAArchive/2000_...-%20Israel%2020

You're taking the information in the wrong context. There is a very significant difference between the laws of the State and religious doctrine. It is true that some sects of Judaism and Islam do not allow women to seek divorce but it by no means the laws of the State. In fact I think you'd find that in Israel most women are entitled to the same kind of rights as they would here in Canada.

Farber, how would you explain the results of the poll? Almost all the participants live in democracies.

Also, a counter to your assertion:

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?ItemID=7663

The problem with that article is where it's coming from. There isn't a single piece of writing on from zmag that is not inherently biased towards Israel. I dont pretend that I dont have an existing bias but there is not a single article on that website in any way supportive of Israel and in any way critical of the Palestinians. I may have my views but I will never agree that Israel in infallible, these people however are afraid to criticize their own cause because for them it is not acceptable.

note: This is a fundamental difference in the movements, a person who is pro-Israel can be critical and retain their credibility within the lobby. A person who is pro-palestinian who is critical is generally pushed away from the cause.

I also want to point out that when I use the words pro-israel and pro-palestinians loosly. I consider myself both pro-Israel and pro-Palestinian because I support the creation of a Palestinian state to exist next to a secure and terror free Israel.

Its the best in the middle east but its by no means a Canada or France.

It's funny by the way that you should include France in your argument. France right now is experiencing the highest increases in anti-semetic violence since the Holocaust against both Jewish and Muslim people and communities. The French view of democracy unfortunately is one of acceptance only if you meet the physical and theological prerequisites.

The problem with that article is where it's coming from. There isn't a single piece of writing on from zmag that is not inherently biased towards Israel.

Israel / Palestine is an issue rife with bias. Would you not agree that the US mass media is overwhelmingly biased toward Israel?

http://www.countercurrents.org/pa-kanazi230306.htm

Anyway back to the question that started this, it is easy to verify for yourself information in the first article, that 3 million Palestinians living under Israeli occupation, that's about 1/3 of the people in Israel, are denied the right to vote. You call that a democracy?